PDA

View Full Version : DNS problems

liverpool fan
01-02-2005, 20:31
Hello

For about 2 years i've been using xbox live with no problems at all. now all of a sudden when i turn the modem off for a few mins to switch cables for my live account it can't find dns its taking 30mins to find it, any reason for this?

Only started to happen the last few days :td:

Tezcatlipoca
01-02-2005, 20:34
So the PC doesn't have any connection problems?

Not changed any settings in the XBox?

Have you tried manually specifying the DNS servers in the XBox dash?

Sometimes it's slow for me. Maybe it's just XBL having problems.

liverpool fan
01-02-2005, 20:37
So the PC doesn't have any connection problems?

Not changed any settings in the XBox?

Have you tried manually specifying the DNS servers in the XBox dash?

Sometimes it's slow for me. Maybe it's just XBL having problems.
Yes when i try to get back on the internet after live it has the same problem.
only the power light is on & the D/S light just flashes for about 30mins then it starts to work again.

Thanks for any help

Tezcatlipoca
01-02-2005, 20:45
Hmm. Maybe the modem is having problems trying to reconnect after you turn it back on.

How long do you leave it turned off for?

What model modem is it? Do you know what the signal levels are like? (see here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html)

btw, have you tried cloning the PC's NIC's MAC address onto the XBox? Should AFAIK negate the need to reboot the modem when you swap.

Also, have you checked the status page for any service issues/problems in your area?

Oh, & btw...Did you mean to post this in the ntl forum rather than Telewest? (you have an ntl IP yet this is the TW forum).

Anyway. Sorry, can't really be of much more use! Hopefully someone more helpful will be along :)

liverpool fan
01-02-2005, 20:50
I leave it off for 10mins, the ip etc is on the xbox, and yes i did mean to post on the ntl forum :dunce:

Like i say i've been doing this for nearly 2 years & have'nt changed a thing.

Tezcatlipoca
01-02-2005, 20:58
10 minutes should be more than enough time for it to be left off before changing devices.

You have the IP specified in the XBox? You mean your actual IP address? Or do you mean the IPs of the DNS servers? It's fine to specify the IPs of the DNS servers in the XBox (194.168.8.100 & 194.168.4.100), but you should not specify your connection's IP though - it is dynamic, not static, so can change.

If you have a normal ntl connection, then the only time you could ever manually specify the IP address is if you connect via a router, as the XBox would then be on a network & so could use a manual IP (e.g. 192.168.1.2) or a dynamic IP obtained from the router's DHCP server.

Go to the XBox's network settings, & set IP & DNS to automatic, not manual, then try again.

liverpool fan
01-02-2005, 21:00
Ah yes sorry the xbox is set to automatic, when i did a trouble shoot on my xbox it says can't connect to DNS server.