PDA

View Full Version : Do you think we are alone in space?

Electrolyte01
11-02-2005, 23:21
Simple poll.

What do you think?

Ramrod
11-02-2005, 23:41
'Course not

Raistlin
11-02-2005, 23:44
Put it this way.....

There'd better be intelligent life in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Electrolyte01
11-02-2005, 23:44
There'd better be intelligent life in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Haha! :D :p: :tu:

jamesclarke555
12-02-2005, 00:27
No and anyone who thinks otherwise is either religious, ignorant or both ;)

There could even be life in our own solar system; on Jupiterââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s moon Europa, which is basically an ice planet, underneath the ice may lie vast oceans with god knows what swimming around :D

Obviously conditions have to be just right for intelligent life to exist and there may only be a small percentage of a given planets life where this can happen. Picture primitive Earth, it was a total wasteland and very uninhabitable.

Earth canââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t be the only planet in the Universe that lies in the †œcomfort zoneââ‚ ¬Ã‚.

If science has taught us anything, it's that life can thrive in the most hazardous of environments.

Halcyon
12-02-2005, 00:27
I beleive there are lifeforms elswhere.
Look at what we have discovered living in the depths under the oceans and in places where there is no oxygen but other gases. It shows lifefroms do exist in other environments.
I am sure there are other creatures elswhere.

Electrolyte01
12-02-2005, 00:35
I beleive there are other intelligent species out there. There's far too many galaxies and universes to think there isn't. It's just a matter of when, and how we find them.

Well taking part in SETI@Home is getting us closer to finding them :D

Earl of Bronze
12-02-2005, 00:58
Well the odds that with 150 billion or so planets in our galaxy, and 150 billion or so galaxies in the observible universe, then the odds are stacked against it that we are the only ''intelligent'' life in the universe. I think only monumental arrogance or ignorance will let people argue against reason. If the basic building block of life (amino acids) can be found floating around in the ''void'' of interstellar space, then I think its reasonable to assume that life (in whatever shape or form it takes) flurishes ''out there''.

Graham
12-02-2005, 02:09
Whilst, technically, I should put "Don't know", because there's no proof, frankly I think it's incredibly unlikely that we are the *only* life in the entire universe!

bopdude
12-02-2005, 05:46
Deffo not, 'nuff said :shrug:

punky
12-02-2005, 07:04
One thing that makes me laugh, about these so called scientists at NASA, they always say "No life on that planet, its too cold" or "no water" or "sulphur dioxide in the air". That surely means there are no humans on the planet. Surely though, as we live off oxygen, can't an alien evolve to live off something else? Like CO2 of SO2? And be able to survive harsh temperatures? Seems myopic of them.

AndrewJ
12-02-2005, 07:31
I so agree Punky there we are looking at the wrong forms of life, how do we know life is just carbon based humaoid people, they could be tiny microscopics, they could have a totally different makeup and even be in a different plane to us in the universe, they could be made of gas and just pass right through us and not need ships to move in space.

END of the day no one knows. But something sure as hell is out there.

Gogogo
12-02-2005, 08:45
Simple poll.What do you think?

I know I surely must be an alien, simply because I'm so awkward and stubborn.

:D

Thorn
12-02-2005, 09:05
It would be very naive of us to believe that despite the size of the universe that we could possibly be alone. There are probably millions of civilisations just like ours dotted about the universe. Either they are advanced enough to avoid us (who would blame them?) or not advanced enough to make contact.

Electrolyte01
12-02-2005, 10:05
or not advanced enough to make contact.

Well we have been trying for a couple of years, sending signals out to different parts of space but so far the SETI@Home team havn't got anything interesting back :(

I do remember the "wow" signal though, was supposed to be most acceptable signal that intelligent life exists, but now however many times they try to get it from the same location again they can't find it.

Linky can be found here: http://www.planetary.org/html/news/articlearchive/headlines/2001/Wow.htm

So far SETI@Home only use the Arecibo observatory (which doesn't cover much of the sky) but they have already said they will be able to use other observatorys soon, such as the array in Mexico (which would help a lot!).

ikthius
12-02-2005, 10:06
there are other life forms out there, look at the vulcans, klingons & Borg........... :dozey:

to be honest I think that there are other life forms out in the glaxy and of course the universe, it is too vast and within all the solar systems, there will be comfort zones. and it is very closed minded of people not to entertain the possibility of it.

life jim but not as we know it.

ik

Nidge
12-02-2005, 10:17
Of course there is other life out there, I bet their broadband connection doesn't drop twice a day like NTL's does. :D :D :D :D There is a place not far from us called Langwith it's a hive of activity for UFO spotters and sightings, the photos that have been published in the local press are amazing. On a clear night they recokon there are 3-4 sightings.

Electrolyte01
12-02-2005, 10:18
Of course there is other life out there, I bet their broadband connection doesn't drop twice a day like NTL's does. :D :D :D :D

And I bet the prices are cheap :D :angel:

Nidge
12-02-2005, 10:23
And I bet the prices are cheap :D :angel:

:D :D 200meg for a few zools a month :D :D All the music you can download and put on the CD for nothing :D :D

Electrolyte01
12-02-2005, 10:25
:D :D 200meg for a few zools a month :D :D All the music you can download and put on the CD for nothing :D :D

Only problem is they probably don't use binary, probably something WAAAAY more confusing! :disturbd:

ian@huth
12-02-2005, 10:30
Well we have been trying for a couple of years, sending signals out to different parts of space but so far the SETI@Home team havn't got anything interesting back :(

I do remember the "wow" signal though, was supposed to be most acceptable signal that intelligent life exists, but now however many times they try to get it from the same location again they can't find it.

Linky can be found here: http://www.planetary.org/html/news/articlearchive/headlines/2001/Wow.htm

So far SETI@Home only use the Arecibo observatory (which doesn't cover much of the sky) but they have already said they will be able to use other observatorys soon, such as the array in Mexico (which would help a lot!).
SETI may never show anything is out there. I don't know that there is someone in the room if the lights are out and I am blindfolded with loud music being played into my earphones. We are looking for other lifeforms using our technology which may be very primative at the side of others. We know that other creatures can hear sounds that we can't so why can't other lifeforms communicate in ways that we do not understand and at frequencies that we never look for. History has shown that life here has seen many wars and battles both between types of creatures (man killing bugs, etc) and between humans themselves. Other planets may have life on them which has similarly gone to war amongst themselves and with other civilizations that they have found. Such wars may have resulted in cloaking devices being invented which mask all emmissions coming from their planet. Many people make the mistake of thinking that civilization here on Earth is as advanced as it can get but in reality we may know next to nothing.

Graham M
12-02-2005, 10:36
Only problem is they probably don't use binary, probably something WAAAAY more confusing! :disturbd:

Binary is easy, its Hexidecimal that is a killer. Now Base 10 is sooooo difficult ;)

Mick
12-02-2005, 11:26
Like others, I believe we are not alone out there, the problem is space, the universe is so vast. Who knows, they might even be here (http://www.waroftheworlds.com/) already. ;)

Graham M
12-02-2005, 11:33
Do you earn money from posting that link? ;)

ian@huth
12-02-2005, 11:39
Do you earn money from posting that link? ;)
Do you make money from the DVDs for sale in your link? I had to laugh when I clicked it. :LOL:

AndrewJ
12-02-2005, 11:43
Nice movie trailer...may give it a watch.

Graham M
12-02-2005, 11:50
Do you make money from the DVDs for sale in your link? I had to laugh when I clicked it. :LOL:

Nah, I just CBA to change it. Will do in a mo :)

EDIT: Happy now? :)

AndrewJ
12-02-2005, 12:17
As for the topic lmao, anyone had experiences with Aliens then lol...i aint personally but curious.

ian@huth
12-02-2005, 12:59
As for the topic lmao, anyone had experiences with Aliens then lol...i aint personally but curious.
How can you be sure that you haven't?

We may be aliens ourself for all we know. Take a religious view and presume that Noah was from a planet far, far away. Along came the flood and Noah built his ark (spaceship), loaded it up and off he went eventually landing on a suitable planet which he called Earth. He may have gone to many planets picking up two or seven from each till his ark was full. Who knows given the passage of time.

Electrolyte01
12-02-2005, 13:05
We may be aliens ourself for all we know.

We ARE aliens to other aliens. Or, they might call them something completly different, but along the same line that's for sure :erm:

AndrewJ
12-02-2005, 13:06
lol true man true..sadly we seem to own this planet. apart from the goverments...I think SETI should look in there first, they probally are the stupid ones who waffle waffle and more waffle..perhaps noah could drop them off in the sun perhaps??

ian@huth
12-02-2005, 13:19
We ARE aliens to other aliens. Or, they might call them something completly different, but along the same line that's for sure :erm:Sure, but I meant alien to Earth. :)

Padawan
12-02-2005, 23:44
I firmly believe that aliens DO exist - probability arising from the number of galaxies would suggest that.

Are they here now ? Who knows, but I think some governments may have made it all out to be a conspiracy theory to cast a fog and distract us from other goings on.

Have aliens been here before ? Maybe, who were the Nephilim in the Bible who came into contact with Moses ? (maybe someone more religious than me knows the text well, but I seem to remember it describes them as flying with trails of fire or similar)

Also, where did the inspiration for the pyramids come from ? We cannot build them that well now for all our technology !?

ZrByte
13-02-2005, 02:53
I firmly believe that aliens DO exist - probability arising from the number of galaxies would suggest that.

Are they here now ? Who knows, but I think some governments may have made it all out to be a conspiracy theory to cast a fog and distract us from other goings on.

Have aliens been here before ? Maybe, who were the Nephilim in the Bible who came into contact with Moses ? (maybe someone more religious than me knows the text well, but I seem to remember it describes them as flying with trails of fire or similar)

Also, where did the inspiration for the pyramids come from ? We cannot build them that well now for all our technology !?

Dave Lister from red dwarf describes how the ancient Egyptians built the pyramids best I think "they had whips man, massive whips" :D
(for those that don't get it he was implying that a 'little' motivation goes a long way ;) )

As for life on other planets, I dont see how it couldnt exist. Even if 100,000,000,000 different criteria have to be met in order for a planet to have the perfect conditions to support life this would still mean billions of planets capable of supporting life, and even this is assuming that all life is carbon based, if its not the possibilities are endless.
Infact given the sheer amount of planets/solarsystems probability dictates there is likeley another race of humans almost identicle to us out there, possibly in the depths of space, possibly in one of our nieghbouring solar systems. Possibly more advanced than us, possibly still scratching thier asses with twigs.

AndrewJ
13-02-2005, 11:24
pmsl, aye there is a likelyhood of alien life out there.

"the surest sign there is intelligent life out there is that they have not contacted us yet"

Theodoric
15-02-2005, 19:31
I'd like to think that there is, but I put forward the following reason why perhaps not. One theory concerning conditions that allowed life to originate on earth says that the large tides were necessary as they caused currents that allowed mixing in the sea. The earth-moon system would appear to be rather unusual in the relative sizes of the earth and the moon and is possibly quite rare. So, if large tides are necessary for life to start . . .

And even if life can easily start, I put forward the following reason why intelligent life may be rare. Intelligent life has taken 4.5 billion years to arise on earth. Although the sun has another 5 billion years before it becomes a red giant and engulfs the earth, I believe that in about another billion years the energy from the sun will have risen enough to probably make the earth too hot for life. If we are in any way typical, it could well be a close run thing on whether intelligent life develops before it is too late.

And, of course, there's always Fermi's paradox. If there's intelligent life out there, why hasn't it colonised the earth yet. A quick calculation will show the nature of the problem. Our galaxy is about 100,000 light years in diameter. If a space-travelling race has ships that can travel at only 1% of the speed of light, then travelling from start to star, developing an industrial civilisation on each and then travelling on, it should only take them about 10 million years to colonize the galaxy. The universe is about 1300 times as old as this this, plenty of time for it to have happened. So, where are they?