PDA

View Full Version : Working abroad (work visa) how?

heyyo
15-02-2005, 12:30
I wanted to work abroad, but i was wondering how I can go on about doing this?
Is there any agencies that deal in this kind of thing? has anyone got any contacts abroad...? :P

any advice appreciated:confused:

SMHarman
15-02-2005, 12:33
Where?
You can work in the EU without anything more than a passport.
Other countries the requrement varies depending on your age, your skills and the job you want to do.

danielf
15-02-2005, 12:33
I wanted to work abroad, but i was wondering how I can go on about doing this?
Is there any agencies that deal in this kind of thing? has anyone got any contacts abroad...? :P

any advice appreciated:confused:

It depends where you want to go. If it is an EU country, it's a simple as finding a job, moving over and starting work. If it is outside the EU, it depends on the country, but I would assume the relevant embassy should be able to provide you with details.

heyyo
15-02-2005, 13:39
Anywhere really...but how easy is it finding a job though? has anyone done anything like this...let's say i wanted to Canada, what would i need to do

gazzae
15-02-2005, 13:54
Anywhere really...but how easy is it finding a job though? has anyone done anything like this...let's say i wanted to Canada, what would i need to do

Do you have any family in canada? Or was anyone in your family born in Canada?
What job are you looking for, do you have a unique skill?

Oh yes, and a big one for Canada - Do you speak French - not essential but handy.

ian@huth
15-02-2005, 13:54
Have a look at http://www.workpermit.com/

SMHarman
15-02-2005, 13:57
How old are you? What sort of job, skilled (say carpentry), professional (dr., accountant etc), or just labour (bar, mcds, administrative).
Are you looking for a working holiday or something more permenant.

heyyo
15-02-2005, 14:18
20s...administration type of work i am looking for, i dont really have a unique skill lol. I am looking for something permanent in the long run.

SMHarman
15-02-2005, 15:02
for such a generalist position you will have great difficulty in getting into many countries permanently as you will be considered to be taking a job that a national could do.

I guess from the silence that you have no european language skills, so need an english speaking country. I would therefore think that the place to start would be AU/NZ on a working tourist visa. Once you have an employee that does not want to lose you they can sponser a more permanent stay. AU and NZ work on a points based system to get one of these visas. Have a look on their web sites to see how you score and how you can improve your score.

Escapee
15-02-2005, 15:06
I wouldn't suggest Afghanistan! ;)

Theodoric
15-02-2005, 20:12
Apparently the largest group of illegal immigrants in Australia are we Brits. Young people go backpacking over there, decide they like it and simply overstay their visa and get a job (OK, more likely bartending rather than brain surgeon). It would seem that the Australian authorities are not overly concerned by this.

SMHarman
16-02-2005, 03:03
Apparently the largest group of illegal immigrants in Australia are we Brits. Young people go backpacking over there, decide they like it and simply overstay their visa and get a job (OK, more likely bartending rather than brain surgeon). It would seem that the Australian authorities are not overly concerned by this.
and vice versa, similarly it is noted the us economy would grind to a halt if the sent all the mexicans back.