PDA

View Full Version : Ice Skating

Halcyon
02-02-2005, 21:57
Well today I decided to go Ice Skating in Nottigham.
I hadnt been in a while and took a friend with me and it was coool.
Why we dont have our own Ice Rink here in Leicester is very annoying.
But anyway....
I was wondering if anyone else on the forum skates and if they are good at it ?
I love it and find its good exercise. Plus its a whole lot of fun.

So, Have you ever tried it ? Is it something you like doing ?

Chimaera
02-02-2005, 22:07
I love ice skating - I used to take my 2 younger sisters to Queensway rink when we were young! Not that you'd allow it nowadays.... from one side of London to the other on a Sunday afternoon on the District line........ happy days!
Anyway, we have a rink here in Romford which mysteriously caught fire last year - I think it's up and running again now. I've not been for a couple of years, never had formal lessons but I went skating a few times with a mate who had taken up ice dancing as a hobby - I can now skate round corners properly, crossing one foot over the other without going A over T!! Perhaps we should have a forum skate?

Dave Stones
02-02-2005, 22:22
ice skating is amazing. dont go all that often though, the last time i went was to ice sheffield, the big new ish ice rink outside of sheffield byt he don valley stadium.

funnily enough, the ice rink here in birmingham city centre burnt down too.... how the hell does an ice rink set on fire? heh. so the nearest one now is in solihull or coventry, both a long trek away.

im fairly good, used to rollerblade quite a bit and they are practically the same once you get used to the ice again :)

Earl of Bronze
02-02-2005, 22:27
ice skating is amazing. dont go all that often though, the last time i went was to ice sheffield, the big new ish ice rink outside of sheffield byt he don valley stadium.

funnily enough, the ice rink here in birmingham city centre burnt down too.... how the hell does an ice rink set on fire? heh. so the nearest one now is in solihull or coventry, both a long trek away.

im fairly good, used to rollerblade quite a bit and they are practically the same once you get used to the ice again :)

I havent been in years, and no idea why to be honest. :confused:

Last time I was on ice was a training session for an amature ice hockey team, so that would make it about 16 or 17 years ago. :Yikes:

Halcyon
02-02-2005, 23:06
I can skate backwards but have been having a few problems in that I dont think Im doing my steps properly. Its hard to explain. If anyone has any tips in backwards skating, it would be cool to hear them as I'm sure Im not doing it properly.

The Ice Rink in Nottigham is quite good. There are two, one for public skating and one for competitions too.

Do you own your own Skates ?
I've been looking online for good shops but can't find much.

As for a forum skate.....briliant idea.

Tezcatlipoca
02-02-2005, 23:11
Well today I decided to go Ice Skating in Nottigham.
I hadnt been in a while and took a friend with me and it was coool.
Why we dont have our own Ice Rink here in Leicester is very annoying.
But anyway....
I was wondering if anyone else on the forum skates and if they are good at it ?
I love it and find its good exercise. Plus its a whole lot of fun.

So, Have you ever tried it ? Is it something you like doing ?

I've done it before, only a couple of times though.

First time was at some rink in London. Not a nice area, but good fun.

Second time was brilliant. Open air ice skating in the "Tivoli" park in Copenhagen. Great place.

Not great at it, but not bad. Can't do any of that fancy backwards skating stuff, but I managed to go quite fast & never fell over.

danielf
02-02-2005, 23:20
I'm fairly good at it. I used to skate up to 3 times a week (winters only) when I lived in Holland. On a proper Olympic size track (400 meters) as well :cool:

Mr_love_monkey
02-02-2005, 23:26
Anyway, we have a rink here in Romford which mysteriously caught fire last year - I think it's up and running again now.

Oh yeah. I remember the rink there not far from the homebase - when I was about 12 or so, a group of us from school developed an interest in ice skating - so we were there most saturdays, usually all day.... gawd, haven't been for years now...

Halcyon
02-02-2005, 23:33
An open air Ice Rink must be briliant.
I once met someone who had a lake at the bottom of their garden and she would Ice Skate on that. Ofcourse you have to check its safe, but it must have been great to skate in the middle of the countryside.

We had a portable Ice Rink come to town one Christmas. It was propper ice, but much smaller than a full oval rink. It was in the open air and shoppers would go round it as shops were on either side.
One morning I skipped two classes to go there and had the whole morning on the rink with no one else on it.
It was quality. A whole skating rink just for me.

MegaDavid
17-02-2005, 09:25
Hi, I'm new and ranting.

I've really caught the ice skating bug. I'm still not very good but I just love it!

I'm sticking with hire skates at the moment, which means taking pot luck with blade-sharpness. Best place for this: Alexandra Palace. Worst: Bracknell; having had to return TWO pairs of hire skates, asked for a refund, been refused due to "company policy", written to the Complex Manager and still not received a refund, I'm kinda feeling motivated towards finding as many ice skating forums as I can.

Chimaera
17-02-2005, 19:25
Oh yeah. I remember the rink there not far from the homebase - when I was about 12 or so, a group of us from school developed an interest in ice skating - so we were there most saturdays, usually all day.... gawd, haven't been for years now...
Well come on down! We could always arrange a forum meet there.... ;)

Chris W
17-02-2005, 20:27
I used to play ice hockey for Stretham Scorpions under 16s and then Invicta Dynamos....

I also used to figure skate and dance skate with my ex girl friend :)

Oh and i used to work as a "marshall" at Gillingham rink too.

20 hours in the ice ring most weeks plus time that i was working there!!

Its really good fun though and great exercise... just a shame that Cardiff ice hockey club membership is £520 a year :(

Chimaera
17-02-2005, 20:29
I used to play ice hockey for Stretham Scorpions under 16s and then Invicta Dynamos....

I also used to figure skate and dance skate with my ex girl friend :)

Oh and i used to work as a "marshall" at Gillingham rink too.

20 hours in the ice ring most weeks plus time that i was working there!!

Its really good fun though and great exercise... just a shame that Cardiff ice hockey club membership is £520 a year :(
Ooooohhh I'm DEAD impressed!! Teach me, teach me, teach me!!!! I want to ice dance like Torvill and Dean!! :D

Chris W
17-02-2005, 20:40
I can skate backwards but have been having a few problems in that I dont think Im doing my steps properly. Its hard to explain. If anyone has any tips in backwards skating, it would be cool to hear them as I'm sure Im not doing it properly.

urm.. hard to explain without demonstrating really...

are you making a kind of figure of 8 motion with your feet, or moving one off the ice and then the other??

The Ice Rink in Nottigham is quite good. There are two, one for public skating and one for competitions too.

Yup it is pretty good... Isle of Wight is the nicest one i've been to though

Do you own your own Skates ?
I've been looking online for good shops but can't find much.

As for a forum skate.....briliant idea.

Yep, i have a pair of hockey skates and a pair of figure skates
The hockey ones are Nike Air Zooms, and the figures are custom made...

your best bet is to check out the skate shop at your local rink, for a beginner i would recommend something like Bauer Impact 40s , which i think are only about £30.

The easiest place to find a range of skates is Ebay... but DON'T buy from there!!

Nike's website is here: http://www.nike.com/canada/nikehockey/english/main.html - good quality skates at the high end, haven't looked at their low end range much.
Bauer: www.bauer.com - personally i find these uncomfy, but it is personal preference!!
CCM: (quite expensive for what they are) http://en.ccmsports.com/index.php

HTH

Ooooohhh I'm DEAD impressed!! Teach me, teach me, teach me!!!! I want to ice dance like Torvill and Dean!! :D

ok! :D

I used to pay my instructor £10 for 15minutes :p: hint hint ;)

Chimaera
17-02-2005, 20:43
ok! :D

I used to pay my instructor £10 for 15minutes :p: hint hint ;)
Yeah - but I'm ancient - think it would take more than 15 minutes to get me to do anything good on the ice! :D

Chris W
17-02-2005, 20:46
Yeah - but I'm ancient - think it would take more than 15 minutes to get me to do anything good on the ice! :D

Where abouts do you live btw??

I am thinking a forum meet at an ice rink is a good plan.... those who want to stake can, and most ice rinks have a bar for those who don't want to ;)

Ramrod
17-02-2005, 21:00
I love ice skating - I used to take my 2 younger sisters to Queensway rink when we were young! that was my local rink when I was a teenager............lived 2 streets away :D

Chimaera
17-02-2005, 21:30
Where abouts do you live btw??

I am thinking a forum meet at an ice rink is a good plan.... those who want to stake can, and most ice rinks have a bar for those who don't want to ;)
Deepest darkest Essex! :D
Romford is my nearest rink but have Ka, will travel! ;)

Paul
17-02-2005, 21:37
I've been to my local rink (which obviously is Nottingham) about three times in the last 10 years - all three because my kids took their friends for their birthday treat. I can just about stay on my feet most of the time .....

swoop101
17-02-2005, 22:19
I used to go skating 5 times a week when I was a lad (25 years ago :disturbd: :shocked: )
Didn't do too bad, only broke my ankle once. :D

AndrewJ
17-02-2005, 22:27
I love Ice Skating been a year or so since, always liked it as for skating backwards at my local one in Manchester, I ended up hitting the floor more then the ice.