PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Modem registered to wrong address

familymahone
14-02-2005, 18:10
On Tuesday past (8th Feb) my modem blew up, it is no more. I first got the modem just over 4 years ago when NTL first trialled out the cable service in Belfast. They gave me the modem for free after I completed the 3 month trial. So I rang NTL to get a new one sent out and this is where it all went horribly wrong. It turns out that for the last 4 years I have been using a modem that is registered to my brothers old house in Manchester. This was because I originally signed up using a disc that belonged to him (because NTL didn't send me one out). Anyway Broadband Support say they can't do anything for me as they have no record of my address and for me to contact Customer Services to get it changed. I contacted CS but they told me there was no problem and their records are correct and to contact the technical support people. This has went on for the last 6 days and after speaking to 18 different people I am still no closer to getting it fixed.

So my question is what do I do? NTL seem unwilling or unable to help me over this. I figure I have 2 options:
1. Cancel broadband - have to send a letter to Customer Relations but can I really trust them not to ignore it as they have done my phonecalls.
2. Get a new modem - old modem has ethernet connection. I still have the old disc I first registered with (the manchester address). Is it possible for me to install a new modem using the serial number and pin number from this old disc.

This is really driving me round the bend as I simply can't get NTL to sort it out as the muppets answering the calls couldn't give a crap about me. If anyone can help please, please do.

Acropolis
14-02-2005, 18:37
a new modem wont work too well with old software as it has been updated, my suggestion would be to ring CS and speak to a team leader, explain the situation and if they are unwilling to sort anything out, then ask them to ring tech support whilst you are on the phone and see if they will do a 3 way with tech support and you might get to the bottom of it that way.

failing that blag a fault to get an engineer out to your house and if you get a good one then he will more than likely sort it out for you when he is there, i did it many times for customers.

familymahone
14-02-2005, 18:53
I have been trying to get someone with any seniority on the phone for the last week but without any success. I have been promised call-backs from team leaders but have yet to hear from anyone. I am exasperated from the effort and am fed up with it all. I can't understand how I got it all set-up in the first place if they have no record of my address.

Chris W
14-02-2005, 19:21
:welcome: familymahone

if you PM me some details i will have a look at what's going on, i have a feeling i know what the problem is... probably just needs a little fiddling to get it sorted :)

If you have an account number and postcode and housename that would be handy :) also the details of the address where the modem is registered to.

I am sure one of the team will confirm that i am staff :)

Neil
14-02-2005, 19:23
I am sure one of the team will confirm that i am staff :)

Sure will. :tu:

familymahone
16-02-2005, 17:20
Praise be to monkeybreath, I am sorted. Thank You.