PDA

View Full Version : Set top box modem crashes when under use

AdamD
12-02-2005, 03:03
We've had this problem ever since getting cable internet put through out set top box (It's one of the original boxes)

It happens (for the most part) when downloading large files or more than one computer is accessing the internet.
All of a sudden it'll just freeze and the internet just won't work
The only way to fix it, is to reboot the set top box by switching it off at the wall and back on again.

Can anything be done about this?
My mum tried calling NTL Support and was told it was a firewall/software problem and they wouldn't listen to her.

Chris W
12-02-2005, 06:07
A little more information may be required here....

1) is it a pace or samsung stb that you have? if pace, which model?
2) which version of windows are you running?
3) are you using any peer to peer software?
4) what model of router are you using?
5) when you say downloading, what do you mean, http/ ftp/ bittorrent etc?
6) are you using firewall, antivirus and anti-spyware software, and if so,which ones?
7) have you tried your connection without the router? if not, do so, and if so, does this show an improvement?

AdamD
14-02-2005, 15:26
A little more information may be required here....

1) is it a pace or samsung stb that you have? if pace, which model?

It's a Pace STB, one of the originals, I'll get the model number/type later.

2) which version of windows are you running?
Doesn't matter, it's not software, it's the actuall STB/Modem.
But i'm running Windows XP Home and Windows 2000 Professional
(Three computers)

3) are you using any peer to peer software?
Yes, Bittorrent, Bearshare lite

4) what model of router are you using?
Doesn't matter, it crashes with or without the router.

5) when you say downloading, what do you mean, http/ ftp/ bittorrent etc?
Anything
It could be downloading a single file via HTTP, or when using bitorrent.

6) are you using firewall, antivirus and anti-spyware software, and if so,which ones?
Even with them off, it does the same.

7) have you tried your connection without the router? if not, do so, and if so,
does this show an improvement?

Yes, it does the same thing, it isn't software, it's an actuall crash at the STB end.

MovedGoalPosts
14-02-2005, 15:36
I had an similar issue, when I had a PACE STB, replacing it with a Samsung made improvements, but I did still get some crashes. It was most vulerable when P2P was being used.

Look at how many connections your systems are allowing simultaneously. See if there is an improvement if you reduce these. You may also with P2P stuff want to try settings that don't allow the full upload and download bandwidth to be used, say maximise at 75%.

I'm not saying there isn't something wrong with the STB, or equally the cable connection, just that some self help may improve things.

AdamD
14-02-2005, 15:42
Well I did try reducing the bandwith used so it was 50kb max download and 5kb max upload (I'm on the 750k service), but it had no effect
It crashed again shortly before posting this and all I was doing was downloading something at 19.9kb/sec and checking my emails.

Graham M
14-02-2005, 15:54
we had this a while back, it was the result of too much signal beleive it or not, i think the engineer put us on a lower tap. Im cosidering asking for a separate Cable Modem.

quadplay
14-02-2005, 16:24
When you say the STB crashes, do you mean just that the Internet goes off, or that the whole box crashes, and it no longer responds to key presses or decodes TV pictures?

AdamD
14-02-2005, 16:44
When you say the STB crashes, do you mean just that the Internet goes off, or that the whole box crashes, and it no longer responds to key presses or decodes TV pictures?

Just the internet, sorry
I guess I meant to say, the internal modem crashes.
If the router is connected to it, and I release and try and renew the IP address, it just says "Discovery", like it can't see the STB
The same happens if a PC is attached to it directly, it'll fail at the renewing ip address and/or it'll say there's "Limited network connectivity"
The only way to solve it is to turn it off at the powerpoint, then turn it back on

Chris W
14-02-2005, 16:47
Just the internet, sorry
I guess I meant to say, the internal modem crashes.
If the router is connected to it, and I release and try and renew the IP address, it just says "Discovery", like it can't see the STB
The same happens if a PC is attached to it directly, it'll fail at the renewing ip address and/or it'll say there's "Limited network connectivity"
The only way to solve it is to turn it off at the powerpoint, then turn it back on

does the mcns light (second one down on the right of the channel number) go off/ start to flash when the connection drops?

AdamD
14-02-2005, 18:21
does the mcns light (second one down on the right of the channel number) go off/ start to flash when the connection drops?
Hmm, I'll let you know when it does it again, I didn't take notice of that light

Just did it again, literally minutes after posting this

The first and second light stay illuminated, they don't flash or do anything at all
The third (Which I assume is the one that flashes when you change the channel?) is off.

Chris W
14-02-2005, 19:24
Hmm, I'll let you know when it does it again, I didn't take notice of that light

Just did it again, literally minutes after posting this

The first and second light stay illuminated, they don't flash or do anything at all
The third (Which I assume is the one that flashes when you change the channel?) is off.

The third light is for the remote control :)

If you PM me the serial number from the card i will have a little look in work tomorrow to see what i can find out about what is happening :)

AdamD
14-02-2005, 19:42
The card? You mean the one that goes in the slot on the left hand side?

I appreciate the help by the way, it's driving us mad :)

Neil
14-02-2005, 19:45
The card? You mean the one that goes in the slot on the left hand side?
Yes-that's the one. :tu:
It's also sometimes referred to as the 'Smart' card FYI. :)

AdamD
14-02-2005, 20:05
Number on the card is

Mod Edit (Matt D) - number removed

Tezcatlipoca
14-02-2005, 20:12
Adam,

It's not a good idea to post personal information like that in public. You should send the number to monkeybreath via a Private Message (PM) - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/private.php?do=newpm&userid=1586

Don't worry, he does work for ntl, & can be trusted :)

AdamD
14-02-2005, 20:25
Bah, now I have to go get the card again :P

Thanks, is that serial number abusable by hackers or something?

Tezcatlipoca
14-02-2005, 20:27
Bah, now I have to go get the card again :P

Sorry!

Thanks, is that serial number abusable by hackers or something?

No idea, personally, but it's always best IMO to not post things like that (& also MAC addresses, IPs, etc.) in public.

AdamD
14-02-2005, 20:31
Sorry!

So you should be :P

No idea, personally, but it's always best IMO to not post things like that (& also MAC addresses, IPs, etc.) in public.

Allrighty, i'll have to get it tomorrow though as people are watching cable down stairs.