PDA

View Full Version : citizenship test

kronas
04-09-2003, 01:07
under new government proposals all future asylum seekers will have to take a citizenship test to determine there suitabilty in entering the uk

before the actual test is taken applicants must take language and citizenship classes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3077240.stm

how british do you have to be to come in to this country does this mean all asylum seekers must drink alcohol smoke go to pubs and clubs while for some its against there religion or beliefs or do they have point to out how much they know about the british way of living :rolleyes:

Defiant
04-09-2003, 01:12
Speaking English is a very good start. Their seems to be more and more langauges on goverment leaflets these days

kronas
04-09-2003, 01:21
Originally posted by Defiant
Their seems to be more and more langauges on goverment leaflets these days

and the problem for you is ?

nighthawk
04-09-2003, 08:37
we should have started doing this yesrs ago. Nearly all other countrys do this.

Although it sounds a bit strict it is a very simple idea. If you want to become a part of this country you should know something about it.

On defiants note, i agree, if you want to live in this country then i believe you should have at leat a basic understanding of the Language. We dont want to get to the stage where our Police & Ambulance crews need to take tra nslaters with them.

Ramrod
04-09-2003, 09:01
Originally posted by nighthawk
we should have started doing this yesrs ago. Nearly all other countrys do this.

Although it sounds a bit strict it is a very simple idea. If you want to become a part of this country you should know something about it.

On defiants note, i agree, if you want to live in this country then i believe you should have at leat a basic understanding of the Language. We dont want to get to the stage where our Police & Ambulance crews need to take tra nslaters with them. Agreed. If I was to have to claim assylum in a foreign country I would learn the lingo and customs asap and think it very odd that that countrys government bent over backwards to accomodate me (good, but very odd)

Gogogo
04-09-2003, 09:12
One moment, this is poor journalism from the BBC.

You normally have to live in the UK for five years before applying for UK citizenship or if the applicant is married to a UK citizen three years. In both circumstances the applicants should know enough about the UK and English to survive any test.

I hope that making a decent cup of tea is included in any proposed test.

:)

nighthawk
04-09-2003, 09:16
Here is another Question......

How many of us could pass the test........

I think it could be quite interesting to try & get a copy of the test...

Defiant
04-09-2003, 11:59
Originally posted by kronas
and the problem for you is ?

Prats that don't use common sense and think the english will just put up with anything:devsmoke:

kronas
04-09-2003, 13:15
Prats that don't use common sense and think the english will just put up with anything:devsmoke:

its there to help people who cant read english its not affecting you is it ?

Russ
04-09-2003, 13:29
I'm pretty impressed that the test applicants will have to demonstrate a knowledge of Welsh or Scottish Gaelic if they don't speak English :)

aliferste
05-09-2003, 09:56
Hmmmmm, im confused. Is this test for asylum seekers or is this test for ECONOMIC migrants. There is a major difference. I think asylum seekers shoul dbe given a little longer as they have so much upheavel in the first place. Whereas economic migrants have chosen specifically to come here to work.

Russ
05-09-2003, 09:58
I don't see why, after all aren't the Asylum Seekers breaking the first rule of asylum buy not using the closest available country?

Gogogo
05-09-2003, 10:05
Originally posted by aliferste
Hmmmmm, im confused. Is this test for asylum seekers or is this test for ECONOMIC migrants. There is a major difference. I think asylum seekers shoul dbe given a little longer as they have so much upheavel in the first place. Whereas economic migrants have chosen specifically to come here to work.

No need to panic. This proposed test is for those who opt for UK citizenship and firstly, there is a basic residence qualification of five years or if married to a UK citizen three years. Try to see beyond the headlines.

:)

orangebird
05-09-2003, 10:08
Originally posted by Russ D
I don't see why, after all aren't the Asylum Seekers breaking the first rule of asylum buy not using the closest available country?

Good point Russ. If this rule was adhered to a little more, none of this would have to take place at all....

Lord Nikon
05-09-2003, 10:23
but we ARE the closest available country that will perpetually give them money for nothing.....

Dave Stones
05-09-2003, 10:24
Originally posted by orangebird
Good point Russ. If this rule was adhered to a little more, none of this would have to take place at all....

yeh. we'd never get any asylum seekers unless we waged war with scotland or finland etc ;)

seems strange such a small island accepts so many people...

orangebird
05-09-2003, 10:42
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
but we ARE the closest available country that will perpetually give them money for nothing.....

Doh! Of course, you're right Lord Nikon. Silly me.... ;)

aliferste
05-09-2003, 11:01

There are many reasons. France, for example, may not necessarily grant refugee status to Algerian asylum seekers, escaping violence from militant groups, as France does not offer protection to those fleeing persecution from any group acting independently of the government. So just because someone has traveled through another EU country shouldnââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t mean that there application is any less credible than anyone else.
This whole †œasylum seekersââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚ must stop in the first country is a myth.

aliferste
05-09-2003, 11:04
Originally posted by Lord Nikon

Donââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t kid yourself on. Life in the UK for asylum seekers is extremely harsh. The Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 removed asylum seekers from the welfare benefits system. Asylum seekers are now entitled to vouchers, exchangeable for cash, worth 70% of basic income support if they can prove they have no other means of support.
The view that the UK is a land of milk and honey is perpetuated by the tabloids.

danielf
05-09-2003, 11:05
I think there should be an EU wide rule to ensure an equal uptake of asylum seekers across the EU countries. If you were to take this first country rule seriously, most EU countries wouldn't have to take any asylum seekers.

aliferste
05-09-2003, 11:08
Originally posted by danielf
I think there should be an EU wide rule to ensure an equal uptake of asylum seekers across the EU countries. If you were to take this first country rule seriously, most EU countries wouldn't have to take any asylum seekers.

In that case we would get more.
The UK ranks only 8th out of fifteen European Union countries in terms of asylum applicants per 1000 inhabitants.

danielf
05-09-2003, 11:32
In that case we would get more.
The UK ranks only 8th out of fifteen European Union countries in terms of asylum applicants per 1000 inhabitants.

My point exactly. The UK has a responsibility to take up asylum seekers as much as other EU countries do. This reference to the 'first country' rule is a bit too convenient for my liking.

Defiant
05-09-2003, 11:56
Originally posted by Dave Stones
yeh. we'd never get any asylum seekers unless we waged war with scotland or finland etc ;)

seems strange such a small island accepts so many people...

Its because were a soft touch. Too many ruddy do gooders and as soon as someone says hey wait a minute here your labeled racist

aliferste
05-09-2003, 12:16
Its because were a soft touch. Too many ruddy do gooders and as soon as someone says hey wait a minute here your labeled racist

I refer to post 19#

If faced with the facts of the matter and people still want to believe that there is a massive asylum problem .......rather than the "system" which makes it harsh.....then often the simplest explanation is the easiset to go with.

:wavey: from THE DO GOODER

timewarrior2001
05-09-2003, 12:28
The problem here isnt the amount of asylum seekers, its the fact that more and more people do not want them here.

There I have said it.

Defiant
05-09-2003, 12:29
Harsh yea I believe that, thats why so many go through safe countys to reach here. This harsh country that is. I'm sure when this daft EU thing was setup that we had to accept refugees it was only true refugees and in the first safe country they reach too

Defiant
05-09-2003, 12:31
Originally posted by timewarrior2001
The problem here isnt the amount of asylum seekers, its the fact that more and more people do not want them here.

There I have said it.

Allot of people are saying it but by the only way they can thats listened too. BNP, The Do Gooders really are helping after all lol

aliferste
05-09-2003, 12:43
Harsh yea I believe that, thats why so many go through safe countys to reach here. This harsh country that is. I'm sure when this daft EU thing was setup that we had to accept refugees it was only true refugees and in the first safe country they reach too

Defiant.
Do you not read my posts? I have just stated a reason why people travel through other EU countries to get to this one. Whether they are safe is debatable. In the past i have stated other reasons, like perhaps they have familly members here and that is why they come here.
Now if i tell you these facts and you dont read them and take them in and keep on stating the same old stuff that the tabloids would have you believe......what else can i do:shrug:

Obviously you just DONT like asylum seekers.......i can see no other explanation .....i tell you facts, give reasons but you dont take them in......you would rather continue to believe what you think is true.......backed up by nowt but "The Sun"

timewarrior2001.
You are quite correct, dont act apologetic for stating the obvious. What we shold do is look at the reasons why people dont want them here. Its just xenophobia a natural fear of strangers....nothing wrong with that....BUT coupled with a lot of misinformation given out about people seeking asylum and suddenly everyone is "bogus" and getting council house. taking our jobs and marrying OUR women.

aliferste
05-09-2003, 12:44
Allot of people are saying it but by the only way they can thats listened too. BNP, The Do Gooders really are helping after all lol

eh? Your "Universal Translator" appears to be offline.

Defiant
05-09-2003, 14:16
Defiant.
Do you not read my posts? I have just stated a reason why people travel through other EU countries to get to this one. Whether they are safe is debatable. In the past i have stated other reasons, like perhaps they have familly members here and that is why they come here.
Now if i tell you these facts and you dont read them and take them in and keep on stating the same old stuff that the tabloids would have you believe......what else can i do:shrug:

Obviously you just DONT like asylum seekers.......i can see no other explanation .....i tell you facts, give reasons but you dont take them in......you would rather continue to believe what you think is true.......backed up by nowt but "The Sun"

timewarrior2001.
You are quite correct, dont act apologetic for stating the obvious. What we shold do is look at the reasons why people dont want them here. Its just xenophobia a natural fear of strangers....nothing wrong with that....BUT coupled with a lot of misinformation given out about people seeking asylum and suddenly everyone is "bogus" and getting council house. taking our jobs and marrying OUR women.

Oh I've seen your posts before dont worry we all know you wont every fecker over here no matter what. Well how about you go and setup a safe country of your own and flood it

aliferste
05-09-2003, 14:22
Oh I've seen your posts before dont worry we all know you wont every fecker over here no matter what. Well how about you go and setup a safe country of your own and flood it

TRANSLATION

Message recieved

Computering >>>>>>>>

Computering >>>>>>>>

Computering >>>>>>>>

Computering >>>>>>>>

RESULT

CANNOT DEBATE >>>>HAS NO FACTS

ACTION>>>

BUY SUN NEWSPAPER>>>>OBTAIN MORE ITEMS OF MISINFORMATION

Defiant
05-09-2003, 14:24
TRANSLATION

Message recieved

Computering >>>>>>>>

Computering >>>>>>>>

Computering >>>>>>>>

Computering >>>>>>>>

RESULT

CANNOT DEBATE >>>>HAS NO FACTS

ACTION>>>

BUY SUN NEWSPAPER>>>>OBTAIN MORE ITEMS OF MISINFORMATION

Seems you have a syntax error. I'd say a very slow cpu and not much ram up their either.

aliferste
05-09-2003, 14:27
Seems you have a syntax error. I'd say a very slow cpu and not much ram up their either.

Then please tell me why as you actually read my posts and see what facts that i tell you, why you still come out with the same old stories about asylum seekers? ie the safe country stuff......can you not see that that is just wrong?

Defiant
05-09-2003, 14:33
You said "facts" I say bull. BNP are doing better all the time and its thanks to people like you. Your alright really ;)

Russ
05-09-2003, 14:38
Settle down people - this subject is always going to be a hot potato but please can we respect each other's views without resorting to insults.

Thanks peeps :)

aliferste
05-09-2003, 14:49
You said "facts" I say bull. BNP are doing better all the time and its thanks to people like you. Your alright really ;)

But why do you say bull??? All im doing is stating the facts.......why do you refuse to accept them?:shrug: Its like me saying the sky is blue.......and you saying rubbish, its purple!!

LOL and why is the BNP doing better all the time because of peopl e like ME??? is it because i know the truth behind the propoganda given out by the media? I think its the rubbish given out my the tabloids that is causing parties like the BNP to gain support.

Settle down people - this subject is always going to be a hot potato but please can we respect each other's views without resorting to insults.[/B]

I dont have to respect anyones views............thats bad enough ..but no INSULTS??????????;)

orangebird
05-09-2003, 14:58
But why do you say bull??? All im doing is stating the facts.......why do you refuse to accept them?:shrug: Its like me saying the sky is blue.......and you saying rubbish, its purple!!

LOL and why is the BNP doing better all the time because of peopl e like ME??? is it because i know the truth behind the propoganda given out by the media? I think its the rubbish given out my the tabloids that is causing parties like the BNP to gain support.

I dont have to respect anyones views............thats bad enough ..but no INSULTS??????????;)

If we had the money in the UK to look afters it's own (British by birth), I wouldn't be so cheesed off about it all. Until this country can sort it's own problems out (there's enough poverty, homelessness, unemployed etc as it is), I don't think we should take on anyone else's..... :shrug:

Defiant
05-09-2003, 15:01

If the tabloids are publishing false information that they cannot back up and untrue figures why dont you report them to the watch dogs. You seem to know allot more than them after all

aliferste
05-09-2003, 15:11
If the tabloids are publishing false information that they cannot back up and untrue figures why dont you report them to the watch dogs. You seem to know allot more than them after all

They have already been told this

http://www.pcc.org.uk/99/raising_standards.html

A good report to read is
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/policy/papers/asylumscot01/asylum.htm

Although the last time i posted this people moaned that it was bias or something....EVEN though they coul donly deal with FACTS!! Dont **** it off unless you read it all please

If we had the money in the UK to look afters it's own (British by birth), I wouldn't be so cheesed off about it all. Until this country can sort it's own problems out (there's enough poverty, homelessness, unemployed etc as it is), I don't think we should take on anyone else's..... [/B]

It would be nice to think that if asylum seekers were not coming to this country then we would be able to sort out all the other social problems......but unfortunetly that would never be the case!!There will always be these problems.

nighthawk
05-09-2003, 15:23
i have to agree with orangebird. Until we have sorted out our countrys own problems we should not accept anywherer elses. I walk through Glasgow & see Homeless children on the street that we can help, so why shouldent we feel a bit peeved off when the asylum seekers are give a home & money for food.

Ok i do grant that the papers go to far when the start claiming they are almost living like kings, but they are still a hell of a lot better off than a lot of people in this country.

aliferste
05-09-2003, 15:37
Originally posted by nighthawk
i have to agree with orangebird. Until we have sorted out our countrys own problems we should not accept anywherer elses. I walk through Glasgow & see Homeless children on the street that we can help, so why shouldent we feel a bit peeved off when the asylum seekers are give a home & money for food.

Ok i do grant that the papers go to far when the start claiming they are almost living like kings, but they are still a hell of a lot better off than a lot of people in this country.

Where in Glasgow do you see homeless chilldren? In Glasgow we have a better system than most. When homeless people do try and get on there feet they are treated like ****.....im thinking about the amount of big issue sellers here. Not too long ago the "daily record" was having a go at them as well.......a nice easy target to get people annoyed at. Rather like asylum seekers.

The social problems you have mentioned are bad, but people are fleeing from persecution and possible death....much worse.

These social problems are going to be with us for a long long time, in fact i doubt if they will ever go away......at what point do you say......now we can help other people. Do we not have a christian society? Love thy neighbour and all that?

Or is it a case of "im alright jack" fend for yourself?
How easy it is to say that we should wait until our countries problems are fixed before we help others when we secretly know that they never will be!!

Ps......asylum seekers are not given money..they are given vouchers.....and when they are housed they are given the houses that people do not want, the ones that the council ofer everyone and are then turned down as they are in the worst areas......the "sighthill " fiasco springs immediatly to mind.

Escapee
05-09-2003, 17:39
I was talking to a Black person earlier this week who is over here studying at university, I mentioned to her that Cardiff is very much a multi-cultural city. She said it really gets her annoyed because when you visit Rome you expect to see lots of Romans and not a load of foreigners.

It really does make a mockery of the so called middle aged white stereotype racist doesn't it?

aliferste
06-09-2003, 15:48
Originally posted by Escapee
I was talking to a Black person earlier this week who is over here studying at university, I mentioned to her that Cardiff is very much a multi-cultural city. She said it really gets her annoyed because when you visit Rome you expect to see lots of Romans and not a load of foreigners.

It really does make a mockery of the so called middle aged white stereotype racist doesn't it?

I think youll find that was Italians......and possibly she was talking about the tourists :rolleyes:

Ramrod
06-09-2003, 16:08
If we had the money in the UK to look afters it's own (British by birth), I wouldn't be so cheesed off about it all. Until this country can sort it's own problems out (there's enough poverty, homelessness, unemployed etc as it is), I don't think we should take on anyone else's..... :shrug: Absolutely, and I speak as the son of refugees. If the stuff my dad had to do before he was fully accepted as a citizen (told where to work, for how much pay and where to live) was implemented today, amnesty international would be up in arms. The thing is that he was happy to do whatever he was told to because he was getting refuge here. Nowadays immigrants riot because they are given baked beans to eat!:afire:

Ramrod
06-09-2003, 16:10
Ps......asylum seekers are not given money..they are given vouchers..... So how do they get the cars they drive around in and the mobile phones they use?

aliferste
06-09-2003, 16:12
Originally posted by Ramrod
So how do they get the cars they drive around in and the mobile phones they use?

How do you know they are Asylum Seekers? you some kind of expert?

aliferste
06-09-2003, 16:37
Originally posted by Shabba
I don't think you need to be an expert!

Just work hard all your life and afford a new bmw with a boombox in the boot.

'nuff said :)

I dont understand this?:confused:

kronas
06-09-2003, 16:37
Originally posted by Shabba
I don't think you need to be an expert!

Just work hard all your life and afford a new bmw with a boombox in the boot.

'nuff said :)

exactly im sick of this the asylum seekers have this and that how do you know that a member of the public isnt a british citizen also those that have come usally earn money by working

aliferste
06-09-2003, 16:55
Asylum Seekers cannot work therefore cannot buy things like cars and mobile phones. Occasianally they are gifted mobile phones and vouchers however as there ARE some charitable people that live in the UK and understand their plight.

Defiant
06-09-2003, 18:50
Nothing seems to be wrong in your world but yo can't try telling people your version of the "open door" while we see whats happening with our own eyes and ears.

NUFF SAID

aliferste
06-09-2003, 18:58
Nothing seems to be wrong in your world but yo can't try telling people your version of the "open door" while we see whats happening with our own eyes and ears.

NUFF SAID

What are you talking about Defiant?

Ramrod
06-09-2003, 19:25
Asylum Seekers cannot work therefore cannot buy things like cars and mobile phones. Occasianally they are gifted mobile phones and vouchers however as there ARE some charitable people that live in the UK and understand their plight. ........and give them cars?

aliferste
06-09-2003, 20:18
How do you know it is Asylum Seekers?

Jerrek
07-09-2003, 16:47
I'm a refugee, and I had to pass tests when I obtained my citizenships in North America.

Defiant
07-09-2003, 19:36
Something that should have been done here years ago ;)

aliferste
07-09-2003, 19:52
Something that should have been done here years ago ;)

What do you think should be in the Citizenship test?

Dave Stones
07-09-2003, 19:55
how to speak english for a start

how to make a good cuppa

basic knkowledge about the country eg who the queen is, why everyone in lancashire eats hotpot etc etc

aliferste
07-09-2003, 21:19
how to speak english for a start

how to make a good cuppa

basic knkowledge about the country eg who the queen is, why everyone in lancashire eats hotpot etc etc

Ah yes, absolute rubbish, :rolleyes:

aliferste
07-09-2003, 21:32
Seeing as how you people cant come up with anything...here is the questions to the US citizenship test

1. What are the colors of the flag? (A)

2. How many stars are there in our flag? (A)

3. What color are the stars on our flag? (A)

4. What do the stars on the flag mean? (A)

5. How many stripes are there in the flag? (A)

6. What color are the stripes? (A)

7. What do the stripes on the flag mean? (A)

8. How many states are there in the union (United States)? (A)

9. What is the 4th of July? (A)

10. What is the date of Independence Day? (A)

11. Independence from whom? (A)

12. What country did we fight during the Revolutionary War? (A)

13. Who was the first president of the United States? (A)

14. Who is the president of the United States today? (A)

15. Who is the vice president of the United States? (A)

16. Who elects the president of the United States? (A)

17. Who becomes president of the United States if the president should die? (A)

18. For how long do we elect the president? (A)

19. What is the Constitution? (A)

20. Can the Constitution be changed? (A)

21. What do we call a change to the Constitution? (A)

22. How many changes or amendments are there to the Constitution? (A)

23. How many branches are there in our government? (A)

24. What are the three branches of our government? (A)

25. What is the legislative branch of our government? (A)

26. Who makes the laws in the United States? (A)

27. What is Congress? (A)

28. What are the duties of Congress? (A)

29. Who elects Congress? (A)

30. How many senators are there in Congress? (A)

31. Can you name the two senators from your state? (A)

32. For how long do we elect each senator? (A)

33. How many representatives are there in Congress? (A)

34. For how long do we elect the representative? (A)

35. What is the executive branch of our government? (A)

36. What is the judicial branch of our government? (A)

37. What are the duties of the Supreme Court? (A)

38. What is the supreme law of the United States? (A)

39. What is the Bill of Rights? (A)

40. What is the capital of your state? (A)

41. Who is the current governor of your state? (A)

42. Who becomes president of the United States if the president and the vice president should die? (A)

43. Who is the chief justice of the Supreme Court? (A)

44. Can you name the 13 original states? (A)

45. Who said, "Give me liberty or give me death"? (A)

46. Which countries were our principal allies during World War II? (A)

47. What is the 49th state of the Union (United States)? (A)

48. How many terms can a president serve? (A)

49. Who was Martin Luther King Jr.? (A)

50. Who is the head of your local government? (A)

51. According to the Constitution, a person must meet certain requirements in order to be eligible to become president. Name one of these requirements. (A)

52. Why are there 100 senators in the Senate? (A)

53. Who selects the Supreme Court justices? (A)

54. How many Supreme Court justices are there? (A)

55. Why did the Pilgrims come to America? (A)

56. What is the head executive of a state government called? (A)

57. What is the head executive of a city government called? (A)

58. What holiday was celebrated for the first time by the American Colonists? (A)

59. Who was the main writer of the Declaration of Independence? (A)

60. When was the Declaration of Independence adopted? (A)

61. What is the basic belief of the Declaration of Independence? (A)

62. What is the national anthem of the United States? (A)

63. Who wrote the Star-Spangled Banner? (A)

64. Where does freedom of speech come from? (A)

65. What is the minimum voting age in the United States? (A)

66. Who signs bills into law? (A)

67. What is the highest court in the United States? (A)

68. Who was president during the Civil War? (A)

69. What did the Emancipation Proclamation do? (A)

70. What special group advises the president? (A)

71. Which president is called the "father of our country"? (A)

72. What is the 50th state of the Union (United States)? (A)

73. Who helped the Pilgrims in America? (A)

74. What is the name of the ship that brought the Pilgrims to America? (A)

75. What were the 13 original states of the U.S. called? (A)

76. Name three rights or freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. (A)

77. Who has the power to declare war? (A)

78. Name one amendment that guarantees or addresses voting rights. (A)

79. Which president freed the slaves? (A)

80. In what year was the Constitution written? (A)

81. What are the first 10 amendments to the Constitution called? (A)

82. Name one purpose of the United Nations. (A)

83. Where does Congress meet? (A)

84. Whose rights are guaranteed by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights? (A)

85. What is the introduction to the Constitution called? (A)

86. Name one benefit of being a citizen of the United States. (A)

87. What is the most important right granted to U.S. citizens? (A)

88. What is the United States Capitol (building)? (A)

89. What is the White House? (A)

90. Where is the White House located? (A)

91. What is the name of the president's official home? (A)

92. Name one right guaranteed by the First Amendment. (A)

93. Who is the commander in chief of the U.S. military? (A)

94. Which president was the first commander in chief of the U.S. military? (A)

95. In what month do we vote for the president? (A)

96. In what month is the new president inaugurated? (A)

97. How many times may be a senator be reelected? (A)

98. How many times may a congressman be reelected? (A)

99. What are the two major political parties in the United States today? (A)

100. How many states are there in the United States? (A)

I wonder how many people here could answer the same type of questions about the UK.... I doubt many......
The test should take 10 mins!!!!

Defiant possibly couldnt find the correct room :rolleyes: ;)

Defiant
07-09-2003, 21:37
aliferste were you an immigrant or something. You sound it the way you carry on. You can't say enough for them can you. Well everything must be rosy dory in Glasgow thats all I can say

Dave Stones
07-09-2003, 22:04
Seeing as how you people cant come up with anything...here is the questions to the US citizenship test

<snip>

I wonder how many people here could answer the same type of questions about the UK.... I doubt many......
The test should take 10 mins!!!!

Defiant possibly couldnt find the correct room :rolleyes: ;)

if someone came up with a 100-question test on the UK i would honestly say i had a good chance.

i think the same sort of thing does need to be implemented here, if people want to become citizens then they should know the basics abuot the country, like they have to do in yankistan...

Dave Stones
07-09-2003, 22:05
<snip>rosy dory <snip>

hunky dory ;)

*is too picky :erm:

homealone
07-09-2003, 22:34
aliferste were you an immigrant or something. You sound it the way you carry on. You can't say enough for them can you. Well everything must be rosy dory in Glasgow thats all I can say

his last post could have done without the personal jibe, but it did inform & was relevant.?

From another viewpoint your use of the word "immigrant" could have been seen as inappropriate in the context?

I agree with his point that many indigenous "UK Citizens" would have trouble answering a similar test?

Defiant
07-09-2003, 22:34
hunky dory ;)

*is too picky :erm:

in the middle of re-imaging this machine so in a rush lol

Jerrek
08-09-2003, 03:43
Let me try this test... :D

1. What are the colors of the flag? (A) blue, white, and red

2. How many stars are there in our flag? (A) 50

3. What color are the stars on our flag? (A) white

4. What do the stars on the flag mean? (A) one per state

5. How many stripes are there in the flag? (A) 13

6. What color are the stripes? (A) red and white

7. What do the stripes on the flag mean? (A) 13 original colonies

8. How many states are there in the union (United States)? (A) 50

9. What is the 4th of July? (A) independence day

10. What is the date of Independence Day? (A) July 4

11. Independence from whom? (A) Britain

12. What country did we fight during the Revolutionary War? (A) Britain

13. Who was the first president of the United States? (A) George Washington

14. Who is the president of the United States today? (A) George W. Bush

15. Who is the vice president of the United States? (A) Dick Cheney

16. Who elects the president of the United States? (A) the electoral college

17. Who becomes president of the United States if the president should die? (A) Vice president

18. For how long do we elect the president? (A) 4 years

19. What is the Constitution? (A) the basis of all laws

20. Can the Constitution be changed? (A) yes

21. What do we call a change to the Constitution? (A) amendment

22. How many changes or amendments are there to the Constitution? (A) 27 (I think, or 28)

23. How many branches are there in our government? (A) three

24. What are the three branches of our government? (A) executive, legislative, judicial

25. What is the legislative branch of our government? (A) they make laws. Congress.

26. Who makes the laws in the United States? (A) Congress

27. What is Congress? (A) Senate and House of Representatives

28. What are the duties of Congress? (A) to pass laws

29. Who elects Congress? (A) the people

30. How many senators are there in Congress? (A) 100

31. Can you name the two senators from your state? (A) N/A

32. For how long do we elect each senator? (A) 6 years

33. How many representatives are there in Congress? (A) 514

34. For how long do we elect the representative? (A) 2 years

35. What is the executive branch of our government? (A) president and cabinet

36. What is the judicial branch of our government? (A) courts

37. What are the duties of the Supreme Court? (A) to interpret the Constitution

38. What is the supreme law of the United States? (A) Constitution

39. What is the Bill of Rights? (A) a law that outlines legal rights you have as a citizen

40. What is the capital of your state? (A) N/A

41. Who is the current governor of your state? (A) N/A

42. Who becomes president of the United States if the president and the vice president should die? (A) Speaker of the House

43. Who is the chief justice of the Supreme Court? (A) (I have no idea. Shame on me)

44. Can you name the 13 original states? (A) Ummm, ****, not all of them.

45. Who said, "Give me liberty or give me death"? (A) Adams

46. Which countries were our principal allies during World War II? (A) Britain, France, and U.S.S.R.

47. What is the 49th state of the Union (United States)? (A) Alaska

48. How many terms can a president serve? (A) 2

49. Who was Martin Luther King Jr.? (A) civil rights advocate. black dude.

50. Who is the head of your local government? (A) N/A

51. According to the Constitution, a person must meet certain requirements in order to be eligible to become president. Name one of these requirements. (A) Natural born citizen, and age: 40

52. Why are there 100 senators in the Senate? (A) 2 per state

53. Who selects the Supreme Court justices? (A) president

54. How many Supreme Court justices are there? (A) 9

55. Why did the Pilgrims come to America? (A) Europe sucks. Badly.

56. What is the head executive of a state government called? (A) Governor

57. What is the head executive of a city government called? (A) Mayor

58. What holiday was celebrated for the first time by the American Colonists? (A) Thanksgiving

59. Who was the main writer of the Declaration of Independence? (A) Thomas Jefferson

60. When was the Declaration of Independence adopted? (A) July 4, 1776

61. What is the basic belief of the Declaration of Independence? (A) that all men are created equal

62. What is the national anthem of the United States? (A) Star Spangled Banner

63. Who wrote the Star-Spangled Banner? (A) (Um, I know this, I just don't know it now...)

64. Where does freedom of speech come from? (A) (wtf?)

65. What is the minimum voting age in the United States? (A) 18

66. Who signs bills into law? (A) president

67. What is the highest court in the United States? (A) supreme court

68. Who was president during the Civil War? (A) abraham lincoln

69. What did the Emancipation Proclamation do? (A) ended slavery

70. What special group advises the president? (A) cabinet

71. Which president is called the "father of our country"? (A) washington

72. What is the 50th state of the Union (United States)? (A) hawaii

73. Who helped the Pilgrims in America? (A) (err?)

74. What is the name of the ship that brought the Pilgrims to America? (A) Mayflower

75. What were the 13 original states of the U.S. called? (A) Confederation

76. Name three rights or freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. (A) speech, assembly, movement

77. Who has the power to declare war? (A) congress

78. Name one amendment that guarantees or addresses voting rights. (A) 26th amendment (age)

79. Which president freed the slaves? (A) abraham lincoln

80. In what year was the Constitution written? (A) 1776

81. What are the first 10 amendments to the Constitution called? (A) Bill of Rights

82. Name one purpose of the United Nations. (A) To employ crappy idiots and to undermine the U.S.

83. Where does Congress meet? (A) Capitol

84. Whose rights are guaranteed by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights? (A) citizen's

85. What is the introduction to the Constitution called? (A) preamble?

86. Name one benefit of being a citizen of the United States. (A) you get to serve in the military :D

87. What is the most important right granted to U.S. citizens? (A) (Wtf?)

88. What is the United States Capitol (building)? (A) washington, dc

89. What is the White House? (A) home of the president

90. Where is the White House located? (A) 1600 pennsylvania ave, washington dc

91. What is the name of the president's official home? (A) white house

92. Name one right guaranteed by the First Amendment. (A) free speech

93. Who is the commander in chief of the U.S. military? (A) president

94. Which president was the first commander in chief of the U.S. military? (A) washington

95. In what month do we vote for the president? (A) november

96. In what month is the new president inaugurated? (A) january

97. How many times may be a senator be reelected? (A) any number

98. How many times may a congressman be reelected? (A) any number

99. What are the two major political parties in the United States today? (A) republicans and democrats

100. How many states are there in the United States? (A) 50

heh

aliferste
08-09-2003, 08:12
OR you could have found the test on google like i did and copied the answers :rolleyes:

aliferste
08-09-2003, 08:44

I merely have a heart and like to support those in need :)

Ramrod
08-09-2003, 08:48
How do you know it is Asylum Seekers? The same way I used to be able to know if someone was French, German, Dutch, American...etc when I lived in Bayswater, London.
You just know by looking at them.:shrug:

Ramrod
08-09-2003, 08:49
Originally posted by Jerrek
I'm a refugee, and I had to pass tests when I obtained my citizenships in North America. Where you from originally?

Defiant
08-09-2003, 10:10
Originally posted by homealone
his last post could have done without the personal jibe, but it did inform & was relevant.?

I mearly asked what I suspect but "jibe" interesting

From another viewpoint your use of the word "immigrant" could have been seen as inappropriate in the context?

You really really think that after reading his posts on the matter. He loves them and they can do nothing wrong

kronas
08-09-2003, 13:35
The same way I used to be able to know if someone was French, German, Dutch, American...etc when I lived in Bayswater, London.

eh?

what about if someone had an english father and a german mother but has lived here all the persons in question lives they may not look english but speak it fluently ?

also having british citizenship of course

Chris
08-09-2003, 13:58
Let me try this test... :D
82. Name one purpose of the United Nations. (A) To employ crappy idiots and to undermine the U.S.
heh

Sad thing is, this is probably the right answer

aliferste
08-09-2003, 15:19
The same way I used to be able to know if someone was French, German, Dutch, American...etc when I lived in Bayswater, London.

So you base your views on a stereotypical view of how you think an asylum seeker would look:rolleyes:

Ok......im going to tell you now they were not Asylum Seekers ok!!You would more than probably find they were just ordinary UK citizens !!

aliferste
08-09-2003, 15:23

You really really think that after reading his posts on the matter. He loves them and they can do nothing wrong [/B]

Whereas you refuse to look up some simple facts and become more open minded about these things. I wouldnt say that they can do nothing wrong, they are just ORDINARY HUMAN BEINGS like everyone else who have the same needs and wants..........although possibly more needs as they are fleeing from something.

Defiant
08-09-2003, 15:47
I wouldnt say that they can do nothing wrong, they are just ORDINARY HUMAN BEINGS like everyone else who have the same needs and wants..........although possibly more needs as they are fleeing from something.

Of course their just human being's and yes their all fleeing those dangerous country like France and Germany. Oops theirs me done it again. I must remember what you have already said. Their all coming over here because they have friends and relative's already living over here:eek: Well that tells me if true we have enough already :shrug:

Time to shut the door and perhaps send the do gooders over to those dangerous countrys like France. Well not France thats perhaps a little too much how about Germany:shrug:

Ramrod
08-09-2003, 18:36
So you base your views on a stereotypical view of how you think an asylum seeker would look:rolleyes:

No, I'm not basing my views on how they look. I'm just saying that you can often tell an asylum seeker from the way he looks+dresses. Bit like the way you know if someone is a pikey. Thats all.:shrug:

Ramrod
08-09-2003, 18:38
Originally posted by kronas
eh?

what about if someone had an english father and a german mother but has lived here all the persons in question lives they may not look english but speak it fluently ?

also having british citizenship of course But we are talking about people who have recently arrived here, not someone who grew up in the uk.:confused:
I have Latvian parents who were asylum seekers in their day. I have always looked, acted and sounded English, because I grew up here. However, I can easily spot recent arrivals from the Baltic states by the way they look, their haircuts and the way they dress.

aliferste
08-09-2003, 19:44
No, I'm not basing my views on how they look. I'm just saying that you can often tell an asylum seeker from the way he looks+dresses. Bit like the way you know if someone is a pikey. Thats all.:shrug:

What is a pikey?

Jerrek
08-09-2003, 20:10
Where would you rate me from? Here is my picture:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~johannj/personal/me.jpg

http://home.cogeco.ca/~johannj/personal/me2.jpg

Defiant
08-09-2003, 20:13
Canada, Eastern Europe. Doe's it matter ?

Jerrek
08-09-2003, 20:20
I'm asking Ramrod. :p I want to see what he comes up with. Yes, I'm Canadian now, but I acquired that citizenship. I was born somewhere else in the world....

Ramrod
08-09-2003, 20:33
Where would you rate me from? Here is my picture:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~johannj/personal/me.jpg

http://home.cogeco.ca/~johannj/personal/me2.jpg No idea, not enough info from those pics. You have probably integrated as well.
At a guess, from your face alone (but thats not much to go on) you could be Russian/Polish/Ukranian.:shrug: :)
How long have you been in Canada?

Ramrod
08-09-2003, 20:39
What is a pikey? Gypsy, generally of UK extraction. Think Brad Pitt ( he overplayed it as well) in that film (the name of which escapes me) where they are trying to find that diamond. Had that hardcase footballer in it as well.

aliferste
08-09-2003, 20:48
Gypsy, generally of UK extraction. Think Brad Pitt ( he overplayed it as well) in that film (the name of which escapes me) where they are trying to find that diamond. Had that hardcase footballer in it as well.

So you are happy using derogatory terms for minority groups? You are just the type of person i would expect not to accept Asylum Seekers.

Ramrod
08-09-2003, 21:03
So you are happy using derogatory terms for minority groups? You are just the type of person i would expect not to accept Asylum Seekers. In this case, perfectly happy:) : Pikey: (Noun). A gypsy, a vagabond. [South-east England/Kent use. Dialect]
You are also forgetting that I am the child of immigrants/ asylum seekers. Of course I don't have a problem with asylum seekers, just illegal economic migrants and anyone who makes a living from theft or other illegal activities.

aliferste
08-09-2003, 21:12
In this case, perfectly happy:) :
You are also forgetting that I am the child of immigrants/ asylum seekers. Of course I don't have a problem with asylum seekers, just illegal economic migrants and anyone who makes a living from theft or other illegal activities.

I find your attitude regarding derogatory language disgusting.

Did your parents seek asylum or were they economic migrants?

Ramrod
08-09-2003, 21:24
I find your attitude regarding derogatory language disgusting. Thats your perogative. It's just like calling a Scot a 'jock' or an Irishman 'paddy'. I suppose it depends on your experiences. I've been calle a f*ckin' Englishman or Rooinek, in South Africa (and beaten up for it) then I was called a f*ckin' Afrikaaner, just because I had lived in South Africa for a while (and beaten up for it by the black kids) when I got back to the UK! My parents were called lots of names by the English for many years.
So I am afraid that 'pikey' ranks very low down the list of insults. It's just a description imo. It's just that it's not PC to use it.

Did your parents seek asylum or were they economic migrants? Asylum, they were known as displased persons or DP's. They would have been killed if they had gone back at that time.

aliferste
08-09-2003, 21:38
Thats your perogative. It's just like calling a Scot a 'jock' or an Irishman 'paddy'. I suppose it depends on your experiences. I've been calle a f*ckin' Englishman or Rooinek, in South Africa (and beaten up for it) then I was called a f*ckin' Afrikaaner, just because I had lived in South Africa for a while (and beaten up for it by the black kids) when I got back to the UK! My parents were called lots of names by the English for many years.
So I am afraid that 'pikey' ranks very low down the list of insults. It's just a description imo. It's just that it's not PC to use it.

Asylum, they were known as displased persons or DP's. They would have been killed if they had gone back at that time.

No......its like calling someone from Pakistan a "paki" or someone from China a "chinky"

LOL

So i would think you at least would have some sympathy for people seeking asylum in this country......after all if your parents were not granted it then you would not be here.
You sound no better than the people that were calling your parents names. :shrug:

By the way .......the term "political correctness" or PC was coined by far right groups in the good ole USA to belittle the way that language was changing (they still wanted to say nigger)

Niles Crane
08-09-2003, 21:55

This idiotic comment has near completly deminished your whole argument. How you can base things on COMPLETELY NO EVIDENCE apart from your own amazingly biased mind, is baffling.

Ramrod
08-09-2003, 21:58
No......its like calling someone from Pakistan a "paki" or someone from China a "chinky"So you are saying that calling a scot a 'jock' is as bad as calling a pakistani a 'paki'?

So i would think you at least would have some sympathy for people seeking asylum in this country of course I do! Please don't suggest that I don't just because I called Kentish gypsies pikeys after all if your parents were not granted it then you would not be here. (seperate argument)but they were granted asylum because they were genuine asylum seekers. The ones I don't have any problem with.
You sound no better than the people that were calling your parents names. :shrug: I feel that you are misinterpreting/misrepresenting my views

By the way .......the term "political correctness" or PC was coined by far right groups in the good ole USA to belittle the way that language was changing (they still wanted to say nigger) So what? Does that mean (that because of where it originated) it cannot be used?-it's usage has seemingly changed since then.

Ramrod
08-09-2003, 22:12
Originally posted by Ezenden
This idiotic comment has near completly deminished your whole argument. How you can base things on COMPLETELY NO EVIDENCE apart from your own amazingly biased mind, is baffling. Hey, f*ck you! How dare you say I have a biased mind just because I once developed the (useless) skill of being able to fairly accurately tell where a tourist was from? Where's the bias in that. It's just like saying I'm biased when I can spot where someone is from by their accent! Obviously someones accent is completely of no evidence either!
You are really pi**ing me off here. Keep your assumptions to yourself:afire:

aliferste
08-09-2003, 22:38
So you are saying that calling a scot a 'jock' is as bad as calling a pakistani a 'paki'?

of course I do! Please don't suggest that I don't just because I called Kentish gypsies pikeys (seperate argument)but they were granted asylum because they were genuine asylum seekers. The ones I don't have any problem with.

So what? Does that mean (that because of where it originated) it cannot be used?-it's usage has seemingly changed since then.

No....im saying.. calling a traveller a Pikey is as bad as calling a Pakistani a paki...

How would you feel if noone believed your parents that they should be granted asylum? By the way......i see that they must have travelled through another EU state.....why did they come specifically to the UK and not stop in ........say France or Germany?

Ramrod
08-09-2003, 22:49
No....im saying.. calling a traveller a Pikey is as bad as calling a Pakistani a paki... Thats your prerogative. I was born and live in Kent and thats the way I see it. If I am wrong then I stand corrected.

How would you feel if noone believed your parents that they should be granted asylum? By the way......i see that they must have travelled through another EU state.....why did they come specifically to the UK and not stop in ........say France or Germany? My father was a pow in Belgum and my mother was a DP in Germany before being invited/allowed to come to Britain at the end of the war. They were allowed to come because of worker shortages at the end of the war and they elected to come because of family here already. My father was told where to live and what job to do for how long and for what wages. They both 'integrated' as fully and quickly as was possible. They had the choice of going to the USA or Canada as well.

aliferste
08-09-2003, 22:56
So they came as they already had familly here. A bit like the reason why other asylum seekers are wanting to come.

But anyway, I take it you are all for the citizenship test?

Ramrod
08-09-2003, 23:25
So they came as they already had familly here. A bit like the reason why other asylum seekers are wanting to come.

You just ignored the other reason they came. Because they were invited/allowed to. You also ignored that they had a choice to go to two other, more affluent countries that were relatively untouched by war. They came to England despite how everything was here! Thats not a bit like the situation today!

aliferste
08-09-2003, 23:30
Thats not a bit like the situation today!

And the situation today is that there are more people coming from Iraq than ever, and other countries where there is appaling human rights abuses.
When they get here they are accused of being bogus!! Could do with a few more friends i think !!

Ramrod
08-09-2003, 23:34
But anyway, I take it you are all for the citizenship test? lol! But they need to let the rest of us swot up on it as well!:D
and before you have a go at me for not knowing as much as I perhaps should about Britishness...I spent years in South Africa as a child and when I came back here I wasn't tought about British history at school (probably not PC:rolleyes: ) Everything I know about this countrys history I learnt for myself. The year before coming back to the UK I tried to learn about the history of England (kings, queens, battles etc.) so that I could 'fit back in'. Imagine my surprise when I found out that it was no longer necessary to know that stuff at school!
In Africa we had to learn dates, events and names off by heart. South African history was proudly tought, not like history seems to be here. but I digress.....:D

aliferste
08-09-2003, 23:38
South African history was proudly tought, not like history seems to be here. but I digress.....:D

I wonder what they tought you......how long ago was it?;)

Ramrod
08-09-2003, 23:39
And the situation today is that there are more people coming from Iraq than ever, and other countries where there is appaling human rights abuses.
When they get here they are accused of being bogus!! Could do with a few more friends i think !! True. You can give many examples of deserving asylum seekers. I have already said that I have no problem with them. However the point I was making is that true refugees go to the closest friendly country that will have them. Not like the situation we have today.

Graham
08-09-2003, 23:40
Originally posted by Ramrod In Africa we had to learn dates, events and names off by heart. South African history was proudly tought, not like history seems to be here. but I digress.....:D

Pardon me, but I just *have* to ask.

Was that, perchance, *White* South African history?

Just like the US Citizenship test doesn't seem to require the applicant to know about massacres of the Indian tribes...?!

Ramrod
08-09-2003, 23:43
I wonder what they tought you......how long ago was it?;) lol, thinking back, it was remarkably unbiased. Just dates, battles, names. No political indoctrination was discernable.
Probably because we were taught mainly by English teachers. We were not allowed to be taught in the same classes as the africaans kids, you see. We were second class citizens.

Ramrod
08-09-2003, 23:46
Originally posted by Graham
Pardon me, but I just *have* to ask.

Was that, perchance, *White* South African history?

Just like the US Citizenship test doesn't seem to require the applicant to know about massacres of the Indian tribes...?! No, we were taught black history as well. Chiefs, migrations, battles, culture, innovations etc....
We were also taught Zulu, if I had been further north I would have had to learn Kosa instead. We were also taught about the massacres of the blacks, africaaners and english. Interesting times!

Ramrod
08-09-2003, 23:49
Just like the US Citizenship test doesn't seem to require the applicant to know about massacres of the Indian tribes...?! Still in this day and age?! Thats terrible.

Stephen Robb
09-09-2003, 02:49
How many of the older ones remember Enoch Powell's speech on "The rivers of blood in our streets" when he was an MP in the '60's, when they started bringing in people from the West Indies, to do the work that the white man didn't want to do

He was shouted down as being racist then, but as he said at that time it was the thin edge of the wedge, and to a certain extent that has come true.

Really at the end of the day, how long is it going to be before this country goes bankrupt?? You just can't keep saying "let them in" and keep throwing billions of pounds at it. According to statistics in about 30 years there will not be enough people working to pay taxes, for pensions, NHS, Social Security, schools, defence, and anything that comes out of it.

Let's be really truthful here, and if some might say I'm racist to a certain extent, so be it. I and a considerable number of people in this country (according to polls) are getting exceedingly insensed how we are being made second class citizens in our own bl*ody country. We have paid our taxes and I certainly did for 45 years. Just to give you some idea how much I have paid into the system, I receive as well as my ordinary pension, a second one called Additional pension payable (after any contracted out Deduction).
This was a scheme that ran from 1961 to 1975, and if you earnt over a certain you paid an extra 8% on your stamp. I get paid £46.78 per week for this extra pension. I get 7p back for every £1.00 I paid into the system, so I think I have earned that right!

What annoys me with some these free loaders and you see it in the papers nearly every day, and bear in mind they have never contribute a single penny to the system

Walk into a brand new house or we'll knock two into one. Yes? You have two wives and sixteen children, no problem, move in straight away (makes no difference how long you have been waiting on that list)
Top priority to free NHS treatment, operations, doctors etc. (Don't matter a jot whether you have been waiting 2 years for a hip operation. Just wait another couple of years!)
Free driving lessons. Certainly step right up and we'll buy you a car as well
HRT, AIDS, TB, Hepartitis, any other nasty diseases! No problem, we will get you to see a consultant straight away, and we will just tell him to put his list back 6 months.
5 star hotel, 3 square meals a day, packet of fags and on top of this we'll give you some money. Now don't forget, if you don't like what we have given you, you have our permission to smash the hotel up.
Oh your a Muslim, but you have turned Christian, and you will be persecuted if you return. No problem, we can accommodate you. Doesn't matter if you can't read the Bible!

By the way Aliferste in your post #19, I think your'll find that was over ruled, by either the Law Lords or the European Court of Justice

Jerrek
09-09-2003, 05:11
Ramrod... Verstaan jy wat ek hier tik? Dis interessant om iemand van Suid Afrika hier to sien. Heh. Was jy in Suid Afrika gebore? Is you ouers van Suid Afrika?

Ek was in Suid Afrika gebore in 1982. Pretoria, Suid Afrika. Ek het daar vir etlike jare gebly as a kind. My ouers het to na Kaapstad getrek, waar ek nog a paar jaar gespandeer het. Ek dink ek het standerd twee of drie klaar gemaak toe my ouers besluit het om Suid Afrika te verlaat. In die jare daar na het ek in a paar lande gebly, selfs Malaysie.

Ah well. I apologize for my Afrikaans. The highest education I had in that tongue was um, Standard 2 I think. These days I rarely use it. Only with my parents, and even then half of the words are English.

Probably because we were taught mainly by English teachers. We were not allowed to be taught in the same classes as the africaans kids, you see. We were second class citizens.

Hmm, this seems to indicate that you are a English-bored South African. So I'm really wondering if you understood what I typed up there... :D

Ramrod
09-09-2003, 09:32
Ramrod... Verstaan jy wat ek hier tik? Dis interessant om iemand van Suid Afrika hier to sien. Heh. Was jy in Suid Afrika gebore? Is you ouers van Suid Afrika?

Ek was in Suid Afrika gebore in 1982. Pretoria, Suid Afrika. Ek het daar vir etlike jare gebly as a kind. My ouers het to na Kaapstad getrek, waar ek nog a paar jaar gespandeer het. Ek dink ek het standerd twee of drie klaar gemaak toe my ouers besluit het om Suid Afrika te verlaat. In die jare daar na het ek in a paar lande gebly, selfs Malaysie.Lol. Ek verstaan ein bitjie. Do I understand what you are typing here? Its interesting to see someone else from SA here. Was i born in SA? Are my parents from SA?
You were born in SA in 1982 (the year afterI left) In Pretoria. You lived there for (etlike-some?-several?) years as a child. Then your parents moved to Kaapstad where you spent another couple of years. You think you got to standard 2 or 3 before your parents decided to leave SA.In the years after that you lived in a couple of countries including Malaysia.
Ah well. I apologize for my Afrikaans. The highest education I had in that tongue was um, Standard 2 I think. These days I rarely use it. Only with my parents, and even then half of the words are English. Miles better than mine!

Hmm, this seems to indicate that you are a English-bored South African. So I'm really wondering if you understood what I typed up there... :D Nope, I was born in Kent.:D

Chris
09-09-2003, 09:33
Just like the US Citizenship test doesn't seem to require the applicant to know about massacres of the Indian tribes...?!

This is just a little unfair ... We all have room for improvement, but give them credit for putting Martin Luther King and the abolition of slavery in there.

Chris
09-09-2003, 09:34
Only with my parents, and even then half of the words are English.

Sounds like Welsh or Gaelic...

/runs for cover ;)

aliferste
09-09-2003, 10:25
Originally posted by Stephen Robb

Really at the end of the day, how long is it going to be before this country goes bankrupt?? You just can't keep saying "let them in" and keep throwing billions of pounds at it. According to statistics in about 30 years there will not be enough people working to pay taxes, for pensions, NHS, Social Security, schools, defence, and anything that comes out of it.

What annoys me with some these free loaders and you see it in the papers nearly every day, and bear in mind they have never contribute a single penny to the system

Walk into a brand new house or we'll knock two into one. Yes? You have two wives and sixteen children, no problem, move in straight away (makes no difference how long you have been waiting on that list)
Top priority to free NHS treatment, operations, doctors etc. (Don't matter a jot whether you have been waiting 2 years for a hip operation. Just wait another couple of years!)
Free driving lessons. Certainly step right up and we'll buy you a car as well
HRT, AIDS, TB, Hepartitis, any other nasty diseases! No problem, we will get you to see a consultant straight away, and we will just tell him to put his list back 6 months.
5 star hotel, 3 square meals a day, packet of fags and on top of this we'll give you some money. Now don't forget, if you don't like what we have given you, you have our permission to smash the hotel up.
Oh your a Muslim, but you have turned Christian, and you will be persecuted if you return. No problem, we can accommodate you. Doesn't matter if you can't read the Bible!

By the way Aliferste in your post #19, I think your'll find that was over ruled, by either the Law Lords or the European Court of Justice

they have never contribute a single penny to the system

Refugees and asylum seekers have a huge variety of skills and, given the opportunity to work, make significant contributions to the economy and culture of the UK. A recent Home Office report shows that people born outside the UK, including asylum seekers, contribute 10% more to the economy in taxes and national insurance than they consume in benefits and public services - equivalent to a boost to the economy of £2.6 billion in 1998/99
It will probably be more now.

"Walk into a brand new house or we'll knock two into one. Yes? You have two wives and sixteen children, no problem, move in straight away (makes no difference how long you have been waiting on that list)"

Always the poorest housing in the worst areas, They do not get a choice whereas people on the list in the UK always say no to the housing that asylum seekers get.Asylum seekers are not entitled to be included on council housing lists. Accommodation is provided by the National Asylum Support Service (NASS), a Home Office department. It is only offered outside London and the South-East and asylum seekers have no choice over their destination.
When an asylum seeker is given refugee status or exceptional leave to remain they are entitled to apply for council housing if they are in priority need, like everyone else in the UK.

aliferste
09-09-2003, 10:27

My mistake.
Single asylum seekers receive £37.77 per week - just 70% of basic income support.

Ramrod
09-09-2003, 10:58
[i][b]When an asylum seeker is given refugee status or exceptional leave to remain they are entitled to apply for council housing if they are in priority need, like everyone else in the UK. Rightly or wrongly(I'm not sure which) I have a problem with that. I think that a country should sort it's own citizens out first and only then give others something.
It's a bit like me saying to my wife that our kids won't be getting new shoes because those kids two doors down have shoes that are more in need of replacing. That would be an odd way of runnning a family/home but thats how the country seems to be run these days.

aliferste
09-09-2003, 11:32
Rightly or wrongly(I'm not sure which) I have a problem with that. I think that a country should sort it's own citizens out first and only then give others something.

OK...im going to say this as plainly as i can.
THE SOCIAL PROBLEMS OF THIS COUNTRY WILL NEVER BE FIXED.
or if they are ....... it will be hundreds of years in the future or if something happens like free energy totally changes the way we all live.

so what you are saying is that you would help people when hell freezes over!!

Nice :shrug:

Ramrod
09-09-2003, 11:53
OK...im going to say this as plainly as i can.
THE SOCIAL PROBLEMS OF THIS COUNTRY WILL NEVER BE FIXED.
or if they are ....... it will be hundreds of years in the future or if something happens like free energy totally changes the way we all live.

so what you are saying is that you would help people when hell freezes over!!

Nice :shrug: No need to shout:) What you say is very true but I wonder if a good way of sorting out our social problems is by abundently (even recklessly) adding to them.
Of course we should help others but I can't help think about my mother in law whos heart op was very delayed (very probably because of foreign queue jumpers- from what she saw and was told at hospital). Because of the delay, she is in a much more serious condition now, post-op, and may die at any point.

aliferste
09-09-2003, 13:45
No need to shout:) What you say is very true but I wonder if a good way of sorting out our social problems is by abundently (even recklessly) adding to them.
Of course we should help others but I can't help think about my mother in law whos heart op was very delayed (very probably because of foreign queue jumpers- from what she saw and was told at hospital). Because of the delay, she is in a much more serious condition now, post-op, and may die at any point.

I doubt it was because of asylum seekers that her op was delayed.
Instead of blaming asylum seekers, why do you not turn the finger of blame against fat people as they are happy to eat away without looking after themselves and then turn to the NHS for help because of the diseases connected to it.
Imagine the stick if you were a fat asylum seeker:rolleyes: ;)

Ramrod
09-09-2003, 13:56
I doubt it was because of asylum seekers that her op was delayed. No it was probably due to 'medical tourists'
Instead of blaming asylum seekers, why do you not turn the finger of blame against fat people as they are happy to eat away without looking after themselves and then turn to the NHS for help because of the diseases connected to it. But at least they are our own fat people.
Imagine the stick if you were a fat asylum seeker:rolleyes: ;) :D

aliferste
09-09-2003, 14:02
No it was probably due to 'medical tourists'

Ive got to admit, THAT is something that drives me mad. You see, we do have a duty (whether people like it or not) to provide health care for Asylum Seekers whereas people just coming over here on a plane for there treatment and then buggering off again IS a major drag on the NHS.
At least Asylum Seekers can be accounted for and budgets and what not adjusted.

Ramrod
09-09-2003, 14:17
Ive got to admit, THAT is something that drives me mad. You see, we do have a duty (whether people like it or not) to provide health care for Asylum Seekers whereas people just coming over here on a plane for there treatment and then buggering off again IS a major drag on the NHS.
At least Asylum Seekers can be accounted for and budgets and what not adjusted. Agreed. I was mixing contentious issues there, sorry 'bout that:D

Stephen Robb
09-09-2003, 16:47
Gypsy, generally of UK extraction. Think Brad Pitt ( he overplayed it as well) in that film (the name of which escapes me) where they are trying to find that diamond. Had that hardcase footballer in it as well.

Ah but he was playing a Paddy Pikey! Film was called Snatch, with Mike Reid and Vinnie Jones. One of the funniest films I have ever seen. Even the b*oody dog is a nutter! My hero, Tyrone who pinces cars and is the getaway driver. One classic line from Brad Pitt, "Me Ma wants a caravan in periwinkle blue!" They are all nutters in the film

Graham
09-09-2003, 19:01

No it was probably due to 'medical tourists'

And yet, at the same time, there's controversy because we're sending *our* patients to *foreign* hospitals because we can't treat them on the NHS!

Something is *seriously* screwed up!!

aliferste
09-09-2003, 19:25

And yet, at the same time, there's controversy because we're sending *our* patients to *foreign* hospitals because we can't treat them on the NHS!

Something is *seriously* screwed up!! [/QUOTE]

Ive not heard about that? got a link?

Steve H
09-09-2003, 19:34

You wouldnt believe the truth in that sentence. Its time to start acting like other countries, and sending them back where they came from, regardless of the situation.

Graham
09-09-2003, 21:22

Ive not heard about that? got a link?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1510522.stm

http://society.guardian.co.uk/nhsperformance/story/0,8150,635784,00.html

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200203/cmhansrd/cm030225/text/30225w41.htm

Defiant
09-09-2003, 21:35
Yes but the French do get payed by us the tax payer. Then again its us the tax payer that pay of everyone else too

Ramrod
09-09-2003, 21:41

Something is *seriously* screwed up!! and were paying for that treatment. Surely it would be cheaper to get it here rather than outsource (unless it's to India of course)

Ramrod
09-09-2003, 21:45
Ah but he was playing a Paddy Pikey! Film was called Snatch, with Mike Reid and Vinnie Jones. One of the funniest films I have ever seen. Even the b*oody dog is a nutter! My hero, Tyrone who pinces cars and is the getaway driver. One classic line from Brad Pitt, "Me Ma wants a caravan in periwinkle blue!" They are all nutters in the film Steady on.....we can't say 'paddy' here, apparently. Might get told off!:rolleyes: :D

Ramrod
09-09-2003, 21:46

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1510522.stm

http://society.guardian.co.uk/nhsperformance/story/0,8150,635784,00.html

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200203/cmhansrd/cm030225/text/30225w41.htm At least they'll get beter Rx there!

Ramrod
09-09-2003, 21:48
Originally posted by Steve_NTL
You wouldnt believe the truth in that sentence. Its time to start acting like other countries, and sending them back where they came from, regardless of the situation. Broadly agree with you but not the bit about "regardless of the situation"
I do think that we/the developed world does have a duty of care to others. It's just that a lot of them seem to take the p*ss!:afire:

Ramrod
09-09-2003, 21:49
Originally posted by towny
Sounds like Welsh or Gaelic...

/runs for cover ;) :rofl: try Dutch:D

Ramrod
09-09-2003, 21:50
....anyhoo.....I feel like I've cought up now:D

aliferste
09-09-2003, 22:00
Steady on.....we can't say 'paddy' here, apparently. Might get told off!:rolleyes: :D

I was GOING to say something about that.....but decided i was being baited :)

aliferste
09-09-2003, 22:02
Its time to start acting like other countries, and sending them back where they came from, regardless of the situation.

JEEPERS.......your all heart you,,,,, aint ya :rolleyes:

Ramrod
09-09-2003, 22:12
I was GOING to say something about that.....but decided i was being baited :) :devsmoke: :D

Steve H
10-09-2003, 16:49
JEEPERS.......your all heart you,,,,, aint ya :rolleyes:

Maybe - But we only get one chance at life, and I'd prefer not to ruin it for myself. Especially when certain people dont even deserve our help.

aliferste
10-09-2003, 16:52
Maybe - But we only get one chance at life, and I'd prefer not to ruin it for myself. Especially when certain people dont even deserve our help.

Like who?

Defiant
10-09-2003, 19:06
Oh god leave him be. As far as the doors wide open he's happen. I think we all know that now

Steve H
10-09-2003, 19:08
Like who?

Does it matter who?

Originally posted by Devient
Oh god leave him be. As far as the doors wide open he's happen. I think we all know that now

Whaddya mean?

aliferste
10-09-2003, 20:32
Steve_NTL allow me::

DEFIANT TO ENGLISH TRANSLATION

#BEEP##BEEP##BEEP##BEEP##BEEP##BEEP##BEEP#

RESULT

Do not debate with aliferste. I believe he thinks that everyone should enter our fine country. I understand this now

Um actually , no I dont think that. I do think that the problems caused by Asylum Seekers pale into insignificance compared to REAL problems in the UK. Its all blown out of propertion by the tabloids ......If we are going to wage war on countries, you cant really moan when they then want to come and live here.

Defiant
10-09-2003, 20:35
Look sorry about the reply b4 but I've had a few PC problems but what I mean't to say was theirs no point in telling you anything. As far as your concerned the doors are wide open and your happy but millions are not and time will tell !!!

I take confort in history. When the British are pushed to far all hell breaks loose and we always win

Steve H
10-09-2003, 20:51
ah ok - thought the comment was addressed to me :shrug:

Anyway, I've gotta agree, The situations gone to far. I agree with you to a certain point aliferste, So far that there are other more significant Matters than the increasing flow of asylum seekers. What are these problems? The NHS? Crime? Education? As far as I can tell, the asylum seekers have had a detrimental effect on all of the above problems.

Defiant
10-09-2003, 20:53
The problems their putting on the British public seems to be put to one side however and thats the bigest problem. Even people that have come here to live from other countrys would no doubt agree with that. Well I know some anyway

aliferste
10-09-2003, 21:02
. What are these problems? The NHS? Crime? Education? As far as I can tell, the asylum seekers have had a detrimental effect on all of the above problems.

Asylum Seekers are more likely to be the victims of crime rather than the cause of crime.....fat people put more of a strain on the NHS than asylum seekers and i wish they taught more about politics in school and then we would see the reason why asylum seekers are such a big deal. In fact if they let some of the exellent teachers wgo are asylum seekers actually teach then we may not have an education problem.

aliferste
10-09-2003, 21:03
The problems their putting on the British public seems to be put to one side however and thats the bigest problem.

The issues that asylum brings is not put to one side, it is grabbed .....inflated and then put on the front pages....THAT is the biggest problem.

Defiant
10-09-2003, 21:11
The issues that asylum brings is not put to one side, it is grabbed .....inflated and then put on the front pages....THAT is the biggest problem.

Granted that may be what you see in the papers but I see it everyday well before the papers started mouthing off about it and many others too.

I was glad when they did pick it up

Steve H
10-09-2003, 21:27
Aliferste, maybe they do get over sensationalised in the papers, Maybe that shows you just HOW Strong people feel about it? My judgement isnt affected by the papers in any way. We live in a democractic country - The newspapers are there to promote public opinion, which is just what they're doing. I believe people opposed to this are the minority.

aliferste
10-09-2003, 21:33
Maybe that shows you just HOW Strong people feel about it?

Dont underestimate just how much the tabloids effect public opinion.
Remember the Jews were asylum seekers and they were disliked when they came here as well. In fact the tabloids at the time said the exact same things about them as they are saying about this new "asylum problem"
Who would look back now on history and say they did not need asylum.

Steve H
10-09-2003, 21:34
Asylum Seekers are more likely to be the victims of crime rather than the cause of crime.....fat people put more of a strain on the NHS than asylum seekers [snip]

They do? Proof Please?

Oh, and please take into account illegal asylum seekers as well.

Steve H
10-09-2003, 21:41
Remember the Jews were asylum seekers and they were disliked when they came here as well. In fact the tabloids at the time said the exact same things about them as they are saying about this new "asylum problem"
Who would look back now on history and say they did not need asylum.

I assume your talking about the jews coming after WW2? I dont think that situation is similar to the problem we've got now, in any way. Britain had control over parts of israel, and had a obligation to the jews, after they helped america out. Most of the jews resided in america, but some had to come to the UK. We were kinda obligated to take them, if thats the right words. (Something along them lines anyway), Anyway, back OT :)

aliferste
10-09-2003, 21:52
They do? Proof Please?

Oh, and please take into account illegal asylum seekers as well.

Heres something about crime
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3095552.stm

And lets face facts if more people lost weight and looked after themselves a little better , there would not be a waiting list for heart valve replacement and the like. Boozing , smoking etc all take there toll on the NHS around 1000 times more than asylum seekers.

aliferste
10-09-2003, 21:55
. We were kinda obligated to take them, if thats the right words. (Something along them lines anyway), Anyway, back OT :)

In the same way that we are obligated to take people just now....
The United Kingdoms obligation to refugees derives from the 1951 Geneva Convention which states:

†œa person who, owing to a well founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality and is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country †œ (Chapter 1, article 1)

aliferste
10-09-2003, 21:59
HEHE
Here is a rather amusing article which i will rip and put here for our amusement......i shall provide a link as well

Prospective British citizens may soon be required to sit a written test in order to prove both their general knowledge and their honourable intentions. But could you pass an exam designed to separate the best assimilators from the bogus asylum seekers? Try these sample questions:

Which sentence best sums up your reasons for wishing to come to Britain?

A) "I wish to live in a land free from spin."
B) "Someone at home told me that in Britain the streets are paved with Ferrero Rocher" C) "In my country there are no 24 hour petrol stations. How am I to pursue my dream of selling condoms to strangers in the dead of night?"
D) "I want to extend my debt load."

Answer: A

English: what's wrong with this notice?: "LOVELY BANANA'S £1 A LB"

A) This is too much money even for very lovely bananas
B) nothing, it's fine
C) the weight should be in kilograms as per EU directive
D) the apostrophe should not be there

Answer: B. Many would-be Brits miss this one by trying too hard. Nobody likes a pedant!

Complete the following: "Eleanor Rigby, ....'

A) "... last wife of Henry VIII"
B) "... picks up the rice in the church where the wedding has been."
C) "... wearing a face that she keeps in a jar by the door"
D) "... la la la la, la la la, la la la, la la laaaaa ..."

Answer: D

Which of the following is considered the most significant milestone in British history?

A) the execution of Charles I
B) Labour's 1997 election victory
C) when Del Boy fell through the bar
D) the formation of the NHS

Answer: any of these are fine, but you get two points for B

Who is Alastair Campbell?

A) he is the Prime Minister's press spokesman
B) he is the Prime Minister's former press spokesman
C) he used to be deputy Prime Minister or something
D) don't know, never heard of him

Answer D. Welcome to Britain. Help yourself to an A-level on the way in. Take two, they're easy.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/mediaguardian/story/0,7558,1037231,00.html

Steve H
10-09-2003, 22:00
lol - You actually believe half of the immigrants are being persecuted?

Some of them are, Which is exactly why we went to war with Iraq to defeat the persecutors, Which has been done in that area :)

aliferste
10-09-2003, 22:07
lol - You actually believe half of the immigrants are being persecuted?

Some of them are, Which is exactly why we went to war with Iraq to defeat the persecutors, Which has been done in that area :)

Um yes.......we have managed to turn a fairly harmless (yes harmless to us) into a hotpot of terrorism.
People are flocking to Iraq to have a shot at the Americans and the British, stirring up hate all over the area.........the people are living in even more fear and when they flea....they come here to the UK as we are the ones that made such a big fuss
about saving them from evil saddam.................we then kick them in the nuts and say they are clogging up our NHS , taking our unwated council houses.......and possibley considering sending there kids to school.

Oh and Osama is probably not happy now as well!!!!

Lets vote BNP "hurrah"

Steve H
10-09-2003, 22:08
Lets vote BNP "hurrah"

Thats the beauty of living in a democractic country ;)

Oh, Yeah, we did save them from saddam, But we didnt INVITE them to come TO OUR country.

aliferste
10-09-2003, 22:17

Oh, Yeah, we did save them from saddam, But we didnt INVITE them to come TO OUR country.

We invade there country, make a half assed attempt at getting it back together......fail miserably.......watch as it turns into anarchy and chaos......terroism now thrives in Iraq.....how dare theyconsider coming over to our country to try and get some refuge
Cheeky swines.............and then they want a check up at the doctors.......a concentration camp is to good for em i say!!!!Lets do it anyway!!!

homealone
10-09-2003, 23:01
you know what - as a debate this thread is brilliant. I'm not joking, people are (seemingly) making their points without getting stressed or abusive.

I have to say I agree with aliferste that we derive a responsibility if we intervene in an area of conflict.

I also agree that the influx of asylum seekers is taxing (literally!) our infrastructure.

All I can add is that I feel we should discriminate between immigrants & asylum seekers. They are not the same.

We now have a multi-cultural society, due to inviting West Indian immigration in the 50's, Idi Amin's expulsion of "Asians", etc.

We have to learn to deal with that, still, imo.

But put the illegal aspect to it & suddenly it changes - I still remember that container load of people who suffocated, trying to get a "better life" - someone got paid, up front, for that - get those people making money out of human misery & maybe it might improve?

Steve H
10-09-2003, 23:08
you know what - as a debate this thread is brilliant. I'm not joking, people are (seemingly) making their points without getting stressed or abusive.

Gotta agree with you, nothing like a healthy debate :)
I still remember that container load of people who suffocated, trying to get a "better life" - someone got paid, up front, for that - get those people making money out of human misery & maybe it might improve?

I also remember the immigrants who stowed themselves away in a lorry, without the driving knowing. He then faced criminal charges :shrug:

We invade there country, make a half assed attempt at getting it back together......fail miserably.......watch as it turns into anarchy and chaos......terroism now thrives in Iraq.....[B]

Exactly. The start of a new country? They need to establish themselves, Its just evolving into a new way of life. Yeah, I agree its gonna be troublesome (To say the least), and the Americans need to get there noses out... At the moment, The country is in a state of primitive communism, which will give way to feudalism once people establish there territorys. Yet, America/Britain NEED to keep tabs to stop another regieme taking over, and let the country continue evolving. And, Hopefully.. Another democractic soceity will form.

I'l stop throwing the Marxist Theory at you all now :p

homealone
10-09-2003, 23:47
originally posted by steve_NTL <snipped a bit> Exactly. The start of a new country? They need to establish themselves, Its just evolving into a new way of life. Yeah, I agree its gonna be troublesome (To say the least), and the Americans need to get there noses out... At the moment, The country is in a state of primitive communism, which will give way to feudalism once people establish there territorys. Yet, America/Britain NEED to keep tabs to stop another regime taking over, and let the country continue evolving. And, Hopefully.. Another democractic society will form.

interesting that you "threw away" a Marxist comment earlier - and mention democracy now??

you are right, imo, that the debate is whether the US & the UK should need to sort it out "for them", or whether they sort it out "themselves".

cynically, that is the point in the debate, that oil comes into the discussion?

Ramrod
10-09-2003, 23:53
Asylum Seekers are more likely to be the victims of crime rather than the cause of crime.....
(from that report you posted a link to)
But they will also say that the immigrants themselves are just as likely to be the victims.

Profits from people trafficking, for example, are equal to those in dealing in Class A drugs. So what you (and the report)are saying is that asylum seekers are victims and perpetrators of crime in equal measure. But the article says that they are the victims of the people traffickers (and thus victims of crime) and then when they get here they commit crimes. But they wanted to get here by using the traffickers so thats not really a crime done against them is it? Sounds like two wrongs not making a right!

homealone
11-09-2003, 00:05
So what you (and the report)are saying is that assylum seekers are victims and perpetrators of crime in equal measure. But the article says that they are the victims of the people traffickers (and thus victims of crime) and then when they get here they commit crimes. But they wanted to get here by using the traffickers so thats not really a crime done against them is it? Sounds like two wrongs not making a right!

I hear what you are saying, Ramrod, but anyone who commits to being locked up in a shipping container, with minimal air supply, for £x000.0 0, is desperate, (ok or stupid). - iirc one person survived the container disaster - I also believe the perpetrators were eventually brought to justice.

What can I say - you have become a valued member of our community!:smokin:

kronas
11-09-2003, 00:56
and were paying for that treatment. Surely it would be cheaper to get it here rather than outsource (unless it's to India of course)

no its not cheaper exchange rates play there part if your recieveing treatment in other countries most of the time its cheaper and you actually tend to get a better service

Defiant
11-09-2003, 11:09
We invade there country, make a half assed attempt at getting it back together......fail miserably.......watch as it turns into anarchy and chaos......terroism now thrives in Iraq.....how dare theyconsider coming over to our country to try and get some refuge
Cheeky swines.............and then they want a check up at the doctors.......a concentration camp is to good for em i say!!!!Lets do it anyway!!!

We invaded Saddams Iraq and not the Iraqi peoples Iraq. Their is a difference I think and no doubt to all their people that flocked over here.

Also we are spending millions trying to get it together over their and the US billions but from what I have seen and read it seems to be the extremist countrys and people that are going over their to cause problems. Hmm why is it all the extremist seem to be Muslim hmm

aliferste
11-09-2003, 11:34
Hmm why is it all the extremist seem to be Muslim hmm

One could say the IRA were/are extremists.

The Muslims have a point to make and history has shown us that terrorism works ..
Please remember that behind any act of terrorism there are people with a point. If you look at their point you will find that usually they have some valid arguments to make and a valid greviance.

Defiant
11-09-2003, 11:36
A little bit of a difference their wouldn't you say. They had a problem with Britian and blown things up yes.

The extremist's send prat's everywhere to blow themselve's up and anything western too at that. Strange really when you think that most of their people wont to live in the west.

Is it down to jealously that their home countrys are not upto much because of the way their being governed

Ramrod
11-09-2003, 12:11
Is it down to jealously that their home countrys are not upto much because of the way their being governed That's a big part of it imo.

Chris
11-09-2003, 12:42
Hmm why is it all the extremist seem to be Muslim hmm

To an extent, Islamic extremism is a monster created by Western (especially US) foreign policy towards the middle east. They feel threatened, exploited and ignored. Whether they are justified in feeling this way is a thread in its own right but the fact is, there's nothing like a common cause, especially one perceived to be a righteous cause, for bringing people together and encouraging them to take action.

Defiant
11-09-2003, 12:47
no I strongly disagree with that. Its their own goverments or dictators that have caused them to be like this. Their the ones that are making them live the ways they are. Yes they look at the west and see us as evil perhaps because we have a better way of living but this again is their own fault.

They hate the west yet wont to live in the west and when they come over here they pretend their still in the ruddy east lol

Niles Crane
11-09-2003, 12:49
You wouldnt believe the truth in that sentence. Its time to start acting like other countries, and sending them back where they came from, regardless of the situation.

You make such a pathetically heartless comment while at the same time commemerating Sept 11th in your signature. Oh the double standards. Did you have to take a course to achieve such levels of contradiction?

Defiant
11-09-2003, 13:01
You make such a pathetically heartless comment while at the same time commemerating Sept 11th in your signature. Oh the double standards. Did you have to take a course to achieve such levels of contradiction?

I think he's just being honest and saying what allot of the British public are now thinking. enoughs enough

ps wtf has this got to do with 911 :rolleyes:

aliferste
11-09-2003, 13:10

Oh deary deary me :rolleyes:

Niles Crane
11-09-2003, 13:11
I think he's just being honest and saying what allot of the British public are now thinking. enoughs enough

Firstly, dont complain about others not being able to speak English when you cant properly yourself. ;)

Secondly, it has everything to do with 911. So he cares enough to commemerate foreign victims of tragedies, but as long as they dont come near him. He cares enough to feel sad about disasters to foreigners, but doesnt care enough to let them seek refuge.

Or is it because the 911 victims were American? Is that why he commemerates? Because theres no chance of them seeking refuge in the UK? Cause i dont see him commemerating the thousands of other tragedies and atrocities around the world. Infact, i see him ignoring them and making it perfectly clear he has no desire to help in anyway.

The fact you have to ask why it has anything to do with 911 leads me to think you have a severe lack of intelligence. Which would explain your senseless political stance.

Thirdly, i couldnt care less whether he's being honest or not. Its irrelevant.

gazzae
11-09-2003, 13:12
There were a lot of British victims in 9/11

Defiant
11-09-2003, 13:14
Oh SORRY their's me thinking this was a "citizenship test" thread. Mods please change to 911 thread

Niles Crane
11-09-2003, 13:16
Oh SORRY their's me thinking this was a "citizenship test" thread. Mods please change to 911 thread

More hypocrisy. 90% of what you've said in this thread has jack all to do with citizenship tests.
Your attempt at diminishing my argument by claiming its irrelevant can only lead me to think; you know i'm right.

Defiant
11-09-2003, 13:18
More hypocrisy. 90% of what you've said in this thread has jack all to do with citizenship tests.

Ballocks

Your attempt at diminishing my argument by claiming its irrelevant can only lead me to think; you know i'm right.

I know your right lol what I think about you and other do gooders I couldn't post on this board

:mad:

Niles Crane
11-09-2003, 13:19
Originally posted by gazzae
There were a lot of British victims in 9/11

Indeed, you're right. Thats probably also another reason why he cares about 911, yet shows no sympathy for other atrocities.

Russ
11-09-2003, 13:39
Settle down people, there is another 9/11 thread going on if you wish to discuss that subject.

Defiant
11-09-2003, 14:12
Thanks for pointing that out to them Russ

aliferste
11-09-2003, 15:02
Settle down people, there is another 9/11 thread going on if you wish to discuss that subject.

Are you talking about the memory thread?

aliferste
11-09-2003, 15:04
It is important to remember that 911 is linked to the upsurge in asylum seekers and thus the citizenship. It is all interlinked.

Russ
11-09-2003, 15:20
But we're not going to talk about 9/11 in this thread.

Steve H
11-09-2003, 16:25

Thanks for taking the time to quote my comment, and come to the decision that its "pathetic, and heartless. I dont have a clue why on earth your bringing 911 into it. Where on earth have we gone into another country, and mercilessly murdered 1000's of people? We entered Iraq with the intention of liberating the people, Not deliberatly causing the end of 1000's of peoples lives. Anyway - like previousley pointed out, this is a Citzerzinship thread, not a 911 thread. We were discussing why england are letting countless asylums into the country, when its so obviousley against Britains best interests, and British people's feelings. Believe it or not, but we are in a democracy, and The british people should decide. I think giving forfeigners, namely musslems/indians the vote would tend to be a bit biased, due to obvious reasons. Something needs sorting..

aliferste
11-09-2003, 17:12
T. We were discussing why england are letting countless asylums into the country, when its so obviousley against Britains best interests, and British people's feelings. Believe it or not, but we are in a democracy, and The british people should decide. I think giving forfeigners, namely musslems/indians the vote would tend to be a bit biased, due to obvious reasons. Something needs sorting..

If we are going to debate about the "whys" of asylum seekers when we are talking about this citizenship test we should also bring other factors into it , and what happened on the 11 sep does have a part to play in the whole discussion.

When America invaded Nicaragua and killed thousands of people they were branded terrorists by the World Court ........It was an illegall war....America used an "unlawfull use of force" ...at least that is what the UN security council called it. So America were the terrorists.......do we have a Nicaragua day???.....UM no.......do we have a Nicaragua thread on this forum? No

And people wonder why other countries dont like the West........we dont even play fair with each other never mind other countries
:rolleyes:

Defiant
11-09-2003, 17:24
It is important to remember that 911 is linked to the upsurge in asylum seekers and thus the citizenship. It is all interlinked.

Now I know your on something :rolleyes:

aliferste
11-09-2003, 17:29

World Unstability

Steve H
11-09-2003, 17:36
Please dont ruin the thread with uneccesary comments, Thanks.

Defiant
11-09-2003, 17:37

Erm saying 911 was caused because of "asylum seekers "

aliferste
11-09-2003, 18:02

:shrug: was that me?

aliferste
11-09-2003, 18:06
Erm saying 911 was caused because of "asylum seekers "

What im saying is that it is all interlinked, 911/ asylum seekers...people flocking to other countries because of politics/ terrorism/ people wanting to GO to other countries for financial gain!

Its all linked, if you cant understand that.......jeepers where can i begin :shrug:

Steve H
11-09-2003, 18:06

:rolleyes:

Defiant
11-09-2003, 19:24
What im saying is that it is all interlinked, 911/ asylum seekers...people flocking to other countries because of politics/ terrorism/ people wanting to GO to other countries for financial gain!

Its all linked, if you cant understand that.......jeepers where can i begin :shrug:

911 was done by Muslim fanatic's most of which were from Saudi Arabia. You got a point about the asylum seekers though. Fecking tones over here hey !

Steve H
11-09-2003, 22:38
I removed the last 2 posts due to them being :notopic:, Lets get the thread back on topic guys.

aliferste
11-09-2003, 22:53
I removed the last 2 posts due to them being :notopic:, Lets get the thread back on topic guys.

BOO!!!!!!!!!

Dont tell me you didnt smile ;)