PDA

View Full Version : Cheap car insurance?

Macca371
09-02-2005, 21:21
Does anybody know of a cheap car insurance provider?

Tried www.elephant.co.uk, was quoted £3,000 third party :shocked:. £4,800 for comp. I only earn £3,800 from my part time job!

printerman
09-02-2005, 21:26
Personally i use tesco....they have been the cheapest i've ever had. I did have a golf 2.0 GTi. P reg..i was 28 and had it two years. Cost me £330 fully comp but i guess thats due to my age and lots of no claims (touch wood!). I gave up the boy racer car and bought a brand new 1.3 getz....now about £195 fully comp......

Maggy
09-02-2005, 21:28
Does anybody know what a cheap car insurance provider?

Tried www.elephant.co.uk, was quoted £3,000 third party :shocked:. £4,800 for comp. I only earn £3,800 from my part time job!

And you with the name Diamond ask this question.No of course you have to be female to use Diamond insurance. ;)

Chris
09-02-2005, 21:36
Does anybody know what a cheap car insurance provider?

Tried www.elephant.co.uk (http://www.elephant.co.uk), was quoted £3,000 third party :shocked:. £4,800 for comp. I only earn £3,800 from my part time job!

A quote like that basically means the company isn't interested in insuring the likes of you (i.e. a young driver). You ought to be able to get a much better quote than that, but be warned, it'll still be steep, and you will still get penalised for your age right up until your 25th birthday.

You can try all the usual direct insurers - Norwich Union, Direct Line and Churchill for starters - or, given your circumstances, it might be simpler to just get a broker to do the searching for you. AA and RAC car insurance are brokers rather than direct sellers.

Chimaera
09-02-2005, 21:39
Try Confused.com (http://http://www.confused.com/) , my daughter has had similar problems but she got a resonable quote from them with 2 different companies for the past 2 years.
I am with Direct Line (http://http://www.directline.com/motor/welcome.htm) , they have been the cheapest for me for a couple of years, and I have protected ncd and Class 1 business use too.

gary_580
09-02-2005, 21:40
Try getting a policy in your name but add one o your parents on to it. It can reduce the premium

they have been the cheapest for me for a couple of years, and I have protected ncd and Class 1 business use too.

kerb crawler? :D

Macca371
09-02-2005, 21:40
Thanks everyone :tu:

Chimaera
09-02-2005, 21:42
kerb crawler? :D
Nah - I work for the Council! Don't think that's one of the services they offer - yet! :D

Shaun
09-02-2005, 21:46
moneysupermarket.com also have a comparison page for motor insurance :)

punky
09-02-2005, 21:53
Wow... What kind of car/record have you got? If you have a particularly powerful/exclusive car or a really bad record, you will do best checking the speciality ads in the back of Max Power and Top Gear

For standard companies More Than and Admiral are about the same, and very cheap. Worth checking out.

Steve H
09-02-2005, 21:57
What car have you got?

Hope you havn't been stupid and got a car before checking the insurance out??? ;)

Anyway, do pass plus... NU offer up to a 50 % discount with it.

gary_580
09-02-2005, 21:59
What car have you got?

Hope you havn't been stupid and got a car before checking the insurance out??? ;)

Anyway, do pass plus... NU offer up to a 50 % discount with it.

pffttttttttt NU and their Indian Call Centre :mad:

swoop101
09-02-2005, 22:01
http://www.its4me.com/

I got them through swinton and they saved me £200

Macca371
09-02-2005, 22:26
It's only a Renault Clio 1996 and I don't even have a full license yet, never mind any offences!

The quote which I mentioned above was calculated on the basis that I do pass plus aswell :(.

Trying confused.com atm, quote not come through yet...

Couldn't give me a quote as I stated I don't own the car as yet. :(

Raistlin
09-02-2005, 22:38
It's only a Renault Clio 1996 and I don't even have a full license yet, never mind any offences!

And that's your problem, even though they might be quoting you on the basis that you will pass your test (and your pass plus) you will almost certainly find that you get a better quote once you have actually passed.

Car insurance is a real pain in the arris though, I know - I had an accident 2 days before my first year's NCD was due, completely screwed my insurance for the next few years.

Noting what you've said above, I actually found that Elephant provided me with the cheapest quote by far when I changed car last year (they beat Tesco by about £150!).

I know it's bad now but once you hit 25 and you've got a couple of years NCD under your belt it will come down dramatically!

ZrByte
09-02-2005, 23:13
The two best I found where Tesco and Liverpool Victoria. There was actually only a £4 difference in my quote between Tesco and LV and I did get a fairly cheap quote for my age and experience.
£740 Per anum with 0 experience and im 21. though my car is only insurance group 2, If I remember right the 96 clio 1.2 & 1.4 are insurance group 3 so it will be a bit more.
ASDA insurance of wich I get an extra 10% because I work for the company wanted £1,900, robbing gits.

scrotnig
09-02-2005, 23:19
The two best I found where Tesco and Liverpool Victoria. There was actually only a £4 difference in my quote between Tesco and LV and I did get a fairly cheap quote for my age and experience.
£740 Per anum with 0 experience and im 21. though my car is only insurance group 2, If I remember right the 96 clio 1.2 & 1.4 are insurance group 3 so it will be a bit more.
ASDA insurance of wich I get an extra 10% because I work for the company wanted £1,900, robbing gits.
This is often the way with 'negotiated' discounts, especially for younger drivers.

As an AA member I get at least 10% off their insurance quotes. Shame they're always at least 20% more expensive than everyone else!

I pay an absolute stonking fortune because of where I live. Until last year the cheapest I could get was £900, this year it unexpectedly fell to £447 but that is still outrageous.

I have shopped around and done everything I can but it won't come down. Inner city addresses is the problem.

snodvan
10-02-2005, 00:15
My son (just 18) started to drive as a learner just 6 weeks ago. I did a lot of searching for a suitable insurance cost and by a long, long way Liverpool Victoria was the cheapest. For mum, me only the quote was £390 (no ncb) on N reg Fiat Punto. Adding the 18 yr old pushed that to £800 FULLY COMP but that compared to a jump to around £2000 for Tesco and most others. If there is a claim mum or I have to pay the first £100 but if the son is driving that jumps to £300 - reasonable.

Ps - he has passed the theory exam and will not have a problem with the practical