PDA

View Full Version : 1.5mb problem downloads running @ 30k/sec

Gregstac
22-01-2005, 10:33
My broadband connection is the max 1.5 mb from ntl, over the last week i noticed my speed on the net and downloading was very slow, i have checked my bandwidth with about 6 different speed test sites and also used the Dan Elwells software as recommended by NTL and they all show im only getting a download of 30 k/sec. I have been through the tick list with some guy based somewhere on the other side of the world and he has said it must be my computer.
Is there anychance that NTL's system is saying im getting the 1.5mb connection yet their system has me on their lower 300k package?:confused:

JohnHorb
22-01-2005, 10:43
:welcome: A good start might be to try the check outlined in this article:-

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=18

If that give the right result, I suggest you post the model of your modem or set-top box. Might help someone else here with further suggestions.

Gregstac
22-01-2005, 10:59
Hi again
I went to the web pages as said and after putting in login and password the test then fails saying that it cannnot detect my modem or mac address, i have given the mac address twice this morning whilst on the phone to NTL tech support so cant see why the stie should report that it does not have it.
to give some more insight i am running the following:
windows xp pro sp2
virus scan 8
windows xp firewall
all software is up to date with any updates from microsoft etc.
model of modem is Ntl Home 200.
I have tried disabling all virus software etc and firewall but still get same results.

dvboy
22-01-2005, 11:02
Remember, your download speed will only be as fast as the speed its being uploaded to you at.

JohnHorb
22-01-2005, 11:16
Remember, your download speed will only be as fast as the speed its being uploaded to you at.

That wouldn't cause multiple speed tests to give bad results though. Definately sounds like some thing is wrong.

Have you checked the Server Status (link at the foot of this page) to see if you are in one of the areas with known problems?

Raistlin
22-01-2005, 11:28
Have you tried the old chestnut of turning everything off (including the STB or Modem) and then turning it all back on again?

make sure you allow the STB or CM to settle before you turn you PC or router on.

:welcome: to CF BTW :D

Raist.

Gregstac
22-01-2005, 12:46
yep i have tried turning it all off, i even had it all turned off for a few hours last night and that didnt help. Have tried another comp now on my connection and that is getting the same speeds.

Oh and thanks for the welcomes by the way

homealone
22-01-2005, 15:15
have you tried looking in the modem diagnostic pages?

if you browse to

http://192.168.100.1

user name & password is 'admin' (without the quotes)

click on the operation configuration link & check what is says for 'maximum downstream data rate'

for 1.5Mb it should be 1500000 bps

:)

BBKing
22-01-2005, 15:31
PM me the modem's MAC address and I'll check for you.

JohnHorb
22-01-2005, 15:34
BBK works for NTL, as I'm sure a mod will confirm.

Hom3r
22-01-2005, 23:12
I myself tried the ip address above on my CM but it didn't work.

Does anybody know the IP address for the Teyron TJ210 CM

paulyoung666
23-01-2005, 09:13
I myself tried the ip address above on my CM but it didn't work.

Does anybody know the IP address for the Teyron TJ210 CM

you cant with the tj210 :( , and if i remember correctly docsdiag wont work now either :(

Ignition
23-01-2005, 09:34
If BBK hasn't sorted you feel free to send me your IP address and will check your service level.

BBKing
23-01-2005, 10:36
Definitely on 300k there :(

Gregstac
24-01-2005, 09:22
My broadband connection is the max 1.5 mb from ntl, over the last week i noticed my speed on the net and downloading was very slow, i have checked my bandwidth with about 6 different speed test sites and also used the Dan Elwells software as recommended by NTL and they all show im only getting a download of 30 k/sec. I have been through the tick list with some guy based somewhere on the other side of the world and he has said it must be my computer.
Is there anychance that NTL's system is saying im getting the 1.5mb connection yet their system has me on their lower 300k package?:confused:

PROBLEM SOLVED THANKS FOR READING AND HELPING!!;)