PDA

View Full Version : Account removed with no explanation

g.cogman
26-01-2005, 22:34
Please forgive me if I'm a bit annoyed.

Thursday last week (the 20th) I find myself unable to connect as usual. (I'm on straight broadband.) Well, fine, think I, perhaps ntl is having one of those occasional little lapses into downtime. Especially as I'm in the Southampton area. I decide to leave it.

Friday to Sunday I'm off in Leeds, flathunting. (Job is moving and I must move with it.)

Sunday evening I get back to my computer. Internet is still down. I borrow the other computer in the house (which is on bt broadband) and find I cannot even access my email via the ntlworld website.

Monday I manage to phone ntl's support line. They inform me that my broadband account and email have been cancelled. After stopping my hysterical shrieks of shock, I politely inquire what can be done about this. They put me through to Customer Services. 8pm arrives before I get off the waiting queue. No luck Monday night.

Tuesday I try phoning Customer Services first. After taking my name and password, they assure me that it will be fixed within half an hour. An hour later, I phone broadband support. Nope, still no account.

(I note that ntl have not cancelled my phone line or cable tv. I suppose I should be grateful for small mercies.)

Wednesday (today) I do a bit of illegal phoning from my workplace during the lunch break. (I'd previously been phoning in the evening, because I have an 8.45am - 5pm work day, and don't get home till around 6pm at the earliest. This doesn't leave me much time to sit on the ntl phone queue.) I get a nice human-sounding listener who says that yes, I have apparently had my account cancelled, no, she doesn't know why, and I'll have to talk to her boss before it can be reconnected. She takes my work and home phone numbers. She says she'll put it in an urgent email to him.

9.37pm here, and still no contact from her boss, and still no internet. (I am again on the Other Computer.)

You know, this is really rather frustrating.

(Understatement used in an attempt to avoid swearing a lot.)

quadplay
26-01-2005, 23:35
Hi, and :welcome: to the forum.

Whereabouts in the country are you?

Doofy
27-01-2005, 00:03
Had the very same thing happen to me account cancelled for no reason and no explanation actually took me 2 weeks to get it put back on, and they billed me for the period i was off as well. When ui rang NTL and explained they had cancelled my account and i was not connected they said the had no record and i was still liable for the bill, needless to say i ended up paying it.

danielf
27-01-2005, 00:21
Had the very same thing happen to me account cancelled for no reason and no explanation actually took me 2 weeks to get it put back on, and they billed me for the period i was off as well. When ui rang NTL and explained they had cancelled my account and i was not connected they said the had no record and i was still liable for the bill, needless to say i ended up paying it.

You've got to be joking... :shocked:

hairy_mick
27-01-2005, 00:22
I lost my broadband rang tec support and they said modem had been taken off the system and they could not put it back on and mine is a staff account had to ring CS it was then local teesside, sadly its no longer here they turned it back on but gave no reason why it got took off. Good luck with getting it back on m8

Doofy
27-01-2005, 00:28
You've got to be joking... :shocked:

Nope seriously not joking i ended up paying for the 2 weeks it was taken off the system, Wasnt happy about it but reasoned it was easier to pay it than argue the point with them.

Halcyon
27-01-2005, 00:55
Sometimes its impossible to win isnt. Life sucks when its like that.
Good luck in getting connected again.

Keytops
27-01-2005, 02:02
I've had the same thing happen to me. Twice to be exact. Had to ring NTL, endure their hourly waiting time only to be told my account was suppended (I think that's what they said, to be honest I could hardly understand a word they were saying). They told me to ring the accounts department who confirmed my account was suspended, but had no idea why. They did manage to reconnect me within a few minutes though, but its annoying that no reason for the suspension was given.

g.cogman
27-01-2005, 09:44
I'm in Southampton, which is why I thought at first it was just one of those periodic outages. (Started on Videotron, so I know about those network problems. :P)

Thanks for the support, guys. Hope I'll be back on soon. I wouldn't even make _that_ much of a fuss if they'd just let me on. I miss being able to work online in the evenings. Not to mention wondering how many emails I'm missing because they took away my email address.

Oh well.