PDA

View Full Version : Cannot connect

xathras
04-02-2005, 16:33
Hiya people, the girlfriend is having trouble with her connection.

She connects to broadband via her set top box so I appologise if this is the wrong forum.

She is currently unable to connect to the Net, I spoke to her on the phone and did some little work throughts with her.

We did the ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

She gets an ip address of 10.12.30.185 allocated via dhcp. This is Class A but also internal Class A. So can anyone tell me whats going on.

I would of assumed that she would of got a DHCP timeout or even a 169.x.x.x address but obviously not the case. The IP address is allocated to her once the command is issued.

I got her to reset the set top box etc and still no joy. Ntl came round yesterday and said things are ok but they are obviously not. Can this be a PC problem or an NTL issue.

Wayne

Neil
04-02-2005, 16:35
Ntl came round yesterday and said things are ok

Why did you let them go without fixing the problem though? :confused:

TheBlueRaja
04-02-2005, 17:09
The 10.x.x.x is assigned from the Cable box, it is an address that is assigned before the computer has been registerd on the box with your username and password which you need to do before you can get on the net.

type start.ntl in Internet explorer URL bar and add the PC to the box following the on screen instructions. You will then need to release / renew and pick up another IP address (usually 80.x.x.x).

When you get an 80 address and not a 10 your ready to go.

xathras
04-02-2005, 17:26
Why did you let them go without fixing the problem though? :confused:

I wasn't there

xathras
04-02-2005, 18:37
the start.ntl does not work even though the ip is in the 10.x.x.x range

I tried doing a search on the forum for start.ntl and go the ip addresses as well but still no luck.

maverick
04-02-2005, 23:37
the start.ntl does not work even though the ip is in the 10.x.x.x range

I tried doing a search on the forum for start.ntl and go the ip addresses as well but still no luck.

Make sure you are not using a proxie.

xathras
04-02-2005, 23:57
hiya thanks for your help went round to see the girlfriend to night and sorted it. It seemed that the set top box had forgotten its settings for the pc attached.

I spoke to her and she told me the ntl guy said it was a pc problem and not the set top boxs problem, and told her to get her a new pc.

After closely inspecting her pc tonight i could clear ping the default gateway i.e. the STB, I checked her settings where ok she told me he tried changing the dsn settings (lol dns settings) changed it back to automatic rather than manual and then loaded internet explorer and issues the start.ntl command which worked.

Entered the details for her and reboot STB and PC all works great now. Thanks