PDA

View Full Version : music artists unhappy at legal downloads

kronas
23-06-2003, 01:38
apparently some of the biggest artists which include madonna linkin park radiohead are unhappy at the apple Itunes legal download system as it charges 99$ a cd and has proved very sucessful

but some groups now require albums to be bundled instead of releasing singles and they ( the artists ) are concerned that if they allow singles to be released it could cause compaines undercutting each other and cause a slumb in album sales

more in the link

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1919550

bopdude
23-06-2003, 02:20
Like anyone in " the know " is gonna pay, not that i condone illegal downloads but the average john doe is not gonna pay for what he can get for free

matty4donna
23-06-2003, 03:43
i will pay for an album/single that is worth the money. However for most music i would not pay for the whole album for the odd song or two that is good. I have bought more albums this year then ever, yet i have also "illegally" and "legally" downloaded more music then ever before.

I cannot understand why the artists do not condone legal downloads, after all they are still recieving thier loyalty fee's etc...

This is absolutely rediculous!

kronas
23-06-2003, 13:19
Originally posted by bopdude
Like anyone in " the know " is gonna pay, not that i condone illegal downloads but the average john doe is not gonna pay for what he can get for free

well the itunes service is proving very popular in the states so people are legally d/l music :p

dieselking
25-06-2003, 00:31
If albums weren't so bloody expensive to buy less people would download songs. You're expected to buy 1 album (about 10 songs) for £10-£13 (what a totally rip off) no wonder everyone (Including me) downloads them

poolking
25-06-2003, 07:42
Aren't these artistes ever satisfied??

They complain when people download their music illegailly and now they're complaining that they might not make enough money if they release singles for legal download.

Talk about having your cake and eating it. :rolleyes:

Lord Nikon
25-06-2003, 10:58
wouldn't be so bad if some of these "artists" actually released decent music, but some are simply revamping songs from the 50s 60s and 70s...

Madonna - American Pie (Original Don McLean)

Louise - Stuck in the middle (Original Steelers Wheel)

ad infinitum

even Apollo 440 have released a remake of the 1970s track Don't Fear The Reaper by the Blue Oyster Cult..

And then the BMI wonders why sales drop.....

Chris
25-06-2003, 11:38
Originally posted by bopdude

iTunes has sold $5 million worth already, and that's only to Mac users in the US. So the statistics tend to suggest that lots of John Does are quite happy to part with 99 cents for a decent track.

I have access to the iTunes Music Store on my machine although I can't currently buy anything from it as I don't have a US billing address. The service is worth having anyway, just to have access to thousands of preview tracks and vids all on my desktop without even having to open a web browser. Can't wait 'til they start selling in the UK.

Dave Stones
25-06-2003, 11:44
they can forget my business if they are complaining about charged downloads. i was seriously contemplating this but no way josÃÃâ€*’© now...

Peter
25-06-2003, 13:57
I remember Linkin Park saying when asking about people sharing their music; "Download that sh#t!"..

However I can see why they'd want people to buy the album online and just just a couple of songs.

timewarrior2001
25-06-2003, 16:29
I can remember when linkin park were a good band, then they cashed in with a remix album and released a piece of rubbish by the name of meteora. Still I guess they have suffered to mkae their money, just like Metallica, and madonna.

As far as I am concerned these people need taking down a peg or two.

kronas
25-06-2003, 16:39
linkin park are crap anyway there music is lame

timewarrior2001
25-06-2003, 16:43
avril fans shouldnt be allowed to express an oppinion, due to mental retardation :)

but seriously each to their own, if people wanna buy manufactured untallented pop crap then let em, I never bother with music charts anyway.

{FU}Fubar
25-06-2003, 16:50
ya know what gets me ? when sodding music artist moan and whine , lets take madonna , she's filthy rich.... and complains when her albums sale's arnt doing to well.......... maybe she should stop being greedy and wanting money foir ***** songs she piuts out and writes some bloody decent stuff for a change, she has done in the past..... and that goes for the rest of the music industry that try and rip us off with shoddy music that we wouldnt even **** on if it was on fire...... less crap and more decent music please..... ya know the people that write there own songs plays there own instruments and so on ? ...... all a bunch of money grabbing selfcentered bunch of children they are.

kronas
25-06-2003, 16:52
Originally posted by timewarrior2001
avril fans shouldnt be allowed to express an oppinion, due to mental retardation :)

but seriously each to their own, if people wanna buy manufactured untallented pop crap then let em, I never bother with music charts anyway.

OI!!!!!!

but well all artists these days are manafactured anyway the rest money grabbers i think there are hardly any REAL artists around

zoombini
26-06-2003, 09:57
Half of them dont write the songs anyway, they get someone else to do it for them..

I download the occasional album, mainly for the wife & kids to try out. If they like it they get a proper one, if they do not all it has cost us is a 30p CDR.

I have no guilt about doing this. It is a way of life these days.

timewarrior2001
02-07-2003, 09:11
:D http://www.thebrainstrust.co.uk/article.62.2844.html:D

kronas
02-07-2003, 14:47
Originally posted by timewarrior2001
:D http://www.thebrainstrust.co.uk/article.62.2844.html:D

'President Bush in a secret deal engineered by Presidents Bush and Blair during the last Iraqi conflict, in which Britain officially became the 51st US State. This enables the RIAA to exercise jurisdiction within the UK. They will also be able to enforce licensing of karoake sessions, and spot checks on public houses, bars and other venues. It also includes on-the-spot fines and confiscation of karaoke equipment. In extreme cases the RIAA will be able to arrest and detain offenders for up to 7 days without being charged.'

rotflmao the RIAA has a uk arm now :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

aliferste
02-07-2003, 15:38
Ach well.......they can stick it up their arses then.......if they dont like it they can lump it while people download there music of p2p :)

Idiots.

Theodoric
04-07-2003, 20:25
Originally posted by kronas
'President Bush in a secret deal engineered by Presidents Bush and Blair during the last Iraqi conflict, in which Britain officially became the 51st US State. This enables the RIAA to exercise jurisdiction within the UK. They will also be able to enforce licensing of karoake sessions, and spot checks on public houses, bars and other venues. It also includes on-the-spot fines and confiscation of karaoke equipment. In extreme cases the RIAA will be able to arrest and detain offenders for up to 7 days without being charged.'

rotflmao the RIAA has a uk arm now :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
And many a true thing is said in jest. Have you seen the latest extradition agreement that our "Did you say jump, sir? How high, sir?" government has agreed with the US. In essence, the US authorities don't have to provide any proof of the alleged crime, just proof that the alleged criminal is who they say he or she is. When asked why it wasn't reciprocal, apparently the Home Office says that the US Constitution prevents people being deported to the UK with the same lack of proof of a crime!