PDA

View Full Version : could you do it/would you like to do it

andy 1
24-01-2005, 19:06
could you live on 18.50 a week like the elderly in old folks and nursing homes have to do.
ok you don't have to pay rent or pay for meals or utility bills but you do have to pay for things like clothes,soap,deoderant,6 quid once a month for a haircut more if your female.8.50 once a month to have your toe nails cut.pay for a newspaper or cigarettes if you smoke.
and most of the meals are made from frozen foods,no fruit or anything like that unless you buy them out of your 18.50.

well could you? be honest every week not just a one off.

Dave Stones
24-01-2005, 19:09
well, at the moment i am living on about £15 a week....

andy 1
24-01-2005, 19:12
well, at the moment i am living on about £15 a week....
how long you been doing that dave and does it look like continuing forever.also is it government sanctioned poverty like it is for the old folk.

paulyoung666
24-01-2005, 19:13
could you live on 18.50 a week like the elderly in old folks and nursing homes have to do.
ok you don't have to pay rent or pay for meals or utility bills but you do have to pay for things like clothes,soap,deoderant,6 quid once a month for a haircut more if your female.8.50 once a month to have your toe nails cut.pay for a newspaper or cigarettes if you smoke.
and most of the meals are made from frozen foods,no fruit or anything like that unless you buy them out of your 18.50.

where the hell did this pop up from , personal experience or what , how about a link to the facts ;)

andy 1
24-01-2005, 19:16
where the hell did this pop up from , personal experience or what , how about a link to the facts ;)

personal experience paulyoung666 my father as been in a nursing home for about 5 years now. it used to be 16 quid a week pocket money as they call it but every year they got a few pence pay rise until its now 18.50.
oh and i forgot to mention if you own your own home they make you sell it to pay your fee's privately until you only have 8000 pound in the bank.

Chimaera
24-01-2005, 19:19
Well my friend's mum in law is in a nursing home as she is pretty poorly at the moment, you want to see the food she gets - all the veg are fresh, they can have a cooked breakfast if they like, unlimited hot drinks all day - they even get sherry with their dinner. And no charge for the chiropodist or hairdresser either - whoever you know who is getting that sort of treatment andy1, seems to be getting short changed - I don't think that's the norm by any means.

SOSAGES
24-01-2005, 19:19
you can get hair cuts very cheap on certain days that a few quid saved every few months!

bopdude
24-01-2005, 19:21
I thought state pension was running at about £35.00 pm :shrug: linky please

d'oh... beaten to it by Paul

and everyone else, xda lag ;)

andy 1
24-01-2005, 19:27
Well my friend's mum in law is in a nursing home as she is pretty poorly at the moment, you want to see the food she gets - all the veg are fresh, they can have a cooked breakfast if they like, unlimited hot drinks all day - they even get sherry with their dinner. And no charge for the chiropodist or hairdresser either - whoever you know who is getting that sort of treatment andy1, seems to be getting short changed - I don't think that's the norm by any means.

i'm afraid it is the norm in some of the homes in lincolnshire the owners in some of the homes are doing battle with social services to try and get more money out of them.
and what i was told by the manager of a big care home goup in lincolnshire was, minimum care for minimum pay.
my father over the years as been in 3 care home and there as only ever been one as you describe above.unfortunately my fathers health deteriorated and he had to move to where he is now.

andy 1
24-01-2005, 19:32
I thought state pension was running at about £35.00 pm :shrug: linky please

d'oh... beaten to it by Paul

and everyone else, xda lag ;)

state pension for my father is 109 pounds a week but they take that off him and give him 18.50 a week pocket money that is what the law says he needs to live on

could i ask you chimaera does she get 18.50 a week to live on though to buy clothes and toiletries.

Damien
24-01-2005, 19:47
how long you been doing that dave and does it look like continuing forever.also is it government sanctioned poverty like it is for the old folk.

? Explain?

andy 1
24-01-2005, 19:51
? Explain?
old people in care and nursing homes only get 18.50 a week pocket money to buy things with,things like clothes toiletries haircuts chiropody and the like.

its government sanctioned poverty

AndrewJ
24-01-2005, 19:52
Didnt it be said about the minimum income gurantee for elderly people?

andy 1
24-01-2005, 19:55
Didnt it be said about the minimum income gurantee for elderly people?

thats for old people who live in there own homes,once you go into nursing or care homes all your minimum income guarantee money goes to them and you get 18.50 pocket money a week

Damien
24-01-2005, 19:55
old people in care and nursing homes only get 18.50 a week pocket money to buy things with,things like clothes toiletries haircuts chiropody and the like.

its government sanctioned poverty

I dont think there is a goverment policy for that. You seems to have bad nusing homes but i have seen great ones. Its unfair to blame the goverment for everything.

Also if i am right they get everything else paid for like food and heating right?

andy 1
24-01-2005, 20:00
try this link

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/winnn/index/pressoffice/press_index/press-030908.htm (http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/winn/index/pressoffice/press_index/press030908.htm)

AndrewJ
24-01-2005, 20:02
thats for old people who live in there own homes,once you go into nursing or care homes all your minimum income guarantee money goes to them and you get 18.50 pocket money a week

Well that just sucks and is plain wrong, no wonder a elderly lady who lives down road is 92yrs old, has about every medical condition know to the universe, and still keeps on going, refuses point blank to go in a death bed as she calls the homes, where you pay for them to bump you off so she says.

Got to love her whit for her age.

Chimaera
24-01-2005, 20:03
As far as I know, she was in hospital - she is terminally ill, although she is far from on her 'last legs' (the family's words, not mine!) As the hospital have said she needs nursing care, she is too ill to go home, and therefore qualifies to go to a nursing home, and does not have to pay for the care.

Maggy
24-01-2005, 20:05
=Damien]I dont think there is a goverment policy for that. You seems to have bad nusing homes but i have seen great ones. Its unfair to blame the goverment for everything.

Why not?I want to know why so many good nursing homes have closed in the last three years leaving us with some pretty ropy ones.Just about every month there is some article about how a local retirement/nursing home is closing because they can't meet some local bylaw or national health and safety issue and if they don't want to close they have to find so much investment to make required building changes to meet the local council requirements that it is impossible to try and stay open.The very unedifying sight of elderly frail poeople being moved from their home to another building because of financial considerations is sickening.

I'm with the Who,hope I die before I get old!!!There is not much to look forward to. :(

andy 1
24-01-2005, 20:08
As far as I know, she was in hospital - she is terminally ill, although she is far from on her 'last legs' (the family's words, not mine!) As the hospital have said she needs nursing care, she is too ill to go home, and therefore qualifies to go to a nursing home, and does not have to pay for the care.

does she live in scotland if she does she doesn't pay for nursing care.
but if she lives in england or wales i think you'll find she does

Chimaera
24-01-2005, 20:12
does she live in scotland if she does she doesn't pay for nursing care.
but if she lives in england or wales i think you'll find she does
Nope she lives in Essex and because the hospital and social services say she needs nursing care she does not have to pay. It works out cheaper than her blocking a hospital bed, and if she needs medical intervention she goes to the local hospice.

andy 1
24-01-2005, 20:14
i can't get that link to work but if you're interested try google uk and type in "government proposals amount to picking pensioners pockets"

this tells you all about pensioners pocket money.

sorry about the link maybe some kind person could link it for me

Chimaera
24-01-2005, 20:16
i can't get that link to work but if you're interested try google uk and type in "government proposals amount to picking pensioners pockets"

this tells you all about pensioners pocket money.

sorry about the link maybe some kind person could link it for me
Try here (http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/macnn/index/pressoffice/press_index/press-030908.htm) if that's the one you mean.

andy 1
24-01-2005, 20:21
Nope she lives in Essex and because the hospital and social services say she needs nursing care she does not have to pay. It works out cheaper than her blocking a hospital bed, and if she needs medical intervention she goes to the local hospice.

do they pay her state pension to the home and social services pay the rest.
if they do social services will be paying for her nursing care,because thats what they do with my father and all he gets is 18.50 a week pocket money.

Try here (http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/macnn/index/pressoffice/press_index/press-030908.htm) if that's the one you mean.

thats the one thanks chimaera

Chimaera
24-01-2005, 20:21
I don't think so - as she's only just gone in there! And she is terminally ill too, I don't think anyone is too bothered with her finances at the moment.

andy 1
24-01-2005, 20:25
I don't think so - as she's only just gone in there! And she is terminally ill too, I don't think anyone is too bothered with her finances at the moment.

sorry to hear that but believe me somebody will be bothering about her finances iv'e been there, seen it, got the badge as they say

Ramrod
24-01-2005, 20:26
I'm with the Who,hope I die before I get old!!!There is not much to look forward to. :(thats right........I was an auxillary nurse as a student and some of the homes that I was sent to were awful (some were brilliant, but it's still no life) . I wouldn't want to end up there.
On the other hand £18.50 a week when you don't have anything else to pay for isn't bad--when I was a fork lift driver I took home £105/wk and had to pay all my bills/food and run a car. I probably had less than £18.50 a week left over at the end of that.
Andy 1........Could you perhaps give him some more cash if you are concerned for him?

andy 1
24-01-2005, 20:46
if any body opens the link and doesn't want to read it all just try reading paragraph 4, 5 and 6 that tells you all about it

thats right........I was an auxillary nurse as a student and some of the homes that I was sent to were awful (some were brilliant, but it's still no life) . I wouldn't want to end up there.
On the other hand £18.50 a week when you don't have anything else to pay for isn't bad--when I was a fork lift driver I took home £105/wk and had to pay all my bills/food and run a car. I probably had less than £18.50 a week left over at the end of that.
Andy 1........Could you perhaps give him some more cash if you are concerned for him?
i do ramrod,but you add up the things you buy each week , dont include rent or food or utilities .just things like newspapers cigs beer sweets,a bit aside for an haircut,a new pair of trousers maybe.a little bit to have your toe nails cut by a chiropodist .
no disrespect ramrod but you can improve your life get another job with more pay perhaps.
these people can't they can only have what the state gives them and 18.50's not much is it

Ramrod
24-01-2005, 21:02
i do ramrod,but you add up the things you buy each week , dont include rent or food or utilities .just things like newspapers cigs beer sweets,a bit aside for an haircut,a new pair of trousers maybe.a little bit to have your toe nails cut by a chiropodist .
no disrespect ramrod but you can improve your life get another job with more pay perhaps.
these people can't they can only have what the state gives them and 18.50's not much is iti completely agree that £18.50 isn't much, I'm just making 2 comments..............
1)I have had to survive on that (and less when I worked in McD's :erm: :disturbd: )--not that me saying that helps any..........
2) Can you help him out financially?

Escapee
24-01-2005, 21:06
One of the guys I work with has a father who recntly passed away, his father had to go inot a nursing home for nine months up until he passed away. When they settled his estate and sold the house, he had a bill from the local authority for something around 30-40K for the 9 months his father spent in the nursing home.

I think thats an extortionate figure, apparently the council paid x amount and the balance was taken out of his estate.

Ramrod
24-01-2005, 21:24
One of the guys I work with has a father who recntly passed away, his father had to go inot a nursing home for nine months up until he passed away. When they settled his estate and sold the house, he had a bill from the local authority for something around 30-40K for the 9 months his father spent in the nursing home.

I think thats an extortionate figure, apparently the council paid x amount and the balance was taken out of his estate.Practically puts you off saving/buying your own house............may as well sponge off the state :mad:

Halcyon
24-01-2005, 22:12
No I probably could not live on that if I had to buy meals and day to day things. I think I would struggle but over time I guess I'd learn to buy the cheapest foods, cheapest everything to be able to cut it.
However this would probably mean eating poorly and having a rubbish social life so I think I couldnt cope on that wage.

Paul
24-01-2005, 22:45
Practically puts you off saving/buying your own house............may as well sponge off the state :mad:Which is why many older people are selling their homes and renting.

Ramrod
24-01-2005, 22:46
Which is why many older people are selling their homes and renting.I didn't know that :shocked:

Earl of Bronze
25-01-2005, 01:23
Which is why many older people are selling their homes and renting.

I vaguely remember an elderly neighbour had to into a home several years ago. Her husband had died some years ago, she was getting rather inferm, and couldnt go live with her children who all had famalies of their own. She ended up selling her house, giving the money to her children/ grandchildren, and then going into a home. Otherwise she would have been forced to sell the house and then fund her own retirement. Nice way to treat a woman who had built Sunderlands for the RAF during the war, survived the Belfast Blitz, reared a family and retired at 60 odd's.

Like the man says, better to burn out than fade away.....

iron25
25-01-2005, 02:01
I vaguely remember an elderly neighbour had to into a home several years ago. Her husband had died some years ago, she was getting rather inferm, and couldnt go live with her children who all had famalies of their own. She ended up selling her house, giving the money to her children/ grandchildren, and then going into a home. Otherwise she would have been forced to sell the house and then fund her own retirement. Nice way to treat a woman who had built Sunderlands for the RAF during the war, survived the Belfast Blitz, reared a family and retired at 60 odd's.

Like the man says, better to burn out than fade away.....

Too true.

You would think that in this day and age, if you work hard and pay your taxes and national insurance then you should be able to retire and die with a bit of dignity.

To me, you're better off spending all your money when you get it and enjoy life. Don't bother to save or contribute into a pension but simply decide to take your life once you retire. Sleeping pills will do the job and I'm sure you would have no regrets as you would hopefully have lived a happy and enjoyable life and you wouldn't have to worry about having enough money to live on in your remaing 30 years of life.

I can't remember who said it but the quote goes something like 'I'm not interested in adding years to my life, I'm more interested in adding life to my years'

Now, if only I could take my own advice :D

andy 1
25-01-2005, 09:20
a couple who are friends of mine have let there eldest son buy there house for them in his name athough they pay the mortgage each month.
then if either of them have to go into a home they don't have to sell the house they live in to pay for it.

i see that some people say that they could live on 18.50 a week but i have seen old people trying to do it week after week.
it aint that easy.

i will say one thing though some of these people who work in these care homes deserve a medal for what they do.i know i couldn't do it.

Seti
26-01-2005, 02:13
It's not just the elderly that have to live on that either. Young people have exactly the same to live on once they are in residential nursing accomodation. The law for "selling your home to pay for care" was passed becasue the councils decided they didn't have enough money to pay for everyones social welfare. Now we have a situation where the elderly and those who are infirm have to struggle to make ends meet. I have to pay for any care I receive unless its personal care.

Currently I am awaiting a huge bll from social services becasue they forgot to bill me. However, you do not have to pay it if you can prove 1) social and finacial hardship, 2) Care was not provided as expected, 3) Too long in waiting to be assessed for financial dependency (whatever that means).

With care homes there is currently no new or active legislation to take away the burden of paying for care. Home places can cost anything from £300 to £750 a week. This is not dependent on the care you need but dependent on the cost put down by the care provider. It's a scam and totally disgusting.

Hospice care, provided by charities is free. Other council care for residential accomodation only is free. Private nursing home care is charged for at extortinate rates.

The care home should be providing fresh fruit and vegetables DAILY for your father Andy and if they are not get hold of you fathers social workers. They have a duty of care towards him. They should be kind, compassionate and incuding your father in aspects of social living like his old hobbies or films or going out. No home I have had the misfortune to work in does that unless the relatives PAY for it. It's a national disgrace.

In your own home you can get personal care. They are supposed to provide 24 hour cover. This rarely happens. In my own experience the carers are ok but they are there to earn a buck so a two hour call is reduced to an hour and a three hour shopping call is a joke because I can't go to where I want to go. Social care is farcical and needs radical improvement.

Sian

mrlipring
26-01-2005, 12:19

Whose hair needs cut once a month? 8.50 for getting your toenails cut? Am i reading this wrong? I don't even understand that. Who the hell pays someone to cut their toenails? Cigs aren't a necessity. I survived on around the same money for a while, and although it's not pleasant, it's definitely possible.