PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Networking... help!

goblin
10-02-2005, 16:27
Hi,

I am merely at the planning stage in this. With no previous experience of Networking never mind the Wireless variety.

I am looking for recommendations of equipment for the following;

A means of Wirelessly connecting my NTL Cable Modem wirelessly to a laptop (running WinXP Home) and a standalone computer (running Win98se). But whatever equipment I choose, has to be compatible with ADSL (just in case NTL implement a hardcap).

If there isn't a product compatible with both NTL Cable and ADSL. Then recommendations as to the cheapest NTL wireless solution would be appreciated.

Can anyone offer any advice/recommendations on such equipment?

Thank you!

edit - spelling

SMHarman
10-02-2005, 16:48
Linksys WRT54G
This is a router only so if you move to ADSL you will need to get a ADSL modem with ethernet output (not USB) but will do the job well. This normally means you have to my your ADSL modem not get a freebee from your ISP, but the freebee is usually part of the upfront install cost, so look for the right ADSL ISP (which as a b/w user I'm sure you will be) and they will have a lower install cost and no inclusive ADSL modem.

Raistlin
10-02-2005, 17:19
Agreed, I'm using the Linksys one at the moment and it's a really good product.

Don't try and shortcut the process by getting a wireless ADSL modem now though as it won't be compatible with the NTL setup.
Far better to get a wireless router and then get the ADSL modem if you need on as SMHarman has said above.

goblin
29-03-2005, 14:09
Hi,

Time for me to resurect this old topic. Thanks to those that replied, sorry I didn't manage to get back to it sooner.

I need further advice, as I am receiving conflicting opinions on whether this linksys WRT54G is the most suitable router for my needs.

What I wish to do with my wireless network is the following. I need to connect my laptop when in another room, but I would like to be able to connect back and be able to control my desktop. I would also like to be able to invite a friend to either play alongside or against me on the laptop, whilst he\she shall be on the desktop. At a later date, I wish to add items such as an xbox (for use as a PVR ie: mythtv) to the network as well as a PS2 and Gamecube from time to time. Also, if I am sharing my connection with someone on the desktop and they are downloading, I would like the ability to limit how much bandwidth they use without it impinging upon what I am doing. As well as provide me a stable, secure network (an inbuilt firewall would be an advantage I suppose?). And finally, I wish to retain the ability to change to ADSL should it be required.

With all this in mind. I phoned various suppliers and sought their advice and received replies that I don't need a Linksys WRT54G, Oh no... :( I need either a Belkin F5D7230, D-Link DI-624, Belkin F5D7231uk4, or a Netgear FWG114P apparantly?! :confused:

It would seem that the Linksys WRT54G is known to be "a poor performer", "unreliable", "unstable when used on NTL", "requires constant rebooting" etc etc. All of that said, after reading posts on these forums amongst others, it would seem that most routers are unreliable etc. :cry:

My questions therefore are:

a)Am I expecting too much from this router?

b)Which other router is likely to match my needs if not the Linksys WRT54G?

c)Is there a router manufactured that is known to be robust, easy to install and use etc?

Help!

Thank you!

TigaSefi
29-03-2005, 14:24
I think all routers are to a degree, unreliable and unstable. Just have to make a decision to whom you want to work with the most. I have brought a complete linksys system yesterday for my ADSL wireless setup and I hope it goes well.

SMHarman
29-03-2005, 14:30
The only time i have rebooted my WRT54G is when I had to perform a full reset because I had lost the password.

It occasionally gets rebooted as a result of power cuts in the area but it has been a set and forget product.

Linksys has a wireless gaming adaptor which is supposed to be good for connecting PS2 / XBox etc

The router has some whizzy thing on it that allows port setup easily for gaming and the like. Any other wireless device will connect to it (I have an apple AirPortExpress connected to mine streaming itunes).

Bandwith limitations and QoS are not part of the functionality, you would need to do this at a desktop level. I'm not a gamer, but I have not noticed performance issues with multiple access, even when shifting 70Mb of files from one internal PC to another and then running a backup (so shifting it again to a backup drive), or while streaming itunes wirelessly to the HiFi and surfing / working on docs.

The only time the connection seems to drop on me is when opening 100+Mb Outlook PST files.

So I would still state that the WRT54G will fit the bill but it's your benjamins

Gooch
29-03-2005, 16:05
Goblin

I was in exactly the same situation as you. I just bought a Sweex router from Scan. My wireless network was up and running in minutes. And its pretty cheap.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=143929

GeoffW
29-03-2005, 16:14
Any of the ones you listed will be fine although you'll get better wireless performance from pre N routers. AFAIK there are no commodity routers that will do the QoS traffic control you want, to get this you'll need to pay a lot more. (like £250) Nearly all have integrated switch ports to give you the local network connections you need.

I've got a Belkin and it is stable enough for me. Your biggest problem is likely to be the wireless range which generally is obscenely over stated.

SMHarman
29-03-2005, 16:24
The linksys BEFSR81 does, but that is wired only so you would need to set up a WAP in addition to the router.
Can you do QoS over Wireless?

Raistlin
29-03-2005, 16:37
The Linksys (as per my signature) has been a reliable, secure, rock steady, unfaltering performer since day 1. I can't comment on the other aspects of what you are trying to do but I certainly wouldn't fail to recommend it to anybody on the basis of my own personal experiences. I would even stake my reputation on it.

nffc
29-03-2005, 23:42
No probs with the Belkin either.

ultimate
30-03-2005, 00:03
I am thinking of setting up wireless too, do these routers you have mentioned work with my STB? I am connected using USB Ethernet at the moment, I have thousands of questions to ask, I'll save them for later.

Raistlin
30-03-2005, 00:14
The routers mentioned should work with your STB but you will probably (read "almost definitly") need to switch to an Ethernet connection.

ultimate
30-03-2005, 01:47
My apologies to Goblin for highjacking the thread.

As for the PC would you recommend the PCI wireless card, or the USB wireless "thingy"?

I do not know the logistics of installing a wireless router, I presume they have sufficient instructions with the router to enable me to link up all my computers, once this is done, do I just plug in the router to where my USB to Ethernet adaptor is plugging in now, (a wall socket which leads to my STB), and I also presume re booting the STB and registering the router with NTL and that should be it, am I right, or have I left out load of steps?

goblin
30-03-2005, 16:53
Thanks to everyone for their replies once again. Much appreciated :tu:

To:
Any of the ones you listed will be fine although you'll get better wireless performance from pre N routers.

Can you please explain what a "Pre N router" is please?

AFAIK there are no commodity routers that will do the QoS traffic control you want, to get this you'll need to pay a lot more. (like £250)

Ouch! And here was I thinking that a £100 for a router was expensive :)

I've got a Belkin and it is stable enough for me.

Having read that Belkin provide "Lifetime Support" somewhere or other, I was inclined to go with them immediately on that basis alone. I have a feeling that I maybe needing them.

Your biggest problem is likely to be the wireless range which generally is obscenely over stated.

In reality, if it will find me when I am sat between 20 and 30 feet away, all be it through one wall of 8 inches or so. I shall be happy.

One thing I haven't investigated however, is how I connect the desktop to the router? I have a Motorola Surfboard CM, which is presently connected to a NIC inside my desktop. Do I need to purchase any additional cables? Or is everything I need included in with the router?

Any hints?

Thanks again.

nffc
30-03-2005, 17:17
Any hints?

re: wireless range. It will be overstated but the range of 54g is over what you should need anyway.

What is more important is siting of the router, also the sitings of the individual PCs most notably where the antennae of the adaptors are.

Water, metal, microwaves, cordless phones, will also degrade your signal.

The Belkin PCI adaptors are fine apart from the aerials. They basically screw straight onto the card and that's where all the wiring for your PC is. I got a new antenna on a wire and moved it miles away from the pc and the coverage is miles better, almost no downtime now.

The usb ones are quite good as they come with extension stands so you can put the adapter miles away from the pc.

As for siting of the actual router obviously you're going to need to cable it away from your STB or SACM so it's governed by that. You could get ntl to set you up a SACM or move the existing one if you're getting signal issues. Basically the same restrictions apply: keep it central to your PCs, avoiding metal, water, microwaves, etc etc.

One final note... the security measures are there for a reason and that reason is to stop unauthorised access to the lan. Use them. Particularly useful are:
- MAC address filtering... only lets "allowed" addresses on the lan but these can be cloned. It's a decent start though.
- WEP encryption... encrypts your data so it can't be read by "snoopers"
- Don't broadcast the SSID [change it]
- Change the router's default password :)

anything i've missed?

goblin
30-03-2005, 20:58
Any hints?

re: wireless range. It will be overstated but the range of 54g is over what you should need anyway.

That's good news then.

What is more important is siting of the router, also the sitings of the individual PCs most notably where the antennae of the adaptors are.

Water, metal, microwaves, cordless phones, will also degrade your signal.

I must admit this is something that I hadn't considered. I have my desktop in a corner, opposite to where the broadband cable enters the room. Within this corner I have a Panasonic DECT phone. The only place to put the router itself would be ontop of the computer sub-woofer. Even though it is reportadly "shielded", I take it this may cause a problem?

The Belkin PCI adaptors are fine apart from the aerials. They basically screw straight onto the card and that's where all the wiring for your PC is. I got a new antenna on a wire and moved it miles away from the pc and the coverage is miles better, almost no downtime now. The usb ones are quite good as they come with extension stands so you can put the adapter miles away from the pc.

Is this antenae a generic product or is it specific to Belkin?

One final note... the security measures are there for a reason and that reason is to stop unauthorised access to the lan. Use them. Particularly useful are:
- MAC address filtering... only lets "allowed" addresses on the lan but these can be cloned. It's a decent start though.
- WEP encryption... encrypts your data so it can't be read by "snoopers"
- Don't broadcast the SSID [change it]
- Change the router's default password :)

Very useful advice. :)

anything i've missed?

Errm don't think so. :confused: :)

SMHarman
30-03-2005, 22:34
The linksys BEFSR81 does QoS, but that is wired only so you would need to set up a WAP in addition to the router. This cost about 50.

My wireless router had virtually 0 range sat on top of the PC next to a metal filing cabinet. Great range now I have 3m CAT5 cables and it is on the top shelf nearby (ooher)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=12

nffc
30-03-2005, 23:58
re: Belkin antennas... the one that comes with the card is wack and i had to spend about 10-15 smackers on a new one. HTH.

goblin
01-04-2005, 18:15
Well I bit the bullett as they say and today purchased the following items:

1 Linksys WUSB54GP 54Mbps Wireless-G Portable USB Adapter
1 Linksys WRT54G 54Mbps Wireless-G Broadband Router

They should be delivered by 12PM tomorrow... hopefully! :)

I was going to go for the D-Link range of products due to their small form factor, but in the end thought that what with the number of happy linksys users around here, I really should join this happy band ;)

So is there anything I should do to prepare my system for installing the above hardware on my desktop. Other than implementing whatever security protocols that are included as soon as possible?

Thanks.