PDA

View Full Version : VPN Tunnels

jimmy christian
06-02-2005, 12:18
I am trying to create a VPN tunnel into a corporate private network, which doesnt seem to want to work. I know that the password etc all work, NTL wont support vpn tunnels as far as i know, would anyone have any ideas of what I may need to do. with regards to any specific setup issues....many thanks :o)

greencreeper
06-02-2005, 12:22
Go on - I'll wade in since no one else has :D I can't give specific guidance because I've no idea where to start with VPNs, but I know that the last place I worked at had two VPN methods - Nortel and Neoteris. The latter would always work because the tunnel was created over HTTP and no ISP blocks HTTP traffic.

jimmy christian
06-02-2005, 12:24
Many thanks for the info

MovedGoalPosts
06-02-2005, 12:26
For a start what is the operating system of your coroporate network, and your home PC. Are there any firewalls or routers. What at the corporate end will be handling the VPN, is it the server directly, or is it another box, if so what. What software are you using for the VPN connection. There are a lot of permutations.

The easy way that I've been able to do it, was with my office runing M$ Small Business Server 2000, which is the one box directly connected tot he internet (the rest of the office gets thier connection to the net by going throuhg the server whcih has 2 LAN cards one for the ADSL conection, one for the office network). Wizards then set up the SBS 2000 Server to permit VPN connections, and then in WIn XP on my home PC I again run the new network conection wizard. Hey Presto.

One little problem, your two networks should not be running over the same IP range. Thus if your office uses 192.168.0.### then your home range must not be 192.168.0.### or the DNS gets very confused and you tend not to find anything.

BTW :welcome: to Cable Forum :D

Paul
06-02-2005, 12:31
NTL wont support vpn tunnels as far as i know, would anyone have any ideas of what I may need to do. with regards to any specific setup issues....many thanks :o)
The ntl network supports VPN's as long as both ends are set-up correctly and you don't have any firewalls at either end blocking the traffic. I used to connect to work via a VPN which used both standard TCP/IP or ESP/IP.

jimmy christian
06-02-2005, 12:36
Thanks for the reply. I am trying to use a AT&T network client to tunnel in, which is then routed to the corporate network. I am using W2K on my machine but i'm not sure about the other end.

When i can setup and use the connection from other locations, which tunnel and back into the network, but for some reason the NTL line wont allow the traffic.

Cheers for the welcome :handshake

MovedGoalPosts
06-02-2005, 12:46
So VPN works from other networks. It is unlikely to be ntl causing a problem. I use ntl broadband and dont have an issue, although I am only using the M$ software setups, nothing else.

Are you able to get any connection to your office on your Win XP PC i.e. it connnects but fails to authenticate, or perhaps it connects and authenticates but then you can't see anything on the network?

Is you Win2k home PC connected directly to the cable modem or STB, or is there any other PC running a Firewall? You may need to unblock ports on the firewall.

From other locations I assume you personnally have been able to use VPN setups without problems. Just checking that your office network premissions will allow you to VPN into it.

nostra
06-02-2005, 15:30
i have a PPTP VPN network hosted on a linux server working no problem whatsoever the server hosted on adsl provider eclipse and connecting from my ntl line no problems what so ever

what the are problems you are having? error messages?

are you using a router?
have you got a firewall? and have you tried disabling it?

may be a little bit of info would help

:D