PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS Released in UK on 11th March 2005

bob_builder
28-01-2005, 12:27
Nintendo announced that this innovative new console will be available to buy in the UK on 11 March at the estimated retail price of around £99 and will be supported by a strong software line up of 15 games:
http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/news/article.do?elementId=XFMrx_iGHnM_Qvjt6j4Fp7OQDDhR1 EmB

If you are really eager you can get yours early for only 1000 stars and £129.99 for the VIP Pak:
http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/news/article.do?elementId=GVceyZ1jrIvrgYiUFnPTVW8WXyhy7 ST1

TheBlueRaja
28-01-2005, 12:38
You can get one NOW for £99 from Importmadness (http://www.importmadness.co.uk/cgi-bin/prod?Item_Number=230000) the only catch is that customs MIGHT charge you VAT.

There is no region coding on the DS remember.

You will need to buy an adapter for charging, (which they can also supply) but thats nothing and if you have a Gameboy Adv you can use the cable from that apparently.

Stephen
28-01-2005, 12:47
Nintendo announced that this innovative new console will be available to buy in the UK on 11 March at the estimated retail price of around £99 and will be supported by a strong software line up of 15 games:
http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/news/article.do?elementId=XFMrx_iGHnM_Qvjt6j4Fp7OQDDhR1 EmB

If you are really eager you can get yours early for only 1000 stars and £129.99 for the VIP Pak:
http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/news/article.do?elementId=GVceyZ1jrIvrgYiUFnPTVW8WXyhy7 ST1

I have mine reserved through the stars VIP site. Just awaiting an email so I can call them to pay for it. Should get it before the 11 march too. They seem to be hoping that the 3000 that get them this way will spread the word about it. Was thinking of leaving the DS and just getting a PSP from the USA when I am out there in April but when I found out about the offer from ninty I thought why not.

TigaSefi
28-01-2005, 13:00
i done my Stars VIP DS order too, just need to make a call to Nintendo now when I get paid next week.

TheBlueRaja
28-01-2005, 13:00
What the hell are stars and how would you get them?

bob_builder
28-01-2005, 13:19
What the hell are stars and how would you get them?
Stars are like an online Nintendo loyalty card. You get them when you buy Nintendo stuff, like 250 for a game 1000 for a Gamecube, etc..

dr wadd
28-01-2005, 13:31
I have mine reserved through the stars VIP site. Just awaiting an email so I can call them to pay for it. Should get it before the 11 march too. They seem to be hoping that the 3000 that get them this way will spread the word about it. Was thinking of leaving the DS and just getting a PSP from the USA when I am out there in April but when I found out about the offer from ninty I thought why not.

I phoned them up about an hour ago but they are not starting to process payments until Monday, which is a tad annoying. At least I've had the e-mail to confirm that it has been reserved.

Stars are like an online Nintendo loyalty card. You get them when you buy Nintendo stuff, like 250 for a game 1000 for a Gamecube, etc..

It's annoying that you can`t register a product twice, even if you have a legitimate need for more than one of that item. Because I'd registered the bongos that came with my Donkey Konga bundle it now won`t let me register and drums bought separately.

TigaSefi
28-01-2005, 13:36
Nintendo should have realised that u can't put in duplicate stars for bongos in the first place.

Stephen
28-01-2005, 14:26
[QUOTE=dr wadd]I phoned them up about an hour ago but they are not starting to process payments until Monday, which is a tad annoying. At least I've had the e-mail to confirm that it has been reserved.
QUOTE]

I don't mind that at all as I get paid on monday so will have plenty of cash to spare.

Stephen
28-01-2005, 17:50
Just got home and checked my email. It says that once payment is recieved your pak should be posted within 48hrs!! So Imight have it by next weekend if that is correct.

kronas
28-01-2005, 18:42
i have physically seen a DS and played on a PSP and i can say the PSP is the better of the two, design, layout, the DS is very 'plastic' and feels as if its going to snap...

gameswise ridge racer looked very droolworthy, im not a mario fan so it just looked well.....kiddie :p:

Stephen
28-01-2005, 18:46
i have physically seen a DS and played on a PSP and i can say the PSP is the better of the two, design, layout, the DS is very 'plastic' and feels as if its going to snap...

gameswise ridge racer looked very droolworthy, im not a mario fan so it just looked well.....kiddie :p:

I know this thanks, was not gonna get one but I can get it a month before the rest of the uk so that is cool. As said prev gonna get a PSP from the States. Big game freak. got every console around at the moment.

TigaSefi
28-01-2005, 19:07
Couldn't u be ANY MORE predictable Kronas ? oh the PSP has a well known defect with it's button, also Sony won't replace it if u get a dead pixel while Nintendo will. Typical Sony money grabbing priorities.

Halcyon
29-01-2005, 01:12
For £129.99 you can currently get a limited DS but they are limited edition so if you want one get on the Nintendo site quickly.

You get all this:

Nintendo DS system
Super Mario 64 DS (pre-release version) (rated '3+')
Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt (Demo version) (rated '12+')**
Wario Ware Touched! (Demo version) (Rated '3+')
Exclusive Nintendo DS T-shirt
Personaly I think it is better than the PSP. Nintendo know the handheld gaming business and have done from day one. Sony are just beginners at this.
The DS seems to be dedicated to gaming whilst the PSP wants to bang in everything it can and will probably need loads of expensive little add on's to actually use the other features.
The PSP does look nice thuogh, although the retro Nintendo look is also good.
I think the DS has a wider choice of games and although the PSP will have some high end graphic launch titles, there won't be a big choice.
The best games aren't always graphics-intensive and thats where Nintendo seem to know what they are doing.
If I had the money right now, I'd certianly get myself one.

dr wadd
29-01-2005, 02:25
The DS seems to be dedicated to gaming whilst the PSP wants to bang in everything it can and will probably need loads of expensive little add on's to actually use the other features.

I've seen a friend's PSP and the main thing I found limiting about it was the lack of a hard drive. I know the DS doesn`t have a hard either, but then it doesn`t really need one. Given the fact that PSP can play movies that you've encoded yourself I don`t think the memory sticks cut it. I want portable video as well and since the PSP isn`t going to do that well enough for me it has slipped down the list of purchasing priorities, got an Archos AV480 instead with 80gig of storage :)

TigaSefi
29-01-2005, 12:14
Sounds like the PSP trying to be EVERYTHING but coming up short. I heard that it was gonna be able to be turned into a phone of some sort.

Halcyon
29-01-2005, 12:43
Oh dear, that would be a bad move.
Look at the N-Gage. That was a mega flop.

Stephen
29-01-2005, 12:46
there appears to be 657 left on the ninty site. If you have VIP status.

groover
29-01-2005, 22:57

so is this what big games companies are producing in reply to all the phone companies trying to turn their phones into games units? It seems like it is a new market, and a big one at that! What with nintendo making this and sony their Playstation ps is it? I guess the big phone companies want a slice of the gaming pie, hence the likes of nokia producing the qd and such?
wonder who will do the best?

LostintheNW
30-01-2005, 15:41
I've ordered mine! fingers crossed they will send them out straight away!!

Halcyon
30-01-2005, 16:35
I look forward to an indepth 50,000 word review from you then once you get it highlighting its various features. :)

Stephen
30-01-2005, 16:41
Well I certainly will be posting some info and pics once I recieve my shiny new DS.

LostintheNW
30-01-2005, 17:09
I look forward to an indepth 50,000 word review from you then once you get it highlighting its various features. :)

I shall try to keep it under 50,000 words ;)

TigaSefi
31-01-2005, 15:02
When u pay for it on the fone, it takes 4-6 days to ship. I had to send a cheque today so I might get it middle of next week to Friday of next week.

Halcyon
31-01-2005, 15:21
Thats cool yours will be arriving quite soon.
There is too much to buy at the moment.
There is like a whole 2 months where I have nothing to buy and then everything gets released at the same time.
Next on the list is Resident Evil 4 hopefully. I need like a million more Cube games at the moment.

TigaSefi
31-01-2005, 15:55
Make Resident Evil 4 the priority... shame most dunderheads won't buy a Gamecube just solely for this game though. It's the game of the generation.

Stephen
31-01-2005, 16:16
I might need to get Res 4 as soon as I can afford to, may even buy it when am over in florida to save a bit of cash. however I honestly have not played my cube in over a year. it is in a case in my wardrobe.

LostintheNW
31-01-2005, 18:29
Mines all paid for and should be here next week according to the guy on the phone....anyone know if we get any kind of confirmation that its been sent?

Stephen
31-01-2005, 18:31
Maybe call them on friday to check?? I will pay for mine tomorrow as NTL never paid me today.

Tezcatlipoca
31-01-2005, 18:41
Make Resident Evil 4 the priority... shame most dunderheads won't buy a Gamecube just solely for this game though. It's the game of the generation.

Oooh. RE4...might actually be the game to make me dust off the old 'Cube :D

LostintheNW
31-01-2005, 19:05
Maybe call them on friday to check?? I will pay for mine tomorrow as NTL never paid me today.

Think I will do, although would be good if they e-mailed to confirm!

That was nice of NTL to not pay you...hope you tell them you want refunding for any bounced DD's! (Thats if you were meant to be paid today that is)

Stephen
31-01-2005, 19:50
Yea I was meant to be paid today, they now tell me I should get paid tomorrow, lucky all my DDs come off after the 3rd of the month.

Stephen
01-02-2005, 11:45
Called this morning paid for it, and was told payment should be taken within 48hrs and I should receive the DS by the end of next week at the latest.

Halcyon
01-02-2005, 12:05
What games you getting with it ?

Stephen
01-02-2005, 13:02
Full copy of Marios 64 DS a demo of Metroid and demo of Wario Ware touch.

LostintheNW
01-02-2005, 19:36
Well the payment for mine has been taken! just a case of waiting for it to arrive now!

Halcyon
01-02-2005, 20:46
Coool. Mario 64 DS sounds quality. Plus Im sure Metroid will be good.

Stephen
01-02-2005, 20:49
Having seen videos and pics it certainly looks better than the N64 version. Really can't wait to get my hads on it. Was told today should have it by next weekend at the latest.

MadGamer
06-02-2005, 20:45
So what games are difinatly confirmed?

Stephen
06-02-2005, 20:55
These are the release titles on the 11 march. No sign of Ridge Racers though.
Super Mario 64 DS,
WarioWare Touched!,
PokÃÃâ€*’©mon Dash,
Polarium,
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR,
The URBZ: Sims in the City,
Spider-Man 2, Project Rub,
Mr. DRILLER: Drill Spirits,
Rayman DS,
Asphalt Urban GT,
Sprung: The Dating Game,
Zoo Keeper,
Ping Pals,
Robots

MadGamer
06-02-2005, 21:00
These are the release titles on the 11 march. No sign of Ridge Racers though.
Super Mario 64 DS,
WarioWare Touched!,
PokÃÃâ€*’©mon Dash,
Polarium,
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR,
The URBZ: Sims in the City,
Spider-Man 2, Project Rub,
Mr. DRILLER: Drill Spirits,
Rayman DS,
Asphalt Urban GT,
Sprung: The Dating Game,
Zoo Keeper,
Ping Pals,
Robots i was rather hoping for Mario Kart as well.

LostintheNW
06-02-2005, 21:47
Mario Kart is rumoured to be out this summer - it has been previewed at the show in Paris, complete with the wireless 8 player mode!

Stephen
07-02-2005, 09:23
Yes Mario Kart will be released in June/july maybe

Stephen
07-02-2005, 15:06
Just called nintendo to see when I can expect my DS, I was told that it has not been sent yet and maybe sent tomorrow. they apparently sent 160 on friday and 600 today, but she could not say if it would be sent in todays lot. So i should have it by thursday if it leaves tomorrow. will post pics when I get it.

MadGamer
07-02-2005, 16:05
Just called nintendo to see when I can expect my DS, I was told that it has not been sent yet and maybe sent tomorrow. they apparently sent 160 on friday and 600 today, but she could not say if it would be sent in todays lot. So i should have it by thursday if it leaves tomorrow. will post pics when I get it. Im definatly asking for one of these then.

Stephen
07-02-2005, 18:10
well after another call around 5pm was told that they did actually dispatch it today. so can now expect it on wednesday.

LostintheNW
07-02-2005, 18:31
Mines been sent today as well so should expect it Wednesday!

LostintheNW
08-02-2005, 09:00
Mine has just been delievered!!

Stephen
08-02-2005, 09:07
Wonder if I'll get mine today?????

Neil
08-02-2005, 09:11
Wonder if I'll get mine today?????

I thought I saw a post from you saying that you had yours? :erm:

TigaSefi
08-02-2005, 09:24
Mine should be sent today or tomorrow now the money has been taken out of my bank account.

Stephen
08-02-2005, 09:28
I thought I saw a post from you saying that you had yours? :erm:

Well I have had a few goes on one at the weekend. But I do technically have one, although not actually able to hold it right now. I have paid for it after all.

Just called nintendo to get a tracking number and according to parcel force it is in the National Depot. So no chance of getting it today. Was picked up from southhampton at 5.22pm last night.

Halcyon
08-02-2005, 11:02
Oh I bet you are tracking that parcel very closely.
Its so anoying when it ends up in a wareehouse somewhere...You just want it to arrive.
Hope you get it soon.

Stephen
08-02-2005, 11:30
Oh I bet you are tracking that parcel very closely.
Its so anoying when it ends up in a wareehouse somewhere...You just want it to arrive.
Hope you get it soon. Yet bet I am watching closely.

It is really annoying knowing it is so close. Just wish I could jump down there and get it right now.

LostintheNW
08-02-2005, 13:07
Have had a quick go of Mario on my lunch hour, its cool, different to the N64 version in that you start off playing Yoshi, while Mario, Luigi and Wario run off to find the stars and you have to chase them.

Graphics are better than the N64!!

Halcyon
08-02-2005, 16:14
Oh right thats interesting.
Yoshi is coool so thats briliant that the game starts with him.
How does the dual screen seem to be ? Fully used in all games ?

LostintheNW
08-02-2005, 18:24
Its used in the Mario game, you can use it to turn the camera around so yoshi can look in other directions, it also shows you the location of the star you need to get to, used to deal with the in game options as well, plus you can draw pictures in Mario with it! I only had a quick go but will be playing more tonight....haven't tried the two demo games yet, was shocked at the size of the cards though for the machine, they are soooo tiny!! yet they come in huge boxes!

Just played a quick go of Wario Ware Touched and Metroid....Wario Ware is fun its used by touching the touch screen with the sylus to complete various mini games, such as unrolling bog roll! and using a statue to pee out a fire on a mountain.

Metorid is excellent, the in game graphics are amazing! have to say they do look like the gamecubes! bit tricky to get used to the controls although this could be the way they are set at default, you have to use the stylus on the touch screen to turn Samus around and aim up or down with your gun, you also have to double tap the screen to make her jump as well - I will have to check if this can be changed in the options though.

T-shirt is naff but hey its free, will never be worn!

Stephen
09-02-2005, 10:42
Well checked parcel force site and it was delivered this morning. sadly I am at work and it is at home. so will be a long day to day waiting to get home to play it.

LostintheNW
09-02-2005, 13:11
Well checked parcel force site and it was delivered this morning. sadly I am at work and it is at home. so will be a long day to day waiting to get home to play it.

Throw a sickie!!! bet you can't wait to get home and start playing on it though - I have brought mine to work again this morning and been playing it before I started work

Have fun!

Stephen
09-02-2005, 13:27
Throw a sickie!!! bet you can't wait to get home and start playing on it though - I have brought mine to work again this morning and been playing it before I started work

Have fun!

If it had turned up before I left for work might have done just that.:rolleyes: Ireally can't wait to et home only 4 hrs to go.

Stephen
09-02-2005, 18:38
well I been playin since I got home and its great here are a couple of pics of the machine and stuff I got with the VIP pack.

LostintheNW
09-02-2005, 19:02
What do you think of warioware? I havent stopped playing the thing its soooo addictive

Stephen
09-02-2005, 19:19
Its so addictive. think I will buy it next week as it out in the USA on the 14th I think. I have really got the hang of playing Metroid with the touch screen. Those controls are perfect for fps games.

bob_builder
10-02-2005, 11:17
What do you think of warioware? I havent stopped playing the thing its soooo addictive
Agreed! It is the best of the 3 games - even my wife is addicted to it and she does not like video games!

Its so addictive. think I will buy it next week as it out in the USA on the 14th I think.
Does the full Warioware have a multiplayer option and if so will a US verion work with a UK version or will it be like Metroid?

Stephen
10-02-2005, 12:23
Agreed! It is the best of the 3 games - even my wife is addicted to it and she does not like video games!

Does the full Warioware have a multiplayer option and if so will a US verion work with a UK version or will it be like Metroid?

Not sure if it does have multiplayer but if it does it should work with the UK version.

TigaSefi
21-02-2005, 09:28
i have so brought the US version of Wario Touched! it so amazing and it's on a demo. Apparently there lots more to do in the full version. my gf and her brother were up till 2am playing it and it lasted so far about 9 hours on a single charge....(sniggers at PSP "battery") I guess someone just hasn't got the kiddie in him. My gf is 38 and I am 30 and her brother is 41 I think heh.... I might even buy a second one too after trading in my GBA SP.

Stephen
21-02-2005, 09:42
I ordered the US Warioware which should be turning up this week. The demo is great but I could not wait to get the full game. Also bought Feel the magic which has some crazy games(such as shouting at the machine to get a girls attention, blowing at the screen to move a sail boat). Got Tiger woods golf as well which is ok but not great.

TigaSefi
21-02-2005, 09:51
Heh I think mainly the games that provide short burst of fun will suit the DS much better than let's say a full blown RPG or Metroid Prime game. I even thought that Mario 64 DS wasn't that good (mini games are class though).

Halcyon
21-02-2005, 12:09
Wow !!!
Those pics of the DS look great.

Mini games in all games are great.... look at all of them there were in Super monkey ball on the Cube. Lots of fun.

TigaSefi
21-02-2005, 13:01
yeah super monkey ball with the stylus gonna work so well..... I hope they think of bringing it on the DS. I brought it to work, and everyone loved it.

Neil
21-02-2005, 20:09
Good deal?

Free Essentials kit when you pre-order this DS console.

Protective carry case.

Car power adapter.

Games cartridge storage case.

Safe lens shields.

3 Stylus.

Stereo earphones.

Wrist strap.

Soft cleaning cloth.

£24.99 if bought seperately. :erm:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=132164&clickfrom=name

TigaSefi
22-02-2005, 09:02
It ok but no games bundles with it ? it a bit redundant ? Aren't there deals with games ? I haven't really looked since I already got one.

Stephen
22-02-2005, 09:39
My full version of Warioware came this morning. It is fantastic. So much better than the demo. Some of the games are just mental.

dilli-theclaw
02-05-2005, 19:27
I read that the DS is compatible with gba games. Can it also play original GB carts?

I've only got a couple of these (xenon II and r-type 2) but it would be nice if I could play them on the DS when I get one.

Stephen
02-05-2005, 19:35
I read that the DS is compatible with gba games. Can it also play original GB carts?

I've only got a couple of these (xenon II and r-type 2) but it would be nice if I could play them on the DS when I get one.

It can only play the GBA games.

Have to say my DS does not get a lot of use now as I bought a PSP a few weeks ago, it is amazing compared to the DS, although I still think the DS is quite good as it is different.

dilli-theclaw
02-05-2005, 19:40
It can only play the GBA games.

Have to say my DS does not get a lot of use now as I bought a PSP a few weeks ago, it is amazing compared to the DS, although I still think the DS is quite good as it is different.

I think I'll end up with both to be honest ;):)

p.s. Thanks for that btw.

Graham M
02-05-2005, 19:46
Ive had a go on both and I have to say the PSP is far superior, the DS is like a poorly designed/built Kids toy! The only thing the DS has over the PSP is the clamshell design.

dilli-theclaw
02-05-2005, 19:52
Ive had a go on both and I have to say the PSP is far superior, the DS is like a poorly designed/built Kids toy! The only thing the DS has over the PSP is the clamshell design.

I'm not sure where I could get one (psp) here at the moment without spending silly money.

Graham M
02-05-2005, 19:54
My mate bought his on eBay with 1 game for £160. Came from Hong Kong.

dilli-theclaw
02-05-2005, 19:57
My mate bought his on eBay with 1 game for £160. Came from Hong Kong.

I'm getting very OT now (as this is a DS thread :)) - but I just found this page
http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?category=218&likref=_google_pspuk

Looks ok. I may see about getting one from there.

TigaSefi
02-05-2005, 23:22
if u buy a psp overseas and it got a dead pixel, ur fuX0r3d. Be warned.

Stephen
02-05-2005, 23:27
if u buy a psp overseas and it got a dead pixel, ur fuX0r3d. Be warned.

so, Sony USA have said they will not be replacing machines with dead pixels anyway. so it doesn't really matter.

You might find www.videogamesplus.ca cheaper to buy the PSP from also they will mark the package so you do not get hit by tax and customs charges!! I have bought a few DS games from there and they marked them as books worth £5 no tax charges. Lik-sang don't do that. Be warned.

but it depends if you want a US or Jap machine as the US is region 1 and Jap is region 2 like we are if you want to buy UMD movies.

back on topic now, sorry.

dilli-theclaw
05-05-2005, 08:42
Ok so I'm gonna get both! :)

I'll get a DS for now and a PSP in september.

I quite fancy Mario 64 DS to go with it.

Is it any good?

p.s. I'm off out in about 1hour to get it :)

TigaSefi
05-05-2005, 08:45
Yes it is very good once u get used to the new way of controlling it. Get Warioware too and it'll keep you entertained till Nintendogs comes out.

dilli-theclaw
05-05-2005, 08:48
Yes it is very good once u get used to the new way of controlling it. Get Warioware too and it'll keep you entertained till Nintendogs comes out.

I was going to get zelda minish cap as well (I do like my zelda games). As mario I mean. I'll have to see how far funds stretch :)

TigaSefi
05-05-2005, 09:14
Ok, GBA carts game seem to work better on the DS due to the wider build, it not so cramp etc.

dilli-theclaw
05-05-2005, 13:03
I got one from toys r us in the end. It came with rayman and project rub. I also bought mario 64. It came with some screen protectors and a case as well.

Just charging it up now :)

TigaSefi
05-05-2005, 14:38
Gotta be charged for 12 hours no ?

dilli-theclaw
05-05-2005, 14:43
Gotta be charged for 12 hours no ?

MMMmmm no idea - I guess I shoulda read the manual :)

anyway I just had a quick go on the metroid demo while it's charging and I was quite impressed with it. I'm not sure about the idea of using the thumb pad thing to look around but it does seem to work quite well.

I'm on a night shift tonight so I'm going to play it some more when I get to work :)

MadGamer
08-05-2005, 16:36
Just bought one of these off of Ebay for £150, being imported from Hong Kong, BRAND NEW!!!!

Items Include:

Choice of 10 Games:
(7 That i have chosen)

Mario Kart Super Circuit
Ice Age
Super Mario Advance
Monopoly
NFS: Porsche Unleashed
Shrek: Hassle At The Castle
V - Rally 3

All The usual Accessories plus

Headphones: Black
Neck String: Silver

Stephen
08-05-2005, 17:22
Just bought one of these off of Ebay for £150, being imported from Hong Kong, BRAND NEW!!!!

Items Include:

Choice of 10 Games:
(7 That i have chosen)

Mario Kart Super Circuit
Ice Age
Super Mario Advance
Monopoly
V - Rally 3

what have you bought?

MadGamer
08-05-2005, 18:02

Items Include:

Choice of 10 Games:
(7 That i have chosen)

Mario Kart Super Circuit
Ice Age
Super Mario Advance
Monopoly
V - Rally 3

what have you bought? Nintendo DS, sorry should have stated that the console was included.

Stephen
08-05-2005, 20:12
Nintendo DS, sorry should have stated that the console was included.

Its just that all those games seem to be for the GBA.

MadGamer
08-05-2005, 20:32
Nintendo DS, sorry should have stated that the console was included.

Its just that all those games seem to be for the GBA. Oh i know, but they'll still play on the DS wont they?

Tezcatlipoca
08-05-2005, 20:52
Oh i know, but they'll still play on the DS wont they?

Yes, they will work on the DS.

Although I think you've got a pretty poor deal, there!

£150 for a DS, plus some old GBA games??!!!!!

Out of that list of games, Mario Kart Super Circuit is the only one I'd class as any good. The first Mario Advance is not a patch on the others (it's a port of the relatively crap - for a Mario game - Super Mario 2 from the NES.). Mario Advance 2 & 3 are much better (ports of Super Mario World & Super Mario 3 respectively). As for the other games....nothing special at all. And getting a DS seems a bit pointless if you don't have any DS games.

You can get a DS here in the UK for under £100. DS games are fairly cheap. Old GBA games like you listed are even cheaper.

Have a look here...

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/plat_shop.asp?platform=NDS

You could get a DS console, Mario 64 (DS), & Wario Ware (DS) for roughly what you paid to get a DS plus some old GBA games. Then, you could pre-order Mario Kart (DS), which is due out in July, rather than having the good, but not as good, Mario Kart (GBA). Although if you did want the GBA version of MK, & maybe the Mario Advance games, you could get them second hand very cheaply.