PDA

View Full Version : 18Mb ADSL!!

Neil
03-02-2005, 18:50
BT Wholesale is promising faster and cheaper broadband in a move designed to back its commitment to greater competition and flexibility in the UK's telecoms sector.

It's looking to run ADSL trials up to 8Mb and run pilots for ADSL2+ technology to support higher-speed services of up to 18Mb. From April, BT's also intends to cut the cost of its end-to-end wholesale IPStream broadband product.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/03/bt_llu_broadband/ :tu:

Nemesis
03-02-2005, 18:56
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2074
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2075

paulyoung666
03-02-2005, 18:56
:disturbd: :disturbd: , i wonder how much that will be / month :erm: :D :D

Florence
03-02-2005, 18:57
The price will not matter if they have the engineers to do any repairs of faults :D

slowcoach
03-02-2005, 21:16
"up to", "from", "starting at", the most (ab)used phrases in advertising today.

18Mb shouldn't put too much strain on the system as many users will be stuck at 512Kb no matter what speeds are on offer.
:banghead:

Ignition
03-02-2005, 22:05
Actually the majority of people in the UK can receive at least 2Mbit from BT...

Bifta
03-02-2005, 23:02
And me only 50 yards from the exchange using a brand spankingly new telephone line, let's hope we're one of the first one's that are upgraded.

Gareth
04-02-2005, 00:35
Actually the majority of people in the UK can receive at least 2Mbit from BT... Correct, and ADSL2 & ADSL2+ were not only designed to improve the download rate but also the reach... I seem to remember a figure of RE-ADSL2 extending a 768Kbps downstream service by 3,000 feet - but I have been drinking tonigh, so don't quote me on those figures ;)

Matthew
04-02-2005, 01:02
I want it!

Ignition
04-02-2005, 14:47
RE-ADSL is Reach DSL which isn't ADSL2+ but a proprietary standard for increasing ADSL range. ADSL2 adds no reach to speak of to DSL services, ADSL2+ *can* add some reach but it depends on the power levels that are being permitted, and it's unlikely that the power levels will be permitted to go high enough to add any significant reach.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news, but still if you can get 2Mbit right now you can probably receive 4Mbit or maybe higher on ADSL 1.

Checking my line stats:

Downstream Speed: 2272 kbps

relative capacity occupation: 25% << 2272kbps is Using 25% of maximum possible capacity
noise margin downstream: 32.5 db << 32.5dB SNR margin over what is required for 2272kbps
output power upstream: 12.0 dbm << DSLAM at exchange is sending at 12.0 dBmV
attenuation downstream: 24.0 db << line loss downstream of 24 dB

According to a very rough guesstimate my telephone line is about 1.4KM long, and according to the rather excellent stats from my router is capable of 9088kbps downstream.

Upstream Speed: 288 kbps

relative capacity occupation: 30% <<< Using 30% of max
noise margin upstream: 31.0 db <<< This is maximum possible, exchange doesn't record more than 31dB.
output power downstream: 20.0 dbm <<< Router is sending 20dBmV down the line
attenuation upstream: 16.0 db <<< Exchange is seeing a loss of 16dB (lower due to lower frequencies)

My approximately 1.4KM long line is capable of 9088kbps downstream, and 960kbps upstream.

You don't have to live next door to the exchange to get more than 2Mbits ;)

Chris
04-02-2005, 15:09
No matter how fast ADSL gets, BT will still be insisting my exchange is too small and rural to be worth upgrading ... it's a disgrace. I wonder if there was a time when the GPO tried to claim there were parts of the UK too remote to install telephone exchanges? :rolleyes:

Still, I can only hope that when they are finally forced to install ADSL in our exchange, they decide to go straight for this new standard. I can see the phone line all the way from the exchange to our house as it's on poles all the way, and we are about 4 miles away. Anyone know what that does to the speed we can get?

Ignition
04-02-2005, 15:15
Brings into question whether you'll be able to get it or not at all I'm afraid.

Which exchange is it please? Or if you like PM me your post code + I'll find out.

Matthew
04-02-2005, 15:44
No matter how fast ADSL gets, BT will still be insisting my exchange is too small and rural to be worth upgrading ... it's a disgrace. I wonder if there was a time when the GPO tried to claim there were parts of the UK too remote to install telephone exchanges? :rolleyes:

Still, I can only hope that when they are finally forced to install ADSL in our exchange, they decide to go straight for this new standard. I can see the phone line all the way from the exchange to our house as it's on poles all the way, and we are about 4 miles away. Anyone know what that does to the speed we can get?

We have not even got it yet. 18th May is when we finally get it. Cannot wait. Next thing after that is to get this 18mb if they will allow our exchange to have it.

Chris
04-02-2005, 15:51
Well, Ignition has done some digging for me and it looks like we would only get 512k, and that's only if BT ever upgrade our exchange (no date yet). :(

Ignition
04-02-2005, 16:20
Sadly that 512k is a bit of a long shot, even 256k is optimistic rather than probable :(

Here's the website I used for those who want to check: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

My stats come from being at most about 1.4KM of cable away from exchange (add about 25% to your straight line distance for approximate cable route length - will vary).

If you're within 2KM of cable, 8Mbit is all yours most likely :D

Out to 3KM you should be good for about 5-6Mbit, 4KM is good for 3-4Mbit, these are guesstimates and things vary dramatically, so don't blame me if in a few months your 3.5KM line that I suggested could be good for 4Mbit will only do for 2 :p:

slowcoach
04-02-2005, 20:31
Actually the majority of people in the UK can receive at least 2Mbit from BT...
Using the checker I got

Your exchange is enabled for ADSL!
There is capacity at your exchange for further ADSL connections.

Your location should be able to receive service of up to 2Mbps
If possible, check with a phone number as these are far more accurate.

You are approximately 1.93km from the exchange (straight line distance).

Cable to house was replaced prior to the exchange being upgraded to ADSL and yet it will still only carry 512kb max. There must be many homes at a greater distance, or with just a bad line, which makes ADSL a bit of a lottery.