PDA

View Full Version : I need a standalone cable modem

Vegeta
01-02-2005, 21:42
I am sick of my Samsung STB and its upload which completely kills my downstream :td: :mad:

How would I go about ntl giving me a separate cable modem and how would I set it up, rather do it manually than pay for it.

Do I only plug the CAT5 cable into the cable modem and power the modem from mains and I am good to go after registering the modem with ntl?

Thanks.

Marge
01-02-2005, 21:50
Hi there

If you ring Sales and advise you wish to have a Cable Modem due to problems they should be able to organise an installation for you. The Cable Modem is currently billed on a seperate system so it will be an extra DD every month. You'll need a pin number for the registration which you should receive by letter prior to the installation.

For registration it's just literally a matter of plugging the cables in, logging onto the registration site, registering the modem and thats it. You will need to register a new email address for the Cable Modem as it's not interlinked with the STB email addresses but once registered they can be migrated onto the same account.

Vegeta
01-02-2005, 21:58
So how much extra will it be each month? :shocked:

Also, is there a fee to pay for an engineer to call around with the modem?

The optic fibre cable that plugs into the back of the STB, I don't need to plug that anywhere into the cable modem do I ie its just the CAT5 cable from PC to the modem?

Marge
01-02-2005, 22:01
So how much extra will it be each month? :shocked:

Also, is there a fee to pay for an engineer to call around with the modem?

The optic fibre cable that plugs into the back of the STB, I don't need to plug that anywhere into the cable modem do I ie its just the CAT5 cable from PC to the modem?

No extra fee, it just replaces your current price you pay and no installation fee either. It's just a swop over of how you receive your broadband service. It's the same cable thats used for the STB and SACM so you should be able to use the same one or swipe some new from the engineer ;)

mmm
01-02-2005, 22:06
The cable modem needs to connect to ntl's coax cable (not fibre to house) and ntl installation technician needs to decide where to T off the existing cable (preferably, but most expensively as far back as possible!)

And if you max out the upstream it will still kill the download, thats the way TCP/IP works!

hairy_mick
01-02-2005, 22:10
Are you supposed to get a letter with pin no before install we used to on teesside but that no longer happens is that still the case on sms systems

paulyoung666
01-02-2005, 22:12
I am sick of my Samsung STB and its upload which completely kills my downstream :td: :mad:

Thanks.

just a small point for you .......... , if you saturate your upstream then you will kill your downstream no matter whether you use a stb or a sacm ;) :disturbd: :D :D

Ignition
01-02-2005, 22:43
Erm the Samsung's cable modem is I'm pretty sure better than the one in the stand alone modems. However if you really want to downgrade I'm sure that your local franchaise can arrange it and I'd hope that they charge you a full call out fee as this visit would be entirely unnecessary.
and ntl installation technician needs to decide where to T off the existing cable (preferably, but most expensively as far back as possible!)

Doesn't make any odds where the cable is split, will still degrade signals by at least 3dB (yay worse modem and worse cable signal, bargain for about £50!)

If you want to sort this issue out, cap the BT client / FTP server / DCC server's upload to no more than 1/2 your upstream, or better yet switch it off all together :)

homealone
01-02-2005, 22:46
just a small point for you .......... , if you saturate your upstream then you will kill your downstream no matter whether you use a stb or a sacm ;) :disturbd: :D :D

couldn't have put it better, myself ;)

and wot he said , above, as well ;)

Vegeta
01-02-2005, 23:30
I used to have a PACE 2000 STB before the Samsung.

I know how the TCP/IP protocol works.

I have been using Netlimiter (for a loooong time) to limit my upstream to 10kb/sec (I'm on the 750k service) and my downstream was unaffected if I limited it to that on the Pace 2000 but on the Samsung STB, even if I limit to 5kb/sec, it brings my downstream down from 86kb/sec to less than 50kb/sec...

Ignition, are you just "assuming" that the Samsung STB is better than the SACM or have you used both? :rolleyes:

I did a search of the forums and other users have experienced the same problem with upload affecting download severely on the Samsung STB.

Ignition
02-02-2005, 00:20
Ignition, are you just "assuming" that the Samsung STB is better than the SACM or have you used both? :rolleyes:

I did a search of the forums and other users have experienced the same problem with upload affecting download severely on the Samsung STB.

Nope haven't used the Samsung, and I'm aware that there are minor issues with it. However the cable modem in it is of better quality than the stand alone modem.

Will see if I can find an ETA for a fix to the firmware.

Could be a collection of other things causing the problems as well I'm afraid, the known bug is the most likely though.

I'd still be inclined to stick with what you have, this firmware correctable issue isn't a major major thing, however if you're feeling especially impatient as I said I'll find the status of the fix. Will let you know.

mmm
02-02-2005, 11:13
Doesn't make any odds where the cable is split, will still degrade signals by at least 3dB (yay worse modem and worse cable signal, bargain for about £50!)

Wouldn't it best to run a new cable from the green street box.?

2nd best to run a new cable from the isolator box on the outside of the house.

But cheapest would be to fit a 'low loss' T behind the STB and hope that both STB and CM can cope with loss in signal, if not raise tap on common cable in green box (if possible).

I wonder which ntl do?

Robc66
12-02-2005, 21:03
i am having the same problem as vegeta with my samsung stb... i used to be on 750k with the pace box and i could limit at 10k and get max down....then i got 1.5mbit and had to have the samsung box and now i find that i have to limit to about 8k to get max down....so im on the upgraded 1.5mbit service but i have to limit to less than before lol