PDA

View Full Version : auto electrician wanted !!!!!!!!!

paulyoung666
03-02-2005, 17:33
to try and help me sort out my bloody car before i push it into the river !!!!! , i took the kids to school this morning and after dropping them off my car engine just died !!!!!!!! , no warning at all , so when i got it home i started having a look at it , there is fuel to the injector's , the spark plugs look ok albeit with what i consider to be a weak spark from them !!!! , and i can smell petrol on the plugs which suggests the injectors are ok , the AA were a complete waste of time , all he did was remove some connectors , spray them and say he couldnt find anything , that included the relay that kicks the electric radiator fan in :disturbd: , so i am getting my begging bowl out in the hope that there is a closet auto electrician that frequents this site in the teesside area that could help me out :D :D :D

punky
03-02-2005, 17:37
So when you try and start it, it turns over but doesn't bite?

Dave Stones
03-02-2005, 17:49
is the battery dead/dry? :erm:

does it turn over when you try to start the car?

any warning lights?

paulyoung666
03-02-2005, 17:54
So when you try and start it, it turns over but doesn't bite?

yep thats right :disturbd: , like i said there is a spark there but it is weak :( , fuel is getting through so that appears not to be a problem :tu:

@ dave stones , stick to your crayoning ;) :D :D :D

punky
03-02-2005, 18:39
If you can hear it trying to bite and it is almost biting, but not quite, then it would mean something is decifient.

You said the spark plugs are weak. For what they are normally, it might be worth getting a few new ones, at least it takes one problem out of the equation.

You can smell the petrol on there, but it might not be enough fuel getting through. You might wanna check the injectors (fuel injected) or the distributor (carburetted cars). If you are lacking air, it should fire, but if it is really air starved it might not, so you might want to check the carbuettor or air filter.

That's about all I can think of ATM. My brother knows a bit more about cars if you get desperate, but hopefully you'll find a mechanic on here. HTH anyway,

paulyoung666
03-02-2005, 18:57
If you can hear it trying to bite and it is almost biting, but not quite, then it would mean something is decifient.

You said the spark plugs are weak. For what they are normally, it might be worth getting a few new ones, at least it takes one problem out of the equation.

You can smell the petrol on there, but it might not be enough fuel getting through. You might wanna check the injectors (fuel injected) or the distributor (carburetted cars). If you are lacking air, it should fire, but if it is really air starved it might not, so you might want to check the carbuettor or air filter.

That's about all I can think of ATM. My brother knows a bit more about cars if you get desperate, but hopefully you'll find a mechanic on here. HTH anyway,

yep it points to the spark plugs being deficient , i suppose a new set would rule them out , thanks for the help so far :tu: , its a rover 216 btw :erm: :D :D

Dave Stones
03-02-2005, 19:13
@ dave stones , stick to your crayoning ;) :D :D :D

always best to start with the basics eddie ;)

paulyoung666
03-02-2005, 19:14
always best to start with the basics eddie ;)

true very true , check your reps ;) :D :D :D

Dave Stones
03-02-2005, 19:18
true very true , check your reps ;) :D :D :D

and if i dont? :p:

maybe you should demand a refund from the AA or something, arent they supposed to fix everything at the side of the road or sort it out at a garage?:td:

paulyoung666
03-02-2005, 19:26
and if i dont? :p:

maybe you should demand a refund from the AA or something, arent they supposed to fix everything at the side of the road or sort it out at a garage?:td:

they offered to take it to a garage for me , the only problem was i dont know any garage locally that is guaranteed not to rip my eyeballs out :disturbd: :Yikes: :disturbd: :D :D :D :D

iadom
03-02-2005, 19:41
What engine does it have. According to this site http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index.htm Several different engines were fitted. By the sound of it the Honda engine is OK but the Rover engine as used in the Maestro/Montego did suffer problems.
It is often worth replacing the HT leads as well as the plugs. Also check for cracks in the Dizzy cap, if it has one.

paulyoung666
03-02-2005, 19:54
What engine does it have. According to this site http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index.htm Several different engines were fitted. By the sound of it the Honda engine is OK but the Rover engine as used in the Maestro/Montego did suffer problems.
It is often worth replacing the HT leads as well as the plugs. Also check for cracks in the Dizzy cap, if it has one.

it is the rover 'k' series engine , you are leaning towards what i am thinking , something daft and silly that is degrading the spark performance rather than killing it completely :tu: :)

gary_580
03-02-2005, 20:00
if your going to replace that type of stuff. Go to Partco rather than Halfords and you should save yourself a few quid

paulyoung666
03-02-2005, 20:02
if your going to replace that type of stuff. Go to Partco rather than Halfords and you should save yourself a few quid

halfords :Yikes: , rip your eyeball out merchants , fortunately we have an independant place nearby that is spot on :tu: :)

paulyoung666
04-02-2005, 16:43
well the electrician turned up and he reckons it it the coil and said about £80 for one :disturbd: , been on to a lad at work and he said he has a spare one i can have so hopefully it will get sorted tomorrow :)

paulyoung666
07-02-2005, 21:07
and it was the ignition coil , makes me wonder why the 'aa' bloke couldnt have done something about it :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Escapee
07-02-2005, 21:27
and it was the ignition coil , makes me wonder why the 'aa' bloke couldnt have done something about it :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I had a problem a couple of years ago with one of my Reliant engined pick-ups. I had completely rebuilt the damn thing and returned it to the road, when it got hot it would stop running and would have to be left for 5 minutes to cool down, it would then start and run for a few more miles.

I couldn't find ther fault until one day I drove it with my girlfriend following until it gave up the ghost. When I rebuilt it I fitted a new dizzy cap, coil, rotor arm, points, condenser, pliugs and leads. I substituted another coil, still wouldn't work, another condensor, still wouldnt work. I even changed the distributer for another one I had, still wouldn't bl**dy work.

Then I realised, I was still using the same brand new lucas rotor arm. I changed it for and old one and it ran perfect!

I took it into work to look under the microscope, and could see a hairline crack from the rivet that holds the metal bit that contacts the dizzy cap, it was cracked through and the spark was going straight down through to the dizzy spindle via the little spring clip that makes it a good fit on the shaft.

That was a swine to find!

I still have it somewhere, with the intention of putting it on a mates car sometime :D

Paulie
07-02-2005, 22:20
For future reference try these people out http://www.moto-build.com/mainsite/rover.html
I used to have a MG Maestro (yeah its embarrasing) but i had a problem with the engine that a local garage just couldn`t sort out. Phoned these guys, took the car down there, and 10 min`s later all fixed. Cost me £20. They know their stuff.

homealone
07-02-2005, 22:43

even if he couldn't fix it, shirley (sic) he could have told you that was the problem?

- although, thinking about it, he will only be trained to do what his laptop tells him, after he plugs into the engine management system, if there isn't one (e.g. any car with a carburettor ) - he will be 'at a loss' ;)