PDA

View Full Version : Some help please?

Jerrek
01-09-2003, 19:24
Hey guys...

I need so submit a work report by September 15th. I am almost done, and I was wondering if some of you could take a look at it and give me your feedback. Keep in mind that the work report is marked as either ACCEPTABLE or NOT ACCEPTABLE, and that there is no mark involved. You either get credit or you don't get credit.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~johannj/personal/WorkReportSummer2003.doc

Thanks.

paulyoung666
01-09-2003, 20:11
you need to work on the formatting of it my mate , get everything lined up and looking neat and tidy ;)
:)

Jerrek
01-09-2003, 20:13
What exactly do you mean? If you look at the print preview it looks just dandy. :)

paulyoung666
01-09-2003, 20:19
fair play , but ...... viewing it in notepad it looks **** :)

not to worry , your TOC is wrong isnt it ??????????????

1.0 points to 1
2.0 points to 1

or am i viewing it wrong

only trying to help
:)

Ramrod
01-09-2003, 21:15
Well I looked at it but I'm not qualified to critique it.:shrug:

Dave Stones
01-09-2003, 22:02
page iii...

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

[write summary]

eh? :erm:

[edit] oh nevermind thse are the unfinished bits...

homealone
01-09-2003, 22:06
Hi Jerrek

I don't know much about the subject of your report, but you seem to have made your point ok.

My only suggestion is to, maybe, flesh it out with an brief example of how it could work in the real world for someone who doesn't understand databases & servers? Not to dumb it down, but to show you've thought it through? - I once got told, "sell the benefits, not the features":)

Gaz

duncant403
02-09-2003, 09:31
Couple of things - does XSL stand for anything (you've given the full name of XML but not XSL).
The report is written in a very "casual" style - phrases like "In a nutshell" and "a couple of ways". This isn't typical for a technical report - I presume this is meant to be a technical report. (I write technical reports as part of my job...). Largely that comes down to corporate style - such as our reports are always written in the third person, so there is no use or "I" or "we". Ultimately it depends on what is expected of this report.

Hope this helps.

Duncan

Nemesis
02-09-2003, 09:38
First/second para of the Memo, too many report s

maybe a glossary ?

for the complete novice, a brief history of where XML etc came from ??

trebor
02-09-2003, 10:10
I am not qualified to judge your work but reading the report
didn't tell me much about the subject that I didn't know already (which is not a lot)
it did not make me think what a great idea, I must starting using xml.
and having read it twice I am still unsure what the advantages of xml / xsl are, it does not appear to create less work for computers
or humans, it does not appear to reduce the hardware requirements of running a database. :confused:

should the last paragraph have a "not" in it so that it says

and it is NOT immediately obvious which is the best way given a certain situation.

on the whole the report looks ok, but you have not sold it as an idea to me, sorry.