PDA

View Full Version : churchys should look at this

kronas
01-09-2003, 00:31
are you lazy or hungover from a saturday night out and want to go to church but cant physically get there well all you need now is a broadband net connection :D

on sunday st philip and st james' in bath broadcast the first ever church service on the web in the uk

500 people logged on with 170 churchgoers in attendance at the church

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3194805.stm

no excuse to miss church now :nono: :D

kink
01-09-2003, 18:47
Well, that's only useful for people that are Anglicans.... the other denominations are not covered by that particular service, literally :)
People who are unable to attend church services have used the televised services for years and it tends not to be because of laziness but because they are carers or housebound in some way. For many it could not replace going to a church service since they cannot have communion online and is considered the main reason for attending in the first place. A blessing is one thing, but having communion and praying in the house of God is not something that can be easily transfered to cyberspace. Unless a website is 'blessed' of course, and becomes 'holy' by that action..... then the site could be visited and considered as the equivalent of actually attending a service :eek: and to think that might have already happened!! :spin: Lazy people tend not to care if they've missed a service since they don't have the devotion to the faith, so it's unlikely that they'd watch it online or on the television.

Kronie..... do me a favour.... while i'm not religious, nor do i attend a church as such.... do you think that your use of churchy to describe people who attend church services or are christian in general is necessary?
I understand, or assume wrongly, that it is meant as a joke, but i find it slighty offensive and i've not seen you use a similar term for other religions. I wouldn't use slang terms for other races that could be interpreted in a perjorative way and i'm sure you wouldn't either :shrug:
Is your use of the term churchy necessary? even as a joke? :)

Dave Stones
01-09-2003, 18:51
Is your use of the term churchy necessary? even as a joke? :)

same as bible basher etc aint it... just really isnt necessary... :shrug:

Ramrod
01-09-2003, 19:01
My personal favourite is 'God botherer':D
*ahem*sorry...no need for that either.:blush: :)

kink
01-09-2003, 19:52
Originally posted by Dave Stones
same as bible basher etc aint it... just really isnt necessary... :shrug:

Well, it's difficult.. doesn't Russ use that term on one of his profiles? Resident Bible Basher? If i'm wrong :eek: sorry russ....... but i assume he's being tongue in cheek. I suppose the difference is that he's using it but is proud of his beliefs and is using the term as humour to make a point.... kronie is a self-confessed atheist and his use comes across as more of a criticism. I'm sure it's a joke but was just querying it. There must be other ways to make the same sort of 'friendly' joke with more of a smile than a sneer :shrug:
Obviously all the christians on here don't have a problem with it..... i'm not religious but i feel there's a fine line between what people find acceptable because they don't want to make a fuss and seem humourless and feeling uncomfortable :(

Russ
01-09-2003, 19:58
I take such comments as 'bible basher', 'Jesus Freak' etc as compliments :)

If Kronas wants to call me 'churchy' then hey - I go to church :)

Ramrod
01-09-2003, 20:03
Back on topic, I think the internet service thing is a good idea.
I personally don't see the need to pray in church (apart from the nice atmos.) and I think that it is (and I am prepared to be wrong here) more 'correctly' christian to worship at home.

kink
01-09-2003, 20:25
Originally posted by Ramrod
Back on topic, I think the internet service thing is a good idea.
I personally don't see the need to pray in church (apart from the nice atmos.) and I think that it is (and I am prepared to be wrong here) more 'correctly' christian to worship at home.

Educate me Ramrod..... i am lacking :)

Russ
01-09-2003, 20:27
In the Bible, a 'church' was a collective of people, not a building. It would seem there is a difference between 'church' and 'Church'.

kink
01-09-2003, 20:40
But is it then necessary that people pray communally as opposed to in solitude?
If there was a single website that was responsible for broadcasting a service and all of the people logged on to that website for the service were scattered all over the world...... would that still be considered a communal gathering because of the focus on one site? Could the idea of cyber-prayer be considered an plausable alternative?

Stuart
01-09-2003, 20:58
I'm not religious (I am agnostic infact) but I believe that if you feel the need to pray, you should be free to pray in private or communally.

I aslo think the service over the Internet is a good idea. Some people would love to go to church , but cannot for whatever reason.

Ramrod
01-09-2003, 21:05
Originally posted by kink
Educate me Ramrod..... i am lacking :) With pleasure! :naughty:

Ramrod
01-09-2003, 21:06
Originally posted by Russ D
In the Bible, a 'church' was a collective of people, not a building. It would seem there is a difference between 'church' and 'Church'. You learn something new every day:)

kink
01-09-2003, 21:50
You learn something new every day:)

So why did you think it was more christian to worship at home then? Assumed that your theory was based on what russ said.....
Still waiting for you to educate me Ramrod :p

Dave Stones
01-09-2003, 21:52
You learn something new every day:)

*agrees

totally :notopic: this but it interested me to do with religion etc... in my university handbook ive just got posted it has 3 full pages of advice telling you how not to get involved with cults etc. i didnt realise they were so widespread...scary

Russ
01-09-2003, 23:29
Originally posted by scastle
I'm not religious (I am agnostic infact) but I believe that if you feel the need to pray, you should be free to pray in private or communally.

Agreed but the Bible encourages us to develop Christian fellowships and friendships, effectively what a church is.

Could the idea of cyber-prayer be considered an plausable alternative?

To be honest I think one day it'll be the only option.

i didnt realise they were so widespread...scary

They are a LOT more common than you'd think.

danielf
01-09-2003, 23:45
*agrees

totally :notopic: this but it interested me to do with religion etc... in my university handbook ive just got posted it has 3 full pages of advice telling you how not to get involved with cults etc. i didnt realise they were so widespread...scary

Maybe it's not them being so widespread, but them preying on 'young and impressionable' people, that prompts the uni to warn people. (Just a thought...)

kronas
02-09-2003, 01:03
kronie is a self-confessed atheist

where did i say that ? :confused:

and his use comes across as more of a criticism.

wrong

I'm sure it's a joke but was just querying it.

exactly it is a joke.......

If Kronas wants to call me 'churchy' then hey - I go to church :)

exactly people lighten up where has the humor gone all of a sudden.........

the term i use is not offensive in the slightest and is used as a joke i sugeest if people cannot take it as a joke to just stop reading my posts

:rolleyes:

Russ
02-09-2003, 06:52
Yes exactly - I mean, if I thought you were trying to be offensive I would have banned your a$$ ages ago ;) :D

Ramrod
02-09-2003, 09:37
So why did you think it was more christian to worship at home then? Assumed that your theory was based on what russ said.....
Still waiting for you to educate me Ramrod :p Well as I said, I'm prepared to be massively wrong here but I thought that the early cristians didn't actually have churches and hence used their homes as places of worship. Churches came later.
Russ?

Nemesis
02-09-2003, 09:47
I'n not religious by any stretch of the imagination, but love visiting the churches and graveyards. :)

My own feelings on this are that anyone who wishes to pray, have quiet time to reflect, etc, does not need to visit a church, they can use wherever and whenever to to this.

I have close relations to my local church, and get on well with the clergy etc, but they also feel that being comfortable with who and where you are is more important. They provide a service to the community, some take it some don't. Not going to church does not make you bad in their eyes.

Russ
02-09-2003, 10:18
Well as I said, I'm prepared to be massively wrong here but I thought that the early cristians didn't actually have churches and hence used their homes as places of worship. Churches came later.
Russ?

Spot on, hence 'church' in the early days was a word used to describe a gathering of people in an atmosphere of worship.

Chris
02-09-2003, 10:24
Well as I said, I'm prepared to be massively wrong here but I thought that the early cristians didn't actually have churches and hence used their homes as places of worship. Churches came later.
Russ?

The earliest Christians worshipped in the temple in Jerusalem on the sabbath (Saturday) and met in each other's homes on the first day of the week (Sunday, when Jesus rose from the dead) to break bread and share wine (now often called 'communion') in honour of him.

As the church spread beyond Jerusalem and came to include non-Jews, only the Sunday meeting remained. It was still in people's homes because the movement was at first too small, and eventually highly illegal. The early church in Rome at one time had to hold its meetings in the catacombs below the city.

'Church' is derived from a Greek word meaning 'assembly (of people)' and properly refers to a body of Christians, whether that be a small local gathering or the whole lot of us worldwide. Big chunks of the Bible actually become slightly nonsensical if they are read with the misunderstanding that when it says 'church' it means a building.

Bex
02-09-2003, 12:47
Agreed but the Bible encourages us to develop Christian fellowships and friendships, effectively what a church is.
To be honest I think one day it'll be the only option.

left behind books? :p

i think that the internet is a good source for viewing services and stuff, however you do loose the fellowship, which i think is essential for growing as a Christian! but you can get a source of fellowship online through christian forums and chat rooms

nighthawk
02-09-2003, 13:11
I for one think that webcasting the church service is a very good idea. At my church we have some ill people whos main enjoyment each week is joing in in a church service. The are assisted each week by us young nippers in the church (im 23) but as can be expected some weeks they are just 2 ill to attend, i believe they would realy enjoy at leat being able to watch the service. At the moment they have to wait until an Audio tape is dropped off to them after church.

And in all honesty there is no reason they could not attend via webcam, there are a lot of possiblilites here.

kink
02-09-2003, 20:32
Originally posted by kronas
where did i say that ? :confused:

wrong

exactly it is a joke.......

exactly people lighten up where has the humor gone all of a sudden.........

the term i use is not offensive in the slightest and is used as a joke i sugeest if people cannot take it as a joke to just stop reading my posts

Fine. I asked if it was necessary and you gave your reply. I disagree with your saying that the term you use is not offensive in the slightest.... just because someone doesn't mean it to be or doesn't consider what they say to be offensive, doesn't mean that it isn't :shrug: It's a subjective issue and i'd said that i found it slightly offensive in my first post. That's why i asked if it was necessary. That was all.
Thank you.

As far as the utility of cyber services is concerned, there have been services broadcast on the television for years and i know people that have made use of that when they haven't been able to attend services in person.... however they never really felt that it was the same.... and i think that may have been something to do with the idea of the 'church' itself being the House of God. I have noticed that lack of services being shown on tv over the past few years..... perhaps due to viewing figures and finance etc.... so i would have thought that local religious groups would be able to exploit the omnipotence of the WWW in order to get to members of their community who they would, otherwise, not be able to provide a service for and also by-pass the extortionate financial burden and commitment that is entailed in televised services.
Do people think that cyber services will help to stem the secularisation that we have seen happening in the latter part of the last century? Is this the type of modernisation that many of the christian denominations have been trying to achieve to stop people leaving the Church? Will younger people feel less alienated from christianty because of the possibly more 'trendy' mode of prayer?

Lord Nikon
02-09-2003, 21:57
not forgetting the God Channel

Dave Stones
02-09-2003, 22:06
Spot on, hence 'church' in the early days was a word used to describe a gathering of people in an atmosphere of worship.

so when i have a group of friends round and we are worshipping the almighty aluminium can, it can be classed as a church? cool ;)

Chris
02-09-2003, 22:09
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
not forgetting the God Channel

Oh no, please, not that drivel...

Chris
02-09-2003, 22:20
so when i have a group of friends round and we are worshipping the almighty aluminium can, it can be classed as a church? cool ;)

If you want to describe your activities in words derived from Greek, then yes.

Dave Stones
02-09-2003, 22:23
Originally posted by towny
Oh no, please, not that drivel...

you speak as though you have watched it and not jumped straight past like you should have done... :nono: :nono:

Chris
02-09-2003, 22:27
you speak as though you have watched it and not jumped straight past like you should have done... :nono: :nono:

lol

Nope, but our church leaders love it and have been known to tape programmes to show on Sunday evenings when there isn't a preacher.

Some of it (the home-grown stuff) is actually ok, if you forgive the hypo-low budgets they work to. The problem is, they fill their schedules with imported televangelist rubbish from the USA. The kind of embarrasing dross that ends up getting aired on Tarrant on TV. It sets my teeth on edge.

Dave Stones
02-09-2003, 22:28
Originally posted by towny
lol

Nope, but our church leaders love it and have been known to tape programmes to show on Sunday evenings when there isn't a preacher.

Some of it (the home-grown stuff) is actually ok, if you forgive the hypo-low budgets they work to. The problem is, they fill their schedules with imported televangelist rubbish from the USA. The kind of embarrasing dross that ends up getting aired on Tarrant on TV. It sets my teeth on edge.

are these proggies a good substitute for a real preacher? the only televangist stuff ive ever seen is that bloke who had a cameo in that james bond film... :rolleyes:

Russ
02-09-2003, 22:29
are these proggies a good substitute for a real preacher?

How can I make the word 'no' sound any more emphatic......?

Ramrod
02-09-2003, 23:11
How can I make the word 'no' sound any more emphatic......? Keep trying m8:rofl: :D

Chris
03-09-2003, 00:10
How can I make the word 'no' sound any more emphatic......?

no, non, nada, niet, dim, nein ... any more?

Lord Nikon
03-09-2003, 00:48
doesn't nada mean nothing?

kronas
04-09-2003, 01:35
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
doesn't nada mean nothing?

yes

Yes exactly - I mean, if I thought you were trying to be offensive I would have banned your a$$ ages ago ;) :D

well russ seen as you like talentless a**es you should look at Avril!!! :spin: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Russ
04-09-2003, 13:45
:confused:

kronas
04-09-2003, 13:46
:confused:

me too been editing posts again russ :confused::D ;)

Russ
04-09-2003, 13:48
Who me? No! :angel:

Had it been me, I would have done something like what it says now..... :D

kronas
04-09-2003, 13:51
Who me? No! :angel:

i find it hilarious that you say your a :angel:.............

im the only one whos an angel between you and me :D

and will you put back the correcting wording of that post :mad: :Peace: :grind: :afire: :2up:

Russ
04-09-2003, 13:57
Why did my brain just get an image of South Park's Eric Cartman whacking someone with a police nightstick shouting "You will respect my authoritah!!"??

kronas
04-09-2003, 13:58
Why did my brain just get an image of South Park's Eric Cartman whacking someone with a police nightstick shouting "You will respect my authoritah!!"??

maybe because it would be me whacking you with the stick yet you getting your own back on me jackass

*runs and hides with his tail between his legs like the whining little wimp he is :eek:

Russ
04-09-2003, 14:04
OK I'll stop now :D

kronas
04-09-2003, 14:10
OK I'll stop now :D

im so going to bring my cross and bible and hunt you down like a vampire...........:mad:

Russ
04-09-2003, 14:10
Back OT now methinks.....

kronas
04-09-2003, 14:12
Back OT now methinks.....

so russ do you admit to accessing the service last sunday after your drunken state the previous night

*shock horror russ missed a service :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Russ
04-09-2003, 14:12
What in the name of Bovril are you talking about??

kronas
04-09-2003, 14:14
What in the name of Bovril are you talking about??

the topic russine remember sunday web service hence the accessing comment i made:rolleyes: :p

Russ
04-09-2003, 14:15
Well seeing as I go to church on a sunday at 6pm (hence I'm never online at that time) I can't say it bothers me....plus the fact I don't go to church to listen to a sermon.

kronas
04-09-2003, 14:17
Well seeing as I go to church on a sunday at 6pm (hence I'm never online at that time) I can't say it bothers me....plus the fact I don't go to church to listen to a sermon.

ah i see i thought sunday service is at 12 or 1pm ?

but as you said you dont listen to the seamen oops i mean sermon :D ;)

Russ
04-09-2003, 14:20
Originally posted by kronas
ah i see i thought sunday service is at 12 or 1pm ?

No, some are, some aren't.

Oh yes, I forgot, all religions are the same aren't they..... :rolleyes:

kronas
04-09-2003, 14:23
No, some are, some aren't.

ok...........

Oh yes, I forgot, all religions are the same aren't they..... :rolleyes:

no dont be so silly russine that is far from the case the only thing they have in common is they feed people BS :p

Russ
04-09-2003, 14:24
Whilst I'm determined to keep my record of never banning anyone from this or the other site, it's comments like that which make it very tempting to do a bit of editting....

kronas
04-09-2003, 14:26
Whilst I'm determined to keep my record of never banning anyone from this or the other site, it's comments like that which make it very tempting to do a bit of editting....

i think we have already proved you like editing posts but when i do 'it' and its a threat when you do 'it' its a joke

*cough double standards *cough

Russ
04-09-2003, 14:28
No, I've actually only ever editted 2 posts in jest and both were yours today, both of which I claimed responsibility for straight away.

kronas
04-09-2003, 15:51
No, I've actually only ever editted 2 posts in jest and both were yours today, both of which I claimed responsibility for straight away.

yes i know russ but thats not a nice thing to do :nono: :nono: :nono: :D

Russ
04-09-2003, 16:44
And neither is referring to what churches preach as 'BS'.

kronas
04-09-2003, 16:47
And neither is referring to what churches preach as 'BS'.

come on russ you know i was winding you up do i get all moddy when you call avril..............you know:rolleyes:

Russ
04-09-2003, 16:48
You could if you were actually a mod.....

kronas
04-09-2003, 16:50
You could if you were actually a mod.....

no i wouldnt id show tolerance if i was given a position of power i am sensible :D

Russ
04-09-2003, 16:52
Yeah ok - anyone else bored of this conversation now?

Back OT plz.

Bifta
04-09-2003, 17:56

*puts his hand up* (and I've only just started reading it)

Chris
04-09-2003, 18:59

Back OT plz.

Right, back on topic then ...

*deep breath*

After a quick scan of the thread so far, and having read the link in kronas' original post ( here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3194805.stm) in case anyone's totally forgotten) I think a lot of the comments here miss the point. Even the story headline on bbc news missed it. The vicar stated his primary aim was to reach out to people who may never have been to church with the Christian message - going to where people are instead of expecting them to walk into a church and ask to get converted. As he put it, "Some families have not been to church for generations. To reach them we have to go where they are, and they are on their PCs"
Discussion about the benefits of personal or corporate prayer, and whether the Bible calls for one or the other, are very interesting but this on-line service was not designed to address that issue.