PDA

View Full Version : Are you a night person ?

Halcyon
29-01-2005, 19:44
Are you a night person ?
Or in other words.....are you an owl as owls love the night.
I've met some people who go to bed really early and this is accross a wide age range, both young and old, whilst others don't go to bed until the early hours of the morning.

I seem to love the night and going to bed at any time around 9pm or 10pm would be disrupting for me.
I just find the night peaceful and I can relax in front of movie, go out with friends and chill out, go out clubbing, or browse the forums.
Whatever it is, I just feel like my day isnt over and the night is like a great extension to the day.

Sometimes there will be one day in the week where I will feel tired but I just think of it that on Saturday I will have a nice long sleep and catch up.

I guess Im not going to bed too later most nights...mostly 1am to 2am but that changes if I go out, so variations all along the week, but constantly after midnight. I cant remember the last time I went to sleep before 12.

So what are you ?
Do you go to bed early and wake up early ?
Do you stay up until the early hours ?

AndrewJ
29-01-2005, 19:46
Normall am up for about 10am, and go bed about 2-3am depends on time of year and how the central heating is working. ;)

luftys
29-01-2005, 19:58
I start work at 6:45am but still stay up till 12pm or 1 am talking on the puter :Yikes:

When Iam going up North,which I do a lot,am up till 2am or 3am If I get home at 3am I still have to be at work 6:45 :disturbd:

iadom
29-01-2005, 20:28
It all depends on who is with me, ;) :naughty: :angel:

luftys
29-01-2005, 20:32
It all depends on who is with me, ;) :naughty: :angel:
You are not the roll over ,fart,fall asleep type then :disturbd:

Paul
29-01-2005, 20:36
Up at 8:30am on work days, 10am at weekends - normally go to bed about 2am on work days and 3am at weekends.

homealone
29-01-2005, 20:49
I don't work shifts, any more, but I was once late for a 1400-2200 ;)

now I get up at 0715, during the week, but never seem to get to bed before midnight.

weekends, I am not usually up till after 1000 - and bedtime varies, but not usually much later than 0300 ;)

Mick
29-01-2005, 20:51
I work nights so I am definately an Owl. ;)

On my nights off, going to bed at 2am is considered an early night for me. :D

AndrewJ
29-01-2005, 20:51
gf is a true non sleeper apart from when she is ill or weak due to her disablity, but I have known her do 48hour stints on a chat room to keep it family safe.

Some of you people are up for work very early..how you do it?

iadom
29-01-2005, 20:57
Actually, up at 6.50 six days a week and on my first call for 7.30 am. I can stay up till the wee small hours or go to bed before 10.30 pm. I find that I often come awake again after 1.00pm.

A hard game of squash or a good bottle of wine can make me a little tired sometimes.
I used to work full time on a farm for the first 6 years of my working life, up at 6.30am, 7 days a week, so early rising is no problem to me, no matter how late I retire.

homealone
29-01-2005, 20:59
Some of you people are up for work very early..how you do it?

an angel arrives with my dressing gown & when I stumble into 'my' room & turn on the PC I find a cup of tea & a biscuit has appeared on my desk, by magic ;)

tea - biscuit - shower - dress - cycle to work - sometimes I'm even nearly awake, when I get there ;)

Halcyon
29-01-2005, 21:06
So the trend seems to indicate quite a few night people, even though they have work in the morning.
I guess fruit is responsable for helping me keep awake at night. I normally eat lots of fruit and I think something in that keeps me from falling asleep.

As for mornings, I really hate them as Im always late and want to leave the alarm clock another 10 minutes which makes everything else a big rush.

As for the night, I'm in the roof and often its lovely to just look out at the night and over the town from above. Its as if the world has stopped sometimes.

And as someone mentioned in this thread, getting a good drink and a good CD or movie is rather nice and relaxing.

iadom
29-01-2005, 21:31
an angel arrives with my dressing gown & when I stumble into 'my' room & turn on the PC I find a cup of tea & a biscuit has appeared on my desk, by magic ;)
I'll bet you believe in Father Christmas as well Gaz,:)

sir_drinks_alot
29-01-2005, 21:32
no well only when i say up to watch the SuperBowl or oscars on tv. :tu:

Mal
29-01-2005, 21:43
Weekdays up at 6.00am, in bed around midnight. Thank god for coffee ;) Weekends, whenever.

Richard M
29-01-2005, 22:52
Monday-Friday 9-5 person me, but I rarely go to bed before 1am and get up for work at 7.

Macca371
29-01-2005, 23:05
In the school holidays I tend to keep going to sleep later and later until about 6am, and it stays there. It seems as though it's my natural rhythm. I think the night is great, but it does get annoying because the quality of television at this time is usually pitiful and nobody is ever online to talk to so I'm always bored.

Readjusting the rhythm in time for school/college is usually a pain too.

homealone
29-01-2005, 23:16
I'll bet you believe in Father Christmas as well Gaz,:)

whether I do or not, she is an :angel: :D

Halcyon
29-01-2005, 23:33
I cant stand mornings. Whenever I wake up I have 2 sets of stairs to go down and I'm half asleep. I need a good 2 hours to wake up properly.
But at night I can just chill out.

I sometimes think I can concentrate better at night too and can write Uni essays at night better than in the day.
I guess it just feels more calm and relaxed and at the end of the day you can just go out and meet friends or watch a film relaxing.

Graham
30-01-2005, 00:55
Are you a night person ?

The time is 00:56. What was the question again?! :D

Halcyon
30-01-2005, 02:20
Well its 02.20 so yep, I'm currently living in the night.

Xaccers
30-01-2005, 02:57
I have to be up in 3 hours to get ready to go out to an airsoft skirmish, ooo it's going to be an interesting day!

Steve H
30-01-2005, 03:21
Jammy git Xaccers, really want to get into airsofting.

I'm more a night person.. working earlies (5.30am) destroyed that though.. but now i've changed jobs, I tend to be up until ~4am.. sleep till 10-11ish.

AndrewJ
30-01-2005, 03:24
3am ish.,,, and you want to go bed??? lmao...to early yet mate.

carlingman
30-01-2005, 03:58
Mon to Fri usually awake till 12 or 1am and up at 5.30am take the dog for a walk and into work by 8am and then finish around 5pm and back home by 6pm.

Weekends differ as usually dont work in my regular job but often do a few shifts taxiing on Fri and Sat so guess i am night person like now as 6 hours in a taxi and now home for a few beers and chill out.

Halcyon
30-01-2005, 12:17
So air softing is like paint balling huh ?

Carlingman you are up at 5.30am !!!! :Yikes:
I could never do that.

Seti
30-01-2005, 15:26
I am a night owl too. I tend to go to bed when I feel like it, mostly around 2 or 4 am. It depends. I get up late as well :) Normally not up till gone 11 but, I shocked the neighbourhood by being up at obscene hours in the day this week !

Sian

Matthew
30-01-2005, 18:23
I'm supposed to be up everyday at 0615 for my paper round (everyday of the week) but its more like 0645 and out for 7. I get back about 0720 then have to get ready for school and leave here about 0750. I get back for around 1550 and then may go to work if in or just chill and then go to bed around 0100 if not a little before and that is everyday of the week. If I am on an early on Sunday mornings at 0600 i'm up for around 0515.

When it comes to the holidays I go back to bed but hopefully when I have saved up a little more money I quit the papers and just keep the job on in the shop so I will be able to spend another hour plus in bed.

Scrubbs
30-01-2005, 19:57
I dont have a routine as such because i work away from home, where the shift system can be 6to 6 days/nights or 12 to 12 days/nights or a couple of days of 8am till whenever we have finished, 5pm till 2am BUT I can also sleep for 12 hours if I have to:D
when I am home i tend to go to bed about 2am and get up at 10ish if I haven't got any chores (what chores? ) mines a pint fnarrr:D )so I would guess I am a night owl

Tezcatlipoca
30-01-2005, 23:22
I generally go to bed anywhere from midnight to 2am most nights, despite having to get up at 8am Mon to Fri for work.

Never been able to do the whole "early night" thing. Just feels like I've wasted the night if I go to bed early. Plus, on the odd occaision I do try & go to bed early, it always seems to take me a good couple of hours or more to get to sleep.

Don't really get too knackered during the week, despite late nights & early mornings. Quite used to it, plus I catch up with a lot of sleep at the weekend!

Nikko
30-01-2005, 23:41
Morning everyone!

This is an interesting thread, and as soon as I have had my cornflakes I will be back to continue the discussion.

Xaccers
30-01-2005, 23:46
Jammy git Xaccers, really want to get into airsofting.

I'm more a night person.. working earlies (5.30am) destroyed that though.. but now i've changed jobs, I tend to be up until ~4am.. sleep till 10-11ish.

What's stopping you? :D
Had a great time today, totally shattered and aching all over, but it was worth it!
Have to be up at 6am for work :(

So air softing is like paint balling huh ?

Yup, with 6mm plastic pellets known as BB's
Unlike paintball, it doesn't hurt so much when you get hit, the guns are replica, and much more accurate :)

Halcyon
31-01-2005, 00:21
Oh right, coool. Have fun.

Well another late night starting for me. I have tonnes to do.
Its like there is never enough time for everything.

Nugget
31-01-2005, 12:49
<snip>sometimes I'm even nearly awake, when I get there ;)

You little liar ;) :p:

I get up at anything from 6:30 (for a leisurely getting ready) to 7:30 (for a tanking it round the house like my @rse is on fire!).

It's rare that I go to bed before 12:30 - 1 -depends how much beer I've got left (and whether I want to wake Mrs Nug up by being a noisy, hiccupping drunk or not ;) )

Halcyon
31-01-2005, 13:07
I manged to wake up at 7.00am today....somehow.
I guess the word "deadline" for work to hand in kind of had something to do with it.

Millay
31-01-2005, 13:20
Intersting I am historically a night owl, but I know run my own business and after getting a lot of stick from my housemates, (i used to get up at around 9.30 10 am to start work) I thought I would try this early rising stuff. I know get up at 7am have a cup of tea and am sat at my desk by 7:30am working. I feel so much better for it, some times i even fall asleep before midnight. It has pretty much changed my life by changing my sleep patern, and I am much more productive....

Try it for a month you could be amazed..

Plonking
31-01-2005, 14:05
has anybody tried to be like leonardo da vinci and stay awake for 2 hours, then sleep for 15mins, then stay awake for another 2 hrs, then sleep for 15mins... and never break that cycle? Apparently it warped his mind and made him a creative genius who was really productive!!

P

Stuart
31-01-2005, 14:33
I generally go to bed anywhere from midnight to 2am most nights, despite having to get up at 8am Mon to Fri for work.

Never been able to do the whole "early night" thing. Just feels like I've wasted the night if I go to bed early. Plus, on the odd occaision I do try & go to bed early, it always seems to take me a good couple of hours or more to get to sleep.

Don't really get too knackered during the week, despite late nights & early mornings. Quite used to it, plus I catch up with a lot of sleep at the weekend!

Same here, although I have to be up at 7...

Halcyon
31-01-2005, 14:38
has anybody tried to be like leonardo da vinci and stay awake for 2 hours, then sleep for 15mins, then stay awake for another 2 hrs, then sleep for 15mins... and never break that cycle? Apparently it warped his mind and made him a creative genius who was really productive!!

P

Nope never tried it and probably never would. Sounds like a complete nightmare.

Chris
31-01-2005, 14:49
I saw a documentary once in which a man was put in a room with no windows, no clocks and no TV or radio. He had access to as many CDs as he wanted, and books, but nothing that he could readily use to measure the passing of time. He was able to eat and sleep whenever he chose.

Eventually his natural, internal clock had him waking, eating and sleeping completely out of sync with the world outside. I can't remember whethe his own internal 'day' was more or less than 24 hours, but IIRC the conclusion was that everyone's own clock is different.

I am one of those long-day people who would go to bed and get up again progressively later, given the chance. That said, the caveat is that fatherhood is a guaranteed cure for being a night owl :erm: Having a baby fixed my body clock good and proper, I finally regained the discipline of going to bed at bedtime, instead of in the middle of the night - a skill I had while at school but lost very quickly at university.

The boy is getting older now, but now I live further from the office so I have to be up early for the drive. It's probably for the best, we have another one on the way, so come June, sleep depravation will be mine once more. :D

Halcyon
31-01-2005, 15:00
This could be interesting:

DOCUMENTARY: How to Sleep... Better
Channel: BBC 1
Date: Wednesday 2nd February 2005
Time: 20:00 to 21:30
Duration: 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Interactive special hosted by Professor Robert Winston finding out about the nation's sleeping patterns. 100 poor sleepers are put through a series of tests that can be followed at home, plus there's practical tips to help us all sleep better. Also, the results of one of the UK's most comprehensive sleep surveys ever, and a look at six of the most common sleep complaints - from snoring to screaming toddlers.
(Widescreen, Subtitles)

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.digiguide.com. Copyright ©1999-2004 GipsyMedia

Chris
31-01-2005, 15:02
This could be interesting:

DOCUMENTARY: How to Sleep... Better
Channel: BBC 1
Date: Wednesday 2nd February 2005
Time: 20:00 to 21:30
Duration: 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Interactive special hosted by Professor Robert Winston finding out about the nation's sleeping patterns. 100 poor sleepers are put through a series of tests that can be followed at home, plus there's practical tips to help us all sleep better. Also, the results of one of the UK's most comprehensive sleep surveys ever, and a look at six of the most common sleep complaints - from snoring to screaming toddlers.
(Widescreen, Subtitles)

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.digiguide.com. Copyright ©1999-2004 GipsyMedia

How to sleep better: Watch any BBC documentary fronted by Robert Winston. :zzz:

Graham
31-01-2005, 20:09
I saw a documentary once in which a man was put in a room with no windows, no clocks and no TV or radio.

Eventually his natural, internal clock had him waking, eating and sleeping completely out of sync with the world outside. I can't remember whethe his own internal 'day' was more or less than 24 hours, but IIRC the conclusion was that everyone's own clock is different.

IIRC from documentaries I've seen on the subject, people tend to extend to a 25 or so hour day.