PDA

View Full Version : SB4100 problem

phunkymunky
14-02-2005, 23:41
I have a SB4100 modem that i used use, when my parents took over the account i was sent out a new modem (which i've been using for a few years now). I would like to go back to the SB4100 so i connected it up tonight and its lights cycled through their normal connect process. However i had no acces to the net via any program; irc, p2p, msn, ie or firefox. so i pulled up a cmd box and done ipconfig/all, the modem had obtained an ip adress, dns servers etc, everything seems in order. I also pinged www.google.com from a cmd box and got replys.

Any ideas whats going on here?

thx

carlingman
14-02-2005, 23:55
I have a SB4100 modem that i used use, when my parents took over the account i was sent out a new modem (which i've been using for a few years now). I would like to go back to the SB4100 so i connected it up tonight and its lights cycled through their normal connect process. However i had no acces to the net via any program; irc, p2p, msn, ie or firefox. so i pulled up a cmd box and done ipconfig/all, the modem had obtained an ip adress, dns servers etc, everything seems in order. I also pinged www.google.com from a cmd box and got replys.

Any ideas whats going on here?

thx

I would suspect when you connect this modem up you are getting an IP Address ending in .248 to .253 which is an unregistered IP Address which will allow you to ping or visit the registration server only.

Not too sure whether you will be able to register this old modem with them and I will leave that up to the CS Bods here to answer.

:D

Paul
14-02-2005, 23:57
Why would you want to go back to an old modem, even assuming you could. :confused:

In fact, this sounds a bit suspect ......

phunkymunky
15-02-2005, 00:18
Thanks for that carlingman, you're right it does end in .252.

Suspect, why? i read the modem could be used to act as a mini dhcp server, supporting up to 32 users. My sisters pc gets it net access from mine, therefore my pc has top be on for her to get net access. Sometimes this is just an annoyance so it would be handy if i could get teh old sb4100 modem up and running as it would save me buying a router.

Any ideas how i could get this registered, would phoning ntl help?

Tezcatlipoca
15-02-2005, 00:25
I very much doubt you'd be able to get ntl to register it.

(& I can't see it working to serve up to 32 users!)

I think your best bet would be to just buy a router. You can get them for around 30 quid now. Cheap, easy to install, & well worth it.

phunkymunky
15-02-2005, 00:31
i wasn't suggesting i was goign to get 32 users on it, just stating what teh spec says:) It would only of been 2 pc's.

It was just a long shot. The modem is lying tehre doing nothing and i read it could act as a mini dhcp server, thought i'd check it out and if it worked then it would save me buying a router = more beer tokens for me:p:

thx for help anyway.

rdhw
15-02-2005, 10:44
i read the modem could be used to act as a mini dhcp server, supporting up to 32 users. My sisters pc gets it net access from mine, therefore my pc has top be on for her to get net access. Sometimes this is just an annoyance so it would be handy if i could get teh old sb4100 modem up and running as it would save me buying a router.No. NTL do not permit more than one IP address to be issued by the DHCP server in each cable modem. The SB4100 is no different from any other cable modem in this respect - they all have internal DHCP servers exactly as the SB4100 publicity quotes. However, NTL allow only one address to be used per subscriber account (unless you pay for extra IP addresses, e.g. through the gaming console option). So you would gain nothing by trying to re-install this old modem. If you want more than one user online, either (a) buy a router, or (b) pay for the extra IP address and buy an ethernet switch. The router is normally the cheaper option in the long term.

MrBen
15-02-2005, 13:52
Aside from the DHCP thing, I believe ntl will only allow registrations of modems they currently supply. They stopped supply the SB4100 quite a while ago now.

Ben

Wolf
15-02-2005, 16:27
I have a SB4100 still and never gives me hassle. not sure of the benefit from newer modems but i get what i pay for. I noticed the dhcp in the sb4100 and tried it out but failed. In the early days i looked on sites that help wiht networking and they suggested i plug the modem into a switch and voila all works, rubbish. By the end of it all the router did the job and i never looked back. I now have wired and wireless network ( to lazy to put encryption on ) and using the laptop while sitting on the bog, suppose i better wipe and go.