PDA

View Full Version : NTL on Win98

JamieBecks23
07-02-2005, 16:54
my uncle has windows 98 and he got his ntl broadband stuff this morning. i tried installing it but i plug it in and it says "USB Cable Modem FOund" i go to install the driver and it cant find it nowhere on cd. on xp, it works ok. How can I set it up on his pc. It finds the device but theres no driver for it

Raistlin
07-02-2005, 16:56
Does he have an ethernet (network) card in his PC?

If he does you will find that a lot easier to set up / maintain / use than the USB port.

Derek
07-02-2005, 16:57
Did you go through the registration disc or simply plug in the modem without the disc?

Raistlin
07-02-2005, 17:01
Alternatively, if you go here:

http://www.ntlworld.com/help/select_modem.php

You can select the modem that you have and then download the drivers.

There's also a whole raft of troubleshooting / help info here:

http://www.ntlworld.com/help/select_os.php

Just choose the Operating System you want.

HTH :D

Did you go through the registration disc or simply plug in the modem without the disc?

Oops, oh yeah :rolleyes: good point.

It won't work properly on the USB setup unless you go through the setup routine with the Disc (which also installs NTL's software - another good reason to go Ethernet :D ).

Chris W
07-02-2005, 17:03
The drivers you need are located on this disk:

/drivers/ambit/

JamieBecks23
07-02-2005, 17:09
no hes just got a usb port. ill try that driver site though cheers

the drivers on the disc dont seem to work with win98 :confused:

Raistlin
07-02-2005, 17:11
Have you tried running the setup program from the disc?

JamieBecks23
07-02-2005, 17:18
apparently u need the drivers installed first

ive downloaded the drivers but even on that its only got a folder saying 2k and xp

Raistlin
07-02-2005, 17:22
No reason why there shouldn't be any. The NTL site says that 98SE is ok:

Minimum Specifications
Operating System - Windows 98, 2000 Professional Edition, ME, XP Home Edition, XP Professional

Processor Speed - Pentium 166MHz (or equivalent)

Memory (RAM) - 64MB

Hard Drive Space - 60MB

PC Hardware - CD-ROM Drive, Sound & Graphics Card, USB port (recommended) - if not present Network Interface Card (Ethernet Card)

JamieBecks23
07-02-2005, 17:22
ill try them drivers

Raistlin
07-02-2005, 17:23
I'm still convinced that you don't need to install the modem first though. That doesn't make any sense at all.

What happens if you try to run the setup program on the Disc without the modem plugged in?

JamieBecks23
07-02-2005, 17:25
so wat do i do

run the disc without modem plugged in and no drivers installed?

Raistlin
07-02-2005, 17:26
Yep, that's what I would try.

I thought there was usually a "quick start guide" with the NTL setup?

I'll see if I can find mine.

Derek
07-02-2005, 17:29
On some PC's plugging the modem in without running the disc will cause problems with the USB setup.

Thats why there is a big sticker over the ethernet and USB ports saying do not remove until the program tells you to do so. :rolleyes:

If you have already connected the modem I'd recommend looking in the drivers/ambit folder on the CD for a driver removal program and running that. Make sure the USB cable is removed from the modem!

Then after that has been done, reboot the PC. Put the disc in and follow the instructions to register the service. :tu:

Raistlin
07-02-2005, 17:31
Yep, just had a look at the tutorial on the installer disc and it clearly illustrates that you should run the disc without the modem plugged in.

You will be prompted when you need to plug it in.

paul d
07-02-2005, 17:43
Best way i find to install usb on windows 98se is as follows:

make sure ntl brodjump cd is in not running
leave usb plugged in
goto my computer and reight click and explore the ntl cd
double left click drivers, then ambit and uninstall
follow on screen instructions until asks to restart pc now - restart
go through found new hardware - should then install ok

Raistlin
07-02-2005, 19:13
Any luck?

nostra
07-02-2005, 20:51
if its still saying it cant find the drivers

run the file uninstall in the ambit folder and then try putting the drivers back on again

if you were to check you probably have a usb composite device in the device manager under universal serial bus controllers this is causing the drivers not to be found

the uninstall will remove all instances of drivers off the computer and remove the composite device and then should allow you to reinstall the drivers succesfully

good luck :)

edit : doh sorry paul didnt see the uninstall bit on your post :p

Matth
07-02-2005, 21:52
If it's 98 (not SE) then the USB tends to be at a level not much better than 95OSR2. I'd suggest updating to 98SP1 if not already done, and applying any other relevant updates.

Fitting a cheap PCI Ethernet card (I'm assuming if it has USB, it'll have PCI slots), really is the best way.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=42061 - Insanely cheap, but mixed reviews - better to install the drivers the Windows way, than use the SETUP - Ebuyer will be no help if it goes wrong.
The Ebuyer "brand" cards seem to have had a better reputation in the old Sis chipset version, the newer Davicom chipset not so good

Even at twice the price, maybe a name brand would be better, but I wouldn't swap my ex-equipment Intel chipset card for any of them (actually a Compaq NC3120, but I use it as a generic 82558 with the lates Intel drivers).

The Dynamode appears to be Realtek based - a good, basic chipset, but some people find older machines don't like the Realtek.

Belkin - Solid brand, also reported to be Realtek chipset

D-Link - another solid brand, and another Realtek

There's always ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=87454&item=5163523945&rd=1
If that's not an Intel 82559 based card, I'll eat my mouse - I like the Intel cards, and they've been know to work in machines that just will not run a Realtek.

Quite a few 3COM's too - an excellent name, but out of two secondhand 3COMs I got (cheap bin at a show), both were bad, more success with the Intel based, so I wonder if the 3COM's are a bit fragile?

Rik
07-02-2005, 23:07
Go with the best!
3Com 905 Nic card
They are the daddies of NIC cards ;-)