PDA

View Full Version : NTL Freedom 512k Broadband

j52c
22-01-2005, 13:05
Hi.
For the last 3 days I have inconsistant download speeds using Dan Elwell's Speed Tester (registered).

On one occassion it was down to 175kbs, while upload speeds are in the region of 216kbs to 246kbs

Prior to this I was getting 90%-94% efficiency download speeds but poor upload speeds. Nothing has changed on my system all XP patches uptodate and latest nic drivers used.

Here is latest Dan Ewell test:-

Dan Elwell's Broadband Speed Test
Speed Test Report 05/01/22 12:32 - Quick test
Test conducted at: 22/01/2005 12:32:26
Test sequence: Quick test
Please note that these results are a snapshot of this particular moment. Run the test a few times to ensure maximum accuracy. Although the test has been constructed to be highly accurate, no guarantees can be made to the level of accuracy experienced in everyday use.
Test 1: Ping times to UK servers
Ideally, you should get a result of around 30 ms (lower is better)
meto.gov.uk: 96 ms
bbc.co.uk: 79.5 ms
worcester.ac.uk: 72 ms
This result shows serious problems with your ping times, and should be investigated.
Test 2: Ping times to European servers
Ideally, you should get a result of around 50 ms (lower is better)
free.fr: 87 ms
eu.uu.net: 71.3 ms
eu.uu.net: 74 ms
This result is much poorer than expected and should be investigated.
Test 3: Ping times to east-coast USA servers
Ideally, you should get a result of around 120 ms (lower is better)
rutgers.edu: 142.5 ms
mirror.nocservices.com: 164.5 ms
rutgers.edu: 180.5 ms
Test 4: Ping times to west-coast USA servers
Ideally, you should get a result of around 160 ms (lower is better)
mirrors.usc.edu: 234.5 ms
mirrors.tds.net: 236.3 ms
cybertrails.com: 265.5 ms
Test 5: Download speeds from UK servers
Ideally, you should get a result of around 512 Kb/s (higher is better)
apache.rmplc.co.uk: 264 Kb/s
This result shows serious problems with your downloads, and should be investigated.
Test 6: Upload speeds to the Speed Test Server
Ideally, you should get a result of around 256 Kb/s (higher is better)
broadbandspeedtest.net: 251 Kb/s
Results of this test indicate no problems.
Test 7: Packet loss en route to a UK server
Ideally, you should get a result of around 0 % (lower is better)
gold.ac.uk: 0 %
linx.net: 0 %
The results of this test indicate no problems.
End of testing.
This report was collated using Dan Elwell's Broadband Speed Test. For more information or to download, please visit www.broadbandspeedtest.net (http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/).
Generated 22/01/2005 12:32:26 using test version 3.0.316 - registered copy

-------------------------------------
It would be handy if anyone has an idea before I ring Tech Support (75p a minute on freedom) because the last time I rang them, it cost me £9.43 only to find out the problem was at their end and not mine.

By the way, I am using a Belkin F5D7632-4 modem/router/wireless with Windows XP Pro SP2.

Tried the usual stuff, powering everything down, then rebooting, still the same.

Thanking you for any advice.

paulyoung666
22-01-2005, 14:41
have you tried a direct connection into the pc rather than going thru the router :)

rdhw
22-01-2005, 15:04
On one occassion it was down to 175kbs, while upload speeds are in the region of 216kbs to 246kbsThe test ping times are all too high. A possible cause of this is congestion on your DSL connection because of some network traffic running with background applications of which you might not be aware. For instance, if you have any P2P applications, close them right down (don't even allow than in the background or system tray). Run a check on your PC for spyware/adware.

Next, to eliminate any problems with the wireless link, run the test again with your PC directly wired into your modem/router, and the router's wireless capability disabled. A possible problem might be with a neighbour's wireless network on the same channel, or maybe another neighbour is leeching off your wireless and your DSL connection.

have you tried a direct connection into the pc rather than going thru the routerHe can't. It's a combined DSL modem/router, not cable.

paulyoung666
22-01-2005, 16:33
He can't. It's a combined DSL modem/router, not cable.

well there you go , brain death on my part :Yikes:

j52c
22-01-2005, 17:07
The test ping times are all too high. A possible cause of this is congestion on your DSL connection because of some network traffic running with background applications of which you might not be aware. For instance, if you have any P2P applications, close them right down (don't even allow than in the background or system tray). Run a check on your PC for spyware/adware.

Next, to eliminate any problems with the wireless link, run the test again with your PC directly wired into your modem/router, and the router's wireless capability disabled. A possible problem might be with a neighbour's wireless network on the same channel, or maybe another neighbour is leeching off your wireless and your DSL connection.

He can't. It's a combined DSL modem/router, not cable.

Hi thanks for the reply....

Have disabled the wireless and still get similar results.

Have no spyware installed at all, got a clean system, I use Pest Patrol to check that. Only thing that runs in the background is McFee internet security suite 6. 2005. Don't use any pere to peer. This has only been happenning the last 3 days.

j52c
23-01-2005, 15:33
Hi.

Decided to do a new complete install of xp.

With nothing else installed, just bare xp, the test results are similar.

Maybe someone can pick something out of this:-

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\JimC>tracert www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk/) 212.58.224.123
Tracing route to www23.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.123]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms BelkinModem.Belkin [192.168.2.1]
2 75 ms 45 ms 44 ms brnt-bam-1.inet.ntl.com [62.253.189.142]
3 109 ms 113 ms 117 ms brnt-t2core-b-ge-wan64.inet.ntl.com [213.105.199.209]
4 93 ms 59 ms 86 ms bre-bb-b-so-330-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.61]
5 137 ms 118 ms 119 ms bre-bb-a-ae0-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.172.86]
6 138 ms 192 ms 163 ms redb-ic-1-so-010-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.188.106]
7 127 ms 97 ms 129 ms 212.58.238.189
8 92 ms 89 ms 86 ms 212.58.238.133
9 139 ms 102 ms 112 ms www23.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.123]
Trace complete.
------------------------------------------------
So it doesn't appear to be anything I have installed.

Thanking you for your support.

paulyoung666
23-01-2005, 16:34
pings are way high there :disturbd: , just tried myself and the times were at least 75% less than yours :erm: , is it posssible to specify a different proxie ??????? :)

j52c
23-01-2005, 16:55
pings are way high there :disturbd: , just tried myself and the times were at least 75% less than yours :erm: , is it posssible to specify a different proxie ??????? :)

Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure how to do that, or if it could be done. I would like to try that if anyone can tell me how to do it, as I am becoming more convinced the problem is not at my end.

rdhw
23-01-2005, 17:14
pings are way high there, is it posssible to specify a different proxie ???????Ping times are unaffected by proxy settings. Changing proxies will not help j52c.

I am becoming more convinced the problem is not at my end.If you are quite sure that your wireless router is not being leeched upon by a neighbour, then report this problem to NTL technical support.

paulyoung666
23-01-2005, 17:20
Ping times are unaffected by proxy settings. Changing proxies will not help j52c.

If you are quite sure that your wireless router is not being leeched upon by a neighbour, then report this problem to NTL technical support.

tell you what , i will sit on the sidelines and let yourself sort it out

Raistlin
23-01-2005, 17:21
If you want to check that nobody else is using your wireless setup you could download netsumbler from here:

http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

Should give you a good view of what connections are taking place in your immediate area.

j52c
23-01-2005, 17:22
Ping times are unaffected by proxy settings. Changing proxies will not help j52c.

If you are quite sure that your wireless router is not being leeched upon by a neighbour, then report this problem to NTL technical support.

Hi.

I am quite sure as I have wireless disabled.

I will have to do that then. can i do it by email or do i have to call them. I emailed them the other day about it and I got the usual stuff about Spyware and System resources, ( I even sent the info from a speed test I had done) which I now know it is not.
Thanks again.

JohnHorb
23-01-2005, 17:22
According to post #5, it's nowt to do with wireless. Sounds like an NTL problem to me.

Raistlin
23-01-2005, 17:23
Hi.

I am quite sure as I have wireless disabled.

Have you disabled it on the router or on your machine though? Sorry, don't want this to turn into a debate on wireless connections just want to make sure that this has been completely ruled out as a possible cause.

TBH, it does sound more like a connection problem than a problem with your settings.

j52c
23-01-2005, 17:55
Have you disabled it on the router or on your machine though? Sorry, don't want this to turn into a debate on wireless connections just want to make sure that this has been completely ruled out as a possible cause.

TBH, it does sound more like a connection problem than a problem with your settings.

Hi thanks for the reply.

I have disabled it on the the router.

Neil
24-01-2005, 08:02
Just remember that ntl Freedom Tech Support is charged at (something like) 75p per minute.....:Yikes:

j52c
24-01-2005, 08:16
Just remember that ntl Freedom Tech Support is charged at (something like) 75p per minute.....:Yikes:

Hi.

I know that, as I said in my first post, it cost me £9.43 over christmas when I was on dialup only to find out that the fault then was with NTL, I wasn't amused.

Looks like that is what I have to do again or put up with it.

Hi.

Before I get intouch with Tech Support, just thought I would show you this test I did a few minutes ago. This is the type of connection I was getting before this started :-

Dan Elwell's Broadband Speed Test
Speed Test Report 05/01/24 08:05 - Quick test
Test conducted at: 24/01/2005 08:05:00
Test sequence: Quick test
Please note that these results are a snapshot of this particular moment. Run the test a few times to ensure maximum accuracy. Although the test has been constructed to be highly accurate, no guarantees can be made to the level of accuracy experienced in everyday use.
Test 1: Ping times to UK servers
Ideally, you should get a result of around 30 ms (lower is better)
swansea.ac.uk: 32.8 ms
worcester.ac.uk: 31.5 ms
vantage.myby.co.uk: 30 ms
Test 2: Ping times to European servers
Ideally, you should get a result of around 50 ms (lower is better)
uni-kl.de: 55.3 ms
gmd.de: 53.3 ms
sunet.se: 67.5 ms
Test 3: Ping times to east-coast USA servers
Ideally, you should get a result of around 120 ms (lower is better)
unet.brandeis.edu: 132.3 ms
club.cc.cmu.edu: 111.8 ms
mirror.nocservices.com: 99.5 ms
Test 4: Ping times to west-coast USA servers
Ideally, you should get a result of around 160 ms (lower is better)
berkeley.edu: 182.3 ms
redhat.netnitco.net: 188 ms
ucla.edu: 185.5 ms
Test 5: Download speeds from UK servers
Ideally, you should get a result of around 512 Kb/s (higher is better)
mirror.ac.uk: 479 Kb/s
Test 6: Upload speeds to the Speed Test Server
Ideally, you should get a result of around 256 Kb/s (higher is better)
broadbandspeedtest.net: 255 Kb/s
Test 7: Packet loss en route to a UK server
Ideally, you should get a result of around 0 % (lower is better)
cardiff.ac.uk: 2 %
swansea.ac.uk: 0 %
A small amount of packet loss has been detected. This should be investigated.
End of testing.
-----------------------

Quite a difference.................