PDA

View Full Version : Mad Modem problems

pooroldandy
24-01-2005, 01:56
Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ve had both broadband and cable T.V from NTL for several years now and only after the speed upgrade (1mb -1.5mb) have I noticed problems. Every half an hour or so (can vary a lot, sometimes every minute) all Internet functions will freeze and the cable light will go out on the modem and my machine resets. :Yikes: I have contacted tech support who tested my modem from their end and reported it as having no problems (its the black Terayon box) and said to phone back just as the problem occurs even though it happened four times whilst on the phone to them (im sure they were just trying to get rid of me). There is no way I can phone them in time as it takes at least 15mins to get through to somebody and by that time the computer has reset. :td:

I have tried the modem on four other computers with different setups and the same problem occurs on all of them. Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ve also tried turning off my set top box and the problem still occurs, however I heard going from 1mb to 1.5mb requires a new s.t.b is that true, because I did not get one. Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m racking my brains here, if anybody can shed any light on this it would be MUCH appreciated as the current service is unusable and the constant restarts have already corrupted one hard drive resulting in loss of data.

Apologies for the long post, :o

Andy

p.s all computers that were tested were on winXP Professional

Raistlin
24-01-2005, 02:04
Hi Andy,

Can't offer any constructive advice here I'm afraid but there are plenty of people around (maybe not this early in the morning though :D ) that should be able to help you further.

Really just want to say :welcome: to CF :D

Sit back, kick off your shoes, relax, and enjoy your stay!

pooroldandy
24-01-2005, 02:11
Many thanks for the welcome Raistlin I wasnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t expecting a reply at 2.am :LOL:

I will check back tomorrow and see what peeps come up with. Forgot to mention im connected through the USB port.

Raistlin
24-01-2005, 02:14
Just spotted your question about upgrading the STB when the BB speeds went up. If you're connecting through a Stand Alone Cable Modem (SACM) for your internet connection then your STB shouldn't need replacing. I think you only needed to be upgraded if your internet was coming to you through the STB.

BTW, have you tried connecting to the SACM via Ethernet rather than USB? If so, did that make any difference?

pooroldandy
24-01-2005, 02:35
Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m connected through a (SACM) Terayon so thatââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s o.k. Yes ive tried the Ethernet port, the cable light still goes out but doesnââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t take the system with it. The problem with connecting it this way is I can no longer share my internet connection with my other computers on my LAN as the Ethernet port is in use.

BBKing
24-01-2005, 08:37
You wouldn't need an STB upgrade, as that's only for people with STB broadband, which isn't available in your area.

Let's get this right - your PC resets when the modem flickers? That shouldn't happen, which is one more reason not to use USB (and Windows for that matter), but there's clearly something awry with the PC as well.

The cable modem issue is the root of this, though, if I can have your modem's MAC address I'll take a look at it.

rdhw
24-01-2005, 10:16
Every half an hour or so (can vary a lot, sometimes every minute) all Internet functions will freeze and the cable light will go out on the modemIf the CABLE light goes out, then this is an NTL signal or cable problem, and only NTL can fix it. You need to report this to NTL. Make sure you specify that the CABLE light goes out, as this fact should focus them onto the nature of the problem. Check also with your STB: if the middle LED goes out, this will cause a failure of interactive TV services. If so, you could try reporting the fault as a failure of interactive TV, rather than broadband, as this sometimes gets a better response fro NTL.and my machine resets.That is not right, and indicates something wrong with your PC, or flaky USB drivers. You would be better advised not to tell NTL technical support that your PC resets, as this will cause them to write the whole problem off as a dodgy PC. Presumably you are a long-time Terayon user, so your USB drivers might be quite old. You might try updating your TeraJet 210 USB drivers with the latest versions (December 2001). Another thing to check is that your motherboard's chipset drivers are up to date, from the chipset manufacturer's website. But a better solution would be to use the ethernet interface, and avoid USB altogether.

pooroldandy
24-01-2005, 10:42
No problems with the P.C BBKing, as I said before ive tried the SACM on many different machines (even a laptop!) and they all do the same thing. Its such a strange problem, for example you are browsing the net suddenly all pages stop loading and any downloads freeze, the cable light on the SACM flashes madly and after about 30 seconds goes out which is where all machines that I have tested fail and reset . The light stays blank for about five seconds and the SACM seems to test the connection and start again. How do I find out my MAC address?

rdhw I did not know of any driver updates, I used the CD that came with the modem when I first took out the package. Could you provide me of a link where I can download them so I can try it out? Chipset drivers are up to date on my motherboard which is an Nforce 3 which I installed at Christmas with a clean install of XP. Never had a problem with the S.T.B b.t.w

hairy_mick
24-01-2005, 12:45
get a new modem mate might sort out your problem and a level check is in order.

pooroldandy
24-01-2005, 13:00
O.k ive just got off the phone to them and this time I focused on the fact the CABLE light on the modem keeps going out as rdhw suggested. They did tests on my line and the first one showed 30% loss in signal the second showed 100% however the CABLE light didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t go out as it has been doing but thatâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s sods law for you! (happened twice already whilst writing this):LOL: .
I was lucky to have a great person on the line that was very understanding and said that they would book an engineer for me! Hopefully all will be sorted Thursday afternoon when the guy calls round. Ill post back and let you know the results, thanks for all your help - Andy

rdhw
24-01-2005, 15:15
Could you provide me of a link where I can download them so I can try it out?See Terayon.zip in http://homepage.ntlworld.com/myron.s/BB-DeviceDrivers/

Ignition
24-01-2005, 15:17
Please send me your IP address when you have a minute for my information so that can look at the uBR a bit.

Ta

pooroldandy
24-01-2005, 15:53
The updated drivers to not seem to function correctly on my system, Windows reports that the connection has limited or no connectivity and fails to assign an ip address. When rolling back the drivers everything worked again. :shrug:

Please send me your IP address when you have a minute for my information so that can look at the uBR a bit.

Ta

Done. Whats the uBR then? :spin:

pooroldandy
05-02-2005, 01:00
Just a quick update as promised, had an engineer call round and found the modem to be faulty. I've got a nice new shiny silver modem which works a treat and not had any problem over the last couple of weeks!:clap:

Only problem was the engineer didnt leave a driver disc meaning I had to get the drivers from work! But im happy now ive got a reliable speedy connection. Time to start downloading before the new caps come in.........:beer:

Raistlin
05-02-2005, 01:07
Glad you got it sorted in the end matey.