PDA

View Full Version : broadband in another house

maddywork
09-02-2005, 20:46
hi all....i was wondering...
i have ntl 1.5mb broadband installed in my house and am using a laptop.
i'm going away for a few days to my parents who have ntl cable tv in their house.
can i just take my cable modem and my laptop to their house and use it there for the duration of my stay.....????
maybe get a splitter, one cable going to their tv and one going to my cable modem?????
is this possible......????....i'm gonna be really bored if it isnt!!!!
any replies most welcome
cheers
maddy:)

gary_580
09-02-2005, 20:58
No you cant.

maddywork
09-02-2005, 21:00
oh ok....bummer.
cheers:confused:

Acropolis
09-02-2005, 21:22
not so sure about this one, i cant really think of a reason why it wouldnt work, but then again i cant think of a reason why it would work, if that makes sense. so long as your MAC address is registered on NTL's system, then it should work (which it will be), so long as the system doesnt take note of which node the modem should be recieveing its signal through and if it connects through a different node then it wont let it or something along those lines, then i can not thin of a reason why it wouldnt.

its not as if they have to activate a particular freq or service down the individual line to the house, as this is just not possible as NTL do not know which tap and port the drop cable is connected to, so the bb signal should already be there to the house, and i am guessing, but i would imagine that the speed of your connection is dictated by the MAC address and when it connects to the system etc etc.

give it a try and see what happens, dont know whay NTL would have to say about this cant imagine them been very happy about it, but i wont tell em if you dont :p:

can someone please correct me if i am wrong with what i have put here. be interesting to know if this does work or not.

nostra
09-02-2005, 21:34
to cut a long story short it depends where your parents live in relation to you

lets for one second assume u get the connections working at your parents house and split it successfully

you would need to be in an area which serves the same dhcp server that you are already registered on otherwise it would treat you as a pre-registered customer

but ....

a) you shouldnt really be doing this (in ntl's eyes) i believe this would be a breach of their t&c's
b) splitting to me sounds a bad idea aless you know what you are doing

SLM
09-02-2005, 22:39
I can not see why you can not do this, you are paying for the "system" so it should not be a problem however I can only see 1 problem you could have if you change franchise areas eg going from Glassgo to London!!! I think it would work if you where going say from north manchester to south manchester, (so long you are using the same headend/server):tu:

nostra
10-02-2005, 08:26
I can not see why you can not do this, you are paying for the "system" so it should not be a problem however I can only see 1 problem you could have if you change franchise areas eg going from Glassgo to London!!! I think it would work if you where going say from north manchester to south manchester, (so long you are using the same headend/server):tu:

it would be a case of checking the t&c's to see what they say if the person involved is really that interested

zoombini
10-02-2005, 08:52
Oh to heck with it, you can but try.....

nostra
10-02-2005, 08:55
ultimately the question is

are you near to your parents or are they far away? this will ultimately answer your question

etccarmageddon
10-02-2005, 09:18
...i would imagine that the speed of your connection is dictated by the MAC address and when it connects to the system etc etc.

the speed of your connection is dictated by a config file held within your cable modem. this file is downloaded from the ntl network.

maddywork
10-02-2005, 16:16
thank for your replies guys....have not tried it yet as i am going tomorrow nite over to their house....with the "splitting the cable" talk.......all i was going to do was put a splitter on the end of the main cable cumin in2 the house....one output going to the ntl pace box and the other output goig into my cable modem.

my parents live approx 25 miles away....me being in manchester (m8 area) and my parents being in the pendle area of lancashire (with not giving to much away...lol).
so to summarize it could possibly work but then again i would have to try it.
like someone has already said in a reply to my original post..i have already subscribed to ntl 1.5 mb and am paying monthly to them, so i would just like to get what i have paid for even though it's not at the registered address.

i will try and get back to u all and let u know if it has worked or not.
cheers all for the replies and help.
maddy

Acropolis
10-02-2005, 17:05
be careful when splitting the feed, if you split it in the omni box or outside then make sure that you put an isolator in the line before it reaches you modem, as if there is a problem with NTL's system then it would blow your modem and not the isolator, i would take the feed from the cable that runs to the STB that is currently installed.

it doesnt happen very often, but not so long ago there was an instance of part of NTL's system got hit by lightning and blew a load of isolators rather than anybody's equipment.