PDA

View Full Version : Tired of Junk Mail?

MadGamer
28-01-2005, 10:01
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/

The MPS says it can remove your name from up to 95% of direct mail lists. But it will not stop mail that has been sent from overseas, un-addressed material or mail which is simply addressed to The Occupier.

Source: MSN (http://money.msn.co.uk/mymoney/insight/specialfeatures/pennywise/ridjunkmail/default.asp)

Electrolyte01
28-01-2005, 10:04
Don't need it. GMail has a spam filter and so does BlueBottle.

Russ
28-01-2005, 10:06

Clue: nowhere does it mention spam..... ;)

danielf
28-01-2005, 10:07

I think this is about snail mail, not email :)

Electrolyte01
Clue: nowhere does it mention spam..... ;)

Junk and spam are the same thing?

Russ
Read the first post again...carefully ;) :D

Electrolyte01

*sighs*

I've only just got up, leave me alone :erm: :angel:

danielf
28-01-2005, 10:09
*sighs*

Hey, you do the crime, you do the time... :p: ;)

Halcyon
29-01-2005, 02:02
LOL

//start rant.exe

But has your postman been as yet ?
I was very annoyed this morning to find no mail at 10am.
Instead it came at 2.30pm.
Grrrrr !!!

//End rant.exe

Cant stand junk mail so anything to reduce it has to be a good thing.
The amount of paper wasted in junk mail too. What a loss of trees.

MovedGoalPosts
29-01-2005, 02:25
*sighs*

Unfortunately your digging hole avatar sums up the foot in mouth conclusion of you intiatial posting. Live by the sword ..... :dozey:

This MPS thing does work for snail mail junk. I get virtually nothing that is specifically addressed.

What now bugs me is the number of organisations that bypass MPS by getting Royal Mail posties to deliver junk to every house in a street. :mad: I don't want it, never asked for it, don't open it, just throw it straight in the bin. What a waste of resources. :disturbd:

edit:
There is also TPS to get rid of phone sales type calls and FPS for fax junk.

Russ
29-01-2005, 09:40
What now bugs me is the number of organisations that bypass MPS by getting Royal Mail posties to deliver junk to every house in a street. :mad: I don't want it, never asked for it, don't open it, just throw it straight in the bin. What a waste of resources. :disturbd:

Do what I do - quickly pick it up, open the door and give it back to them :D

JohnHorb
29-01-2005, 09:44
Possibly the fact this is in the 'Internet' section is causing some confusion?

Tezcatlipoca
29-01-2005, 17:19
Possibly the fact this is in the 'Internet' section is causing some confusion?

Good point. Moved to "Lifestyle", seeing as it isn't actually related to the Internet.

There's also the "TPS", which you can register with to try & cut down on the number of unsolicited phone calls you receive -

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Earl of Bronze
29-01-2005, 17:27
Do what I do - quickly pick it up, open the door and give it back to them :D

Got a better one for you Russ, if the junk mail includes a pre-paid envilope, tear of youre name and address and post all their junk back to them. Just binning the pre-paid envalope means the company sending it to you doesnt have to pay for it, but sending them back, with all their annoying crap, eats into their profits. :devsmoke:

Russ
29-01-2005, 17:34
Better than that - tippex out the address on the envelope and use it next time you need to send a letter - it's pre-paid so you don't have put a stamp on it. Try it yourself by sending it to your own address - nice of the junkmail companies to pay for your mail :)

danielf
29-01-2005, 17:38
<snip>with all their annoying crap <snip>

Capital One deliver two new pens to our house every other month :)

Earl of Bronze
29-01-2005, 18:48
Better than that - tippex out the address on the envelope and use it next time you need to send a letter - it's pre-paid so you don't have put a stamp on it. Try it yourself by sending it to your own address - nice of the junkmail companies to pay for your mail :)

A brilliantly devious idea, but I so enjoy sending companies back their junk. :D

Now I'm getting conflicted. :(

Maggy
29-01-2005, 19:01
I've signed up to TPS and I no longer get ever lasting phone calls from the utilities asking/demanding I change allegiances.I also signed up to MPS and I get less junk mail. :tu:

I would do so with spam but thay do not provide this service as yet.What would be even better is if they did provide a service against persistant doorsteppers especially those from the utilities. ;)

daxx
29-01-2005, 19:31
<snipped>What would be even better is if they did provide a service against persistant doorsteppers especially those from the utilities. ;)

Easy this one, pretend to be your next door neighbours (shrug shoulders, wave hands and mutter "no english me"), whilst hurtling gobbledygook at whoever else is in the house or down the telephone :D

luftys
29-01-2005, 20:28
Capital One deliver two new pens to our house every other month :)
I like Capital 1 :Yikes: the sticker flags are just the right size for the soldiers I make

Theodoric
29-01-2005, 22:18
<Snip>
<Snip>
I think we've had one or two of those recently. Does anyone know what happens if you complain to Royal Mail about it?

Paul
29-01-2005, 23:23
Better than that - tippex out the address on the envelope and use it next time you need to send a letter - it's pre-paid so you don't have put a stamp on it. Try it yourself by sending it to your own address - nice of the junkmail companies to pay for your mail :)Isn't that illegal ?

littld
29-01-2005, 23:41
If you tell Royal Mail to stop delivering junk mail they will. I put my address on MPS and told Royal Mail about it. The reason the post delivery staff do it is they get 1p for each leaflet they deliver. But if you ask they will stop. I now never get junk mail or junk phonecalls (I used TPS as well).

carlingman
30-01-2005, 04:05
Got a better one for you Russ, if the junk mail includes a pre-paid envilope, tear of youre name and address and post all their junk back to them. Just binning the pre-paid envalope means the company sending it to you doesnt have to pay for it, but sending them back, with all their annoying crap, eats into their profits. :devsmoke:

Have to say I am with Earl on this one as I usually remove anything that identifys myself and then cut their stuff into shreds and post it back to them in the prepaid envelope.

Just imagine the face of the person that opens it thinking they have got a sale or new customer.

Some times works better if you weight the envelope a little bit to take it over the maxumum postage weight.

I will leave it up to you what you put in it.

:D

Russ
30-01-2005, 08:04
Isn't that illegal ?

:shrug: I've been doing it for over 10 years now and no-one's ever said anything to me. I've not read anything anywhere which suggests it IS illegal...