PDA

View Full Version : Cable modem spontaneously rebooting

squealy
07-02-2005, 20:12
Hi there. For the past week I've had serious problems with my cable modem rebooting itself. An engineer visited today and said the problem was that the signal to the CM was too strong (46-47 whatever that means) He fitted two "attenuators" to the back of the CM. However, my CM has already rebooted itself 3 times since the engineer left 5 hours ago (which is a slight improvement - it rebooted itself 117 times in 2 days last week according to broadband tech support :mad: )

The problem seems to get worse at "busy" times i.e at weekends and the evening up until about 10pm, after which it only reboots itself once every hour or so. :mad:

Any of you techies got any suggestions as to what the cause of these reboots might be as the engineer seemed to think that he'd solved the problem but clearly hasn't.

The modem is an Ambit 100 and I'm on the 300k connection and running XP Pro.

(I will be ringing to arrange another appointment as soon as the CM reboots itself again and I have a few days to spare hanging on the phone at my own expense. It might be nice to have some possible causes to make to the next engineer).

Sorry if I've asked a stupid question or asked in the wrong place.

homealone
07-02-2005, 20:28
hiya

you might like to have a read of one of Robin Walkers superb pages from his website

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html#reboot

which shows how to get to the modem diagnostics & gives some advice on what the range the results for power level etc, should fall into.

Note also that he lists a number of other potential causes for this behaviour, including that the modem itself may be faulty - let us know how you get on :)

squealy
07-02-2005, 20:37
Hi homealone. That's all greek to me I'm afraid, but I did manage to get this:

Cable Modem Configuration
Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.99 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 32.88 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 43.00 dBmv

They all appear to be (just about) within the specified ranges as far as I can see. But then again you could write what I know about cable modems on the back of a very small stamp.

Chris W
07-02-2005, 20:47
Hi homealone. That's all greek to me I'm afraid, but I did manage to get this:

Cable Modem Configuration
Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
MAC address :
IP address : 10.186.xx.xx
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.99 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 32.88 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 43.00 dBmv

They all appear to be (just about) within the specified ranges as far as I can see. But then again you could write what I know about cable modems on the back of a very small stamp.

First of all... if i was you i would edit your post to remove the mac address and ip address for security reasons :)

Secondly, call tech support regarding your problem.... 0845 650 0121 because it looks like you need an engineer visit
NB- don't call tonight because of systems maintenance... anytime from tomorrow morning and they will be able to get it booked in.

homealone
07-02-2005, 21:00
First of all... if i was you i would edit your post to remove the mac address and ip address for security reasons :)

Secondly, call tech support regarding your problem.... 0845 650 0121 because it looks like you need an engineer visit
NB- don't call tonight because of systems maintenance... anytime from tomorrow morning and they will be able to get it booked in.

er - yep, what he said, especially edit out your mac & IP. ;)

- shame the systems maintainance had to be tonight, though.

squealy
07-02-2005, 21:25
Silly me. Thanks for that monkeybreath.

Is there some way I can phone tech support from work to rearrange my appointment? Last time I tried they told me I had to be at home because they had to run two tests before they could give me an engineer appointment, but is that necessary in this situation? I mean I've already done these "tests" twice now. Of course the cable modem appears to be working fine - it's an INTERMITTENT problem.

Chris W
07-02-2005, 21:28
Silly me. Thanks for that monkeybreath.

Is there some way I can phone tech support from work to rearrange my appointment? Last time I tried they told me I had to be at home because they had to run two tests before they could give me an engineer appointment, but is that necessary in this situation? I mean I've already done these "tests" twice now. Of course the cable modem appears to be working fine - it's an INTERMITTENT problem.

ah hah... if you have an appointment booked already then tech support won't need to run any tests to rearrange it :)

same number as above and same problem with systems being offline so not being able to do it tonight :)

squealy
07-02-2005, 21:40
No, I don't have an appointment arranged.

edit: oh soz you were being sarcastic, I'm afraid this whole episode has sorely tested my sense of humour.

The NTL engineer came earlier today and said to phone tech support and get another appointment if it went wrong again after he'd gone. I explained this to the bloke on tech support earlier but he insisted I had to run the tests again and then after the tests had been done he told me that he couldn't book an appointment because the systems were down!! :mad:

What exactly goes on with tech support anyway? First time I phoned I got to speak to a nice lady in Swansea, this time I suspect I was speaking to someone in India (not that I have anything against India or Indian people). Am I selecting the wrong option on the phone? (I selected 5 - any other queries, rather than 2 - CM not working - I mean technically speaking it is working it just stops working every now and then ;) ).

Chris W
07-02-2005, 21:52
No, I don't have an appointment arranged.

sorry i gathered from the fact that you said you wanted to rearrange an appointment that you already had one booked

edit: oh soz you were being sarcastic, I'm afraid this whole episode has sorely tested my sense of humour.

i was?? could you point out where please because i didn't realise i was!!

The NTL engineer came earlier today and said to phone tech support and get another appointment if it went wrong again after he'd gone. I explained this to the bloke on tech support earlier but he insisted I had to run the tests again and then after the tests had been done he told me that he couldn't book an appointment because the systems were down!! :mad:

What exactly goes on with tech support anyway? First time I phoned I got to speak to a nice lady in Swansea, this time I suspect I was speaking to someone in India (not that I have anything against India or Indian people). Am I selecting the wrong option on the phone? (I selected 5 - any other queries, rather than 2 - CM not working - I mean technically speaking it is working it just stops working every now and then ;) ).

I know what the problem is because i ran a test on the modem from the mac address that you posted. (oh btw i work in tech support ;) )

There are two langley broadband tech support call centres, one in india, one in swansea, and the calls are shared between them. All of the options on the phone could route to either call centre.

squealy
07-02-2005, 22:03
[QUOTE=monkeybreath]
I know what the problem is because i ran a test on the modem from the mac address that you posted)

Now here you're being sarcastic right? Because if not, fer Christ's sake tell me what's wrong with it and I'll tell the engineer monkeybreath says to do this. They do know you as monkeybreath in the office right? ;)

paulyoung666
07-02-2005, 22:10
[QUOTE=monkeybreath]
I know what the problem is because i ran a test on the modem from the mac address that you posted)

Now here you're being sarcastic right? Because if not, fer Christ's sake tell me what's wrong with it and I'll tell the engineer monkeybreath says to do this. They do know you as monkeybreath in the office right? ;)

dont ever doubt the great monkeybreath ;) , now i wonder if he will tell you at all :erm: :D :D :D

homealone
07-02-2005, 22:20
[QUOTE=monkeybreath]

no, the notion of Cable Forum members who 'happen' to work for NTL, being known at work by their forum names, should not happen. :)

- or vice versa, of course ;)

squealy
07-02-2005, 22:24
Bows to the great monkeybreath. I'm not worthy.

Does that help? :)

Seriously though, any help you guys can offer me is much appreciated. As you may have gathered I'm not much of a computer genius.

Chris W
07-02-2005, 22:34
There is nothing that you can do to fix the problem, you will need to contact technical support and have them book another engineer for you.

All the information that the person you speak to will need is in the "bluetools report" so if they are not sure then ask them to check that, or consult a level 2 for further advice if they are still stuck :)

Any relevant information from this report can be passed to the engineers when the fault is booked in so the engineer should be able to fix it. As for how to fix the problem, i honestly have no idea... i am here to diagnose connectivity issues... i leave the fixing to the engineers :)

squealy
07-02-2005, 22:50
Thanks monkeybreath.

Hmm, I'm wondering how to put this when I phone up. I can just hear the conversation:

Me: All the information you need is in the "bluetools report"
Tech Support: How do you know that?
Me: Errr, mmm, errr, a nice man on NTHellWorld told me.

I'm thinking that won't go down too well for some reason or do NTL not mind their tech support providing help via here anymore? I thought that was the reason they bought out the dot com site and then ditched it.

Chris W
07-02-2005, 22:54
Thanks monkeybreath.

Hmm, I'm wondering how to put this when I phone up. I can just hear the conversation:

Me: All the information you need is in the "bluetools report"
Tech Support: How do you know that?
Me: Errr, mmm, errr, a nice man on NTHellWorld told me.

I'm thinking that won't go down too well for some reason or do NTL not mind their tech support providing help via here anymore? I thought that was the reason they bought out the dot com site and then ditched it.

"someone from tech support told me" ;) i am sure that will suffice :) a large proportion of the staff haven't heard of this site anyway, so they will probably think nothing of it!

BBKing
07-02-2005, 22:56
Call it 'cableforum' instead, cos that's what it is now :)

monkeybreath - any chance of pm'ing me the mac? Can see if I can see it...

squealy
07-02-2005, 23:03
OK, ta.

I'm not convinced some of the engineers even consult the information given them. I asked the bloke who came today if he'd seen the information that tech support had sent re: my call with the nice lady in Swansea. He said "I've left it in the van". :rolleyes:

I know the nice lady couldn't ping my machine when she tried, but I put that down to my firewall. Not that I know jack about all this stuff.

Oh, and I have another question. Why do I need to reboot my machine every time the CM reboots or I can't get online? I get a Found New Hardware Wizard asking me to put in my CM installation disk if I don't reboot. I thought Windows XP Pro would be able to cope with this kind of thing.

I know, I know, I'm so demanding. ;)

homealone
07-02-2005, 23:10
Call it 'cableforum' instead, cos that's what it is now :)

monkeybreath - any chance of pm'ing me the mac? Can see if I can see it...

It is not fair - I never have any problems, I'd like to pm my mac, too, but don't get the chance ;) :jk:

Ignition
07-02-2005, 23:42
It is not fair - I never have any problems, I'd like to pm my mac, too, but don't get the chance ;) :jk:

Gaz, please PM me you MAC address and I will be happy to create you some problems to pm BBKing your MAC about :angel:

squealy
08-02-2005, 12:31
Update

Phoned Tech Support at 8am today and got through immediately. Unfortunately it was to India not Swansea. Lass I spoke to ran their tests (as always) on my CM and said I'm not sure Level 2 Tech will accept the call seeing as your CM seems to be working fine. I repeatedly explained that it was an intermittent problem, quoted her the Engineer visit number and asked her to check to Bluetools Report. Finally got put through to Level 2 Tech in Swansea, who ran the tests again :rolleyes: and then booked me an engineer visit for Saturday afternoon. He said he'd pass on as much info as possible to the engineer.

I suspect this one's gonna run and run.

Thanks all for your help, especially to monkeybreath.

squealy
12-02-2005, 18:19
Update

Amusingly, the NTL engineer failed to turn up this afternoon, and for some reason chose to come yesterday morning whilst I was at work. This had worried me somewhat so I phoned broadband tech support at lunchtime today to confirm that I had an appointment for this afternoon, which they duly confirmed.

This now means NTL engineers have failed to show for two out of three appointments, but arrived for one appointment that didn't exist. Twelve hours sat waiting in my house for engineers who failed to materialise. Is there any company aside from NTL who treat their customers with such disregard?

Cable modem is still rebooting spontaneously and I am at my wits end. Is there anyone out there who can help me? Or can someone suggest some way I can get some redress for this appalling lack of service? I did phone customer service last Monday to complain about the failure of the original engineer to turn up. The operative told me his team leader would call me back. Unsurprisingly that never happened.

BBKing
12-02-2005, 18:45
Can I have that MAC address now, then?

Nedkelly
12-02-2005, 20:14
Just a shot in the dark Squealy do hav e have Sky in the house and do you use the ntl feed for your 1 to 5 .We have found out in Grimsby that the sky box if connected to ntl can make the modem reboot .We had one job where this was happing every day took splitter out and we have not heard from this cust since.

squealy
14-02-2005, 09:03
No Ned I'm afraid I don't have Sky here. All I have is the 300k cable modem service.

I still haven't had my promised callback from NTL - on Saturday evening I was told they were "escalating" the call to a Level 2 Tech in Swansea and they would be in touch. However, I have heard nothing back from them. I have a reference number if that helps but not sure I should be quoting that on here. The frustrating thing is not knowing whether anyone is doing anything about the problem or not.

rmg
14-02-2005, 10:19
Squealy, I had exactly the same problem as you a couple of Years ago.

Unfortunately the thread ran on nthellworld.com and is long gone :-(

My cable modem (ntl:100) started reebooting itself at random intervals. Tech support said it had done it over 3000 times in one month.

I had 4 engineers out and they tried all types of different fixes including attenuators, new cabling and a new modem. None of them worked.

I got very annoyed and made another appointment.

The 5th engineer I had out was excellent, and suggested that it was the wall socket that was at fault. (Apparently I had an older socket type, something to do with the splitter?). He replaced this with a new dedicated wall socket and it fixed the problem.

This may not work for you, (especially if you only recently had your line installed) but if may be worth giving it a try.

edit: with regards to renumeration AFAICR they can see when your modem reeboots and I got compensation from the start date of rapid reeboots. Not sure what they offer for failed engineer appointments.

HTH.

--
rmg.

squealy
14-02-2005, 14:23
That does sound like exactly the problem I've been having rmg although perhaps not to the extent of 3000 reboots a month :shocked: . My wall socket was installed in June 2002.

Still heard nothing from NTL. I suspect I have been forgotten again, but don't know that I have the mental fortitude to phone broadband tech support yet again. This really is shoddy treatment as far as I'm concerned.

rmg
14-02-2005, 14:53
get a new wall socket put in mate. I will happily pm my account details to a cm-tech to see if they can pull the file on the work that was done?

squealy
14-02-2005, 15:35
Any help you can provide me with would be most welcome. At the moment I'm waiting to hear what the status of my problem is from one of the cm-techs on here, but if he needs those details I'm sure he will ask. Cheers.

rmg
14-02-2005, 15:39
ok mate, if the tech needs it I will happily pm him my account number and the address that I was living at when the issue occured.

Good luck!