PDA

View Full Version : Reporting Packet Loss in Cardiff AGAIN

IanGuy
24-01-2005, 16:23
I have left my connection all day today to see if it would get any better, still the same, took about 20 seconds to load this reply page. The RDY light keeps going off then coming back on, when I can get in to the ambit diag ip it shows 44dbmv on the upstream power. Which in theory is ok, anything going on in the area recently to cause this?

I have rebooted the modem now 5 times with the pc off and waited 10 minutes each time, the problem isn't getting better.

Could someone please take a look at it for me, I am in the Danescourt area of Cardiff.;)

Neil
24-01-2005, 16:24
Have you reported this to ntl Tech Support?

If so, what have they said?

If not, why not?

IanGuy
24-01-2005, 16:38
Just phoned, they said that there were no reported problems and no work in the area, said could send an engineer but would have to wait until next Tuesday. I said forget it, it'll probably be "magically" fixed by the time the techy comes, as it always does.

IanGuy
25-01-2005, 13:59
What a surprise it's magically been fixed today, glad i didn't have that engineer out.

Ignition
25-01-2005, 14:10
Damn ntl, fixing an HFC network fault within 24 hours, bad result.

Chances are the fault was spotted by the local chaps doing their morning checks by the way, so don't be too hard on the TSB. A lot of people don't phone for degraded service and if people don't phone it slows down identification of area faults.

th'engineer
25-01-2005, 14:34
Damn ntl, fixing an HFC network fault within 24 hours, bad .

Your getting very critical of NTL they do a good job:D:LOL:

Been to Bill Cs charm school;)

Chris
25-01-2005, 14:58
Damn ntl, fixing an HFC network fault within 24 hours, bad result.

Chances are the fault was spotted by the local chaps doing their morning checks by the way, so don't be too hard on the TSB. A lot of people don't phone for degraded service and if people don't phone it slows down identification of area faults.

I think the problem from a customer's point of view is if a problem appears for no reason he can see, and then disappears for no reason he can see, and then this happens on a number of occasions, it saps their faith in the reliability of the service. Sometimes it really is better to see someone actually come out and twiddle about with it, and then explain what the problem was and how it was fixed. Of course while this approach might be great PR, it's probably a lot more labour intensive, and labour is something NTL seems not to have much of any more.

th'engineer
25-01-2005, 15:02
I think the problem from a customer's point of view is if a problem appears for no reason he can see, and then disappears for no reason he can see, and then this happens on a number of occasions, it saps their faith in the reliability of the service.
its technology it breaks now and again.

Chris
25-01-2005, 16:10
its technology it breaks now and again.

Very true. But most people don't see it that way when they're paying for it.

th'engineer
25-01-2005, 17:11
Very true. But most people don't see it that way when they're paying for it.

Yes but it is hi tech fibre what do people expect for the small amont of money they pay

Chris
25-01-2005, 17:13
Yes but it is hi tech fibre what do people expect for the small amont of money they pay

They expect what they're told they are going to get - and unfortunately you only find out that things can go wrong if you read the small print. Plus I wouldn't say the £75 as month you can easily spend on BB and DTV is a small amount of money! It might be a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of running the network, but it is not small beer to the average family on a budget.

Neil
25-01-2005, 17:35

Are you drunk?

th'engineer
25-01-2005, 17:35
They expect what they're told they are going to get - and unfortunately you only find out that things can go wrong if you read the small print. Plus I wouldn't say the £75 as month you can easily spend on BB and DTV is a small amount of money! It might be a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of running the network, but it is not small beer to the average family on a budget.

You have the same problems no matter what supplier, BT Virgin or even wanadoo All have problems we must stop picking on NTL

Neil
25-01-2005, 17:36
You have the same problems no matter what supplier, BT Virgin or even wanadoo All have problems we must stop picking on NTL

Either Aizad has taken you hostage (or maybe even Bill Goodland), or you have hit the bottle early today....

th'engineer
25-01-2005, 17:38
Either Aizad has taken you hostage (or maybe even Bill Goodland), or you have hit the bottle early today....
Must be my medication:) :p:

I have had good service from them recently so can not complain:LOL:

IanGuy
25-01-2005, 22:42
Well, I was told to ring CS, so I did. I simply refused to arrange for an engineer to come out in a week's time which I think is ridiculous as I have had experience with NTL problems, and you can guarantee they will be solved before the engineer actually calls and are given no explanation to why the fault occured. (Local problem, vandalism, dns server etc.... any small detail would do fine).

IanGuy
16-02-2005, 19:35
Oh look, the problem in the Danescourt area is back again!
Pings in Call of Duty raging up to 800 now and again also web pages slow loading and streaming videos just won't stream @ 200k!

Here are results from Robin Walker's speed test while having no applications running and no spyware whatsoever:

1st 128K took 10609 ms = 12355 Bytes/sec = approx 103 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 3610 ms = 36308 Bytes/sec = approx 302 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 3890 ms = 33695 Bytes/sec = approx 280 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 3391 ms = 38653 Bytes/sec = approx 322 kbits/sec