PDA

View Full Version : Modem goes down... then comes back up and woah kinda thing!

Omar
25-01-2005, 02:20
Hey,
i know i've asked this question before but i was just wonder coz it happened again last night :D Well its more a statement than a question. I was happily browsing the net when my internet service died although the net worked and on performing a tracert in dos i cud trace to the first four hops before the rest time out, but i couldnt play any games or access irc etc.. I did the usual and simply rebooted the cable modem. On booting up i found out that dos ping times decreased slightly but all the more better (as an avid gamer better ping = :tu:.. yes even those few measly ms :D ). for example to k-play.de was pinging at 27ms ... stormix.de 32 ms lovely! However sadly, the eurphoria only lasted a few minutes later when they turned to their ping times. No crash or anything. (The pings went back to normal 45ms in dos to stormix.de and 37 in dos to k-play.de) Although it doesnt really affect gaming much im just curious why it does happen if anyones had any experience of it happening i'd like to know if its a problem at ntl or whatever. It happens like once a month or so. My internet randomly dies boots back up and i get amazingly decent pings for a few minutes then it goes back to normal.

th'engineer
25-01-2005, 13:01
Have you phoned customer servicers and reported it

BTW are you connecting to the modem by usb

Omar
25-01-2005, 13:15
i tried once and the guy didnt really have a clue... after waiting a good 20 minutes on hold i just gave up. NTL Tech Support sometimes is >:/

And btw i'm connecting through ethernet.

th'engineer
25-01-2005, 14:38
i tried once and the guy didnt really have a clue... after waiting a good 20 minutes on hold i just gave up. NTL Tech Support sometimes is >:/

And btw i'm connecting through ethernet.

if you do not report it it can not be fixed ask for a team leader they understand

also see this thread might be useful http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=19532

Omar
26-01-2005, 00:49
i've looked up on proxies but i thought hte main idea of proxies was to provide cached web content no?

As for the tech support i'll give them a bell tomorrow i guess.

jtwn
26-01-2005, 12:12
Yeah this has happened to me...what four times in the last two weeks or so. Myself and two other people in the same area all go down at the same time on ventrillo/games, the connection is restablished really quickly though, seems faster than when rebooting the modem. Haven't noticed it myself in the past few days though.

Omar
26-01-2005, 22:30
i've just done some more research on it and i found its something to do with ntl load balancing i'm not sure whether this can be changed by myself or ntl but i guess ill have to phone em up again when i dont have to wait 30 mins.