PDA

View Full Version : How many NTL engineers does it take to fix this?

Strzelecki
11-02-2005, 19:31
Been trying to get NTL to fix the brown box on the front of my house for 2 months now, the front of it's disappeared, ripped off by someone or something. I have now called NTL 3 times and had 3 engineers come out to look at it. All have said something along the lines of 'ooh er I don't have the part I'll rebook a team to come and fix it' (how many people does it take to fix it!?). Of course nothing ever happens and I phone again. My broadband has been working fine through this time but it won't be long before it's not! The problem is shown in the attached image and also the card that was left from todays visit with the note 'Have rebooked...looks like it was not done' No way! Does anyone have a spare front for one of these boxes? Might as well fix it myself!:D

Tezcatlipoca
11-02-2005, 19:48
The front of my brown box has been missing for at least a couple of years now :erm:

Did try & get ntl to send someone out to fix it, a while back, but they never turned up.

Been meaning to phone them about it again, but keep forgetting. Everything still seems to work OK though...

MetaWraith
11-02-2005, 20:36
Have you tried an old plastic container and duck tape ?
Patent the idea/process and then sell it to NTL as way something they could sall as a DIY way of reducing that sort of complaint.

greencreeper
11-02-2005, 20:40
They don't have the part - i.e. the front presumably. But they must have the whole box otherwise they wouldn't be able to do installations. Now if the whole box was damaged... ;)

dragon
11-02-2005, 21:20
They don't have the part - i.e. the front presumably. But they must have the whole box otherwise they wouldn't be able to do installations. Now if the whole box was damaged... ;)

they still wouldnt get around to fixing it...

alex250
11-02-2005, 21:46
drop me a pm with address and will try to get sorted for you on monday

d0pey
11-02-2005, 22:21
Have you got an RG11 pull to your house? Looks quite big for a RG6.

Strzelecki
11-02-2005, 22:28
Well judging by the cable thickness I'm guessing it's RG11 but I'm not going outside to check, it's raining! Why?

d0pey
12-02-2005, 10:01
No I was just thinking that was a bit mad because you dont even have the feed split. Maybe you are miles from the black cabinet. Or the installation crew only had RG11 on the installation day.

alex250
12-02-2005, 11:43
its rg6 you can tell by the blue ring around the connectors

absl
12-02-2005, 12:47
What a waste of money if you've had 3 techs (service I presume ?) to try and repair this fault.

If there's a missing cover, a service tech should be able to resolve this - unless there's some other issue.

:dozey:

Nedkelly
12-02-2005, 20:09
I can not belive that i enginner did not see that and put a new lid on it.In the midlands we get these jobs all the time most of the time the customers are out it takes 5 mins to put a new lid on

Strzelecki
12-02-2005, 20:29
Er I'm in the Midlands, Stoke-on-Trent, and every time I've booked an engineer I've made certain they won't need access to my house so I don't have to stay in. The box is right on the street (terraced) and it's only a matter of time before some someone walks past and give the cable a quick pull. I've only every had 2 faults with my NTL service (the other was at my previous address where all that was needed was an attenuator fitting) and both have taken over a month to even be touched, let alone be fixed! Good going!

Chris W
13-02-2005, 04:09
I had the same problem, but i called fault, explained it was missing and they sent someone round 2 days later who covered it and problem solved... not sure what has gone wrong in your case :S

Nidge
13-02-2005, 07:41
Been trying to get NTL to fix the brown box on the front of my house for 2 months now, the front of it's disappeared, ripped off by someone or something. I have now called NTL 3 times and had 3 engineers come out to look at it. All have said something along the lines of 'ooh er I don't have the part I'll rebook a team to come and fix it' (how many people does it take to fix it!?). Of course nothing ever happens and I phone again. My broadband has been working fine through this time but it won't be long before it's not! The problem is shown in the attached image and also the card that was left from todays visit with the note 'Have rebooked...looks like it was not done' No way! Does anyone have a spare front for one of these boxes? Might as well fix it myself!:D

It's Kelly communications you need to be getting on at NTL sub contract the work out to Kelly communications.

Mick
13-02-2005, 07:59
Er I'm in the Midlands, Stoke-on-Trent, and every time I've booked an engineer I've made certain they won't need access to my house so I don't have to stay in. The box is right on the street (terraced) and it's only a matter of time before some someone walks past and give the cable a quick pull. I've only every had 2 faults with my NTL service (the other was at my previous address where all that was needed was an attenuator fitting) and both have taken over a month to even be touched, let alone be fixed! Good going!

If alex250, cannot get this sorted for you on Monday, send me a private message with a name and contact number. I will happily send an e-mail into ntl on your behalf and arrange for someone to get this ridiculous situation finally resolved for you.

Bill C
13-02-2005, 10:25
If alex250, cannot get this sorted for you on Monday, send me a private message with a name and contact number. I will happily send an e-mail into ntl on your behalf and arrange for someone to get this ridiculous situation finally resolved for you.

Or me i know the phone numbers of the managers for that area.Can make some calls.

Tezcatlipoca
13-02-2005, 12:37
Strzelecki - both alex250 & Bill C do work for ntl :)

Strzelecki
13-02-2005, 20:28
Ok thanks for the offers of help. I will see what magic wand alex250 can wave first!

nfs6600
13-02-2005, 22:32
Er I'm in the Midlands, Stoke-on-Trent, and every time I've booked an engineer I've made certain they won't need access to my house so I don't have to stay in.

Who did you tell this too? They should have informed you this was not possible. Customers need to be in for the entire timeslot no matter what the fault is. This is so we can verify that the work has been carried out and they services are working correctly. Faults/CMC should never have said that you do not need to be in the premises. I know this can be a problem for customers who work during the week but unfortunetly that's the way of things.

Paul

Strzelecki
14-02-2005, 10:39
I can't remember now, I've spoken to 4 different people on 3 seperate occasions and they've all said the same thing. The names may be written down at home. It's not a huge problem, I'm in all day at least 1 day a week.

alex250
14-02-2005, 10:48
I will see what magic wand alex250 can wave first!

maybe not a magic wand but i have a screwdriver which gave you a shiny new cover this morning before 9

Strzelecki
14-02-2005, 14:23
Wow, did you do it personally!? Thank you very much! So access to the house wasn't required luckily as I'd already left to go to uni by then. Thank you very much alex and everyone else who offered help!

alex250
15-02-2005, 15:20
yes it was me personally, took less than a minute.

glad i saw it on the forum and could help.

OinkyBoinky
15-02-2005, 15:59
yes it was me personally, took less than a minute.

glad i saw it on the forum and could help.

now thats some dedication from the ntl staff...

dragon
15-02-2005, 17:08
now thats some dedication from the ntl staff...

id say, now all ntl need is a few more people like that! :D

@ alex250 big :tu: to ya mate

nfs6600
15-02-2005, 18:44
id say, now all ntl need is a few more people like that! :D

@ alex250 big :tu: to ya mate

It's full of people like Alex. It's just getting the information to that person. I've helped lots of people myself too, whether it be people on the internet, friends or family. At the end of the day I'm an ntl employee and therefore represent them, so it's my duty to do everything I can to help the paying customer.

You will be pleasently surprised how many people in ntl go out of their way to help customers. We have some excellent staff, unfortunetly you rarely hear of the good things that ntl acheive, its bad news that attracts the media.

Paul

dragon
15-02-2005, 18:55
so true paul so true... its always the bad things that people tell everyone about...

Strzelecki
15-02-2005, 22:36
Yep. that's true. Although to be fair to NTL and me going through the usual channels, I called the 4 times, never had to hang on more than 10 rings, always got through to someone who knew what I was talking about and always got an engineer booked for the very next day. The break down just occurred between someone dealing with the engineer booking and the engineer actually reading my account notes. But thanks to Alex it all got sorted. Should have really had to come to this though!

chunt
22-02-2005, 19:58
This is a hart worming thread!
I have a tear in my eye as i type in the light off this proff of human kindness!
:)

nfs6600
22-02-2005, 21:36
All areas (harmony) are now next day bookings (with the exeption of Cambrige and stafford and sourrounding areas) Some even have same day booking! The lead times are getting better everyday, we are ven bringing jobs forward which is always a plus for the customer

wizardman
23-02-2005, 11:21
looks like you will have to go nick 1 off an empty house *very naughty* lol

BootBoy
23-02-2005, 14:23
This is a hart worming thread!
I have a tear in my eye as i type in the light off this proff of human kindness!
:)

What, pray tell, is hart worming?:confused: :D :confused:

chunt
02-03-2005, 20:38
Sorry dyslex.