PDA

View Full Version : NTL 1.5Mbit constantly On and Off

B1ot
30-01-2005, 18:34
Over the past few weeks my NTL 1.5mbit has been constantly switching on and off, that is, one minute it will be working fine, the next MSN will sign out, all pages show "Page not found." Within a few minutes it often comes back; sometimes it takes a little longer also. This is happening every day on a regular basis.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? At the moment it is extremely frustrating and it also disconnects me from any online gaming totally messing that up as well.

Edit: Sorry for lack of info - I'm using a set top box, ethernet, plugged into a Syslink router (though directly connecting from the box to my xbox on Live didn't help, so I think that can be ruled out.) At all times I have a single green light on the stb, this stays on regardless of the state of the connection.

Thanks, John.

paulyoung666
30-01-2005, 18:41
hi and :welcome: to the site , a bit more info is required here , stb or sacm , usb or ethernet , what happens to the lights on the box when it goes off etc etc etc , hope you enjoy your stay :tu: :)

JohnHorb
30-01-2005, 18:46
What part of the country? Have you checked the NTL server status page? (Link at the foot of this page)?

B1ot
30-01-2005, 18:52
Heh, taken me a while to post this because the connection keeps going off. I'm in Leeds, and apparently there are no problems her, according to the Service Status Page.

paulyoung666
30-01-2005, 18:54
more info my child , more info :D :D :D

B1ot
30-01-2005, 18:57
What else? By the way, thanks for the welcome.

My stb is a Samsung SMT-2100C.

paulyoung666
30-01-2005, 19:00
What else? By the way, thanks for the welcome.

My stb is a Samsung SMT-2100C.

what happens to the lights on the box when it goes off , which ones go off , which ones stay on etc :)

B1ot
30-01-2005, 19:02
There is always 1 light on the stb, green, no matter what the status of the connection.

Tezcatlipoca
30-01-2005, 19:06
Have you tried connecting the PC directly to the STB, instead of via the router?

In what way did it "not help" when you tried connecting the XBox directly to the STB? Did it connect, but go off & on? Did it not connect at all? Did you clone the PC's MAC address onto the XBox beforehand? (if you connect an XBox directly to an STB, you have to clone a registered MAC address onto it).

What model of Linksys router is it? Does it have the latest firmware?

JohnHorb
30-01-2005, 19:08
Sounds like a call to NTL may be required, unless some kind NTL poster can help you remotely????

I presume your router is set to obtain settings automatically for the WAN port?

B1ot
30-01-2005, 19:13
Have you tried connecting the PC directly to the STB, instead of via the router?

In what way did it "not help" when you tried connecting the XBox directly to the STB? Did it connect, but go off & on? Did it not connect at all? Did you clone the PC's MAC address onto the XBox beforehand? (if you connect an XBox directly to an STB, you have to clone a registered MAC address onto it).

What model of Linksys router is it? Does it have the latest firmware?Have yet to try a direct stb to PC link. Linking to xbox did the usual "on/off" connection, I did clone the MAC.

The router is a Linksys BEFSR41. It obtains the WAN IP Address automatically.

setch
30-01-2005, 21:33
Call NTL, I had the same problem which lasted from the 24th Dec through to the 25th of January. I rang the TSRs several times, but nobody really knew what was going on. All I can tell you is that my router logs were showing that I was getting a couple of hundred hits every minute from an internal NTL ip address and effectively stopped me connecting to the net. I lost my IP address every 10 or so minutes. On the rare instance when it worked for a couple of minutes these hits were not occurring. I no longer get these hits and my broadband connections is working fine.

I am wondering if maybe they are having a few issues getting ready for the speed increase rollout.

Setch

B1ot
31-01-2005, 19:07
I will ring NTL.

jteape
31-01-2005, 21:29
I've got exactly the same problem in the felixstowe area (same router no dif if directly connected to pc). I've checked ntls status page and the describe the exact problem except its not going on in my area..... :Yikes:

===================================
Broadband customers in the following areas may currently be experiencing a degraded service such as slow browsing or intermittent access to email. In some cases service may also be lost completely.

Our engineers are working to resolve the issues as soon as possible.

Areas affected: Bishop Stortford, Brighton, Leicester, Harrogate, Poole.
====================================

anyone else with the same thing? its getting really annoying trying to play poker as it always seems to know when i have a good hand!
--
jools