PDA

View Full Version : Water, water everywhere

Theodoric
22-06-2003, 21:00
Interesting article in yesterday's Grauniad Weekend magazine about bottled water. Personally, I am quite prepared to carry on using Thames Water's best and save the money. OK, we've got a Brita filter, but that's only because the tap water is like liquid chalk and can fur up the kettle simply by looking at it.

The only time I am prepared to use bottled stuff is when it's free at meetings, and then I prefer the carbonated stuff. (I also like it when they put a few little bowls of mints on the table).

Maggy
22-06-2003, 21:04
I used to drink the tap water quite happily until last year when I occasionally smelt rotten eggs first thing in the morning.It has put me off so I only drink it if it has been boiled now.Anyway I buy the cheapest generic from my local supermarket.

Incog.

Chimaera
22-06-2003, 21:22
We were forbidden to drink the tap water where I work (council offices!) due to the presence of bacteria! :eek:
We were eventually given those water cooler things - much better!

Steve H
22-06-2003, 21:23
I drink water anywhere I can get ahold of it :eek:.. I also grab a drink from the upstairs taps, which come from the tank upstairs :O

bopdude
22-06-2003, 21:34
I think a lot of it has to do with your body's resiliance, by that i mean that some people can get sick from the slightest thing.

I have an " iron " constitution, or so i thought untill a recent trip to spain, something knocked me for 6 and that was the end of me

kronas
22-06-2003, 21:38
i read an article once its on the bbc site somewhere that they did a reaction test on people who drink fizzy drinks those dehydrated and those who are thirsty and those who drank water were 15% slower at reacting compaired to a fizzy drinker :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

bopdude
22-06-2003, 21:42
Originally posted by kronas
i read an article once its on the bbc site somewhere that they did a reaction test on people who drink fizzy drinks those dehydrated and those who are thirsty and those who drank water were 15% slower at reacting compaired to a fizzy drinker :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thats only because the " caffine " its changed now but still the chemicals are the same ( all meant to make you crave more ) keep \ make your senses alert in the short term. In the long term hydrated drinks WILL dehydrate you more, H2O is the baby to drink :beer:

patrickp
22-06-2003, 21:45
In addition which, although your reactions may be faster on caffeine, your judgement is likely to be worse.

kronas
22-06-2003, 21:46
glad i dont drink coffee then..............

zoombini
23-06-2003, 10:29
Dont forget that you also use water in cooking.

Do you use bottled water to cook your potatoes etc too?

I read a water report once & there are traces of "poo" in it... :D

bopdude
23-06-2003, 10:34
Originally posted by zoombini
Dont forget that you also use water in cooking.

Do you use bottled water to cook your potatoes etc too?

I read a water report once & there are traces of "poo" in it... :D

Traces !!!! I would have thought that there would be, i mean you cant filter \ clean everything out can you ???

Ramrod
23-06-2003, 10:47
Britta filter for us:)
Thinking of getting one of those under-the-sink osmotic systems

iadom
23-06-2003, 10:53
Not only does the North West have the cheapest and the best beer in the UK, but our tap water is very soft and tastes wonderful.:)

Taf
23-06-2003, 19:42
I've seen bottled water turn a nasty green colour in supermarkets over several days... too much daylight. So if algae will grow in it... it must be healthy!

I lived near the town of Spa in Belgium... nasty, nasty mineral water there....

A message for all those English people getting their water supply from Wales.... I pee in it......:wavey: ...so do sheep:D

Chimaera
23-06-2003, 20:06
Originally posted by iadom
Not only does the North West have the cheapest and the best beer in the UK, but our tap water is very soft and tastes wonderful.:)
Mmmmmm......Buxton Spring Water, fresh from the tap near the town centre!

Theodoric
23-06-2003, 20:11
Originally posted by Ramrod
Britta filter for us:)
Thinking of getting one of those under-the-sink osmotic systems
Reverse osmosis? That's what they use as one of the initial stages in top of the range laboratory water purification systems. But not the only thing. My memory's a bit rusty now, but you'll also have some ion exchange and some activated carbon 'polishing' as well. A really good system will set you back a few thousand pounds. Mind, it would be totally OTT for household use.

Z4pp4
23-06-2003, 21:12
Urban legend that London water has passed through seven lots of kidneys before it reaches the sea.

Government research has confirmed the theory that male fertility may have dropped because of female hormones from the contraceptive pill in the drinking water.Statistics are high in London areas.

Urban legend...

I think not !

Fr4nk

Theodoric
23-06-2003, 21:26
Originally posted by Z4pp4
Urban legend that London water has passed through seven lots of kidneys before it reaches the sea.

Statistics are high in London areas.
Fr4nk
The best way to get high with water is to add a generous slug of Scotch to it. On seconds thoughts, hold the water.:D

Z4pp4
23-06-2003, 21:40
Your right

Itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s all in the water
Jaffa and a Hangover juice... Who heard of good malt made in London?

Fr4nk

Chimaera
23-06-2003, 21:44
They don't MAKE good malt whisky in London - but you can BUY plenty! :D

Ramrod
23-06-2003, 21:58
Originally posted by Theodoric
A really good system will set you back a few thousand pounds.
lol, why do you think that I'm still thinking about it?

Lord Nikon
24-06-2003, 00:58
and when you buy your dihydrogen monoxide (H2O, aka Water) just remember... Evian backwards is Naive....

Theodoric
24-06-2003, 18:36
Originally posted by Ramrod
lol, why do you think that I'm still thinking about it?
Don't panic! I'm talking about a laboratory system. I'm sure household ones are much cheaper.

Theodoric
24-06-2003, 18:40
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
and when you buy your dihydrogen monoxide (H2O, aka Water) just remember... Evian backwards is Naive....
Try www.dhmo.org for the truth about dihydrogen monoxide. Don't delay. Even as we speak it is a known fact that international water companies are trying to get this site closed down! Thank goodness some people are willing to stand up to the bully boy tactics of big business and tell us the truth. Read what it says and despair!