PDA

View Full Version : NTL & Home Networking

Mal
03-09-2003, 17:01
I've just got a router and I was having problems. So I phoned NTL to see if I needed to register the mac address of the router, in case that was the problem. (I don't have the expertise to know what's up, I've heard it mentioned, so I'd see if that was a possible cause).

The csr said NTL don't support home networking. I know people do use routers but your not supposed to (Not exact quote).

After talking to linksys tech support, I went onto their website and I noticed this press release (http://www.linksys.com/international/presspage.asp?prid=2&cyear=2003&coid=6).

What's going on? Or have I just read it wrong?

homealone
03-09-2003, 17:27
Hi Mal

are you still having problems with your router?

afaik Linksys routers work fine with default settings with a stand alone cable modem, but set top box connection requires cloning the mac address of the stb into the router.

Mal
03-09-2003, 17:58
Originally posted by homealone
Hi Mal

are you still having problems with your router?

afaik Linksys routers work fine with default settings with a stand alone cable modem, but set top box connection requires cloning the mac address of the stb into the router.
I've tried that. With the tech support person at linksys as well. He's advised me to download the newest firmware and if not that exchange it. Not had time to do it yet though, so I can't say if it works or not.

I'm curious though about ntl's position.

homealone
03-09-2003, 18:16
Hi Mal

Robin Walker has posted on com to say that the latest firmware 1.45.6, has a few problems of it's own. Version 1.44.2 seems to be ok, though. (having said that I'm using 1.45.6 & havn't noticed any problems - but I ain't going to disagree with Robin!)

I think NTL's position is that, although they are re-sellers for the kit, they don't support it & users must contact Linksys.

Mal
03-09-2003, 18:59
Originally posted by homealone
Hi Mal

Robin Walker has posted on com to say that the latest firmware 1.45.6, has a few problems of it's own. Version 1.44.2 seems to be ok, though. (having said that I'm using 1.45.6 & havn't noticed any problems - but I ain't going to disagree with Robin!)

I think NTL's position is that, although they are re-sellers for the kit, they don't support it & users must contact Linksys.
For some reason, unknown to me, the router is okay now. :confused: :confused: :shrug: :shrug: Don't ask me what I did, what happened or what I did differently.

Thanks anyway