PDA

View Full Version : NTL. Interruptions to connection.

Geoff103
07-02-2005, 13:53
I use a 3Com modem and have the 1MB service.

Throughout the day, I see frequent short-term interruption to downoading, web browsing and email delivery. The physical connection is not lost since the modem shows full connectivity (3 green lights) but little or nor line activity.

The gaps vary between a few seconds and nor more than 2 minutes and full connectivity retruns without any need to reboot PC or modem.

I have tried changing firewall (Windows XP's own, ZoneArlam and Agnitum Outpost).

Does anyone have any clues as to what is going on here?

fil57
08-02-2005, 12:03
Sorry, no ideas, but sounds exactly like the symptoms I've been experiencing over the last few weeks, although my interruptions can be longer than 2 minutes. I have a 3100 modem which is a few years old and I'm on the 300k service. It's annoying at times, but not enough to waste 30+ minutes waiting for tech support - yet! I wonder has anyone else noticed this?

Thorn
08-02-2005, 12:07
Try doing a tracert during both instances and check for differences in the signal path. It may give you a clue. It also may not, but it's worth a go.

Gaz RW
08-02-2005, 13:39
sounds like my problem, internet just keeps dropping out and coming back on..

pain in the arse!

Stephen
08-02-2005, 13:53
mine does this too. means I have to keep restarting my router as it cannot get the connection back.

Geoff103
08-02-2005, 14:04
Well, I'm waiting for the next interruption to do a tracert but, unlike you, I don't need to reset my modem.

Stephen
08-02-2005, 14:31
Its my router I have to reset the modem seems fine.

Geoff103
08-02-2005, 15:39
When working properly tracert to default gateway reveals this:

1 66ms 11ms 10ms cpc-2-alder1-5-1- gw.glfd.cable.ntl.com

When the intermittent disruption occurs then this:
1 * * * Request timed out
2 * * * Request timed out
3 * * * Request timed out
4 and so on to the completion of 30 attempts.

So it seems to me to be problem between me and cpc-2 at Aldershot, whatever cpc may be.

Neil
08-02-2005, 15:42
Where's that silly Ignition when you need him!? :D :angel:

jtwn
08-02-2005, 15:47
Problem here too, 2 other people down my road it happens to aswell but connection drops for like..5 seconds or odd if thats the same. Happens fairly rarely though :)

Ignition
08-02-2005, 16:04
You called?

Geoff please PM me your MAC address from the underside of your modem, ta muchly.

Neil
08-02-2005, 16:08
You called?

Geoff please PM me your MAC address from the underside of your modem, ta muchly.

Ah-there he is, to the rescue again! :D

Nice one Ig....;)

Ignition
08-02-2005, 16:57
A resolution to this is in progress - I will keep Geoff informed as to progress as promised in PM.

Geoff103
08-02-2005, 16:59
OK.

Something has happened. A brief loss of connectivity (modem light goes orange) and then back and already looking more stable and steady, slightly faster downloading.

If 'twas you ignition, then many thanks.

If an NTL man doing something at a cabinet by chance, then thanks to him / here.

Ignition
08-02-2005, 17:00
OK.

Something has happened. A brief loss of connectivity (modem light goes orange) and then back and already looking more stable and steady, slightly faster downloading.

If 'twas you ignition, then many thanks.

If an NTL man doing something at a cabinet by chance, then thanks to him / here.

That would have been me sir, see PM :)

absthechatter
08-02-2005, 19:16
Looks like I have the same down here in Brighton. Using a wireless router and having to reboot router 10-15 times per day for last week or two.

Tried direct connection and it still has same cut offs.

My 1.5mb connection has been so bad for last 6 months that this little extra thing doesn't even bother me now, I've been used to getting up and rebooting STB and only being able to use internet about 20 -30% of day and pages taking a minute or so to load if I am very lucky. It's surprising what you grow to tolerate!!

JohnHorb
08-02-2005, 19:20
Quote from NTL server status page (link at the foot of this page)

"Broadband customers in the following areas may currently be experiencing a degraded service such as slow browsing or intermittent access to email. In some cases service may also be lost completely.

Our engineers are working to resolve the issues as soon as possible.

Areas affected: Bishop Stortford, Brighton, Leicester, Harrogate, Poole.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused."

absthechatter
08-02-2005, 20:06
Quote from NTL server status page (link at the foot of this page)

"Broadband customers in the following areas may currently be experiencing a degraded service such as slow browsing or intermittent access to email. In some cases service may also be lost completely.

Our engineers are working to resolve the issues as soon as possible.

Areas affected: Bishop Stortford, Brighton, Leicester, Harrogate, Poole.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused."

Thanks, I have seen that, but that is only since December. I have had the problem for over 6 months now. I have had engineers around lots of times and they admit things are drastically wrong - and they have been extremely helpful. It's just every now and again I have to have a little moan (it makes me feel better). I am after all paying nearly £40 a month and having to use a dial up modem or even my mobile at least 50% of the time I want to do something on the internet.
The extra little problem in the last couple of weeks doesn't bother me too much, I was just letting others know it is also happening here.

Abs

Lew
09-02-2005, 15:59
I've been getting the same problem for a while, too. Quite annoying when trying to access streaming media. Can you help please, Ignition?

Chrysalis
09-02-2005, 18:22
ignition is a top guy, I wonder if he could take a peek at my ubr again see if I can be moved to diff channel :)

flook
10-02-2005, 13:37
Yep I get this too, but mainly when 2 pc's are accesing the net through the linksys router.

As im new on here, who's Ignition? appears to be a bit of a legend :)

Is there a known solution yet?

Gaz RW
10-02-2005, 15:02
any chance you could help me too?

The connection is now so unstable that It literaly cuts out and comes back every 2-3mins.

I spoke to someone at tech support in surrey (after spending 30mins on hold/talking to 'kevin' in india) because my modem wasnt working at all, that was fixed and the guy I talked to told me his name was Karl and that If I rang 0845 650 0125 I could get through directly to him on his extension number if I had further problems, but upon ringing the number I yet again get put through to a switchboard which wastes 10mins of my time talking to me before putting me through to india again.. on my mobile.. at 35p a minute..

absl
10-02-2005, 16:40
> I spoke to someone at tech support in surrey (after spending 30mins on hold/talking to 'kevin' in india)

Why the quotation marks around the kevin ?

Also could they not have transfered you to the individual extension number ?

Chrysalis
10-02-2005, 23:56
might be reffering to that india call staff use fake names to make themselves sound english.

Gaz RW
11-02-2005, 11:38
> I spoke to someone at tech support in surrey (after spending 30mins on hold/talking to 'kevin' in india)

Why the quotation marks around the kevin ?

Also could they not have transfered you to the individual extension number ?

Because I really doubt this man was called kevin.

I didnt bother waiting to talk to someone, as the menu alone takes 10mins to navigate, before having to answer a million questions to someone with poor english.

JackSon
08-03-2005, 14:58
Have stumbled acorss this thread (and forum admittedly) just today, and I am almost relieved to read about problems that other people are having that mirror ones I have had for the last two months now. I felt like I was making the story up when on the phone to NTL tech support just this morning, who, told me becasue I could access the homepage of www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk) my connection was therefore perfect. The usual story of there is no problem with your network was given to me. Am I correct in assuming everybody else got similar word from NTL tech support regarding this connectivity issue? And also no proposed solution (other than downloading broadband medic)?

bilal
08-03-2005, 19:43
i am having this problem as well... for example when i go on a webpage on firefox it takes ages looking up the webpage for some reason and sometimes it times out... :( happy to know its not only me