PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu

Tezcatlipoca
31-01-2005, 20:35
I've recently been thinking about trying to learn Kung Fu, & wondered if anyone here does it or has done it.

What's it like for complete beginners with absolutely no martial arts knowledge or experience? Is it really hard to get into? Or do you generally start out easily, & have a good learning curve?

I assume there are different styles..... can anyone recommend any in particular? Or say why the one they've done is good or not?

Kliro
31-01-2005, 20:40
What do you want this for? Self defence or leisure?

I've tried judo and akido, and found neither were for me.

I'm thinking about kick-boxing/thai kick-boxing, as these help keep you fit, are a hobby, and very good for self defence!

Graham
31-01-2005, 20:45
If you want to learn self defence, go to self defence classes, don't try to learn an "art".

Self defence is about doing the things that you're not allowed to do in a Martial Arts dojo fight (fingers in eyes, kicking for kneecaps etc) and you don't want to spend a few years learning those things if you're going to need them sooner than that.

Other things to consider: go and watch the class and see what people are doing. Are they exercising within the body's natural range of movements or going for "fancy techniques"? Also are they throwing full strength punches and kicks into empty air? If so, be concerned because this is *not* good for your joints in later years.

Another thing to watch out for is "body conditioning" (eg hitting your shins or arms with weights to make them capable of taking hits) again, this can lead to problems in later years.

Those are a few things to consider (there are more!)

Scrubbs
31-01-2005, 20:49
I have done kung fu years ago but switched over to Tai chi as it was part of the same thing "the seven strands of the brocade"
It is called Feng shou or " hand of the wind" and it is taught in the "Lee family style" (get googling;) )
It depends on yourself wether one style is good or not, Join a club or watch a video's of the different styles
When I trained the first 2 years were only defence before any attacking was done apart from basics for training

I have to ask, why do you want to do it?

having read some posts before I got this on the board some points

The classes i went to never had any competitions or anything like that because what we were learning was real life stuff, we all wore soft shoes and never broke bits of wood or anything like that.

Tezcatlipoca
31-01-2005, 20:57
Hmm, tbh, I don't really quite know why & what for.

Main thing is that one of my friends is thinking of doing it, & it's got me curious, plus I've had the odd idea about doing some sort of martial art on & off for a while now.

More "leisure" than self-defence, I guess...something to learn, something different & interesting to do.

Cheers for all the input so far :)

Scrubbs
31-01-2005, 20:59
Go along with your mate and watch, they shouldn't mind

ikthius
31-01-2005, 21:11
Hi there,

I have done kung fu for 4 years now and I love it.....

Our Kung Fu is called Lan Jung Kuen, but to be totally honest what we really do is Lau Gar, the biggest Kung Fu in Britain.

We do not call it Lau Gar because of politics, no one really knows why, it has had so many different explanations, but Master Lau who is head of Lau Gar is ok with it, as far as I am aware.

Anyone can do Kung Fu, depending on style, ours is not too fancy and we do do competitions if that is what your into, I personally prefer to get my grades.
I started when I was 25 and someone started not that long ago who is about 40, so age does not matter.

you do not have to be fit to start Kung Fu, because you will gert fitter as you go on, your flexibility will improve and your strength & speed will improve.

the best info I can give you is to look into which style you would like to do, then if it is near you go along and chat to the instructor,/watch a class and if you can try a class.

I have found that I have gained more confidence that I can see when a fight is coming now, so I can try to avoid one...e.g. run away, but if I can't I hope that I can handle myself by using what I know.

you will be taught mainly an art to get grades in Kung Fu terms a sash, but you will also get taught self defence.

you could take a look at my site which is for my Kung Fu club, there are links in the links page so you can get more of an understanding.

good luck.

ik
p.s. www.woskf.co.uk (http://www.woskf.co.uk)

Ramrod
31-01-2005, 21:17
'Kung Fu' (iirc) just means 'hard work' in Chinese :D

If by wanting to study kungfu you mean a Chinese martial art (as opposed to Japanese/Israeli/French etc) than you can opt for either internal or external arts. This refers to how energy (chi) is utilised.
The internal arts are Hsing-I, Ba Gua and Tai Chi. It's incredibly difficult, in my experience, to find any Hsing-i or Ba Gua instruction here and fairly difficult to find Tai Chi being taught as a martial art. Tai Chi is a close range martial art (sometimes very close range :D )
It takes about three years to learn the basic form in Tai Chi and ten years to become able to actually use it properly.
Onto the external styles.......Shaolin kung fu and Wing Tsung are probably the best known ones.
Wing Tsung is mainly concerned with middle to close range fighting and is noted for it's low kicks.
Shaolin takes in long to close range and uses high kicks, long punches. There are many other similar styles like Mantis and Shantung that appear to be similar to Shaolin.
If you want to get proficient 'quickly' then go for an external style, better still go for Wing Tsung (it was allegedly designed to be easy to learn :erm: )
In my experience, Tai Chi is the most 'nasty' martial art I have come across.....eye gouging, headbuts, shoulder strikes........but the problem is in finding a decent instructor.
However, imo, if you want to learn to fight effectively in a hurry, take up boxing.

edit.....damn..........forgot about Lau Gar.......sorry ikthius :D

If you want to learn self defence, go to self defence classes, don't try to learn an "art".

Self defence is about doing the things that you're not allowed to do in a Martial Arts dojo fight (fingers in eyes, kicking for kneecaps etc) and you don't want to spend a few years learning those things if you're going to need them sooner than that.

Other things to consider: go and watch the class and see what people are doing. Are they exercising within the body's natural range of movements or going for "fancy techniques"? Also are they throwing full strength punches and kicks into empty air? If so, be concerned because this is *not* good for your joints in later years.

Another thing to watch out for is "body conditioning" (eg hitting your shins or arms with weights to make them capable of taking hits) again, this can lead to problems in later years.

Those are a few things to consider (there are more!)Excellent post! :tu:

Halcyon
31-01-2005, 22:01
I admire people who know how to defend themselves. I have only tried it once at an initiation session but people who can master it well are pretty cool.
You are going to be the next Jackie Chan or whatever his name is.

Mike
31-01-2005, 22:11
Hi all

Before anyone takes up Kung fu this may be of interest !

http://www.kontraband.com/show/show.asp?ID=339&rtn=index-alltimetopten

Please note swearing and very Violent :dozey:

AndrewJ
31-01-2005, 22:14
Been interested in martial arts for a while, gf fancies having me in for Samuri Lessons, shes already half way through to top level.... note to self..dont annoy her while swords are in the room. :dozey:

iron25
31-01-2005, 22:14
I agree with Ramrod, if self defence is what you are after then in my opinion the best option is boxing. Most fights are scrappy affairs and what you see in movies is just complete fantasy. Most martial arts are good for self defence once you become extremely competent and can perform the moves without really thinking about them but that takes alot of time and effort. I studied karate once and found the repetition of the moves boring so gave up. In real life situations where you need to defend yourself both boxing and judo would be more beneficial than being able to do a roundhouse kick to the head.

If you are looking into studying a martial arts then take a look at wing chun. It's commonly regarded as one of the best martial arts to study and benefits those of a slightly small stature because it does not necessarily rely on speed and strength. The idea is that you should still be able to perform the same moves whether your 28 or 78.

I do think that a seriously skilled martial artist is someone not to be messed with. I watch a program on BBC3 which showed various martial arts and there was this old guy that did karate and it was impressive the way he was able to incapacitate the host with just two fingers in the right pressure points :)

ikthius
31-01-2005, 22:19
mind, body and kick ass moves.......

ik

Russ
31-01-2005, 22:26
Brown belt in Hong Lung Do Kung Fu here :)

It's all down to what you feel comfortable with - KF tends to benefit people with little strength but lots of speed, so it's ideal for women. Most styles target 'soft' areas which don't need power for an effective strike, such as eyes, throat, joints, solar plexus. Within the styles of KF there are some which benefit women even more, for example there are certain kicks which only women can produce properly (due to the hips being able to open differently for men/women).

If you are using KF for self defence, try to find a class which does a degree of weapons training as you never know when some idiot will come at you with a broken bottle or snooker cue, and some traditional styles will have training with (fake) knives and katanas which will give you some experience of this.

PM me for more info if you like :)

iron25
31-01-2005, 22:28
mind, body and kick ass moves.......

ik

:tu:

The show was alright but I thought they could have made it better by showing us how really effective martial arts can be. I thought the scene in the pool hall was really good when he told that big guy to swing a snooker cue at him. That guy really let rip and was subsequently thrown to the floor with relative easy. Coooool :D

ikthius
31-01-2005, 22:31
true, but I thought the guy doing it just showed off all the time, although some of the stuff he showed was cool.

ik

iron25
31-01-2005, 23:06
true, but I thought the guy doing it just showed off all the time, although some of the stuff he showed was cool.

ik

Agreed, the guy was a bit gay :)

The guy I was talking about must have been in his 50's and when he was dressed in his karate gi he looked rather pathetic, however, when they were at the golf course and he was dressed in a black suit he looked decidedly mean. If he was doorman at a nightclub you certainly wouldn't mess with him :Sprint:

homealone
31-01-2005, 23:09
<snip>

If you are looking into studying a martial arts then take a look at wing chun. It's commonly regarded as one of the best martial arts to study and benefits those of a slightly small stature because it does not necessarily rely on speed and strength. The idea is that you should still be able to perform the same moves whether your 28 or 78.

I do think that a seriously skilled martial artist is someone not to be messed with. I watch a program on BBC3 which showed various martial arts and there was this old guy that did karate and it was impressive the way he was able to incapacitate the host with just two fingers in the right pressure points :)

I know nothing, but being small, myself, isn't speed and un-anticipated strength a surprise element?

- whatever the answer to that, I remember being fascinated by a tv program demonstrating how a 2cm diameter 15cm long (or so) stick could be a lethal weapon, in the right hands - and a knowledge of 'pressure points' - hmm ;)

Tezcatlipoca
01-02-2005, 00:02
Heh, I leave the site for a couple of hours to watch a film, & come back to loads of great advice. Ta all :)

If you are looking into studying a martial arts then take a look at wing chun. It's commonly regarded as one of the best martial arts to study and benefits those of a slightly small stature because it does not necessarily rely on speed and strength.

Small stature? LOL, well, I'm short & skinny, so if that doesn't matter then great.

Wing chun? Is that the same as the Wing Tsung Ramrod mentioned? Or just a similar (to me) name?

Russ
01-02-2005, 00:31
Yes it's the same - Wing Tsung was actually conceived by a nun so it's ideal for smaller people or those lacking in power. The only thing I have against Wing Tsung is that for most of the moves, your body is square on to your opponent's - my view is you want to make yourself as small a target as possible.

It's interesting what people say about boxing etc - true it's a very effective style if faced with another person on the same 'rules', but watch a boxer lose control when confronted by a weapon or someone who uses kicks well. Judo is very effective as most fights these days end up on the deck but if you're taking on bozo and he's got his mates with him and you end up rolling about on the floor, it's likely one of them will stick the boot it.

Tai Kwon Do is good as well as it uses a lot of kicks but remember a kick is never going to be as quick as a good, well trained punch.

Of course I'm just talking from experience, you might find things differently but I would avoid Karate. For example, if you know a Karateka, ask him/her what their defence would be if you were to attack them with a broken bottle, swinging it down on to their head. Most likely they'd bring a forearm up to block it - well yes that would block your arm but in all likelihood would jolt the bottle out of your hand and end up smashing down on their head.

But yes, what works for me might not work for another person so it's best to 'shop around' as it were.

iron25
01-02-2005, 00:32
Heh, I leave the site for a couple of hours to watch a film, & come back to loads of great advice. Ta all :)

Small stature? LOL, well, I'm short & skinny, so if that doesn't matter then great.

Wing chun? Is that the same as the Wing Tsung Ramrod mentioned? Or just a similar (to me) name?

I think wing tsung is a variant of wing chun but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :)

About Wing Chun:

"Self-defense is only an illusion, a dark cloak beneath which lurks a razor-sharp dagger waiting to be plunged into the first unwary victim.
Whoever declares that any weapon manufactured today, whether it be a nuclear missle or a .38 special, is created for self-defense should look a little more closely at his own image in the mirror. Either he is a liar or is deceiving himself.

Wing Chun kung fu is a very sophisticated weapon--nothing else. It is a science of combat, the intent of which is the total incapacitation of an opponent. It is straightforward, efficient and deadly. If you're looking to learn self-defense, don't study Wing Chun. It would be better for you to master the art of invisibility"

-- Wong Shun Leung

Wong Shun Leung one of the greatest Masters of wing chun in this or any other century. I reckon I could take him though :D

Earl of Bronze
01-02-2005, 00:34
I've recently been thinking about trying to learn Kung Fu, & wondered if anyone here does it or has done it.

What's it like for complete beginners with absolutely no martial arts knowledge or experience? Is it really hard to get into? Or do you generally start out easily, & have a good learning curve?

I assume there are different styles..... can anyone recommend any in particular? Or say why the one they've done is good or not?

When I was in the army we where taught Jap Slapping (not very PC I know). The closest martial art to what I was taught would prolly be Krav Margah (sp?), which is ''supposed'' to be the technique taught to Isreali Mossad agents. What I learned is ''not'' flash, is incredibly brutal, and usually leaves you're protagonist in massive ammounts of pain. But hey, thats life. :)

Russ
01-02-2005, 00:36
I've heard about Krav Marga, developed by the Israeli army - very nasty beast as well, so I heard.

I remember talking to a kickboxer about KF and he was of the opinion his style was the best, "Kickboxing teaches you to take a punch" was what he used to come out with all the time.

My reply was "Kung Fu teaches you to avoid one".

Graham
01-02-2005, 00:38
It's interesting what people say about boxing etc - true it's a very effective style if faced with another person on the same 'rules', but watch a boxer lose control when confronted by a weapon or someone who uses kicks well.

An observation: this is, however, true of many martial arts fighting styles, they have often developed most in fighting other practitioners of the same style and can't handle it if someone change the "rules" eg grappling against someone who's used to kicks and punches.

Of course I'm just talking from experience, you might find things differently but I would avoid Karate. For example, if you know a Karateka, ask him/her what their defence would be if you were to attack them with a broken bottle, swinging it down on to their head.

The most "correct" answer to this from *any* sensible martial artist should be "run like hell"!!

Russ
01-02-2005, 00:40
Well yes but once your back is against the wall...and the wall is too high to climb....and Superman ain't about....

iron25
01-02-2005, 00:41
A martial art that I would like to be a master in has to be aikido. Apart from Bruce Lee films, one of the most impressive martial art that I have seen in movies is the steven seagal films, I know the films are crap but to see a 6ft 4in guy bitch slap baddies with such ease is cool.

With aikido you never strike first but use your opponents momentum and
Aikido techniques can be instantly lethal and it is an art in which "the one" is used to strike "the many." Train yourself to be mindful of attacks coming from four and eight directions.

Graham
01-02-2005, 00:44
Well yes but once your back is against the wall...and the wall is too high to climb....and Superman ain't about....

Graham's rules for fighting:

1) Talk your way out of it.

2) Run away from it.

3) Do something *very* dirty then use option 2 *very* fast.

Oh, and Rule Zero: When the fertilizer is heading towards the windmill Be somewhere else!!

Train yourself to be mindful of attacks coming from four and eight directions.

This works well in films, but as any military strategist from Sun Tzu to von Clauswitz will tell you: three against one is *not* good odds.

Russ
3) Do something *very* dirty

Really? Wouldn't work for me - I'm straight.

Earl of Bronze
I've heard about Krav Marga, developed by the Israeli army - very nasty beast as well, so I heard.

From what I've read it teaches you to reach from any position, in any situation. It also teaches you to use any object to hand as a weapon, bottles, chairs, you're keys etc. It deffo isnt a martial art to study if you ''only'' want to defend yourself.

Personally I've been thinking along the lines of either Jujitsu, or Bruce Lees Martial Art (can remember the name of it for the life of me). I'll have to go talk to the instructor in my local Leisure Center and get his advice, seeing as my back is a mess since the accident. :(

Russ
01-02-2005, 00:46
Personally I've been thinking along the lines of either Jujitsu, or Bruce Lees Martial Art (can remember the name of it for the life of me)

Jeet Kune Do, cracking little style. Again - very effective for a small (albeit strong) guy like Bruce, not sure how helpful it is if you're 6'5" and 19 stone.

Graham
01-02-2005, 00:46
[QUOTE=Russ D] Bruce Lees Martial Art (can remember the name of it for the life of me).

Jeet Kun Do - The way of the intercepting fist IIRC

iron25
01-02-2005, 01:15
[QUOTE=Earl of Bronze]

The way of the intercepting fist :scratch: Wasn't that a classic commodore 64 game :D

Ramrod
01-02-2005, 08:43
A martial art that I would like to be a master in has to be aikido. Apart from Bruce Lee films, one of the most impressive martial art that I have seen in movies is the steven seagal films, I know the films are crap but to see a 6ft 4in guy bitch slap baddies with such ease is cool.

With aikido you never strike first but use your opponents momentum and
Aikido techniques can be instantly lethal and it is an art in which "the one" is used to strike "the many." Train yourself to be mindful of attacks coming from four and eight directions.Remember that movies are of course, coreographed.......you usually don't see the outtakes where the hero messes up :D
Most Aikidoka bemoan the fact that they can't seem to use Aikido with the efectiveness of Morihei Ueshiba (the founder)

Jeet Kune Do, cracking little style. Again - very effective for a small (albeit strong) guy like Bruce, not sure how helpful it is if you're 6'5" and 19 stone.another martial art whose practitioners haven't had the founders success......

ikthius
01-02-2005, 17:00
the best thing to remember is that it is up to you, no matter what we all say the end of the matter is, it is you that has to be happy with what you choose.

all styles can be helpful, in some manner of speaking.

Aikido - great for pressure points and avoiding attacks and joint locking, can be very effective.
Kung Fu - direct, non powerful blocks more deflections, fast strikes, grips, tears can be long or short combat
Karate - strong and powerfull, and a hell of a lot of katas
boxing - kind of to the point, but does not really teach you self defence just how to box.
Muy Thai - good for fitness, and boxing and kicking, but better effectivesness in close

Now with regards to wing chun, there are different names and different organisations, but the general and most common is Wing Chun, taught to Wing Chun by the buddhist nun Ng Mui, Wing chun was taught this because she was small and fragile, and this was developed for her to beat the local bully who wanted to marry her, in the end she beat him.....according to legend.

it is very direct and very effective, it is not a strong style but more on speed and deflection... it works on the principle that there is always a centre line to a fight, if you control the centre line then you can win the fight, but to be honest when does anyone on a friday night that is half cut fight stragiht????

Tai Chi, to be honest is a very effective fighting style, but as said before it is hard to find a good teacher who can actually teach the fighting art, most of them just teach the healing part of the art.

but what do you want to do martial arts for? e.g. fighting, self defence, fitness
what kind of thing are you looking to do? e.g. cool kicks, self defence, self awareness, self control
these things you should ask yourself, and ask the instructor some questions.

make sure the martial arts has been around for a while, not one that just started 3 weeks before you join, make sure it is established before you part with cash, no point in starting aomething that is going to close soon.

good luck

ik

Russ
01-02-2005, 17:01
What a good post! Have a greenie.

ikthius
01-02-2005, 17:02
cheers mate

ik

Graham
01-02-2005, 17:09
[QUOTE=Earl of Bronze]

The way of the intercepting fist :scratch: Wasn't that a classic commodore 64 game :D

ITYM "... exploding fist" ;)

make sure the martial arts has been around for a while, not one that just started 3 weeks before you join, make sure it is established before you part with cash, no point in starting aomething that is going to close soon.

I recall hearing a year or two ago, someone wanted to set up a school called "Matrix Kung Fu"! :rolleyes:

ikthius
01-02-2005, 17:23
I recall hearing a year or two ago, someone wanted to set up a school called "Matrix Kung Fu"! :rolleyes:

oh how sad.............

ik

Wolf
01-02-2005, 18:08

I study Lau Gar Kung Fu which is the most popular form studied in UK ( last i checked ) Each lesson varies depending on the trainer. I chose it because I found kick boxing and tae kwon do excessive. Click here (http://www.laugar-kungfu.com/index.htm)to visit the official Laugar website. Any questions and I try my best to answer. I have onyl done it for approx 2 years and really do enjoy it. Your first few lessons always feel strange because you feel out of character but don't be embarressed it soon fades. My instructors are brilliant and very helpful and never make you do anything you don't want to, but at least show some effort ;)

Russ
01-02-2005, 18:10
My old training partner used to do Lau Gar, it looked like a very effective style of KF.

Ramrod
01-02-2005, 18:13
If you want a martial art that is traditional and also very realistic you could try Kyokushinkai (http://www.bkk-uk.com/) karate......full contact, no pads (pads/gloves/mits are for wimps anyway) :D
These guys take training and conditioning to insane levels.

Slightly less insane (I trained with this bunch) is Shotokan karate with the KUGB (http://www.kugb.org/) No pads etc......but semi-contact (so the strike is not dug in all the way--though about a third of my ribs have been broken) :D

Wolf
01-02-2005, 18:16
I only do Lau Gar cos i want to defend myself. I can run away to live another day. My brother-in-law was Tae kwon do euro champ about 12 years ago and he seems to enjoy hurting people ( he used to be a bouncher too ).

Tezcatlipoca
01-02-2005, 19:42
More great posts :)

(esp. ik's...I'd rep you, but can't as I did so yesterday!)

Have done a quick Google, & found a Wing Tsun Kung Fu club (http://www.cambridgekungfu.com/) in Cambridge. Looks interesting, & seems to be an established club.

Will talk to my mate about it, & try & sort out having a look at the place :) [may be hard...I'm quite lame at getting round to doing things!]

ikthius
01-02-2005, 20:01
I would go along and try it, if I found wing chun before I found my club I would have done that instead, i found it 2 years after i found my club, both train on same days so I can't do both.

ik

dd2k
01-02-2005, 20:29
I do Ju Jitsu, rcently got my blackbelt, i reccomend it to anyone, its a great self defence art that still has a lot of tradition but is still usable on street to defend your self.

*anyone looking for a a quick blackbelt need not look into it*

Sensei Dan Speed
1st Dan NEKJJ SRIJJ

EDIT: For those who are not sure what ju jitsu involves,
It is the art of which Judo and Karate were formed from.
It involves breaking your openents balance to use there strengh agaisnt them, blocking attacks, restraining techniques, the usual kicks and punches.

greencreeper
01-02-2005, 23:58
I remember doing Judo as a kid. I got thrown around a lot and did a lot of forward rolls. Stick to something like Scrabble - far safer, less drain on the NHS.

danielf
02-02-2005, 00:01
I remember doing Judo as a kid. I got thrown around a lot and did a lot of forward rolls. Stick to something like Scrabble - far safer, less drain on the NHS.

Actually, having those forward rolls drilled into me, saved me from a few broken bones over the years. Mind you, that's the only positive thing I got out of (being forced to do) six years of Judo. (though I still do a mean neck lock :) )

homealone
02-02-2005, 00:18
Actually, having those forward rolls drilled into me, saved me from a few broken bones over the years. Mind you, that's the only positive thing I got out of (being forced to do) six years of Judo. (though I still do a mean neck lock :) )

I still do a mean hip, or shoulder, throw, 35 years later ;)

danielf
02-02-2005, 00:21
I still do a mean hip, or shoulder, throw, 35 years later ;)

True, I have surprised people with a hip throw on occasion :)

It does become second nature.

greencreeper
02-02-2005, 09:39
Throwing was something the bigger lads did with us little uns :(

bopdude
02-02-2005, 09:55
I studied kempo karate for a while with my kids ( must get back into it )anywho, its a great form, and takes in weapons training as well, very good for begginers and up-over.. IMHO ;)

In all of this though remember, nothing beats a kind word and a lump of 2 by 4 ;)

dd2k
03-02-2005, 10:34
Actually, having those forward rolls drilled into me, saved me from a few broken bones over the years.
Yup those rolls do have there uses when ure falling down a flight of stairs :D

ikthius
13-02-2005, 13:14
so Matt,

Have you decided what you would like to do?
Have you tried Kung Fu or any other art for that matter?

ik

Tezcatlipoca
13-02-2005, 14:24
so Matt,

Have you decided what you would like to do?
Have you tried Kung Fu or any other art for that matter?

ik

I'm gonna hopefully give Wing Tsun Kung Fu a try. My mate's up for it, I just need to overcome my laziness (could take some doing!), & contact the Cambridge Kung Fu club.

ikthius
13-02-2005, 15:04
good luck and let us know what it is like.

ik

greencreeper
13-02-2005, 15:45
<greencreeper patiently awaits the "Can you recommend a chiropractor" thread>

:p:

Ramrod
13-02-2005, 20:16

:p:*ahem* oops: :D

ikthius
14-02-2005, 08:13

:p:

thats.... C.H.I.R.O.P.R.A.C.T.O.R.

I hate that guy in the yellow pages advert, who the hell is he and what else has he done....... ?

sorry that was :notopic:

ik

Ramrod
14-02-2005, 09:03
I hate that guy in the yellow pages advert, who the hell is he and what else has he done....... ?
It's James Nesbit..he's been in lots of things............like 'Cold Feet'

ikthius
14-02-2005, 10:37
It's James Nesbit..he's been in lots of things............like 'Cold Feet'

no the fat one, that say YOGA in that very annoying voice.

ik

Tezcatlipoca
28-02-2005, 19:29
Finally got off my lazy arse & actually arranged something :shocked:

My first of three free introductory sessions is this evening... then, if I like it & want to continue, I sign up for the Beginners sessions...

Off in ten mins... :erm:

Tezcatlipoca
28-02-2005, 21:50
Interesting first session :)

Started off with a chat with the instructer, about what I want to get out of WT, what it all involves etc., & then started with some basic physical stuff like blocks & punches.

Second session is Wednesday evening....(slight problem: That's the night I always go out for a couple of hours of beer & pool with my workmates....Must make sure I don't get ****** before Kung Fu!)

Ramrod
28-02-2005, 21:54
Second session is Wednesday evening....(slight problem: That's the night I always go out for a couple of hours of beer & pool with my workmates....Must make sure I don't get ****** before Kung Fu!)Word to the wise....do not go to a lesson smelling of booze :disturbd:

Tezcatlipoca
28-02-2005, 22:08
LOL. I think it's best if I stick to coke this week then.

ikthius
28-02-2005, 23:16
did you enjoy it?

I am surprised they have not let you try it for a month without signing up.

ik

dd2k
28-02-2005, 23:53
did you enjoy it?

I am surprised they have not let you try it for a month without signing up.

ik
im affraid clubs cant these days due to insurence. My club can only offer a max of 3 lessons on a tempory insurence of £5 before taking up a full insurence of £20.

danielf
01-03-2005, 00:04
LOL. I think it's best if I stick to coke this week then.

I do hope you mean coca cola rather than cocaine ;)

homealone
01-03-2005, 00:14
I do hope you mean coca cola rather than cocaine ;)

at least they won't be accused of 'speeding' :angel:

ikthius
01-03-2005, 07:51
im affraid clubs cant these days due to insurence. My club can only offer a max of 3 lessons on a tempory insurence of £5 before taking up a full insurence of £20.

I did not mean, not paying, he should still pay the daily rate, whatever that should be.

Our club lets you try for a month, because then you have a better understanding of wether you are going to like it or not. then after the month you can decide to join.

as long as the person understands/is told about all the insurance things then it is up to the individual, and anyway, they should watch a class first, then try a class (which should be trial classes, not heavy sessions).

I personally don't pay insurance, the club has insurance, so if anything happened to me while at teh club, I *could* claim them, and so could any of the fellow students.

but then again every club is different.

ik

dd2k
01-03-2005, 09:04
I did not mean, not paying, he should still pay the daily rate, whatever that should be.

Our club lets you try for a month, because then you have a better understanding of wether you are going to like it or not. then after the month you can decide to join.

as long as the person understands/is told about all the insurance things then it is up to the individual, and anyway, they should watch a class first, then try a class (which should be trial classes, not heavy sessions).

I personally don't pay insurance, the club has insurance, so if anything happened to me while at teh club, I *could* claim them, and so could any of the fellow students.

but then again every club is different.

ik

Wel the insurence comes as part of the licence fee the most clubs, as it does in ours(with the exceptions of the 3day trial) the only people that have personal insurence is the instructers, everyone else is covered under the clubs but every student has to pay a small fee
.under our insurence policy for us to give like a months trial we would have to pay for a years insurence, sux dont it

but like u say every club is different and every insurence compay is different

Tezcatlipoca
01-03-2005, 19:57
did you enjoy it?

Yep :)

ikthius
01-03-2005, 23:26
good stuff, you probably did not get shown the cool stuff, and if you didn't and still liked it, then it gets much better, then you will do sticky hands at some point wich is fun

ik

Tezcatlipoca
12-06-2005, 18:05
Had an all-day seminar today, from 10:30am (too early, agh!) 'till 4:30pm, including gradings.

Tiring, & I really ache. But.... I've now got my first WT grade :D

punky
12-06-2005, 18:10
Cool, congrats :)

I assume that is like passing your first belt in Karate?

Ramrod
12-06-2005, 18:47
My first dan grading was about a hour long. It was the most stressful experience of my life so far............
...........'course, Kyokushinkai karate gradings can be 8 hours long :disturbd:

Tezcatlipoca
12-06-2005, 21:45
Cool, congrats :)

I assume that is like passing your first belt in Karate?

Cheers :)

Yeah, I guess so. WingTsun doesn't have coloured belts, but it does have a grading system.

My first dan grading was about a hour long. It was the most stressful experience of my life so far............
...........'course, Kyokushinkai karate gradings can be 8 hours long :disturbd:

Although this was just the 1st grade, I was pretty stressed as I'd (obviously) not had any experience of what a grading was like. I was dreading I'd forget the form, or the examiner would come over & do something to me & I'd be left standing there not knowing what to do, etc. Turned out to be OK though :)

8 hours?!

greencreeper
12-06-2005, 21:51
So if there are no coloured belts, how do you know who to avoid picking a fight with? :erm:

ikthius
13-06-2005, 12:53
well done, so that is you hooked on kung fu then?

I go for my brown sash before christmas, which is the one before black.
I gotta work hard for it.

ik

Ramrod
13-06-2005, 13:02
Although this was just the 1st grade, I was pretty stressed as I'd (obviously) not had any experience of what a grading was like. I was dreading I'd forget the form, or the examiner would come over & do something to me & I'd be left standing there not knowing what to do, etc. Turned out to be OK though :)
Yep, gradings were awfull..........Even now I still feel slightly nervous in a sports hall :dozey: ...............and have to stop myself bowing before entering any largish enclosed space :D

Tezcatlipoca
14-06-2005, 20:21
So if there are no coloured belts, how do you know who to avoid picking a fight with? :erm:

LOL.

Although I wouldn't pick a fight with anyone :angel:

(But it'd be nice to be able to finish a fight if necessary.)

Gradings & Uniform...

No coloured belts to signify what level you're at, but there is still a proper system of grades & levels, plus the uniform does have some bits which give an idea to your level.

12 Student Grades...1-4 are Beginners, 5-8 are Intermediate, 9-12 are Advanced.

The first four beginner grades have a white t-shirt, the intermediate grades have a grey t-shirt, & the advanced grades have a black t-shirt.

Each Student Grade takes about three months, so you can do all 12 in 3 years if you grade at every opportunity.

After the Student programme, there are then what I guess would be twelve "graduate" grades.

1-4: Technician Grades (also called Teacher)

5-8: Practician Grades (also called Master)

9-12: Grandmaster Grades.

The post student grades take some time. 1 year for Technician 1, 2 years for Technician 2..........

well done, so that is you hooked on kung fu then?

I go for my brown sash before christmas, which is the one before black.
I gotta work hard for it.

ik

Yep, definitely hooked.

Good luck for the brown :)

makikomi
14-06-2005, 21:36
I've done Judo for over 21 years, and am pretty decent at it (3rd dan).

I've always found the striking martial arts very exciting to watch, but they lacked something for me. Partly, it was the monotony of the katas (essential for developing muscle memory, I know) and the relative two-dimensionality of it.

I've always found judo has stimulated me both physically AND mentally, and never felt the need to try anything else.

Added to which, most fights I've seen end up in wrestling matches and that is where Judo would come into its own.

However, I am sick of martial arts claiming to be "the ultimate self defence". No martial art is the ultimate self-defence - there are too many rules and restrictions, and when your physical well-being is at risk, there are no rules.

At the end of the day, it's horses for courses. Most martial arts clubs will allow you to attend a few sessions for free, and it really can take a while to get a real feel for whether a particular martial art is the right one for you.

The difficulty is spotting a decent club in the first place. Many of the martial arts clubs I've seen look professional, but have poor standards of technique, or are over-focused on competition. Added to this, too many clubs are out to make money from their members. The club I helped run before moving up north looked like nothing special, but we had an informal atmosphere, worked hard because we enjoyed our sport, weren't out to make money at all, and yet the technical standard was higher than most others in the county.

Ramrod
14-06-2005, 21:45
So if there are no coloured belts, how do you know who to avoid picking a fight with? :erm:You look at what they do and how they do it................

The difficulty is spotting a decent club in the first place. Many of the martial arts clubs I've seen look professional, but have poor standards of technique, or are over-focused on competition. Added to this, too many clubs are out to make money from their members. The club I helped run before moving up north looked like nothing special, but we had an informal atmosphere, worked hard because we enjoyed our sport, weren't out to make money at all, and yet the technical standard was higher than most others in the county.Well said :tu:

Tuftus
14-06-2005, 22:33
In the style of Neo -

"I know Kung-Fu!"

greencreeper
15-06-2005, 00:12
<snip>The first four beginner grades have a white t-shirt, the intermediate grades have a grey t-shirt, & the advanced grades have a black t-shirt.<snip>
Ah - seems simple enough. I've now made a mental note to avoid anyone in a black t-shirt in a sports hall :D

ikthius
15-06-2005, 21:56
<snip>

Yep, definitely hooked.

Good luck for the brown :)

cheers dude

ik

Tezcatlipoca
01-04-2006, 15:45
Well.........

Got my 4th WingTsun kung fu Student Grade in mid-March.

Except unlike the 1st three I passed, it's not an official NWTO-GB (http://www.wtdefence.com) grading, as my club (http://www.whatakick.com) left the NWTO-GB in late Feb (apparently quite a few have left...lots of politics in WT).

And to top it off, even though you'd think that leaving the Organisation would make things cheaper, as they'd not be paying huge franchise fees anymore, the prices have actually effectively gone *up*.

If I carried on paying what I was paying, I'd now have fewer hours per week than before. If I wanted to get the same hours of training per week as before, I'd have to pay even more per month to do so.

And the price I was paying was already a bit bloody steep.

So.....I've quit. Fed up with the ever changing fees, fed up with all the changes they keep doing, & also why bother if it's no longer part of a recognised organisation.

Not a waste of a year though, still had a great time doing WingTsun.

Just a pity there aren't any WT (or WC) clubs near me.

Will have to try & find something else.