PDA

View Full Version : 300k instead of 600k?

Tindo
07-02-2005, 21:42
After 2 months, without internet, Ntl finally gave reconnected the internet on friday. Basically they dis-connected the internet because we didnt pay the phonebill(Moreinfohere: http://forums.ntlhell.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6777 ). When the internet was reconnected, its was slow(we have network). I then reliased that Ntl gave us 300k instead of 600k.

I told my mum, that the internet is a bit slow, and she showed the email from NTL:
>Hello -------
>
>I have re-connected your broadband service, sent a test signal and all is now OK.
>
>You will be billed from today for the 300kbps service at £17.99 per month.
>Your e-mail address is
>-------@ntlworld.com
>and the password is
>**********

We had 600k for more than 2 years, now they give us 300k instead of 600k, after they stopped our internet for 2 damn months. I believe our internet then was upgraded to 700k (?) without increasing the price.

Does anyone here (or before), pay £19.99 per month for broandband cable 600k/750k??? Because my mum is telling me she used to pay £19.99 for either 600k/750k per month before NTL stopped the internet (in december). I am asking this because I checked on ntl website its they charge £24.99 for 750k, none for £19.99.

Graham F
07-02-2005, 21:45
did your mum pay for her modem when she first started with BB?

Vegeta
07-02-2005, 21:46
Yes, the normal price for 750k (soon to be 2mbit) is £24.99

Tindo
07-02-2005, 21:51
Yeah

Installation was free

Yes, the normal price for 750k (soon to be 2mbit) is £24.99

So how much do customer's who originally had 600k(who got upgraded to 750), pay? Is it £19.99 or £24.99?

I am not talking new cutomers who just joined with 750k.

Chris W
07-02-2005, 21:57
Yeah

Installation was free

So how much do customer's who originally had 600k(who got upgraded to 750), pay? Is it £19.99 or £24.99?

I am not talking new cutomers who just joined with 750k.

It has been £24.99 for ages.... definately before the 600k upgrade.

JohnHorb
07-02-2005, 22:01
I suspect Graham F has the answer. I think I've read on here before the people who originally bought their own modem (when that option was available) got a discount.

Tindo
07-02-2005, 22:10
If original 600k owner's with discount,who are paying £19.99 for 750k, Do you think NTL will let us have 750k for £19.99, just like what we were paying before. Since it was their fault for shutting us down. Otherwise if they hadnt had shut us down we would be paying £19.99 instead of £24.99.

paulyoung666
07-02-2005, 22:12
If original 600k owner's with discount,who are paying £19.99 for 750k, Do you think NTL will let us have 750k for £19.99, just like what we were paying before. Since it was their fault for shutting us down. Otherwise if they hadnt had shut us down we would be paying £19.99 instead of £24.99.

ask them , bet they dont though :disturbd:

swoop101
07-02-2005, 23:09
Since it was their fault for shutting us down.

Hang on a bit, they turned you off for none payment so it is YOUR fault. :erm:

EDIT: Ooooppps just read the link in first post, sorry. :(
leaves room and goes to stand in the naughty corner

Foo Fighter
08-02-2005, 00:38
i guess if you bought that modem say your selling it(dont have to) and they must come round and install a rented one as your paying for it anyway...

hopefully you will get some discount if they realise its more hassle for them to come round and install a modem?

Tindo
08-02-2005, 06:06
It has been £24.99 for ages.... definately before the 600k upgrade.
I am not trying argue here. Can you tell me what was my mum paying with £19.99?

Neil
08-02-2005, 07:19
I am not trying argue here. Can you tell me what was my mum paying with £19.99?

She was paying for 512/600k (depending where you lived at that time) broadband.

The fact that it was £5.00 less than normal suggests (as Graham & John suggested earlier), the she got a discount for buying her own cable modem originally.

There has been many many problems when people up/downgrade their BB packages when owning their own modems over the years, as ntl no longer apply the discount once up/downgraded.

Should you get £5.00 off you monthly BB bill as you own your own modem? Yes-in my opinion you should get that £5.00 off per month regardless of what speed package you are on.

ntl in their usual lame way never communicated anything about this to customers, & it was only when people up/downgraded that the issue came to light on their next bill (it was still not even mentioned during the upgrade phone call so that the customer gets a choice to stay on the current tariff/price :dozey:

People have contacted ntl & got the £5.00 per month discount re-applied, but you will have to go high up to get your plight heard, as all the CSRs that members have encountered when ringing after getting their bills is "There's no £5.00 discount available once you up/downgrade.

That's no good after the event, & ntl should honour the £5.00 discount as long as they have your business IMO. :)

List of contacts here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=28).

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Thorn
08-02-2005, 12:12
Sales Department do a reduction for a period (think it's twelve months) down to 19.99 for 750k for new users. That may be it. You don't need to buy your own cable modem either. They are so worthless that NTL won't even bother picking them up if you don't want it anymore.

ian@huth
08-02-2005, 12:24
She was paying for 512/600k (depending where you lived at that time) broadband.

The fact that it was £5.00 less than normal suggests (as Graham & John suggested earlier), the she got a discount for buying her own cable modem originally.

There has been many many problems when people up/downgrade their BB packages when owning their own modems over the years, as ntl no longer apply the discount once up/downgraded.

Should you get £5.00 off you monthly BB bill as you own your own modem? Yes-in my opinion you should get that £5.00 off per month regardless of what speed package you are on.

ntl in their usual lame way never communicated anything about this to customers, & it was only when people up/downgraded that the issue came to light on their next bill (it was still not even mentioned during the upgrade phone call so that the customer gets a choice to stay on the current tariff/price :dozey:

People have contacted ntl & got the £5.00 per month discount re-applied, but you will have to go high up to get your plight heard, as all the CSRs that members have encountered when ringing after getting their bills is "There's no £5.00 discount available once you up/downgrade.

That's no good after the event, & ntl should honour the £5.00 discount as long as they have your business IMO. :)

List of contacts here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=28).

Good luck, let us know how you get on.
I don't see any reason why NTL should still be giving a £5 discount to users who bought their own cable modems. These customers have saved far more than the cost of the modem over the years and months they have used it. Cable Modems don't cost anything like as much as they used to and therefore would have a much lower rental value if indeed the monthly cost includes a modem rental charge. You might have more of a point if those customers were still getting the same speeds and paying the same prices as they were at the time of purchasing the modems.

orangebird
08-02-2005, 12:27
<snip>They are so worthless that NTL won't even bother picking them up if you don't want it anymore.

No, they're hardly 'worthless' - without them (or an stb) you wouldn't be able to get bb :dunce:

I'm sure what you mean is that the cost of buying a new modem is much less to ntl than the costs of retrieving and refurbing a used modem. :)

Neil
08-02-2005, 12:32
I don't see any reason why NTL should still be giving a £5 discount to users who bought their own cable modems. These customers have saved far more than the cost of the modem over the years and months they have used it. Cable Modems don't cost anything like as much as they used to and therefore would have a much lower rental value if indeed the monthly cost includes a modem rental charge. You might have more of a point if those customers were still getting the same speeds and paying the same prices as they were at the time of purchasing the modems.

Simple reason Ian-Because ntl never said to any customers that the price would change if they up/downgraded.

You can't just move the goalposts Ian, without communicating the facts up front. :nono:

By the way, did I tell you that everyone that posts today has to give me £10.00? I know know we never mentioned it when you signed up, but........;)

Graham F
08-02-2005, 12:45
when ntl offered the modems for sale there was only 2 levels of BB 64k (hardly BB) and 512k so the price only applies to these for the above reason :)

simple i would say.... £10 in the post neil :p:

Neil
08-02-2005, 12:54
when ntl offered the modems for sale there was only 2 levels of BB 64k (hardly BB) and 512k so the price only applies to these for the above reason :)

That's a fair point m8, but when they introduced new tariffs what they should have done is informed customers that their BB bill would be £5.00 more, & given the customer the choice to accept or decline.

What they actually did was say nothing, waited for customers to get their bills & ring in, & when they did told them that there was nothing that could be done. :rolleyes:

Charming, but not unexpected from ntl....:dozey:

simple i would say.... £10 in the post neil :p:
Cash only please m8! :D

[Edit]To the usual address please....;)

Thorn
08-02-2005, 13:07
No, they're hardly 'worthless' - without them (or an stb) you wouldn't be able to get bb :dunce:

I'm sure what you mean is that the cost of buying a new modem is much less to ntl than the costs of retrieving and refurbing a used modem. :)

I am referring to the amount of effort it takes for NTL to pick up the Modems after you have disconnected the broadband service, for whatever reason.

ian@huth
08-02-2005, 14:06
Simple reason Ian-Because ntl never said to any customers that the price would change if they up/downgraded.

You can't just move the goalposts Ian, without communicating the facts up front. :nono:

By the way, did I tell you that everyone that posts today has to give me £10.00? I know know we never mentioned it when you signed up, but........;)
Not having bought my own cable modem I don't know how the service was billed. Was it shown as a discount or just as a lower price? Normally when a company publishes a new price list it takes the place of existing prices and all customers should expect to pay the new rates.

Never the less, customers who bought their own modems and are still subscribing to broadband have recieved it cheaper overall than those who didn't buy.

I remember the £10 that is due to you today quite well and you did mention it when I signed up. I have the flyer kicking about somewhere, will see if I can find it. It said that £10 was due if you posted today which was a one off fee for administration of the £10 per post payment that the site would give to members for all posts they have made to date. ;)

Chris W
08-02-2005, 14:12
here's my contribution

http://www.d.umn.edu/~inteduc/Handbook/tenpound.jpg

:)

Tindo
08-02-2005, 16:46
Thanks for help.

My parent rang Ntl, this morning while at I was at school, now the internet is now 600k Broadband, I know this because I did Dan Elwell's Broadband Test, its says 600kb/s:

Test 5: Download speed from UK servers
Ideally, you should get a result around 600kb/s (higher is better)
This is what you actually got: 282Kb/s.
This results shows serious problems with your downloads, and should be investigated.

I am disappointed to get another problem again, I guess I am getting speed 282Kb/s, just like other people in Oxford who getting slow speeds.

I was kinda suprised to see 600k instead of 750k, because I thought everyone who had 600k got upgraded to 750k without increasing the monthly price.

ian@huth
08-02-2005, 17:05
Thanks for help.

My parent rang Ntl, this morning while at I was at school, now the internet is now 600k Broadband, I know this because I did Dan Elwell's Broadband Test, its says 600kb/s:

Test 5: Download speed from UK servers
Ideally, you should get a result around 600kb/s (higher is better)
This is what you actually got: 282Kb/s.
This results shows serious problems with your downloads, and should be investigated.

I am disappointed to get another problem again, I guess I am getting speed 282Kb/s, just like other people in Oxford who getting slow speeds.

I was kinda suprised to see 600k instead of 750k, because I thought everyone who had 600k got upgraded to 750k without increasing the monthly price.

The 600k mentioned in Dan's speed test comes from information that you have supplied and not from any testing. The 282Kb/s is about right for the 300k service.

Tindo
08-02-2005, 17:24
Ahh i see, I supplied that info ages ago, i forgot about that. thanks for correcting.

Graham F
08-02-2005, 17:28
try rebooting the modem if that fails you haven't been upgraded still :)

Tindo
08-02-2005, 20:02
I rebooted the modem, same results, I guess they forgot or cant be bothered.

Tindo
14-02-2005, 14:21
My parent just phoned NTL today, and they said offer/discount was only for one year. But we have used that for like 2 years. I wish they didnt mess up in December we would be paying £19.99 for 750k.

Anyway they said they will upgrade to 750k and charging £24.99.

Thanks for help.