PDA

View Full Version : Packetloss

welshnick
31-01-2005, 00:16
I play alot online games and get alot of lag on this connection. I found out that the cause of this was alot of packetloss after some research into what it actually was. I live in a student building which has telwest buisiness broadband, I think 10 mbit (not completely sure) and theres about 300 people in the building using the connection. I usually get 20+ packetloss and up to about 70, but every now and again i dont have any. Was just wondering if the cause is simply too many ppl on the network, or could it be something else that could be fixed. thanks.

Ignition
01-02-2005, 23:51
Sounds like too many people on the network.

It's not actually 'broadband' it's a leased line probably over fibre all the way that's supplying that so not strictly 'broadband' but 'baseband' :)

welshnick
06-02-2005, 19:00
Thanks, but if it is just too many people, shouldn't i have high ping in the game too ? My downloads speeds are usually 150 kb/s too. I play ut2004, and i get ping around 40 usualy, but when i press F6 it says i have 40-60 packetloss, and the game is too laggy to play. Webpages tend to load quite slowly too.

Ignition
07-02-2005, 12:48
Depends how they are queuing things, they might be traffic shaping to try and control the usage of some things, with the symptom that your gaming traffic is suffering being dropped rather than delayed.

Ask the techie bods if they are aware of anything - packet loss on a leased line is quite a serious matter and I'd expect it to be fixed VERY quickly.

So could be your PC I guess as well - have you asked anyone else if they have this issue? My money is still on network congestion showing as packet loss because of traffic shaping or another bit of equipment on the network that's very busy and dropping packets.

welshnick
07-02-2005, 15:07
It hasnt been fixed quickly at all, been like this since I moved here in september last year. I spoke to the techie dude in the building but he's useless to be honest he didnt even know what packetloss was when i told him, didnt really help speaking to him, think he thinks so long as web pages load there's nothing wrong. I know its not my pc, because i have no problems at my parents house with their connection. Guess I'll just have to put up with it until I move out.

jago25_98
07-03-2005, 11:54
I spoke to the techie dude in the building but he's useless to be honest he didnt even know what packetloss was when i told him,

Good god, give me his job.

This is what you get when you need a piece of paper to be a techie