PDA

View Full Version : Slice of haggis, anyone?

Theodoric
21-01-2005, 20:44
I'm not a Scotsman, but I do like an occasional haggis. I therefore now have a small one in readiness for 25 January. I shall have with tatties and neeps, but I shall omit an accompanying glass of Scotch.

Dumpty
21-01-2005, 20:53
Never eaten haggis, but from all accounts it is supposed to be very nice.

ZrByte
21-01-2005, 21:57
I'm not a Scotsman, but I do like an occasional haggis. I therefore now have a small one in readiness for 25 January. I shall have with tatties and neeps, but I shall omit an accompanying glass of Scotch.

Ive always wanted to try it but never gotten the opportunity. could you describe the type of taste it has? is it spicey? Savoury? etc

Providing its not spicey I think I'll give it a go :D

Chimaera
21-01-2005, 22:02
I've eaten haggis at a Burns Night. I'm fairly fussy about food (I'll eat liver and kidneys but not hearts, sweetbreads, black pudding or anything else like that :sick: ), but I was pleasantly surprised when I had the haggis, neeps and tatties. Wasn't too impressed with the neat Scotch though, I just had water! :D Oh and I avoided the 'casing' as I think that's a sheep's stomach? :sick:

Ive always wanted to try it but never gotten the opportunity. could you describe the type of taste it has? is it spicey? Savoury? etc

It's no more spicy than sage and onion stuffing really - quite tasty. They have them in Marks and Spencer's too!

Halcyon
21-01-2005, 22:03
I've never tried it but I'm prepared to try everything atleast once.
Hope you enjoy it. Have fun.

BBKing
21-01-2005, 22:06
I'm no Scot, although my other half is half-Scottish (or is my other quarter Scottish? No matter). However, haggis, neaps, tatties and Scotch strikes me as having the four real food groups* in perfect balance - you can keep your Atkins diet.

Altogether now -

"The rank is but the guinea's stamp,
The man 's the gowd for a' tha'"

*Meat, Spuds, Veg, Booze.

Chimaera
21-01-2005, 22:15
I'm no Scot, although my other half is half-Scottish (or is my other quarter Scottish? No matter). However, haggis, neaps, tatties and Scotch strikes me as having the four real food groups* in perfect balance - you can keep your Atkins diet.

Altogether now -

"The rank is but the guinea's stamp,
The man 's the gowd for a' tha'"

*Meat, Spuds, Veg, Booze.
Now everyone knows there are 5 main food groups - you missed out chocolate! :D

Halcyon
21-01-2005, 22:39
LOL

Don't mention that !!! I've had far too much chocolate this Christmas !!!

At a loss
21-01-2005, 23:00
I love the stuff but her in doors hates it.

But have you seen that you can now get it in tins! :mad: yes tins :Yikes: . But when following the cooking instructions it always sticks and burns unless you add liquid to it and it does not taste anything like traditional hagis.

Theodoric
24-01-2005, 19:46

I'd say savoury and slightly spicey - by no means overpowering. I'd describe it as vaguely similar to black pudding.

Russ
24-01-2005, 19:58
Aparently I'll be eating some live on air on the show tomorrow night - and boy am I looking forward to it :erm:

bopdude
24-01-2005, 19:58
I had the pleasure of trying my first haggis ( without case ) in Inverness, served with a full English breakfast, fantastic in small portions IMHO

paulyoung666
24-01-2005, 20:01
Aparently I'll be eating some live on air on the show tomorrow night - and boy am I looking forward to it :erm:

now that should be fun , pity i cant tune into it :( :D :D :D

TheBlueRaja
24-01-2005, 20:36

No need to worry mate - its tastes superb.

Had some today in fact - counld'nt wait till tomorrow. :D I bet you like it.

Stephen
24-01-2005, 20:39
Haggis is great. my 2cents

ikthius
24-01-2005, 20:58
If I remember correctly, there is no sheeps stomach any more, more a case of what pork sausages are cased in.

I am scottish & I have never tried it, I am the most fussy eater in the world, but if it is anything like black pudding I will have a wee taste. black pudding is brilliant........the blood an' awe tha'.

ik

gary_580
24-01-2005, 22:08
Oh and I avoided the 'casing' as I think that's a sheep's stomach? :sick:

yes your right, it is. How ever the stuff ibnside it is very gross if you see them being made.

I love a good haggis, nip to your local butcher and see if they have a McSweens haggis. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm cant wait till tomorrow night

andygrif
25-01-2005, 00:55

I love haggis too....although by no means a connoisseur they do vary in quality between brands. I can't remember the brand name but the ones in Waitrose that look quite traditional and have a yellow label are very good.

Wasn't too impressed with the neat Scotch though, I just had water!

It's okay to have a drop of water in your Scotch, I find it brings out the flavour much more...as long as it's a good single malt of course!

yes your right, it is. How ever the stuff ibnside it is very gross if you see them being made.

I think that if we actually saw how most things we eat is actually made we'd all become veggies :LOL:

Earl of Bronze
25-01-2005, 02:10

Haggis is :drool:

There's a butchers in Belfast that does the best Haggis I've ever tasted. Any time a Scottish Regiment was posted to Northern Ireland, they always got their Haggis frm said butcher. Yummy. :D