PDA

View Full Version : UBR and area codes

therogue
11-02-2005, 22:51
Two things, 1. the area codes you use, are they just postcodes? otherwise how do you find out what area you're on? (eg HG5, ST16)

2. What does UBR stand for and what exactly is it?

BBKing
11-02-2005, 23:35
1. No idea what you're on about!

2. Universal Broadband Router - Cisco's brand name for their range of Cable Modem Termination Systems - the kit that translates digital cable data signals into IP - essentially interfacing between the cable network and the internet.

Ignition
11-02-2005, 23:58
The area codes are just the first part of a postcode, the first half of postcode narrows down where a person is (maybe) to uBR level but without giving away where they are to the nearest 20 houses.

When we say 'loss of service in CB1 area' means that some people in that area have lost service, IE CB1 1AA, CB1 2AB are dead but CB1 3AC might not be depending if its' on the same nodal area (bit of network ;) ) as the other 2 areas.

Easier to say CB1 than list dozens of individual postcodes.

Easier for people to understand as well than saying 'customers on Cambridge Headend universal Broadband Router 3, Cable Modem Termination System card 4, Upstreams 0, 1 and 2.......

therogue
12-02-2005, 08:41
Any advice on exactly how to get through on support to have the load on my UBR checked and possibly move my account to another one? (following on from advice given in my UT2004 packet loss thread)

Ignition
12-02-2005, 12:39
Certainly, to be moved to another uBR you need about £5000 for a new 7206 router, then another few thousand for a VXR backplane.
Following on from this about £10,000 for a new MC16 card, then at least the same total amount again for a new optical node, receiver and patching at the hubsite / headend, labour, the new fibre run required, etc, etc you get the picture :)
If you have packet loss but no consistently inconsistent pings a move of uBR or resegmentation won't help.

therogue
12-02-2005, 15:04
I do have consistently inconsistent pings :)

And I got the idea from smilie's reply here; http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=393669

Any advice? :)