PDA

View Full Version : Modem

AlanYork
21-01-2005, 05:18
The Sync light on my cable modem isnt on but the U/S and D/S lights are flashing away. I seem to be able to access the net ok, I've sent a test e mail from one address to another, it came ok, I'm receiving e mails ok and generally everything seems fine.

I've read that the sync light should normally be on and the U/S and D/S off. Do I have to brave the "horror" of NTLs call centre again or do I have nothing to be concerned about?

Neil
21-01-2005, 07:44
This should tell you all you need to know: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/lights.html

HTH.

JohnHorb
21-01-2005, 08:00
Could just be the LED has gone? Reading Sir Robin's notes, the Sync light should be on, and the other two indicate traffic. I think normally, the Sync light off indicates you have no connection, but obviously not in this case!

AlanYork
21-01-2005, 18:17
I restarted my modem and my pc and that solved it. Any ideas as to why I lost the synchronicity and why I was still able to get on the net? I thought that without sync, you were scr**ed basically.

daxx
21-01-2005, 19:38
<snip>I was still able to get on the net? I thought that without sync, you were scr**ed basically.

[:rolleyes:]
Its NTL

'their' equipment sometimes doesn't behave logically (according to some of the 'hell' stories we read c/w the fix) and the NTL Dictionary defintion of scr**ed doesn't appear to be the same one held by the rest of the world

[/:rolleyes:]

JohnHorb
21-01-2005, 21:53
It works, when logically it shouldn't, and STILL we complain? :shrug: