PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get on Broadband with 1 PC but cant with other

Daniel H
07-02-2005, 00:24
Hi Guys

Hope you can help ;)

I was merrily using my computer when I got a popup saying that Windows had to shut down and it did that 1 minute countdown before restarting.

But when it restarted and I was logged back on, my broadband connection came up on the Local Area Network as - LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY.

So I tried the usual - restarting stb, restarting pc etc numerous times. Even done scandisk, adware check and anti virus check, and still didnt work.

I then got my old laptop out and hooked that up to the broadband and at first it was too giving LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY so I was relieved cause I thought that it must be ntl having a problem and not my computer.

But then the connection came on all working on the laptop, so I thought that ntl must have fixed the problem :Yikes: so connected the broadband back up to the computer, but it still wouldn't work. So went back on laptop and now having to use that.

Can't understand why it will work on here (laptop) but not on my computer which is all but a few months old and cost nearly £1000 so not too happy that i'm having to use this slow thing now!

Anyone came across this problem before or have any ideas of what might be wrong?

I've looked in control pannel and devices and checked out the network card properties and that is all down as working properly. even tried disabling and ableing, but no different. tried unistalling it and reinstalling it and still giving LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY.

Any help would be so apreaticiated :)

MovedGoalPosts
07-02-2005, 00:58
On the basis that you are using Win XP, there are wizards to try of repair network connection, if you look at the network connection through control panel.

Before doing so (I know it's teaching to suck eggs), fully power down the computer, STB/modem, and any router, disconnect any laptop or other thingy on the network, and then reboot, modem/STB then router then computer. Worth confirming that your cables are securely plugged in too.

If the repair connection doesn't work, you could look at hardware device settings, delete the network card (safe mode would be best for deletion of these I think). Reboot the PC and it should reload a new driver set.

Edit: rereading your post, I see you've tried most of that, so your stuffed. You might want to try a new network card, incase it's that that has borked.

Raistlin
07-02-2005, 01:19
I know that you've already rebooted everything once but when the connection came back up and your Laptop was connected the STB will have associated itself with that MAC address.

Try the reboot procedure on all devices (All off, STB on, Router on <if you have one> PC on) and see if the PC is working now.

Stuartbe
07-02-2005, 01:30
I was merrily using my computer when I got a popup saying that Windows had to shut down and it did that 1 minute countdown before restarting.

This sounds like MS Blast / worm...

Do you have decent antivirus / firewalls on the computer ?

iron25
07-02-2005, 01:38

This sounds like MS Blast / worm...

Do you have decent antivirus / firewalls on the computer ?

That does sound like the blaster virus but that did not affect the network settings of the pc as far as I can remember, it would just restart the pc. Maybe someone's updated it to change the network settings as well :shrug:

I would ensure that you have got a good firewall and that it is working. Then I would check that your network settings are set to 'obtain an ip address automatically' as it sounds like it might be assigning an invalid ip address for ntl.

Once the pc has booted up go into dos and type ipconfig to see what ip address it is assigning to your network card.

Daniel H
07-02-2005, 01:41
Thanks guys

Off to try now will let you know in a few mins.

I've got Norton Antivirus 2004, is all up to date, and use the standard firewall on XP.

I had just started using Lavasoft Adware 6, when the popup came up saying it had to restart.

:)

Chris W
07-02-2005, 01:50
hmm... if you have just run adaware and are now getting a 169 (aka "limited or no connectivity") it is possible that there was some spyware in there and deleting this has corrupted the network stack.

Try opening a command prompt and typing:

netsh winsock reset catalog

then press return. It should prompt you to reboot, do so and see if your connection has returned.

Raistlin
07-02-2005, 01:52
hmm... if you have just run adaware and are now getting a 169 (aka "limited or no connectivity") it is possible that there was some spyware in there and deleting this has corrupted the network stack.

Try opening a command prompt and typing:

netsh winsock reset catalog

then press return. It should prompt you to reboot, do so and see if your connection has returned.

I've seen that advice given a couple of times for different issues, what does it actually do? Would it be beneficial to do it if there wasn't a problem (or would it do any harm)?

Cheers.

Chris W
07-02-2005, 01:55
I've seen that advice given a couple of times for different issues, what does it actually do? Would it be beneficial to do it if there wasn't a problem (or would it do any harm)?

Cheers.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.html

HTH

Raistlin
07-02-2005, 01:58
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.html

HTH

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please try the following:

Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
Click the Back (javascript:history.back(1)) button to try another link.
HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Go to Microsoft Product Support Services (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=8180) and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.
Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.

Oops :D

Chris W
07-02-2005, 02:06
working fine from here....

Daniel H
07-02-2005, 02:43
Still no luck :(

Tried all the above and still the same.

Forgot to mention aswell, that I've even tried doing a system restore but when I do (and i've tried now going back several weeks a number of time) it keeps coming up that "Your computing cannot be restored"

The IP details are....

Connection-specific DNS Suffic:
Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.248.154
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:

the first and last don't have anything, just in case you thought I'd forgotten them!

ONLY JUST.... seen the reply about adware.... off to try now, thank you! :)

ALL WORKING!!!!! :D

Did the netsh winsock reset catalog and now back online on the PC!

Thanks again guys for all the help.

Not the first time this bloody thing has played havo, was ready to take it back.

Thank you so much!!!!

iron25
07-02-2005, 02:59
Still no luck :(

Tried all the above and still the same.

Forgot to mention aswell, that I've even tried doing a system restore but when I do (and i've tried now going back several weeks a number of time) it keeps coming up that "Your computing cannot be restored"

The IP details are....

Connection-specific DNS Suffic:
Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.248.154
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:

the first and last don't have anything, just in case you thought I'd forgotten them!

ONLY JUST.... seen the reply about adware.... off to try now, thank you! :)

ALL WORKING!!!!! :D

Did the netsh winsock reset catalog and now back online on the PC!

Thanks again guys for all the help.

Not the first time this bloody thing has played havo, was ready to take it back.

Thank you so much!!!!

I would double check your firewall to make sure that it is not stopping the network card from getting an ip address from the ntl servers. The 169 address is definitely not an ntl address because as far as I know it should start with 80 or 81. So it would seem that the reason you can't connect is because you aren't getting the correct ip address from the dhcp servers.

Someone I know had a similar problem recently where it could not get the correct ip address assigned. It turned out to be the firewall. Even allowing all through the firewall did not solve the problem. I had to disable the firewall service to get it to work. After the firewall was re-installed eveything was fine.

Gareth
07-02-2005, 03:07
monkeybreath's link had an extra l appended at the end, so it said .html instead of .htm ;)

Remove the l or use this link instead http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm