PDA

View Full Version : anorexia

kronas
31-08-2003, 01:08
what do you instantly think of when you hear that word ?

a person who obviously has a problem more to the point a 'girls' problem then you would be mistaken.......

the bbc has learned that boys are suffreing from anorexia its not just a female thing anymore here is an example.........

george ramsay who is 13 developed an eating disorder and saw his weight sink to 6.5 stone

He told the BBC: "I always used to be, not fat, but fairly chunky, I wanted to get fit for the rugby season.

"I cut out fat in my meals - I thought it would make me fat again. I also cut out carbohydrates as well as much as possible."

"At that stage I was drastically ill. My energy levels were zilch. I was sleeping half the day.

"It was very difficult to eat. I could eat, but the feeling afterwards was terrible, I felt so awful.

the gp had failed to make a diagnosis but eventually george got the help he needed and has made a recovery

so why are doctors failing to make proper diagnosises of illness such as this is it because they think it wont happen to boys ?

Lord Nikon
31-08-2003, 01:40
well... read for yourself the stories that abound about doctors who send people home with painkillers for broken bones, other doctors who tell people who are terminally ill that there is nothing wrong with them, doctors who prescribe anti inflamatories for people who have cancer... you decide why they don't pick up on things :D

kronas
31-08-2003, 01:44
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
well... read for yourself the stories that abound about doctors who send people home with painkillers for broken bones, other doctors who tell people who are terminally ill that there is nothing wrong with them, doctors who prescribe anti inflamatories for people who have cancer... you decide why they don't pick up on things :D

typical so called 'experts' in there profession out smarted by a supposed average person yes i believe the class system regins supreme just because i have a phd makes you the idiot :rolleyes:

Chimaera
31-08-2003, 09:03
Could it be because some doctors are - I hesitate to use the word - sexist?
Like women who go to the doctors with chest pains - and are told (with a pat on the head!) to go home and take some rennies because it's 'obviously' indigestion, only to be rushed into coronary care later that night and be told they have a chronic heart condition!!
I think a lot of them don't realise that patients are not like the text books - men can get breast cancer for example, and very young children have been known to have strokes. Some doctors seem to ignore obvious symptoms. :(

Bex
31-08-2003, 16:17
i think that doctors are pretty damn crap......ive heard of someone who wasn't eating, they went to the docs for advice and we're just told to eat three meals a day! great advice NOT

i also think in general docs are too happy to perscribe anti-depressants without actually finding out the root problem of the person! thus im not surprised that docs dont always pick up on anoerxia reagardless of gender:shrug:

kronas
31-08-2003, 16:26
i think there is a hint of some generalisations creeping in to doctors minds just because the symptoms maybe be similar to something which alot of people may have does not mean the diagnosis is correct in a particular case

Bex
31-08-2003, 20:44
Originally posted by kronas
i think there is a hint of some generalisations creeping in to doctors minds just because the symptoms maybe be similar to something which alot of people may have does not mean the diagnosis is correct in a particular case
for once i agree with you! there's a definate sense of docs perscribing and doing quick consulatations just because they are over worked :shrug: :td:

kronas
31-08-2003, 20:47
Originally posted by bexy
for once i agree with you! there's a definate sense of docs perscribing and doing quick consulatations just because they are over worked :shrug: :td:

i dont think its the majorty that are over worked i think its more down to not having enough time to see all the patients thoroughly enough

Ramrod
31-08-2003, 20:49
for once i agree with you! there's a definate sense of docs perscribing and doing quick consulatations just because they are over worked :shrug: :td: that and just plain stupidity coupled with arrogance:(

Bex
31-08-2003, 20:56
Originally posted by Ramrod
that and just plain stupidity coupled with arrogance:(
i've had huge rows with my doctors surgery because he perscribed me something without doing my blood pressure or asking me important questions :mad:

Bex
31-08-2003, 20:58
i dont think its the majorty that are over worked i think its more down to not having enough time to see all the patients thoroughly enough

surely that would indicate that they didnt have enuff time to spend with patience because they have to many to see and therefore are overworked? :shrug:

Stuart
31-08-2003, 21:09

It seems that GPs are icreasingly mis-diagnosing conditions. Anorexia seems to be one of these.

I think that part of the problem is that GPs probably don't get much time to update their knowledge in what is a very fast moving field.

Maybe GPs should re-train every 3 years or so?

Jules
01-09-2003, 13:29
What do I think when I hear the word Anorexia,,,,saddness, it is a terrible illness for any one to suffer from be they male or female and I am not even going to get started on Doctors and mis diagnosing people!

Ramrod
01-09-2003, 16:03
Originally posted by scastle
It seems that GPs are icreasingly mis-diagnosing conditions. Anorexia seems to be one of these.

I think that part of the problem is that GPs probably don't get much time to update their knowledge in what is a very fast moving field.

Maybe GPs should re-train every 3 years or so? I thought that they were on a rolling post-grad education program already....

orangebird
01-09-2003, 16:24
My best friend was anorexic.

Much as I love her, I can honestly say I still think she was the most selfish cow in the world, for putting her family and friends what they went through. Whilst she was in hospital (4 months in the end), every time she was getting weighed, she would drink a couple of pints of water, just so a couple of extra pounds would show. Then obviously, as soon as she went to the loo, the weight was gone again.

I don't want to sound completely heartless...I can't imagine what the person with this disorder is going through, but it usually starts because of vanity or insecurity. The reason why people stay anorexic is because it degenerate into a mental disorder which affects your physical appearance. If there are any anorexics reading this now - if you're too far gone to care about yourself, don't be so selfish and at least try to have a little consideration for those around you who are desperate to support you. It's not only your own life you're ruining. :(

kink
01-09-2003, 18:09
Originally posted by orangebird
My best friend was anorexic.

Much as I love her, I can honestly say I still think she was the most selfish cow in the world, for putting her family and friends what they went through. Whilst she was in hospital (4 months in the end), every time she was getting weighed, she would drink a couple of pints of water, just so a couple of extra pounds would show. Then obviously, as soon as she went to the loo, the weight was gone again.

I don't want to sound completely heartless...I can't imagine what the person with this disorder is going through, but it usually starts because of vanity or insecurity. The reason why people stay anorexic is because it degenerate into a mental disorder which affects your physical appearance. If there are any anorexics reading this now - if you're too far gone to care about yourself, don't be so selfish and at least try to have a little consideration for those around you who are desperate to support you. It's not only your own life you're ruining. :(

Your being heartless has nothing to do with it.... it's more to do with what you say being pointless.
That's like telling people who are about to commit suicide that they're being selfish..... like they care??? The whole point of being suicidal is that you don't care, not about yourself, nor the people around you. People who become anorexic do NOT set about to become that way..... it starts as easily as getting out of bed. Anorexia has been linked to other disorders and emotional trauma, not vanity. Dieting can be linked to vanity and anorexia is not dieting, it's a mental illness. You say that if you're too far gone to care about yourself then at least spare a thought for the others that do care...... i'm afraid if you don't care what happens to yourself then caring about others is nonsensical :( Both boys and girls (the age of sufferers is getting frighteningly younger) are seeking to be acceptable... physically...... by their peers and the rest of society, possibly because we, as a society, focus all our attention on how people appear and not how they are. The weight issue is rarely the true psychological problem that allows for anorexia to develop. It's about powerlessness and is seen as an enabling process.... however, it's something that is more powerful than the individual and cannot be harnessed, which leads to misery and possibly death.
You make it sound like a choice that people make.... hardly anything in life is that easy :(
As far as the GPs are concerned, most have a maximum of 5 mins per patient.... a rueful shame but necessary. Misdiagnosis of anorexia? Not surprised.... there are hardly any anorexics that will admit to being anorexic, so in that 5 minutes the GP can only learn what you're prepared to tell them.... anorexics are expert liars, they live by lying to everyone, including themselves.
Them being selfish is not even a consideration.... if you think that by going on a diet that it would lead to anorexia then you wouldn't diet in the first place. But we're all advised to lose weight or become fitter all the time.... most of us can handle it without becoing ill.... the others that DO become ill have other issues to deal with. A GP is not the person to do it :(
By the time anorexics are diagnosed... it's too late and the cycle has begun.

Bex
02-09-2003, 12:56

i'm sorry but i think you completely misunderstand the illness. yes it can come in some part to insecurities but from my experience it is generally the result of a deeper issue......maybe something the person has experienced and it has screwed them up or whatever...........it may seem selfish to you but have you ever hated yourself so much that you want to change? thats what it can be like with anorexia. you hate yourself, and want to change everything about you, and possibly consider suicide but think that would be selfish.

i understand that you have experienced the other side of anorexia, as a friend of someone, and i can see where you're coming from but i dont agree with you

orangebird
02-09-2003, 13:49
i'm sorry but i think you completely misunderstand the illness. yes it can come in some part to insecurities but from my experience it is generally the result of a deeper issue......maybe something the person has experienced and it has screwed them up or whatever...........it may seem selfish to you but have you ever hated yourself so much that you want to change? thats what it can be like with anorexia. you hate yourself, and want to change everything about you, and possibly consider suicide but think that would be selfish.

i understand that you have experienced the other side of anorexia, as a friend of someone, and i can see where you're coming from but i dont agree with you

You don't have to agree Bexy, but I really take offence to you saying that I completely misunderstand the illness - I have been through thick and thin with my friend for the past 13 years through all this, I understand perfectly well (as much I can without actually being anorexic).

Bex
02-09-2003, 16:24
You don't have to agree Bexy, but I really take offence to you saying that I completely misunderstand the illness - I have been through thick and thin with my friend for the past 13 years through all this, I understand perfectly well (as much I can without actually being anorexic).

ok i apologise! i think noone can truly understand it though unless they've been there!

ntluser
02-09-2003, 17:40
Anorexia sadly is a psychological condition which has physiological and social implications.

Anorexics tend to suffer from low self-esteem and often perceive themselves in a different way to those around them.

They perceive themselves as fat or overweight while friends and family may see them as normal to begin with but have concerns when they lose weight.

Much of what is happening is in the mind so observers find it hard to understand why a person seems to be starving themselves to death.

Invariably, treatment of anorexics will involve people with psychological or psychiatric skills i.e. qualified mental health professionals but for the average person it can be soul-destroying watching somebody they love starve themselves without understanding why and feeling unable to help into the bargain.