PDA

View Full Version : Samsung cable modem on Business problem

g6lij
28-01-2005, 23:49
Hi,

I have been trying to get a mentor cable router to work on a new business samsung connection.

If i connect a pc direct to cable modem it works fine and picks up an IP in the 82. range.
When i connect the router in and go in to status page it always shows an IP of 10.254.254.101 and a gateway of 10.254.254.254.
There is no connection after this, although the router has updated the time sync and is connected.
I have tried re powering the router and leaving the modem off for a few hours and forcingthe router to renew the dhcp lease. nothing.

The modem seems to allocate IP's from dhcp. I connected the modem into a standard hub port and this works in a fasion. 3 different PC's worked and were allocated 10.254.254.102 / 103 & 104 respectively.

Any Ideas??

Support guy suggested taking a static IP would cure it I'm not convinced.
The router works fine straight onto my network at home, motorola modem!

Dennis Chilton

Toto
29-01-2005, 00:51
If the router supports MAC address spoofing, change the MAC address of the router to match the MAC address of the network card of the PC you connected the Samsung mdem too.

AND

Welcome to the site :welcome:

Raistlin
29-01-2005, 02:30
:welcome:

Have you tried re-booting the modem?

Toto
29-01-2005, 11:08
:welcome:

Have you tried re-booting the modem?

I think he turned the modem off at some point :)

rdhw
29-01-2005, 13:23
I have been trying to get a mentor cable router to work on a new business samsung connection.
If i connect a pc direct to cable modem it works fine and picks up an IP in the 82. range.
When i connect the router in and go in to status page it always shows an IP of 10.254.254.101 and a gateway of 10.254.254.254.The router is a different device to the original PC, so you need to re-register this new device on your account. These IP addresses show that the NTL system is waiting for you to do this: they are just enough to give you a connection to the registration server. If you launch a web browser from an attached PC, and send it to a simple address such as http://start.ntl/ then that should start the registration process. You will need your original welcome letter with PIN numbers etc.

Alternatively, clone the MAC address of the WAN port of the router to be the same as the MAC address of the PC that was previously registered on your account.

g6lij
29-01-2005, 13:55
If the router supports MAC address spoofing, change the MAC address of the router to match the MAC address of the network card of the PC you connected the Samsung mdem too.

AND

Welcome to the site :welcome:

Yes , done that!

yes, done that!

Yes have turned off modem for number of hours, have cloned MAC of PC that was used to set up connection and registration.

You dont get a letter any more they do it over the phone now, i presume thats for the business side.

It appears that the business / samsung cable modem is different from my NTL:HOME motorola package.
If i connect PC's it is allocating IP's via DHCP which must be messing up with router DHCP. (cant turn off router DHCP)
Is there a staus screen for samsung modem like motorola ?

Toto
29-01-2005, 14:00
Yes , done that!

yes, done that!

Yes have turned off modem for number of hours, have cloned MAC of PC that was used to set up connection and registration.

You dont get a letter any more they do it over the phone now, i presume thats for the business side.

It appears that the business / samsung cable modem is different from my NTL:HOME motorola package.
If i connect PC's it is allocating IP's via DHCP which must be messing up with router DHCP. (cant turn off router DHCP)
Is there a staus screen for samsung modem like motorola ?

ntl don't supply motorola modems for residential users anymore, and I'm not sure if the samsung modem has the same style oh html settings page, but it is likely :)

The router is a different device to the original PC, so you need to re-register this new device on your account. These IP addresses show that the NTL system is waiting for you to do this: they are just enough to give you a connection to the registration server. If you launch a web browser from an attached PC, and send it to a simple address such as http://start.ntl/ then that should start the registration process. You will need your original welcome letter with PIN numbers etc.

Alternatively, clone the MAC address of the WAN port of the router to be the same as the MAC address of the PC that was previously registered on your account.

LOL, I actually gave some advice that may have worked, bloomin ada, I think I'll have a celebratory coffee :)

g6lij
30-01-2005, 21:39
anybody have the status screen access settings?

Toto
30-01-2005, 23:23
anybody have the status screen access settings?

Post the model number, and I will try and find out for you.

Chris W
30-01-2005, 23:25
if the access to the config page is the same as the ambit modems, it is

http://192.168.100.1/

username: root (or admin)
password: root (or admin)

g6lij
12-02-2005, 17:40
Right Guys,

Got this working now here is the solution.

Business system must use different servers etc and different management etc.

The standard package does not work with router!
You have to purchase a static IP package, £10 one off charge to setup.
This taggs the cable modem onto a different package that allows a router instead of a single PC.
Once this is setup (4days ish)
You ring Business essentials and they reset account to new type and give you a new user and password combination for Static Account side.
You then connect single original PC up to cable modem and goto
https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi/acorn
you follow screen forms and register with new user name and password
It gives you the static Ip at end.
You then turn off PC & cable modem and then connect router in line and re boot everything, you then re run the autoreg page and follow same page again.
At the end of this wizard it reboots cable modem and hey presto it works!! just as it always has done on NTLHome.
Modem is Samsung SCR-140 and i have now found a manual for it.

Thanks Guys.