PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl XXXIX

sir_drinks_alot
03-02-2005, 22:53
sit back relax and watch New England and Philadelphia fight it out. for the
Super Bowl :) both Paul McCartney and Alicia Keys.will perform the half
time show

you can watch the game on both sky and itv 1.

Mal
03-02-2005, 22:55
A good cure for insomnia ;)

Thank god for highlights :D

Musicman
03-02-2005, 23:03
;) Well I for one will be watching it. Though it will not be the same as 2001, when the Pats first one the Superbowl.

Then again I watched the AFC Championship game until 3am as a warm up!

Not sure which channel I will watch, or maybe I will just try switching between both of them and see which has the best pundits!
;)

sir_drinks_alot
03-02-2005, 23:08
Well I for one will be watching it. Though it will not be the same as 2001, when the Pats first one the Superbowl.

Then again I watched the AFC Championship game until 3am as a warm upQ
!

Not sure which channel I will watch, or maybe I will just try switching between both of them and see which has the best pundits!

oh sky have the best pundits.

gary_580
03-02-2005, 23:09
sit back relax and watch New England and Philadelphia fight it out. for the
Super Bowl :) both Paul McCartney and Alicia Keys.will perform the half
time show

you can watch the game on both sky and itv 1.

and NASN ;)

oh sky have the best pundits.

you didnt hear me!! i said NASN!!

sir_drinks_alot
03-02-2005, 23:15
and NASN ;)

you didnt hear me!! i said NASN!!

not for us Regular joes who don't pay £9,99.p er month unlass NASN is free
for SuperBowl weekend

gary_580
03-02-2005, 23:16
not for us Regular joes who don't pay £9,99.p er month unlass NASN is free
for SuperBowl weekend

its never free on NTL (well it was for the first 6 weeks they had it)

I know on sky you do often get free programmes

i just checked and its not even on NASN

sir_drinks_alot
03-02-2005, 23:21
am going for the Patriots Again this year.just on form alone thay should win
it.

Gareth
03-02-2005, 23:44
Superbowl time again, eh? Oh well, I've been meaning for ages to clean the drains, and defrost the freezer, and fix the dodgy wardrobe door, and wash the windows.... in fact I'll do anything to steer well clear of the superbowl.

ikthius
04-02-2005, 11:13
or sleep!

ik

gazzae
04-02-2005, 11:15
I can't wait. Been looking forward to it for two weeks now!

Go Pats Go

Chris
04-02-2005, 11:22
Can we expect Macca to 'accidentally' rip Ms Keys' clothes off during the interval then? :D

That would be the only mildly interesting spectacle at an otherwise dull, dull, dull excuse for a sporting event. Have the yanks never stopped to wonder why it has proven almost impossible to export their national game, no matter how hard they try?

SOSAGES
04-02-2005, 11:26
never did like the game seemed to be to much stopping for me

homealone
04-02-2005, 11:31
never did like the game seemed to be to much stopping for me

the game itself, when actually being played, is very dynamic - but, like you say, the action only happens in short bursts. I wonder how it would go down in the UK if a live sporting event was paused in order for the TV company to have a commercial break, for example.

gazzae
04-02-2005, 11:36
the game itself, when actually being played, is very dynamic - but, like you say, the action only happens in short bursts. I wonder how it would go down in the UK if a live sporting event was paused in order for the TV company to have a commercial break, for example.

The game isn't "paused" so to speak. The commercials only happen during the natural breaks in the game I.E when a time out is called, or after a drive is completed i.e a team scores, or a turnover when possession is passed to the other team.

Haven't heard many complaints about cricket having ads

ZrByte
04-02-2005, 11:39
Isnt american football just a watered down version of rugby with more padding anyway?

gazzae
04-02-2005, 11:42
Isnt american football just a watered down version of rugby with more padding anyway?

It has its roots in Rugby. As for the padding, its required, as in american football there are legal hits that would get you sent off the rugby field.

homealone
04-02-2005, 11:46
The game isn't "paused" so to speak. The commercials only happen during the natural breaks in the game I.E when a time out is called, or after a drive is completed i.e a team scores, or a turnover when possession is passed to the other team.

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't collusion between the coaches & the TV company as to when the time outs are called - and even with natural breaks in play, they don't start again until the commercial has finished.

Like I said, the game itself can be very dynamic, it is the constant pauses I, personally, find irritating - just my opinion, of course ;)

gazzae
04-02-2005, 11:50
I'd be very surprised if there wasn't collusion between the coaches & the TV company as to when the time outs are called - and even with natural breaks in play, they don't start again until the commercial has finished.

I wouldn't think so. Timeouts are very important to a coach. they only have 3 per half. They don't use them needlessly as they have to have a timeout to be able to challange a play (video ref - if they lose a challange then they lose a timeout.), they are very important in the final two minutes of a half in order to stop the clock to give you time to score.

homealone
04-02-2005, 12:00
I wouldn't think so. Timeouts are very important to a coach. they only have 3 per half. They don't use them needlessly as they have to have a timeout to be able to challange a play (video ref - if they lose a challange then they lose a timeout.), they are very important in the final two minutes of a half in order to stop the clock to give you time to score.

looks like I am being over cynical, then ;) - and I didn't know that about the video ref - thanks :)

Graham
04-02-2005, 14:20
looks like I am being over cynical, then ;)

No, you're not, although it's not from the coaches.

If you watch the main referee in a big game, he will make the "Time out" sign (waving crossed arms above his head) and then pat his head.

This means it's an "administrative" time out, ie one arranged with the media companies so they can put their commercial breaks in!

homealone
04-02-2005, 14:26

If you watch the main referee in a big game, he will make the "Time out" sign (waving crossed arms above his head) and then pat his head.

This means it's an "administrative" time out, ie one arranged with the media companies so they can put their commercial breaks in!

thanks for that :tu:

gazzae
04-02-2005, 14:44

The waving arms signal is to let the time keeper know to stop the clock i.e if a player steps out of bounds or incompleted pass etc.

Yes the refs can call time outs but these are only used if they need to review the position of the ball or if a player is injured.

Refs do not call timeouts for ad breaks - they take place in the natural breaks of the game not during a drive (unless a time out is called).

Why would they even need this?? There is enough "natural" breaks in the games for ads as it is.

Ok - I just asked a friend of mine on MSN, who lives in North America, about this.

In the NFL there are whats know as TV timeouts. A commercial break is called during a break in play and as the commercial breaks may last 3 minutes but the game is ready to be restarted earlier a TV timeout is called.

So as I was saying the coaches or refs have nothing to do with the timing of ad breaks its done by the TV stations in the natural breaks of play, but when they go to commercials a TV timeout is called and they wait till the TV station returns.

Graham
04-02-2005, 14:47
Refs do not call timeouts for ad breaks - they take place in the natural breaks of the game not during a drive (unless a time out is called).

[...]

In the NFL there are whats know as TV timeouts. A commercial break is called during a break in play and as the commercial breaks may last 3 minutes but the game is ready to be restarted earlier a TV timeout is called.

I think that was my point :)

homealone
04-02-2005, 14:47
The waving arms signal is to let the time keeper know to stop the clock i.e if a player steps out of bounds or incompleted pass etc.

Yes the refs can call time outs but these are only used if they need to review the position of the ball or if a player is injured.

Why would they even need this?? There is enough "natural" breaks in the games for ads as it is.

Ok - I just asked a friend of mine on MSN, who lives in North America, about this.

So as I was saying the coaches or refs have nothing to do with the timing of ad breaks its done by the TV stations in the natural breaks of play, but when they go to commercials a TV timeout is called and they wait till the TV station returns.

that sounds right - thanks for taking the trouble to clarify it :)

gazzae
04-02-2005, 14:58
that sounds right - thanks for taking the trouble to clarify it :)

Not a problem.

When I was younger I would never have watched an american football game, but about 5 years ago I was in canada during playoff time and watched the games with people who understood the rules and explained what was happening to me. I've been hooked ever since!

If you don't like american football then you don't like it, but if you've never watched a game before, give the superbowl a shot on sunday night, you never know you might be surprised.

I think that was my point :)

Sorry if I misread you, I thought you mean the refs called a TV timeout during play rather that calling it at a suitable break in play. :)

sir_drinks_alot
06-02-2005, 15:12
it's here SuperBowl :D oh can't wait for the game to start.(only 10 hours to go)
and with Paul McCartney doing the half time show what can go wrong.

note
you are better off watching the game on sky sports as there team actually.know the NFL but if you watch on itv all you will get. is Gabby Logan talking like a parrot
for 3 hours.

sherer
07-02-2005, 21:28
was thinking about this over the weekend.. during superbowl weekend we get items about this on ITV and BBC news.. on their web sites.. ITV and Sky show it and it gets repeated today as well.

What do the US do during FA Cup Final Weekend ?

Do they even show it. If they want other countries to watch their sports shouldn't they take an interest in the sports of other nations.

punky
08-02-2005, 00:15
was thinking about this over the weekend.. during superbowl weekend we get items about this on ITV and BBC news.. on their web sites.. ITV and Sky show it and it gets repeated today as well.

What do the US do during FA Cup Final Weekend ?

Do they even show it. If they want other countries to watch their sports shouldn't they take an interest in the sports of other nations.

Virtually all Sky Sports games are shown on Fox Sports World. Sometimes live, sometimes with a delay (sometimes as much as a week)... They show some of the BBC1 ones too... With the PremiershipPlus, sometimes they show it live for free, sometimes it is PPV. Somestimes some of the free matches on SkySports are shown PPV

What did everyone think of the game? I thought it was OK, but some of my yank friends thought it wen't that good.

sherer
08-02-2005, 10:19
Virtually all Sky Sports games are shown on Fox Sports World. Sometimes live, sometimes with a delay (sometimes as much as a week)... They show some of the BBC1 ones too... With the PremiershipPlus, sometimes they show it live for free, sometimes it is PPV. Somestimes some of the free matches on SkySports are shown PPV

Ok so they show some of the games but does it get reported on any of the national news channels like we get with Superbowl being mentioned on BBC and ITV

punky
08-02-2005, 10:39
Ok so they show some of the games but does it get reported on any of the national news channels like we get with Superbowl being mentioned on BBC and ITV

Not really, but there isn't the demand. It is emerging over there very slowly (much like american football is over here). Plus, it is all about perception. The fact that against american football, soccer seems rather feminine, not to mention the fact it is the limey's national game, which doesn't help it's commercial appeal. It is popular among kids, particular among girls, where american football isn't an option them, due to their parents/themselves. In like 20 years, soccer would probably be pretty popular I think as kids grow older and become a buying power. There is already an american soccer leage "Major Leage Soccer"