PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modem Problem

JonnyBoy
29-01-2005, 21:21
Last week I uninstalled my ntl ambit 100 modem due to it disconnecting every few minutes or so. I have tried to reinstall it, however I have not had any success.

I have tried everything humanly possible to reconnect it, i.e install the installation disc, update the drivers, check wires etc, but to no avail. The USB light on the modem has remained off.

I have phoned ntl technical support on several occasions and have had an engineer call, they have done checks and they say the modem is fine. (But I know it isn't, As the modem would have installed straight away).

I also tried my usb webcam in the same port, and the device manager located that straight away, I cannot understand why the device manager has not located the modem

Can anyone please help as this is making my life a misery.

homealone
29-01-2005, 21:45
:welcome: to Cable Forum JonnyBoy

you ain't going to like this, but I would advise trying it with a network card, rather than USB, the cards are cheap & easy to install and are generally better for a broadband connection ;)

hairy_mick
30-01-2005, 15:13
Have a look in device manager and see if the modem is there it may need installing again with update driver

Rone
30-01-2005, 16:02
Never rely on usb, as above, get a network card. ;)

jrhnewark
30-01-2005, 17:14
Network (Ethernet) card is the only thing that can really be suggested.

Chris W
30-01-2005, 23:45
it should be possible to get the usb running....
the fact that the light is not coming on is somewhat worrying though.
Have you tried an alternative USB cable? if not, then this is the first step!
If you are connecting through a USB hub, disconnect this and connect the modem straight to the computer.

Also try the following:
with the modem plugged into the pc, go to device manager and remove any of the following that appear in any category:
1. usb cable modem 351000
2. ambit usb cable modem
3. unknown device
4. usb composite device

then unplug the cable modem from the computer.

Then insert your ntl installation cd and browse to X(cd drive):/drivers/ambit/uninstall.exe

The wizard will ask you to restart the computer... say no.
Then open windows explorer and make sure that you are showing hidden files on the hard disk (view -> folder options -> view -> "show all files")
then search local hard disks for
usbcm

delete any results. Then shutdown and restart the pc. when it is fully booted plug the cable modem back in and see if you get a "found new hardware" wizard appearing. Walkthrough this, and if it prompts you to the location of the drivers, point to X:/drivers/ambit/

hth
MB

budwieser
31-01-2005, 22:45
Last week I uninstalled my ntl ambit 100 modem due to it disconnecting every few minutes or so. I have tried to reinstall it, however I have not had any success.

I have tried everything humanly possible to reconnect it, i.e install the installation disc, update the drivers, check wires etc, but to no avail. The USB light on the modem has remained off.

I have phoned ntl technical support on several occasions and have had an engineer call, they have done checks and they say the modem is fine. (But I know it isn't, As the modem would have installed straight away).

I also tried my usb webcam in the same port, and the device manager located that straight away, I cannot understand why the device manager has not located the modem

Can anyone please help as this is making my life a misery.

Have you recently formatted your Hard drive and reinstalled Windows?
If so, have you reinstalled your Motherboard drivers?
Just a thought.:)
Try another device in the same usb port.

JonnyBoy
01-02-2005, 10:29
Thanks for the advice.

NTL engineer calling round today to sort it out hopefully.

Forgot to mention that I have a network card installed but that also isn't recognised by the modem.

I'll let you know what happens.

jtribe
02-02-2005, 21:36
I would be interested in the outcome, mine refuses to connect via ethernet cable, no lights nothing even via a hub, tried two different netcards, and a laptop but no connection. USB gets through in seconds though but dont like it.
Hope yours gets fixed