PDA

View Full Version : Broadband upload crashes

CaptainBarrett
24-01-2005, 17:22
I've recently moved from the trusty, reliable ntl Cambridge hub to a slightly dodgy one in Cheshire.

My broadband connection is through my PACE1000 box, into my Linksys wireless g router. I've currently got the slowest broadband connection.

Occassionaly, when I'm sending large emails, or copying big files over vpn to the company server, I lose the internet connection. The digital tv still works okay, but I lose all my internet powers. I then have to reboot the stb, which can be a bit irritating on the fourth or fifth occassion :(.

As this never happened in Cambridge, could anyone give any hints or tips as to how to fix it? Technical support couldn't give me anything on the fly...

Cheers!

Tezcatlipoca
24-01-2005, 20:32
:welcome:

Maybe you could try requesting a standalone cable modem (SACM) from ntl, instead of using the STB? IIRC, there are other people here who have got SACMs from ntl due to having poor BB using an STB.

rdhw
24-01-2005, 20:45
Occassionaly, when I'm sending large emails, or copying big files over vpn to the company server, I lose the internet connection. The digital tv still works okay, but I lose all my internet powers. I then have to reboot the stb, which can be a bit irritating on the fourth or fifth occassionWell known problem with the old Pace boxes, and no known true fix. For a workaround, install a bandwidth-limiting application such as NetLimiter, and configure it so that your maximum upstream bandwidth demand is about 80% of your cable modem upstream rate cap. Then you won't drive the STB into its upstream cap, and all will be well.

CaptainBarrett
24-01-2005, 20:53
An stb that wasn't designed not to fall over when uploading. The Ministry of Bad Design strikes again ;-) I'll give both a go.

Cheers!