PDA

View Full Version : Equipment for Faster Broadband

caveman
24-01-2005, 14:55
What equipment (STB / Modem) will customers require for the proposed speed upgrades. Will exixting STB's be up to it?

hairy_mick
24-01-2005, 14:59
Stand alone modems dont need swapout but belive. (stb) samsung box needed
for higher than 1meg i think.Someone correct me if i am wrong.

monkey2468
24-01-2005, 15:03
Stand alone modems dont need swapout but belive. (stb) samsung box needed
for higher than 1meg i think.Someone correct me if i am wrong.

correct

caveman
24-01-2005, 15:18
I am currently on 750K with a Pace STB. I assume from your answer that I will require a Samsung STB for my proposed upgrade to 2Meg.
Q1 Do those boxes have stereo audio out,
Q2 If not can you buy your own, or pay for upgrade, and
Q3 Would this entail an engineer visit, or are they sent to customer.
BTW who uses stand alone modems?

SMHarman
24-01-2005, 15:27
I am currently on 750K with a Pace STB. I assume from your answer that I will require a Samsung STB for my proposed upgrade to 2Meg.
Q1 Do those boxes have stereo audio out,
Q2 If not can you buy your own, or pay for upgrade, and
Q3 Would this entail an engineer visit, or are they sent to customer.
BTW who uses stand alone modems?
1 Don't know
2 Cannot buy your own NTL own all STBs on their network
3 Engineer visit.

If the alternate STB is truly not an option then you may be able to convince them to split the cable and put a Cable Modem in along side (or wherever you need it) the STB.

SACMs will be good until about 8MB+ speeds (from what I have read).

rdhw
24-01-2005, 16:00
Do those boxes have stereo audio out?Surely, every NTL digital STB has stereo audio out, on the SCART link?

caveman
24-01-2005, 16:04
RCA Audio out to Reciever, which I currently have.

SMHarman
24-01-2005, 16:31
Surely, every NTL digital STB has stereo audio out, on the SCART link?
I think the OP was looking for white and Red RCA connections. "Some boxes do, some don't, some need a scart connecter, and some don't" (to the tune of some girls)
But all can have one from from the Scart socket, this can be annoying if you need to split the scarts multiway though.

caveman
24-01-2005, 16:42
I see from searching that the Samsung STB does not have RCA Audio output.
I would prefer to keep my Pace rather than buy an adaptor to get audio from the scart or tale stereo away from the rear of the TV. Bearing that in mind and assuming there are no major advantages to the Samsung STB. Do you think NTL being the great guys they are, would object to splitting my cable and giving me a SACM as well for my BB. BTW how big are these things, I am already pushed for space. The missus is really going to love having another ugly box and more wires on show.

SMHarman
24-01-2005, 17:38
'bout the size of a Hard Disk in a caddy, 5in across 8 in deep 1.5in high.

hairy_mick
24-01-2005, 17:49
i am sure you can buy scart lead with phono left and right plugs attached

Mal
24-01-2005, 18:09
You can get this (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29903&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=&doy=24m1) lead from maplins.

caveman
24-01-2005, 18:16
Thanks for the info. That means I should be OK with the Samsung STB then, assuming there are any around, I read there's a shortage. Right handy prior to a major upgrade. I assume thousands will be needed.