PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Mac Address locked out

philtrick
03-02-2005, 14:41
I have a NTL Home 200 cable modem with the PS2 on-line service. I originally ordered the PS2 service so that I could receive a 2nd public IP address not for a PS2 but for a laptop. The laptop is my office PC which I use at home to VPN into the office (VPN requires a public IP). My home computer & laptop are connected to the cable modem via a US Robotics Access Point (configured as a bridge).

Problem- All was ok with this config for a few months, then I couldn't get the second PC to aquire an address. If I powered off the cable modem then back on it only seemed to accept 1 mac address for registration. Subjectively this problem occured at the same time as the last speed upgrade disruption. The only way I get this to work at the moment is power the modem off for 10 mins then back on- It's now getting a real chore :erm: --NTL tech support where, poor- first guy said that I should use USB and ethernet for it to work. When I said I'd been using ethenet for 6 months on both there was no reply.

Question- I tried to look at the cable modem diag and see which 2 mac addresses are registered, but you can't see that info. Anyone have any ideas about this???
Ideally I want 2+ static IP's addresses but NTL can't deliver even 1 :td:

Phil

Paul K
03-02-2005, 15:13
Think a phone call to CS is the easiest way to sort it out unless one of our hepfull NTL employees on the forum can help out.

nffc
03-02-2005, 15:14
Get a router.

paulyoung666
03-02-2005, 15:21
Get a router.

but it used to work , so therefore it should work now , i am with paul , ring c.s. or hang around for one of the helpful ntl people who hang around these parts :) , :welcome: to the site btw :)

Neil
03-02-2005, 15:22
<Snip>

1) :welcome: to the site. :)

2) You need to ring ntl (sorry) to get this resolved-make sure you get the name & number of the person you speak to.

3) The answer is to ditch the 2 x I.P service & get a router, that will allow you to add more devices to the network should the need arise & for less money than you are paying for 1 additional I.P. :tu:

HTH.

smigs
03-02-2005, 15:23
can someone tell me how to find my mac address out. everytime i look i keep findin the ip for my router.

nffc
03-02-2005, 15:24
Get a router.

but it used to work , so therefore it should work now , i am with paul , ring c.s. or hang around for one of the helpful ntl people who hang around these parts :) , :welcome: to the site btw :)

It should do- but if there was a router then you could use any combination behind the CM and ntl wouldn't know- plus then you'd not have to pay extra for 2 IPs, or a PS2 service, etc etc.

Wouldn't help unlocking the MAC but then that would have to be done via the CS anyway.

can someone tell me how to find my mac address out. everytime i look i keep findin the ip for my router.

For your PC?

Start-run, type cmd, press Ok
enter "ipconfig /all"

"Physical Address" is the one. [12 digits, separated into 2s, 0-9 and A-H]

Neil
03-02-2005, 15:25

1) Open a Command Prompt-Start>Run>Command.

2) Type "ipconfig /all" (without the ")-& note the space after ipconfig)

3) Make a note of the physical address.

HTH.

philtrick
03-02-2005, 15:33
Thanks for all who suggested getting a router- I would try that but I know for a fact that it will not work with the VPN software (I setup the head office end as well) even with port forwarding. + I want to use a mixture of network software on my laptop which will not work with NAT from a router.

I did at one point try to contact NTL Business to see if i could get static IP's with them- they never got back, and I presume it's £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£ more then domestic broadband.

+ can anyone give me a good (!) support tel number. The person on the PS2 help desk normally just ask you to reset the modem........

daxx
03-02-2005, 18:17
Thanks for all who suggested getting a router- I would try that but I know for a fact that it will not work with the VPN software (I setup the head office end as well) even with port forwarding. + I want to use a mixture of network software on my laptop which will not work with NAT from a router. Put the machine in the DMZ when using it for work, no forwarding on then just all packets passed from the WAN to that IP placed in the DMZ

Chris W
03-02-2005, 18:57
philtrick if you PM me a public ip address that you have had recently, or the mac address of your modem i'll have a look at this when i get a minute spare

/awaits confirmation from the team that i am staff :)

Nemesis
03-02-2005, 19:19
philtrick if you PM me a public ip address that you have had recently, or the mac address of your modem i'll have a look at this when i get a minute spare

/awaits confirmation from the team that i am staff :)

Yes the monkey is staff :D

philtrick
03-02-2005, 19:59
I have sent the info to MonkeyBreath.
As regards the DMZ idea- good (but) it shouldn't need to do it with the config i have.
I didn't mention in my original post that I have the office VPN client on my home PC as well. I use it occasional and I don't want more hassle configing DMZ's each time I use the VPN.
I want- 2 home computers connected with public IP's via wireless to a broadband router.
I was very tempted recently to throw the towel in with NTL broadband- but I need to get a BT line in for ADSL. At least with ADSL I can get an ISP to give me static IP's (ideal). The upcoming speed upgrades have changed my mind :)